PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to buy an acreage together in the central USA? for when the SHTF

gooty64
16th March 2012, 13:26
This has been on my mind for a year now.

When the $hit hits the fan, shortly thereafter the cities will begin to spill into countryside. imho

It seems wise to me to have a few acres of fertile land for growing food raising chickens etc, right?

Land is inexpensive in the Iowa area of the plains USA. An old farmhouse on several acres can be found in 40-60 range-occasionally and sometimes even less.

An area that is less densely populated and far away from metropolitan are quite affordable.

I am a single guy with a puppy and to move to an acreage alone is a daunting task as I am not experienced at vegetable gardening and am not a skilled handyman.

But, I have a little cash that I would like to invest into a safe place to get away for when the shtf.

Does this make an ounce of sense to any one out there?

gooty, Alan

Sidney
16th March 2012, 14:38
Maybe you can join my midwest ground crew in the groups section. There aren't too many of us, but this subject matter was my reasoning for starting the group. At the very least I would love to plan a midwest usa meet up sometime this summer. Anybody up for that?? I am sorry though, but I really don't have any money to invest at the moment.

GlassSteagallfan
16th March 2012, 17:42

When the $hit hits the fan, shortly thereafter the cities will begin to spill into countryside. imho

It seems wise to me to have a few acres of fertile land for growing food raising chickens etc, right?

Land is inexpensive in the Iowa area of the plains USA. An old farmhouse on several acres can be found in 40-60 range-occasionally and sometimes even less.

An area that is less densely populated and far away from metropolitan are quite affordable.

I am a single guy with a puppy and to move to an acreage alone is a daunting task as I am not experienced at vegetable gardening and am not a skilled handyman.

But, I have a little cash that I would like to invest into a safe place to get away for when the shtf.

Does this make an ounce of sense to any one out there?

gooty, Alan

Make all the sense in the world. Start now!

Gooty, look into County Tax Sales. Its land, houses, and commerical real estate for pennies on the dollar. Normally with no mortgages attached.

Attend these tax sales and witness 200 acres of farmland with 7 bedroom house, inground pool, garage, cattle barns and silo sell for $40,000. Also fix up houses in villages for 100+/- dollars.

Earth Angel
16th March 2012, 17:59
I would but you probably wouldn't like it when I played my Abraham Hicks channeled DVD's and CD's every day .......providing we still had power ;)

write4change
16th March 2012, 18:02
I am working on doing this also. Will get back to this thread later and see what develops.

gripreaper
16th March 2012, 18:17
I'm not interested in land in the central plains on either side of the Mississippi delta of the Madrid, but I would be interested if it was west of the rockies or the northwest.

PixieDust
16th March 2012, 18:24
this is my plan as well but im focused more on the wyoming area. Change of scenery mostly.

I personally dont think ****s gonna hit the fan. It might slowly degrade into chaos over a few decades if people dont start changing themselves, but i dont think there will be a sudden happening.

My reason for wanting land and this lifestyle is the beauty and health of it. The more people that take their own lives in their hands the better. Then stretch those hands to help others.

That is the change that needs to happen. Not from a place of fear and survival, but responsibility and duty. Not just for ourselves but those around us.

IMO.

Peace

nearing
16th March 2012, 18:28
Land can be had for cheap on the Big Island believe it or not. It's a perfect place to be self-sufficient if TSHTF. AND you won't have looters from the mainland coming to take what you have - a big concern if you are in the midwest with the immigrants form the big cities pilgrimaging into the interior.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 18:37
Good to hear all your replies. I am actually pretty open location wise. Southwestern Iowa is the area I grew up in. West of there is pretty dry and hot-harder to grow stuff.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hi nearing, the Big Island is Hawaii-no?

What about the tsunami?

Land can be had for cheap on the Big Island believe it or not. It's a perfect place to be self-sufficient if TSHTF. AND you won't have looters from the mainland coming to take what you have - a big concern if you are in the midwest with the immigrants form the big cities pilgrimaging into the interior.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 18:40
Pixiedust, Well, this is a move I would want to make for the reasons you mentioned too. Plus, I think Blufire got chased out of Kansas by Monsatan.

At least, it looks like major inflation will come to the USA so let's say when the hard times htf! ok

this is my plan as well but im focused more on the wyoming area. Change of scenery mostly.

I personally dont think ****s gonna hit the fan. It might slowly degrade into chaos over a few decades if people dont start changing themselves, but i dont think there will be a sudden happening.

