PDA

View Full Version : An Admittedly Slightly Lame but Hopefully Half-Decent Metaphor for Truth Seeking

Curt
15th March 2012, 12:26
edited.....

:smokin:

CD7
15th March 2012, 13:39
Hummmmmm interesting analogy...I am intently watching to see if the new "bedazzled" arena is BIgBusiness as usual toting a different banner...my heart keeps knawing at me tht what I seek is completely unrecognizable from what's before me and NO BANNERS will ever b apart of it!

Borden
15th March 2012, 14:41
No lameness here!

I think this is a brilliant metaphor, and the imagery is perfect.

It also gives one a certain sympathy for those who seem desperate to ignore those strange noises from behind the silky walls of their tents. They did embark on a search for truth after all, and that can take it out of a person! It explains why some people seem able to drown out the noises, however awful, strange and loud. To investigate them may lead to the exhausting idea that they may have to start walking again.

Nice one Curtis.

Borden

Curt
15th March 2012, 17:19
No lameness here!

I think this is a brilliant metaphor, and the imagery is perfect.

It also gives one a certain sympathy for those who seem desperate to ignore those strange noises from behind the silky walls of their tents. They did embark on a search for truth after all, and that can take it out of a person! It explains why some people seem able to drown out the noises, however awful, strange and loud. To investigate them may lead to the exhausting idea that they may have to start walking again.

Nice one Curtis.

Borden

Hi Borden,

Thanks, man. Your comments are much appreciated. I definitely agree with your point about having sympathy/compassion for our fellow wanderers.

None of this stuff is easy, and everyone who is sincerely seeking deserves respect and support.

aranuk
15th March 2012, 17:31
Hi Curtis, you may consider writing a book my son. You definately have a talent for writing methinks.

Stan

another bob
15th March 2012, 18:12
Metaphors are bountiful – perhaps this one will do:

We seem born into a prison, each of us opens our eyes in a cell. Every cell is different, but all share a certain something – for one thing, they're all jail.

Some will try to beautify their cells, some will pound their heads against the walls, some will even carve wise markings on the walls about how the cell is not a cell, or even suspect the Jailer to be none other than themselves.

Who knows how or when or why, but a key may slide between the bars some random night that turns just right. Locks tumble, rusty doors creak, then furtive footsteps in the dark –

Free!

Most such lucky inmates beat a fast path to the light, but now and then an odd one sticks around to share that key – to such a one, it just seems right.

Once outside in free fresh air, it may occur to some that they were never really bound, that it was all some sort of strange nightmare from which they’ve mercifully awoken;

while in the yard, through the prison bards, the rumor spreads about a key, and yet for most, this prison life meanders onward, aimlessly.

Will you be one who, tasting freedom, promenades right out of hell; or perhaps the compassionate one who stays to help, right down to the last damn cell?

And what is this “last cell” I speak of – who or what’s to liberate?

Ah, Dear Friends – if it could be said, I surely wouldn’t hesitate!

:yo:

Delight
15th March 2012, 18:23
Metaphors are bountiful – perhaps this one will do:

We seem born into a prison, each of us opens our eyes in a cell. Every cell is different, but all share a certain something – for one thing, they're all jail.

Some will try to beautify their cells, some will pound their heads against the walls, some will even carve wise markings on the walls about how the cell is not a cell, or even suspect the Jailer to be none other than themselves.

Who knows how or when or why, but a key may slide between the bars some random night that turns just right. Locks tumble, rusty doors creak, then furtive footsteps in the dark –

Free!

Most such lucky inmates beat a fast path to the light, but now and then an odd one sticks around to share that key – to such a one, it just seems right.

Once outside in free fresh air, it may occur to some that they were never really bound, that it was all some sort of strange nightmare from which they’ve mercifully awoken;

while in the yard, through the prison bards, the rumor spreads about a key, and yet for most, this prison life meanders onward, aimlessly.

Will you be one who, tasting freedom, promenades right out of hell; or perhaps the compassionate one who stays to help, right down to the last damn cell?

And what is this “last cell” I speak of – who or what’s to liberate?

Ah, Dear Friends – if it could be said, I surely wouldn’t hesitate!

:yo:

I really liked tha story of wandering, fatigue and then finding the bright baazar with something good to eat. This analogy of the prison is also compelling as the prison is self imposed really. But my question is about the urges. The urge to wander, to stay, to leave our prison, to stay "to help" (or stay close t other prisoners rather as we already must have seen the prison is our construction) and how we seem to have urges that are in some relationship to familiar given patterns.

Lately I am just amazed by my own monotony of story lines. Maybe that means I am almost ready for ?????????

In the meantime, I love to hear the retellings of all the tales. Maggie

Hermite
16th March 2012, 11:33
Well put, Curtis.

"They’ll either notice the fact that the layout of this new city is uncannily similar to the one they’ve just come from, or they’ll decide to deny it." Yep, no matter where you go, there you are.

Yours was good, too, Bob. As another wise poet once said, "We are all just prisoners here, of our own devise."

I applaud you both.

:clap2:

markpierre
16th March 2012, 13:15
You left out the part where they get robbed and dragged back out into the desert to die, and so they do. Or is that next bit only for the guys who were serious.

Curt
16th March 2012, 17:53
Pardon me while I hijack my own thread for a second to play a little tune...

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUbTW928sMU