PDA

View Full Version : Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

Studeo
22nd July 2010, 03:46
Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

By Niall Firth

Last updated at 4:15 PM on 20th July 2010
Scientists have used a computer program to decipher a written language that is more than three thousand years old.
The program automatically translated the ancient written language of Ugaritic within just a few hours.

Scientists hope the breakthrough could help them decipher the few ancient languages that they have been unable to translate so far.

Ugaritic was last used around 1200 B.C. in western Syria and consists of dots on clay tablets. It was first discovered in 1920 but was not deciphered until 1932....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1296214/Computer-program-translates-ancient-language.html#ixzz0uG51X2mT

Lost Soul
22nd July 2010, 04:12
Now we'll soon read their daily correspondence. I remember reading a book on Hittite cuneiform tablets. One went something like, "I delivered a wagon of hay to you two weeks ago. When are you going to pay me?" Another was from a slave girl that read, "Master, you got me pregnant and then threw me out of your house. How am I going to care for our child?" I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugaritic stuff said the same things. Language, culture, religions may change, but human problems remain the same.:p

Studeo
22nd July 2010, 04:18
Now we'll soon read their daily correspondence. I remember reading a book on Hittite cuneiform tablets. One went something like, "I delivered a wagon of hay to you two weeks ago. When are you going to pay me?" Another was from a slave girl that read, "Master, you got me pregnant and then threw me out of your house. How am I going to care for our child?" I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugaritic stuff said the same things. Language, culture, religions may change, but human problems remain the same.:p

Ha! Thanks for that. Nothing like a bit of reality ancient text to spice things up :rolleyes:

Arpheus
22nd July 2010, 04:29
Is there a source anywhere explaining how the computer did the translation,i mean what kind of software was used and who designed it?I just don't understand how can a computer translate an ancient language?Based on what information?You gotta have something to be the base source,:nerd:of being able to translate such ancient texts right?

Studeo
22nd July 2010, 04:34
Is there a source anywhere explaining how the computer did the translation,i mean what kind of software was used and who designed it?I just don't understand how can a computer translate an ancient language?Based on what information?You gotta have something to be the base source,:nerd:of being able to translate such ancient texts right?

I think it compares known language and dialects and takes a guess?

Elandiel BernElve
22nd July 2010, 08:20
It just reads all the info and using difficult alghorithmic processing it looks for structure, compares it with known languages and compiles the ancient language.