My reason for wanting land and this lifestyle is the beauty and health of it. The more people that take their own lives in their hands the better. Then stretch those hands to help others.

That is the change that needs to happen. Not from a place of fear and survival, but responsibility and duty. Not just for ourselves but those around us.

IMO.

Peace

nearing
16th March 2012, 18:40
Good to hear all your replies. I am actually pretty open location wise. Southwestern Iowa is the area I grew up in. West of there is pretty dry and hot-harder to grow stuff.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hi nearing, the Big Island is Hawaii-no?

What about the tsunami?

Yes, Hawaii. Tsunami's are only a concern for the lowest parts of the island. Plenty of land above tidal wave height.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 18:44
I would open to the Northwest but, I is near as afforable as the heartland. And I do agree with you about the Madrid faultline and being near the Mississipi, I thought western Iowa might be safe from the EQ.

But now come to think of it the Missouri river which divides Iowa and Nebraska flooded very bad last June from the snowpack. And the water table is rising annually in that area so, some elevation is important-come think about it.

I'm not interested in land in the central plains on either side of the Mississippi delta of the Madrid, but I would be interested if it was west of the rockies or the northwest.

PixieDust
16th March 2012, 18:47
Pixiedust, Well, this is a move I would want to make for the reasons you mentioned too. Plus, I think Blufire got chased out of Kansas by Monsatan.

At least, it looks like major inflation will come to the USA so let's say when the hard times htf! ok

IMO.

Peace

I am Blufires daughter haha so i know the game well from observation. I just dont have a calling to the App Mtns. Otherwise id move there to help with her current fight.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 18:50
I am embarrassed, Is should have remembered that. argh

IMO.

Peace

I am Blufires daughter haha so i know the game well from observation. I just dont have a calling to the App Mtns. Otherwise id move there to help with her current fight.

xbusymom
16th March 2012, 19:18
I have got some things in limbo waiting for the shoes to drop (1-2 years) , but after that I am looking at going back to KS, and in the meantime I will be stuffing the piggy bank. I am interested in (possibly) east KS or west MO just south of KC ranging to the Lake of the Ozarks area... just to do some self sustainable stuff and live healthier.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 21:53
Thanks Starchild, I just joined the Midwest ground crew group. A meet up would be a good thing. A brainstorming session and fellowship-ggod idea.

Even just investing in couple of acres could be a life-saver someday. If there was 4-6 investors it could potentially only be a few thousand $ each.

Central to southwest Wisconsin?

I am ready to look at the options and hope to make a move after May and say by about Octoberish.

It's OK to brainstorm and if the Supermarket shelves dry up.....

Maybe you can joint my midwest ground crew in the groups section. There aren't too many of us, but this subject matter was my reasoning for starting the group. At the very least I would live to plan a midwest usa meet up sometime this summer. Anybody up for that?? I am sorry though, but I really don't have any money to invest at the moment.

gooty64
16th March 2012, 22:33
Hi xbusymom, good to hear from you. I drove through east and central Missouri and I noticed some areas had been flooded out. Also, the global water table I believe I heard it rising so, its probably best to head closer to Kansas and find a place with some elevation to it. I don't know.

Am I being paranoid and falling for the idea of financial collapse this year?
I have got some things in limbo waiting for the shoes to drop (1-2 years) , but after that I am looking at going back to KS, and in the meantime I will be stuffing the piggy bank. I am interested in (possibly) east KS or west MO just south of KC ranging to the Lake of the Ozarks area... just to do some self sustainable stuff and live healthier.

xbusymom
16th March 2012, 22:44
Am I being paranoid and falling for the idea of financial collapse this year?

they said the money was going to collapse about 4 years ago too... so doing this for financial collapse??

..as long as you can take action from the standpoint of getting prepared for the WHAT IF and not from the OMG - FEAR .. . so what! I don't think it is anyone else's business- if you feel the need to explain to your neighbors, you can just tell them you are experimenting with a project on trimming down the bills ... we ARE trying to restructure society to live without money anyway, right?

xbusymom
16th March 2012, 22:58
Thanks Starchild, I just joined the Midwest ground crew group. A meet up would be a good thing. A brainstorming session and fellowship-ggod idea.

Even just investing in couple of acres could be a life-saver someday. If there was 4-6 investors it could potentially only be a few thousand $ each.

Central to southwest Wisconsin?

I am ready to look at the options and hope to make a move after May and say by about Octoberish.

It's OK to brainstorm and if the Supermarket shelves dry up.....

