PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the Brain

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 03:36
Fascinating tribute to the space between your ears...

JB7jSFeVz1U

modwiz
16th March 2012, 03:59
Post removed. Who am I to spoil it for the Forrest Gumps of the world? Party on. :rockon:

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 06:26
I saw the woman on the front of this video and was expecting something good because she is an amazing speaker who had a very profound experience. Instead I ended up watching part of a hip-hop, autotuned vocal music video filled with some incorrect notions about the brain. Of note was one singer who spoke of information being stored in the brain and there being a lot of room because of the folds. :bs: It is my understanding after much meditation, study and journeying, that the infomation stored locally in the brain is like the shortcuts on your computer desktop that connect to other places or hard drives, CD's or thumb drives. That is to say, all storage is not local, and in our cases much more like the cloud storage that has become a part of computing storage these days. Computers are amazing examples of how reality and out bodies create structures and connections.

I have to say, if you are looking for something enlightening, this video is not it. If you are content with being entertained than you may find it very good use of a few minutes.

Thank you for your positive and uplifting comments.

I simply posted something I enjoyed. I thought others might enjoy it too.

It's too bad some people can't let others enjoy what they enjoy without criticizing it or them for it.

If your words are any indication of your enlightenment, I'll gladly stay in the dark. In my view, it's a small minded person that has to steal joy from others. It's not all about you, you know.

At least you labeled your post with the correct signage.

modwiz
16th March 2012, 06:52
I saw the woman on the front of this video and was expecting something good because she is an amazing speaker who had a very profound experience. Instead I ended up watching part of a hip-hop, autotuned vocal music video filled with some incorrect notions about the brain. Of note was one singer who spoke of information being stored in the brain and there being a lot of room because of the folds. :bs: It is my understanding after much meditation, study and journeying, that the infomation stored locally in the brain is like the shortcuts on your computer desktop that connect to other places or hard drives, CD's or thumb drives. That is to say, all storage is not local, and in our cases much more like the cloud storage that has become a part of computing storage these days. Computers are amazing examples of how reality and out bodies create structures and connections.

I have to say, if you are looking for something enlightening, this video is not it. If you are content with being entertained than you may find it very good use of a few minutes.

Thank you for your positive and uplifting comments.

I simply posted something I enjoyed. I thought others might enjoy it too.

It's too bad some people can't let others enjoy what they enjoy without criticizing it or them for it.

If your words are any indication of your enlightenment, I'll gladly stay in the dark. In my view, it's a small minded person that has to steal joy from others. It's not all about you, you know.

At least you labeled your post with the correct signage.

I have taken the lights down, packed up and am leaving the thread permanently. Your words are so off of the mark and making no point besides an ad hominem one, there can be no dialogue. If you made the video, I can understand your pique, because my critique was at the maker of the video and the content. We have a huge multi-billion dollar infotainment MSM out there feeding us their mind numbing stupidity. I hold PA as a place to get away from it, or ridicule it when it finds a way in here.

Enjoy your thread.

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 07:09
I have taken the lights down, packed up and am leaving the thread permanently. Your words are so off of the mark and making no point besides an ad hominem one, there can be no dialogue. If you made the video, I can understand your pique, because my critique was at the maker of the video and the content. We have a huge multi-billion dollar infotainment MSM out there feeding us their mind numbing stupidity. I hold PA as a place to get away from it, or ridicule it when it finds a way in here.

Enjoy your thread.

Off the mark?

You put up a sign labeling as "bull****" something I enjoyed and hoped others would too. That's not very nice at all, but if it makes you feel better to think my reaction is off the mark rather than thinking you might have had responsibility in provoking that reaction, then go ahead enjoy your self-delusion.

And then your smarmy "If you are content with being entertained than you may find it very good use of a few minutes." closing comment is no different than saying what I enjoyed isn't good enough for anyone as enlightened as you.

If you'd have made your comment without the "bull****" sign and without the self-righteous closing remark we might have had an interesting discussion. But you chose to cop a holier-than-thou attitude. Maybe others take that from you around here, but I won't. If you can't have a discussion and be respectful, then it's you with the problem, not me. You'll get respect from me when you show respect.

heyokah
16th March 2012, 10:29
I saw the woman on the front of this video and thought of the Ted Talks as well.

This is the real 'Ode to the Brain' that, I too, expected to see.

Perhaps you haven't been aware of this video Dennis, so I'll offer you the speech of the amazing woman Jill Bolte Taylor who studied her own stroke as it happened and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

UyyjU8fzEYU

unicorny
16th March 2012, 15:45
Thanks for posting heyokah this is also what I was expecting to see it is an astounding story that she tells I was just about to go off and hunt for it but you saved me a job
WATCH THIS EVERYONE!!

