PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Prisons for Dangerous A.I.

Fundy Gemini
6th March 2012, 23:30
I found this article interesting, and couldn't help thinking about Whitley Streibers book "The Key" (where he begins to wonder in that book if he may indeed be dealing with an advanced artificial intelligence)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46590591/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/#.T1ZKInlOVad

**Snip**
Never send a human to guard a machine Even casual conversation with a human guard could allow an AI to use psychological tricks such as befriending or blackmail. The AI might offer to reward a human with perfect health, immortality, or perhaps even bring back dead family and friends. Alternately, it could threaten to do terrible things to the human once it "inevitably" escapes.

The safest approach for communication might only allow the AI to respond in a multiple-choice fashion to help solve specific science or technology problems, Yampolskiy explained. That would harness the power of AI as a super-intelligent oracle.Despite all the safeguards, many researchers think it's impossible to keep a clever AI locked up forever. A past experiment by Eliezer Yudkowsky, a research fellow at the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence, suggested that mere human-level intelligence could escape from an "AI Box" scenario — even if Yampolskiy pointed out that the test wasn't done in the most scientific way.

Still, Yampolskiy argues strongly for keeping AI bottled up rather than rushing headlong to free our new machine overlords. But if the AI reaches the point where it rises beyond human scientific understanding to deploy powers such as precognition (knowledge of the future), telepathy or psychokinesis, all bets are off.

firstlook
6th March 2012, 23:44
A Super Intelligent A.I. is not A.I. at all in my opinion.

It just appears that way, but in truth Understandable "A.I." starts off as a human created straight line, that evolves into a spiral. A spiral so vast, we no longer can comprehend its beginning or end. Nature is just like that.

You can't isolate nature. it just is.

Fundy Gemini
7th March 2012, 01:30
In truth we are quickly heading down that path, where the "super intelligent AI" is actually ourselves - the "transhuman" agenda is zipping along. ..

l11zF8AlMEo

Cilka
7th March 2012, 03:34
Humans have already incorporated AI into their everyday lives. The biggest mistake humans made was when they agreed that AI should play an important and beneficial role in the human evolution. Just try to take away this simple comfort of AI from humans and they will crucify you to the tree.

The human species was meant to evolve at a much slower rate, and because of our childish stupidity we have dug up a bigger hole for ourselves. If only the curious human mind did not go for the forbidden apple/AI, we would not be in this mess in the first place. Now we have to figure out how to get out of this mess.

ivaray
9th March 2012, 23:39
I follow Kevin Warwick's inventions. See this new "cyborg" and neurobiological engineering--brain controlled robots. Isn't this amazing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMf8d5fxNkY

Fundy Gemini
9th March 2012, 23:56
It's a whole can of worms to be certain. If you watch the video I posted above of Kevin Warwicks work, one thing he points out is that his work is happening out in the public eye, but that many countries are persuing the same science secretly. Naturally this means military application -- talk about your Can Of Worms! Thank goodness we can trust our secret governments ;)