Maybe you can joint my midwest ground crew in the groups section. There aren't too many of us, but this subject matter was my reasoning for starting the group. At the very least I would live to plan a midwest usa meet up sometime this summer. Anybody up for that?? I am sorry though, but I really don't have any money to invest at the moment.

I noticed there are 14 in my group "USA Midwest"... if everyone wants to migrate to the new one- it wont hurt my feelings- ... been too busy with other stuff to do it properly... I am just sorry I let y'all down.

pickle
16th March 2012, 22:59
............Am I being paranoid and falling for the idea of financial collapse this year?
You can't let fear be your driver for your future my friend. I admire (and envy!) you for posting what you have and wish you the very best of luck, but try to keep a fun life and the way you want to live an independent life as your goal - it'll probably help you have a fantastic journey and attract the right kind of people to your journey.

I'm in the UK, so unless they relax the imigration laws I can't be with you!

Good luck, have fun, and if it's your dream, don't give up ;-)

Pickle

<8>
16th March 2012, 23:06
Hi..

Just a thought, when the **** hits the fan, doesn't all lands become fair game again, as in free??
You can still store supplies can't you?

P.s...I personally would only turn to nature because I love it, not in fear. But thats for another thread i guess.

HORIZONS
16th March 2012, 23:07
Reality check! 3 years ago I quit the mainstream and bought 30 acres of good land with timber and grass way out in a beautiful valley in W. AR, and there is water here too. I built a nice cabin style home on it and there is another house on it I use for storage. I have a massive organic garden that I constantly have to work at, and an army of blister beetles wiped me out last year of just about everything - and I had an amazing garden going. I work across the highway on a farm where we have 80-thousand chickens (yes, you heard me right) and about 1000 head of cattle (and I''m a vegetarian - go figure). All of this for when TSHTF.

Do you have any idea of how hard it is to farm for a living? It is ALL hard labor, and hard on the body as well, especially when your in your 50's. Growing a garden in the country is a full-time job, and keeping the bugs out is another - and still they'll get ya. I have learned that to survive by living out here and growing your own goods is going to be VERY difficult (and I'm good at growing things) in the best case scenario. Then there was the drought! How are you going to grow enough food to eat, much less save to get you through the winter in a drought? People, you can't just move out to the country and dig up a little garden and make it if the TSHTF - it doesn't work that way. You would need a major community effort to make this work. Little house on the prairie is a pipe dream - not reality. Oh yea, don't forget clean safe water to drink. And with no fuel for the tractor or rotor tiller you will be in a world of hurt. I have spent a lot of time, money and effort, on this - studying, thinking, planning, etc. and it will be a wolf eat wolf world at best, and survival of the fittest will be paramount. Do you have what it takes? There is a lot more to consider, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm ready to sell out and move to the beach - or Hawaii ;) - and let be what comes. Life would be so incredibly hard if doomsday comes around, and I'm not sure I would want to be here in such a case as that. I recommend getting the book by John Seymour, Self-Sufficient Life and How to live it, The Complete Back-to-basics Guide. Don't get me wrong - It can be done, but you better know what you are doing, and have a fort to do it in.

Phoenix
17th March 2012, 00:04

Really? I'd love to live out there.. Is it difficult to start a new life on the big island?

blufire
17th March 2012, 17:54
Gooty OP:

Does this make an ounce of sense to any one out there? gooty, Alan

This makes a ton of sense to me! As you know this is pretty much what I have done, with a bit different reasoning though. I went through all the revelations that we are in deep kimchi (globally) and a plethora of poop has already been propagated. My move and subsequent 180 in my mind set and how I am living was based primarily of refusing to live the life that has been designed for us. It is a cage and perpetual slavery. Not only am I focused on cultivating my own way of thinking and creating, I am focusing on how to make this change more readily for those who desire it and feel driven.

It almost always comes down to money. My Foxfire Hollow thread addresses many of these concepts. Finding a new way and using “free” resources to create a new way of thriving NOW, without waiting for FE to come into existence or waiting to be forced into it by a complete financial collapse (of which we are in now) or natural catastrophes (which are happening all around us)

Gooty, I would like to hear what your strengths are! In a community like I am building not everyone needs to be good at gardening or homesteading, a successful community is full of diverse individuals and each of the strengths and desires should be acknowledged and cultivated. You have a fantastically adorable pup! I can see he is a Terrier and therefore would have a blast rounding up mice and gophers! I also know from your posts you are very empathic and compassionate and so would be wonderful at providing emotional and mental support.

