PDA

View Full Version : Learning now from environmentalism's failures

TraineeHuman
21st February 2012, 01:34
Today, more than 50% of the world's population lives in cities. The move from country to city has been accelerating for decades, and is in itself alarming. Maybe that's just one example, though, of a consequence of the fact that the environmental movement has hugely failed to "market" itself and its importance successfully, around the world?

Another example is that today, almost a majority of the population see environmental action as "extremism", carried out by "extremists". At Avalon we know that the environment truly has been trashed far worse than the MSM are willing to reveal to the public. And that that may ultimately be the biggest issue of all for the human race. Why isn't the urgency of the situation getting through? Why have many of the people in the street not heard of fracking, for instance?

In this video, Dr Peter Kareiva, Director of The Conservancy, argues that the environmental movement has used way too many of the wrong metaphors, and it's time to change them.

"Failed Metaphors and A New Environmentalism"
http://youtu.be/4BOEQkvCook

Any thoughts?

Johan (Keyholder)
22nd April 2022, 15:03
:bump::bump::bump:

Why this thread never really took off, I don't know. But I think that it is a worthy one to "bump", a little more than 10 years after it was created.

The OP wrote: "At Avalon we know that the environment truly has been trashed far worse than the MSM are willing to reveal to the public. And that that may ultimately be the biggest issue of all for the human race. Why isn't the urgency of the situation getting through? "

My personal point of view is that a main element in this matter is that the subject of "transhumanism and posthumanism" were active in the background (preparing the terrain for "where we are now" and we = humanity) but not widely known. Well, today trans/post-humanism is only known by a few percent of the population, yet 100% of humanity is carrying the burdens of it. How come?

As I am reading James Tunney's book, "Human entrance to Transhumanism", I recognize a "link" between the subject of this thread and the subject of transhumanism. "Scientism and the Deconstruction of the Human, Individual Person" (a chapter in the abovementioned book) and further Humanity RIP or the Fourth Industrial Revolution are "choices" the majority of humanity either has chosen or has been forced to accept. And at a high cost for the environment (and have a look at the presentation - the link still works (http://youtu.be/4BOEQkvCook). Now, ten years later, it is much, MUCH worse. If you want to understand why, learn about the dangers - TODAY - that transhumanism poses (to all of us).

"If MLK would have been an environmentalist, he would not have given a "I have a dream"-speech, but rather a "I have a nightmare"-speech." (quote from the presentation).