PDA

View Full Version : Not Dead Yet

RMorgan
7th February 2012, 16:03
Hey friends,

Well, this is the trailer of a very good documentary film that will be launched next year.

Itīs about Jason Becker, an absolutely fantastic guitarist, who, in the apex of his career, was diagnosed with ALS, which is a terrible disease.

Heīs certainly a very good example for all of us...

I hope you like it and go watch the doc next year! :)

wGFDWTC8B8g

Cheers,

Raf.

PS: Heīs accepting all sorts of monetary contribution in his website, to help him with this project.

seantimberwolf
7th February 2012, 16:11
Looks amazing.
what band was he in?

Tarka the Duck
7th February 2012, 16:17
Hello Raf - thanks for that.

My mum had ALS (we call it motor neurone disease in the UK) and we cared for her for 2 years until she died.
A horrible disease: 2 years of being unable to move or speak but with one's mental faculties unaffected...

Kathie

RMorgan
7th February 2012, 16:22
Looks amazing.
what band was he in?

Hey mate,

He became famous mostly for his solo albums.

Check out his website for his solo albums, discography and some audio clips. http://www.jasonbecker.com/

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Becker

"Becker started out playing alongside Marty Friedman in the Mike Varney produced-duo, Cacophony. Together, they put out an album, and toured Japan and the U.S.. While they never went mainstream in the U.S., Europeans embraced their music and they sold out almost everywhere they went. In 1989 Becker left to pursue a solo career, having released his first solo album titled 'Perpetual Burn' in 1988, and has since released Perspective and Collection, as well as two albums of demos, entitled 'The Raspberry Jams' and 'The Blackberry Jams'.

At the age of 20, he joined David Lee Roth's band, replacing Steve Vai, who went on to join Whitesnake. While recording the A Little Ain't Enough album in 1989 and managed to win the coveted Best New Guitarist award from Guitar Magazine in the process. Preparing for the subsequent tour, Becker began to feel what he called a "lazy limp" on his left leg. He was soon diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS; Lou Gehrig's Disease) and given three to five years to live. He could barely finish the recording, using low-gauge (thin) guitar strings and other techniques, which would make it easier to play with his weakening hands. Although he managed to finish the album, which was released in 1991, he did not join the supporting tour due to his inability to perform on stage; former Lizzy Borden guitarist Joe Holmes took Becker's place on tour.

Due to his illness, he eventually lost the ability to speak and now communicates with his eyes via a system developed by his father. Although his ALS gradually robbed him of his ability to play guitar, to walk, and eventually even to speak, he still remains mentally sharp and, with the aid of a computer, continues composing. In the back of the Perspective CD case, Becker states "I have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. It has crippled my body and speech, but not my mind." His medical condition has remained stable since 1997. In 2003, Becker posted on his website that he was feeling better and had gained some weight, while the folder for his 2008 album Collection also mentions an upcoming book."

Cheers,

Raf.

seantimberwolf
7th February 2012, 16:26
Thanks mate.
Ill check this out, i find the human body and what it can do is amazing.

BlueGem
7th February 2012, 16:30
Tarka, I know what you went through. It's terrible when you can't do anything, except to be there for them.

Also, Jason Becker is one of my favourites! So inspirational... and what a player!

Lisab
7th February 2012, 16:36
Thankyou Raf. I'd like to see this documentary.

jasontorque
7th February 2012, 17:03
Hello Raf - thanks for that.

My mum had ALS (we call it motor neurone disease in the UK) and we cared for her for 2 years until she died.
A horrible disease: 2 years of being unable to move or speak but with one's mental faculties unaffected...

Kathie

I too can empathise here.

conk
7th February 2012, 20:33
I wish he had The Healing Codes, by Dr. Alex Loyd. His friend, Dr. Ben Johnson, was cured of ALS using the technique. Interesting book and online course of study.