Xbusymom said:

I moved from Kansas City area (partially)because of the dense population and my concerns that in a meltdown the hoards of terrified, hungry people would be too much to handle or control . . .even in the most prepared of situations. I also looked at the Ozark area and came to the conclusion there are too many “militant” type strongholds and communities there. They are radical and very much fear based. Among other concerns . . . in a militarized, martial law lock down scenario these areas will first be entered and removed by the military.

PixieDust (my daughter of whom I am very proud of) said:

My baby girl has grown-up during my “waking up” years . . . bless her heart. She is beginning to become just as crazy as her mountain momma. I support her desire to stretch her wings, find her own path and explore where she is being called. She also knows . . . among other people . . . where home is and that the door is always open and a light left on.

Several spoke of Northwest Areas: I looked there and desided the land values were too high for most and the growing seasons not long enough.

<8> said:

Just a thought, when the **** hits the fan, doesn't all lands become fair game again, as in free??

This is true . . . . but be very aware that the people who already live in the most desirable areas will be armed to the teeth and will protect their land at all costs. I know I will be in a shtf mêlée. I would suggest you cultivate a relationship with a community now. And yes, storing supplies would be a very good idea, but remember if you aren’t prepared to protect those supplies or have a way to move them to your safe place . . . you’re a bit hosed.

Horizons said:

Do you have any idea of how hard it is to farm for a living? It is ALL hard labor, and hard on the body as well, especially when your in your 50's. Growing a garden in the country is a full-time job, and keeping the bugs out is another - and still they'll get ya. I have learned that to survive by living out here and growing your own goods is going to be VERY difficult (and I'm good at growing things) in the best case scenario. Then there was the drought! How are you going to grow enough food to eat, much less save to get you through the winter in a drought? People, you can't just move out to the country and dig up a little garden and make it if the TSHTF - it doesn't work that way. You would need a major community effort to make this work. Little house on the prairie is a pipe dream - not reality. Oh yea, don't forget clean safe water to drink. And with no fuel for the tractor or rotor tiller you will be in a world of hurt. I have spent a lot of time, money and effort, on this - studying, thinking, planning, etc. and it will be a wolf eat wolf world at best, and survival of the fittest will be paramount. Do you have what it takes? There is a lot more to consider, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Read Horizons post at least three times! This is 100% correct. Even if you are a seasoned grower it is a "tough row to hoe". You have got to be diverse, adapt at a moments notice and diligent . . . or again cultivate a relationship with someone and/or a community that has these attributes. Again, not everyone has to be a gardener or able to chop wood.

Here’s a few people I am looking for or things I need to round out my community for thriving in a new paradigm: 3 or 4 grant writers, individuals knowledgeable in hydroelectric engineering, economic development (but in sustainable way), natural health, community organizer, project organizer, new sustainable business owners, ecotourism and agritourism planners, artisans, musicians, nature expedition guides, much much more . . . . as well as sustainable growers, from seed to canning jar!

Most of all I am looking for individuls who are driven to create new ways of thinking that benefit everyone and to break the slavery cycle and LIVE IT. Those willing to work through the numerous bugs and pitfalls and brainwashing . . . those who want to see there neighbor thrive and put others needs and welfare before there own.

Those who will Manifest a New Timeline and a New Paradigm!

CdnSirian
17th March 2012, 18:22
I am very interested in this topic but have neither cash nor a puppy --ha ha. (Lost my retirement funds in the melee). For anyone interested in a fictional but amazingly detailed account of folks thrust into survivalist mode after an instant grid shut down, "Dies The Fire" by S.M. Stirling is a real page turner - not merely entertaining, but very revealing of the reality that would ensue a 200 hundred year reversal of "progress". First of a trilogy. Provokes much thought.

I agree that getting a group would be a first step, as indeed, a multitude of talents would enhance survival.

WhiteFeather
17th March 2012, 18:22

It would be awesome to live in a Paradise such as Hawaii. How Cheap Is Land There Nearing?

Delight
17th March 2012, 18:31
Gooty OP:

This makes a ton of sense to me! As you know this is pretty much what I have done, with a bit different reasoning though. I went through all the revelations that we are in deep kimchi (globally) and a plethora of poop has already been propagated. My move and subsequent 180 in my mind set and how I am living was based primarily of refusing to live the life that has been designed for us. It is a cage and perpetual slavery. Not only am I focused on cultivating my own way of thinking and creating, I am focusing on how to make this change more readily for those who desire it and feel driven.