I saw the woman on the front of this video and thought of the Ted Talks as well.

Perhaps you haven't been aware of this video Denis, so I'll offer you the speech of the amazing woman Jill Bolte Taylor who studied her own stroke as it happened and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

UyyjU8fzEYU

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 18:06

Perhaps you haven't been aware of this video Denis, so I'll offer you the speech of the amazing woman Jill Bolte Taylor who studied her own stroke as it happened and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

Hi heyokah,

I have seen that video before, many times. I've even posted it in my newsletter before. I wasn't trying to make a statement with the other video. I just liked it and thought others might also.

I guess I was wrong, but I do appreciate you were able to voice your opinion in a respectful manner. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me. This is what facilitates meaningful discussions. It's the feigned superiority I detest.

There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk ill about the rest of us.
- Edward Wallis Hoch,

I'm sorry I disappointed so many. I don't know why, if you've seen the other video already, that you would be disappointed this wasn't it.

This was just the second thread I've started. The first one didn't go well either. I shall not start any more threads, not anytime soon anyway.

heyokah
16th March 2012, 19:50
Fascinating tribute to the space between your ears...

JB7jSFeVz1U

When I went to YouTube to watch the video again, I scrolled down and found the powerful words of scientists Carl Sagan, Robert Winston, Vilayanur Ramachandran, Jill Bolte Taylor, Bill Nye, and Oliver Sacks,Jill Bolte Taylor which were used and attached to the video :

[Jill Bolte Taylor]
Information in the form of energy
Streams in simultaneously
Through all of our sensory systems

And then it explodes into this enormous collage
Of what this present moment looks like
What it feels like
And what it sounds like

And then it explodes into this enormous collage
And in this moment we are perfect
We are whole and we are beautiful

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 20:48
heyokah,

The words are displayed on the video through closed captioning if you turn it on. Click the red button with white "CC" on it to turn it on. If you click it a second time you can choose the language you want when other languages are available, or select to turn closed captioning back off.

The words you posted are beautiful, as are many of the other words, in my opinion. I still don't understand why people have a problem with it. I don't agree with everything said in the video, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it. There are a lot of things I've seen that I haven't agreed with on Avalon, but I usually keep it to myself. I see no point in discouraging others from expressing themselves or belittling them because I have different ideas.

This thread, which I started with a song in my heart, has turned into a sad thing for me. It has changed how I view Avalon. I joined thinking this was a place for seekers of truth to explore ideas and find acceptance, and have discovered it to be a place of judgment and intolerance.

heyokah
16th March 2012, 21:13
OMG, never too old to learn !

This red cc button is so great for a non- native speaker like me.
Very often I have difficulties to fully understand what is being said. At the same time seeing the text while listening, will make things much easier.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

And, Dennis, Avalon is really a good place to be (once you get used to it).
You know, it's just the outside world.......:)....:flame:

Good luck.

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 21:27
OMG, never too old to learn !

This red cc button is so great for a non- native speaker like me.
Very often I have difficulties to fully understand what is being said. At the same time seeing the text while listening, will make things much easier.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

And, Dennis, Avalon is really a good place to be (once you get used to it).
You know, it's just the outside world.......:)....:flame:

Good luck.

The older I get, the more I realize there is to learn, and how little I know by comparison...and I'm pushing 60.

At least with you learning about the CC button, some good has come out of this thread. I have received some nice PM's from people as well, so it's not a total disaster.

modwiz
16th March 2012, 21:51
I guess one more post won't hurt, although my word does matter to me.

I was here for well over a year before I started a thread. Any thread comes with at least two risks. Honest critique and trolling. My honesty is a little heavy handed, but I am simply honoring who I am. Not going with my personal flow creates aspects that are not genuine and therefore not healthy. I cannot manage the reactions of other people, who are responsible for their own responses. You hinted that I might not be a person of the light. I'll cope. You see what you see, there is nothing to discuss.

In closing, do not stop yourself from starting threads. I have only 4 or 5 to my name. I take thread starting seriously. I think there are a lot of silly threads here at Avalon. I usually stay out of them. Going into a thread, knowing my disdain for it make me a troll of sorts. Being a hard ass I can tolerate in myself, being a troll will not do.

Avalon is a good place but many of us will not be enablers. Enabling is what perpetuates, "broken-ness in people. It creates victims where there are none. Please understand it was not my intention to make you feel bad. I am a performer and have been booed on stage a few times. Not fun, but it made me up my game and think a little more before putting something out there. Our society does not prepare us for being booed. It tells us that makes us a failure. Only quitting makes one a failure.

Dennis-G
16th March 2012, 23:27
Thank you for re-entering the thread and explaining yourself. Please see my comments following yours so I can explain myself.

I guess one more post won't hurt, although my word does matter to me.

