PDA

View Full Version : The free will

lyubomir
25th January 2012, 15:08
Hi Everyone,

Today many people start talking about the free will and how it is very important for every human. It's not something new, but I find something strange.

How do you understand that it's your free will?

How you find and understand what is exactly your free will. I hope you understand me.

For example - I have a friend that can't stop smoking. When I ask him why he don't stop smoking, is that what you want -> He told me, I don't know, I can't understand I don't want to smoke but it just happens and it's stronger then me.

I read lots about how people are manipulated global with different techniques and waves, but we should stay strong...

Could you give me a practical advice how to understand our free will? What is your experience?

Thank you in advance

All the best,

Lyubo

araucaria
25th January 2012, 16:54
Hi Lyubo and welcome to the forum.

There can be several layers to free will. Take your smoking example. There is so much fear-mongering propaganda on a packet of cigarettes these days, like "Tobacco kills" that every single time you light up may possibly be on some level an expression of free will. You may prefer to think that tobacco doesn't kil, although the countless additives they put in might not be too good for you. Then the second line of attack is to say that smoking is addictive and so you cannot stop. Nonsense: many people do just that, when they decide they are ready.

Tobacco is good for your concentration, that's what they don't tell you. And when you've concentrated a bit, you can be creative in the way you exercise your free will. In fact, being creative may be the only way to do so :)

Tony
25th January 2012, 20:47
Well, could it be that when our will is free, we are free from wilfulness?
Then we are free from habitual patterning acquired from the world around us.

Or, one could see it another way. If you see someone fall over, (and if you have a good intention) you have no choice but to help!
One day, while walking down Fleet Street in London, I noticed a man lying against a wall, groaning. All the busy, posh, nice people walking by were stepping over him - it was clear they thought he was drunk or on drugs. I went over to him, and asked if he was alright, and he groaned. I had no choice but to pick him up and carry him 100 yards to the Daily Mirror building to ask them to call an ambulance. He was ill...
The point is that I saw I had no choice: on observing all the other people, I saw that they did have choice. It was a sense of responsibility that gave me no choice - and therefore no free will!
But then again, at that moment, being unhampered by wilfulness, I was free to respond...

This is quite funny - I have seen your thread for the past couple of days, and I chose to ignore it!! But now, for some reason, I had no choice but to respond.
It's a tricky question, this idea of free will...;) but a really important one - I shall think more on it...

Oh, and welcome to PA by the way!

Tony

araucaria
25th January 2012, 20:53
Thanks Tony; The greatest exercise of free will is probably to hand it over :) This is what happens in a relationship, except that it works both ways...

Tony
25th January 2012, 20:58
Thanks Tony; The greatest exercise of free will is probably to hand it over :) This is what happens in a relationship, except that it works both ways...

Actually, that is a good point.
Generally, in a relationship, we say it should be 50/50 and that's fair - you give 50% and so does the other person. But you are actually only giving 50% and holding 50% back...it should be 100%.

But then that is talking about real love.

Tony

araucaria
25th January 2012, 21:06

Actually, that is a good point.
Generally, in a relationship, we say it should be 50/50 and that's fair - you give 50% and so does the other person. But you are actually only giving 50% and holding 50% back...it should be 100%.

But then that is talking about real love.

Tony

Then we say wrong: it is 100% - you lock the door and hand over the key; but sure, it's not very fashionable these days is it?

Wind
25th January 2012, 21:26
Ah, yes. The law of free will. If everything was totally predetermined, there would be no need for free will. It is the Creator's desire to experience itself through free will.

The will to act defines us as humang beings. Will you do something or will you not? It is always up to you.

lyubomir
25th January 2012, 21:50
Thanks for yours points of view.

For me to train my will is something very important. Because if someone has a Power and do not use it on the right way he could be like a weapon in other hands.

Before few weeks I decide to start searching the truth about the free will in my life and my thoughts. I decide in everything that I do to think - is that good for me, is that what I want, which decision is closer to the right choice, is that something part of my ideal of life and so on.

Everybody has its own understanding of himself, and exactly what kind of person to be.

For example if I am body builder and want to be the best in this area I have follow strictly some diets, exercises,sleep enough and so on. But when I go out with friends and all of them are smoking, drink a lot and so on, If I become a part of this - it will damage my ideal of life but it will be the collective will, not my will.

To live as you wish cost a lot because most of people think on another way, or they are just too tired to think about what really want.

I found an exercise on Inelia Benz website about how to understand which is your will, it's good.

We always have a choice...

About the explanation of love I can say that if two people live in harmony and understand each other, have the same point of view, there is no place to get lower then 100% of your life...

to live in harmony doesn't mean to reject the reality

Thanks for your answers Avalonians!

Lyubo