It almost always comes down to money. My Foxfire Hollow thread addresses many of these concepts. Finding a new way and using “free” resources to create a new way of thriving NOW, without waiting for FE to come into existence or waiting to be forced into it by a complete financial collapse (of which we are in now) or natural catastrophes (which are happening all around us)

Gooty, I would like to hear what your strengths are! In a community like I am building not everyone needs to be good at gardening or homesteading, a successful community is full of diverse individuals and each of the strengths and desires should be acknowledged and cultivated. You have a fantastically adorable pup! I can see he is a Terrier and therefore would have a blast rounding up mice and gophers! I also know from your posts you are very empathic and compassionate and so would be wonderful at providing emotional and mental support.

Xbusymom said:

I moved from Kansas City area (partially)because of the dense population and my concerns that in a meltdown the hoards of terrified, hungry people would be too much to handle or control . . .even in the most prepared of situations. I also looked at the Ozark area and came to the conclusion there are too many “militant” type strongholds and communities there. They are radical and very much fear based. Among other concerns . . . in a militarized, martial law lock down scenario these areas will first be entered and removed by the military.

My baby girl has grown-up during my “waking up” years . . . bless her heart. She is beginning to become just as crazy as her mountain momma. I support her desire to stretch her wings, find her own path and explore where she is being called. She also knows . . . among other people . . . where home is and that the door is always open and a light left on.

Several spoke of Northwest Areas: I looked there and desided the land values were too high for most and the growing seasons not long enough.

<8> said:

This is true . . . . but be very aware that the people who already live in the most desirable areas will be armed to the teeth and will protect their land at all costs. I know I will be in a shtf mêlée. I would suggest you cultivate a relationship with a community now. And yes, storing supplies would be a very good idea, but remember if you aren’t prepared to protect those supplies or have a way to move them to your safe place . . . you’re a bit hosed.

Horizons said:

Read Horizons post at least three times! This is 100% correct. Even if you are a seasoned grower it is a "tough row to hoe". You have got to be diverse, adapt at a moments notice and diligent . . . or again cultivate a relationship with someone and/or a community that has these attributes. Again, not everyone has to be a gardener or able to chop wood.

Here’s a few people I am looking for or things I need to round out my community for thriving in a new paradigm: 3 or 4 grant writers, individuals knowledgeable in hydroelectric engineering, economic development (but in sustainable way), natural health, community organizer, project organizer, new sustainable business owners, ecotourism and agritourism planners, artisans, musicians, nature expedition guides, much much more . . . . as well as sustainable growers, from seed to canning jar!

Most of all I am looking for individuls who are driven to create new ways of thinking that benefit everyone and to break the slavery cycle and LIVE IT. Those willing to work through the numerous bugs and pitfalls and brainwashing . . . those who want to see there neighbor thrive and put others needs and welfare before there own.

I love what Blufire is saying here as she responds to everyone's posts. I live in North Georgia and though I am not in an intentional community, many of us are working together to build the paradigm we choose to see. I am living alone and have chickens and had a big garden. In my "community", a couple is raising organic beef. I am involved with the farmers market and we are going to work with the local city council to re-invigorate an old cannery and farmers market location for agritourism and self-sustaining goals.

A few friends and I have been talking about what we would choose for intentional community.

That siad, I said a year ago that The SHIFT will hit the fan. It is my intention that the big stress will be the change in energy that no longer allows people the delusion that one's actions can be separate. I see the Shift as a uge stress for those who believed that what they do to "others" will not immediately fall back on themselves. I do not see the coming change as a crisis of guns, protection, material starvation at all. No I do not!

What I see is that the excruciating self responsibility that will be unavoidable will drive some insane. It is said that in NDEs people experience the whole of all their relationships as the effect is felt of each action. This is the coming SHTF that I am preparing to face.

In the meantime, if anyone is curious about my neck of the woods, feel free to PM me. It is lovely county with water aplenty. Maggie

NancyV
17th March 2012, 19:12
I wonder if the land on the Big Island is cheap because of the god awful smell from the volcano? In the late 70's my 2nd husband and I had 2 acres on the Big Island and built our house there. We lived there for 3 years and sold in about 1983 to go to Oregon where we bought 50 acres and built another house. I guess Kilauea started erupting in the late 80's and has been pretty much active since then. When my present husband and I went to the Big Island in the late 90's it stunk so bad we left the next day for Maui. Maui residents we talked with said they could occasionally smell the stink depending on how the winds are blowing. Unless you like the smell of rotten eggs (sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide) you would have to be very careful of where you buy land on the Big Island, in my opinion.