I was here for well over a year before I started a thread. Any thread comes with at least two risks. Honest critique and trolling. My honesty is a little heavy handed, but I am simply honoring who I am. Not going with my personal flow creates aspects that are not genuine and therefore not healthy. I cannot manage the reactions of other people, who are responsible for their own responses.

I'm new here, but I've been a member of other forums for years, so the risks are understood.

Honoring yourself is good, but doing so at the expense of others I question. In my view, there are better ways of expressing yourself than through insults and demeaning language. You say you are not responsible for others' reactions, true to a point, but you are responsible for the words you choose that lead to those reactions. I cannot hit you in the nose and then say I am not responsible for your reaction because my actions led directly to your reaction, whatever that might be. To claim otherwise would be an attempt to deny my responsibility in the matter. It works the same with words.

For someone that "values their word," I should think expressing your ideas in a way that educates and uplifts would be preferable than to educate through demeaning, easy insults and assuming a posture of superiority. Intolerance is uglier than ignorance every time. I don't mean that as an insult, I just offer it in the event you might find it worthy of your contemplation.

In closing, do not stop yourself from starting threads. I have only 4 or 5 to my name. I take thread starting seriously. I think there are a lot of silly threads here at Avalon. I usually stay out of them. Going into a thread, knowing my disdain for it make me a troll of sorts. Being a hard ass I can tolerate in myself, being a troll will not do.

I agree there are a lot of silly threads here ... but that is only my opinion. What you think is silly and what I think are silly may not be what anyone else thinks is silly. We only see from one point of view, and that point of view is filtered through our experiences, our biases, our education, our programming, our emotions, our values and many other factors. There are about 7 billion other opinions on this planet, and each person's opinion is filtered through their own set of factors. It is not wise to think our own opinion is the most important one or the correct one, let alone the only correct one.

As we advance in wisdom, or perhaps it's age, I've noticed for me at least, it becomes very easy to begin taking myself too seriously, but...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
- Roald Dahl

Perhaps that is the best preventative we have that we do not trod on the only light someone else knows in order to shine our own light?

Avalon is a good place but many of us will not be enablers. Enabling is what perpetuates, "broken-ness in people. It creates victims where there are none.

One can avoid "enabling" without "disabling." Disabling also perpetuates broken-ness. And again, broken-ness is also an opinion, a judgment you make about someone else. These opinions, these judgments we make of others, may not reflect their reality. They are only our interpretation of their reality. As such, they may have more to say about us than another.

Please understand it was not my intention to make you feel bad. I am a performer and have been booed on stage a few times. Not fun, but it made me up my game and think a little more before putting something out there. Our society does not prepare us for being booed. It tells us that makes us a failure. Only quitting makes one a failure.

Understood, and I shall not hold it against you. Being booed on stage would not be fun. At all. I am sorry that happened to you.

I too have suffered harsh treatment. When I was in grade school a gang of teens used to chase me down and beat me, all because I was the new guy in the neighborhood. I suffered broken bones, and learned to hate myself at the time. This went on for years, until I grew big enough that when I fought back it actually caused them pain. Then it stopped, but the emotional scars didn't. This is why I detest bullying, and have been known to step into situations to protect others who were too afraid or too weak to stand up for themselves.

We all have our broken pieces. I think we should keep that in mind in our treatment of others. Who we are changes every day, but how we have treated others cannot be changed. Should we be true to ourselves? Of course, but the question is, are we being true to ourselves when our words are hurtful? Is that who we are? And more importantly, is that who we want to be?

We choose who we become. Day by day and moment by moment. To me then, being true to ourselves is a matter of choosing our ideals and trying to live up to them, rather than being true to our mutable feelings or our personal preferences. It is not being untrue to yourself to hold back harmful words unless you choose to be a person that harms.

I was, and am still, saddened by how this thread turned out. I was not saddened by you, I was angered by you. I'm no longer angry with you.

Peace modwiz, and blessings to all.

heyokah
17th March 2012, 07:29
It wasn't bad at all, how this thread turned out to be
It offered us all a chance to learn, which was up to us to see.

As we are never too old to learn,
never too young to teach.

~~~~

Dennis-G
17th March 2012, 08:41
It wasn't bad at all, how this thread turned out to be
It offered us all a chance to learn, which was up to us to see.

As we are never too old to learn,
never too young to teach.

~~~~

Poetry, eh? :)

I've been accused of having the soul of a poet, so...

I thank you for your message, and kindness shown to me
I say this because you are, very likeable, you see

So let us learn what we are able, and teach what we may
And create for each other, a very blessed day

Well, it may not be Lord Byron, but it will have to do. :pleasantry:

heyokah
17th March 2012, 09:31
Thank you Dennis Byron....

Poetry is a good way to start the day with : )