Personally I think the best climate for buying land for self sufficiency is on the Oregon Coast. The weather is rarely below 45-50 degrees and rarely above 75 degrees all year long so you never need air conditioning. When we lived there we only used the heater a few times in the winter. A wood stove would do the trick nicely and you wouldn't need much wood for the entire year. There are LOTS of rivers and streams, abundant fish, both freshwater and ocean, and lots of wildlife. Also there are very few mosquitoes and snakes are fairly rare and mostly non poisonous.

When choosing a place to live, if one is planning for the possibility of living in a future without easily accessible or affordable power, keeping warm in winter or cool in summer is a major endeavor. Considering if there are destructive storms is also a good thing to do. There are only a few storms a year on the Oregon coast and those are not overly destructive even when the wind gusts can get up to over 100 mph. Water is a major consideration and there is lots of rain on the Oregon Coast which makes gardening easy. I would personally rather put my energy into growing food rather than keeping warm or cool, fighting bugs and being in danger of tornadoes or major hurricanes. There are also no major military installations or nuclear power plants near the Oregon Coast and nothing of strategic value to any government.

Of course many people have to consider proximity to where they live now so they can't get a place that's far away, or maybe they want to stay near relatives and friends or somewhere they know and love. To each his own. We're all attached to different places and ideas of what is important when considering a place to buy for creating more self sufficiency. I've done it several times with huge gardens, horses, spring water/cisterns, wood stoves, etc. The next time we buy a place, hopefully within a year, it will be on the Oregon Coast, probably near Brookings which is just above California. I want to have wind and solar this time. Of course lots of guns and ammo are one of the basic necessities!

another bob
17th March 2012, 19:21
Personally I think the best climate for buying land for self sufficiency is on the Oregon Coast..... The next time we buy a place, hopefully within a year, it will be on the Oregon Coast, probably near Brookings which is just above California. I want to have wind and solar this time. Of course lots of guns and ammo are one of the basic necessities!

Hiya Nancy And All!

I have some close friends, transplanted New Yorkers, who bought some good acreage there about 10 years ago, and are happy as can be, and totally self-sufficient now. I also have a brother who is a commercial salmon fisherman living a bit north of there, and he loves it too. My only concern would be the Cascadian Subduction Zone issues, but no matter where one goes, there will always be something, eh. We've chosen to be further in, a few mountain ranges over, in the Sierra Nevadas, and are happy with our choice, but since I found my Twin Flame, it really matters little where we are temporarily camping, as long as we're together. I know you understand that too!

:yo:

NancyV
17th March 2012, 19:51
Personally I think the best climate for buying land for self sufficiency is on the Oregon Coast..... The next time we buy a place, hopefully within a year, it will be on the Oregon Coast, probably near Brookings which is just above California. I want to have wind and solar this time. Of course lots of guns and ammo are one of the basic necessities!

Hiya Nancy And All!

I have some close friends, transplanted New Yorkers, who bought some good acreage there about 10 years ago, and are happy as can be, and totally self-sufficient now. I also have a brother who is a commercial salmon fisherman living a bit north of there, and he loves it too. My only concern would be the Cascadian Subduction Zone issues, but no matter where one goes, there will always be something, eh. We've chosen to be further in, a few mountain ranges over, in the Sierra Nevadas, and are happy with our choice, but since I found my Twin Flame, it really matters little where we are temporarily camping, as long as we're together. I know you understand that too!

Hi Bob! et al... :)

You're absolutely right about the possibilities of a huge earthquake because of the Cascadian subduction zone. If there are major earth changes in our lifetime (which hopefully won't be TOO much longer! LOL) the Oregon Coast could be underwater and you could have beach front property in Arizona. There is also the possibility of tsunamis on the OR coast, although all tsunamis in many decades have been mini tsunamis. Oregon hasn't had a big tsunami since the early 60's when 4 people were killed.

How great that your brother is a salmon fisherman! I hope salmon don't become more endangered as certain species are having major problems. We lived for about 3 years in Lincoln City which is a few miles south of the Salmon River. Wonderful weather there and a lovely small town. I also love the Sierra Nevadas but of course you get a lot of snow there. I skied for many years around lake Tahoe and we had a cabin on a couple of acres in Truckee which my ex still owns. My present husband and I lived in Reno for a couple of years and loved going up to Tahoe. When I was young my sister and I spent summers in El Portal with my grandparents. El Portal is now part of Yosemite. That's gorgeous country!

It's so true that when you're with your twin flame none of this really matters much. I could die happily tomorrow knowing that I found what I was searching for for so many years. The survival trip is more of a fun endeavor for me as surviving is over-rated in my opinion! But if we're going to be here we might as well have fun and preparing for a disaster can be a lot of fun. My husband laughs at me a lot ever since I somewhat prepared for Y2K (which died without even a pathetic whimper). He never lets me forget about the "ravening Y2K hordes".

Kimberley
17th March 2012, 20:06
I say to one and all follow your dreams and have fun! And yes we need to all work together to co-create the world we envision! Congratulations!

Fun thread... I have been involved in a big community dream for the past 12 years and it is on the Island of Jamaica. Here is my 10 year old out of date web site for Jamaica Sports Vacations, http://www.jamaicasportsvacations.com/ that tells a lot of the story. We started the biz in 2000 and the second year was 2001 our primary season has been december - april so after 9/11/2001 there was a BIG damper put on our and all travel business.. . However I now know that this dream was not meant to materialize in a big way until NOW...

For the last 8 years I have been turning business away because relationships with the accommodations part of the business became too problematic. I still refer kitesurfers to a couple of friends that live there and are instructors (they learned the sport of windsurfing & kitesurfing because of our school and equipment). So we have been holding the space and the word is out that there is a would class windsurfing and kiting spot in Jamaica...new people find us all the time and there are many repeat visitor.

There is a beach property that has been for sale for 10 years (and it has not sold because I know it has been waiting for us to buy it) it is 4 acres with 3 separate dwellings... one with 3 bedrooms and the other with 4 bedrooms...and one with 2 bedrooms... all rooms have separate bath rooms so when were were running it it was run like a bed and breakfast. There is also a pool and a tennis court. The owner is asking for 1.5 million US dollars. I am expecting to find the money to buy that property when the time is meant to happen...

The vision for the property is to get off the grid with wind turbine & solar panels and more... and to build more rooms via eco friendly, sustainable resources. And be a training center for the people of Jamaica to do the same. I have a whole business plan mapped out around this.

We are currently in the process of setting up the Eco water sports part of the business again. We will be operating from the public beach in Falmouth Jamaica.

If anyone is interested in learning more feel free to e-mail me directly at kimberleyj@comcast.net and put Jamaica in the subject line... thanks!

Much love!!

xbusymom
17th March 2012, 21:11
Gooty OP:

Xbusymom said:

<8> said:

Horizons said:

Don't have my heart set on KS, it is just where I knew I could get rehired into an old job-
yes the money ...- was planning on doing the part-time job thing to jumpstart my self-employment projects and wanted to get a small place and build on a storage unit, a workshop and a garden...
otherwise I would have zip except for my sons SSA benefits, and I am supposed to use that for him- not me. (and yes he will most likely want to tag along with us)

as far as skills go:
1)I have an “almost A.A.S.”. in Comp Science, (but I figured that would all be for naught when the solar flare takes out the electronics).
2)and now pouring efforts into a Developmental Disability Specialist Certificate;
3)I have the patience of a saint (single mom raising 3 disabled kids-with no real help from family or “the village”) ,
4)and can “see things” from other peoples' perspective -and have a knack for expressing someones' line of thought so different people “get it”
5)I have just completely renovated our house, so I know the basics of house construction
6)I was raised by a psychologist, so I have huge bank of counseling techniques and “natural” referee skills
7)I am very creative, innovative, adaptive, and accommodating most of the time. (and my other son says I am too honest for my own good- but I see that as a good thing and I don't think I would change that even if I could)
8)I never give up, just tweak things until they either work or fall apart completely
9)I have some natural ability with light/deep tissue massage and energy healings
10)over the years I have developed the skill to organize things, and create systems /procedures (and I often find the connection/link up between seemingly unrelated issues/situations)
11)I have a dabbling of skills for the pioneer crafts
12)I have started a small library of self-sufficiency books
13)and I have a timebank website started, so I know a little something about how a community cooperative effort should work
14)I have a few pieces of small equipment (a food dehydrator, drill press/jigsaw and other assorted tools. some 5-gal water jugs, water filter system, solar/elec oven
15)I also have a willingness to do what is necessary and to try things I haven't done before

Don't know how all that would fit in with what you are looking for, but there it is...

EDIT: I forgot about the homeschooling stuff I have in the shed... the complete math-book series (Dummies books for basic math thru calculus 2, and- a Dummy book on Grant writing)

HORIZONS
17th March 2012, 21:23
Personally I think the best climate for buying land for self sufficiency is on the Oregon Coast. The weather is rarely below 45-50 degrees and rarely above 75 degrees all year long so you never need air conditioning. When we lived there we only used the heater a few times in the winter. A wood stove would do the trick nicely and you wouldn't need much wood for the entire year. There are LOTS of rivers and streams, abundant fish, both freshwater and ocean, and lots of wildlife. Also there are very few mosquitoes and snakes are fairly rare and mostly non poisonous.

When choosing a place to live, if one is planning for the possibility of living in a future without easily accessible or affordable power, keeping warm in winter or cool in summer is a major endeavor. Considering if there are destructive storms is also a good thing to do. There are only a few storms a year on the Oregon coast and those are not overly destructive even when the wind gusts can get up to over 100 mph. Water is a major consideration and there is lots of rain on the Oregon Coast which makes gardening easy. I would personally rather put my energy into growing food rather than keeping warm or cool, fighting bugs and being in danger of tornadoes or major hurricanes. There are also no major military installations or nuclear power plants near the Oregon Coast and nothing of strategic value to any government.

I have been thinking about the Oregon Coast for the same reasons you have posted here - that is one place that I would consider to move to, and I will keep it on my radar, if I ever sell out here. I don't even want to think about how difficult life would be here without electricity and running water - but I have thought about it and the South Oregon Coast makes a lot of sense to me too. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this!

another bob
17th March 2012, 21:24
The survival trip is more of a fun endeavor for me as surviving is over-rated in my opinion! But if we're going to be here we might as well have fun and preparing for a disaster can be a lot of fun.

Absolutely!

My Mate's new favorite show is on NatGeo, called "Doomsday Preppers", and lately she's found another one, called "Doomsday Bunkers". The two of you would likely get along real well -- she's a firearms enthusiast too, and a deadeye markswoman! We've both had nde's, so no problem with survival fears, but we enjoy the fun of prepping anyway, especially gardening. We've stored a good amount of viable seeds, installed a 1500 gal. water tank, use 2 solar ovens, and keep 4 or 5 cords of wood on hand for the wood stove. We've got about a year's supply of food, medicine, and whatnot stored, plus an excellent library for any occasion, and have organized our closest neighbors into a collective. It's been a fun project, otherwise why bother, eh. Our main goal was to get off the grid, which just seemed like the right thing to do, given the way this movie seems to be playing out, eh.

nearing
17th March 2012, 21:29

Really? I'd love to live out there.. Is it difficult to start a new life on the big island?

Phoenix, you are 21? Join WWOOF (http://www.wwoof.org/) (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) and go do it! You work on the farms for room and board and go play (surf, snorkel, cliff dive, snorkel, hang with friends) on the weekends. You just need to get the $ together to buy the ticket to and from.

My son did this last summer (3 months) and he will be going back because he made great fiends and loves the place. If you want his contact info, PM me. He loves to share his adventure and he will get you in touch with some great peeps.

GO!

nearing
17th March 2012, 21:32
I wonder if the land on the Big Island is cheap because of the god awful smell from the volcano? In the late 70's my 2nd husband and I had 2 acres on the Big Island and built our house there. We lived there for 3 years and sold in about 1983 to go to Oregon where we bought 50 acres and built another house. I guess Kilauea started erupting in the late 80's and has been pretty much active since then. When my present husband and I went to the Big Island in the late 90's it stunk so bad we left the next day for Maui. Maui residents we talked with said they could occasionally smell the stink depending on how the winds are blowing. Unless you like the smell of rotten eggs (sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide) you would have to be very careful of where you buy land on the Big Island, in my opinion.

Of course many people have to consider proximity to where they live now so they can't get a place that's far away, or maybe they want to stay near relatives and friends or somewhere they know and love. To each his own. We're all attached to different places and ideas of what is important when considering a place to buy for creating more self sufficiency. I've done it several times with huge gardens, horses, spring water/cisterns, wood stoves, etc. The next time we buy a place, hopefully within a year, it will be on the Oregon Coast, probably near Brookings which is just above California. I want to have wind and solar this time. Of course lots of guns and ammo are one of the basic necessities!

You are right about Oregon, if you can stand the lack of sunshine, it's perfect.

The land on the BI I am referring to isn't where the VOG is. Actually the VOG hits the touristy (most expensive) spots the hardest there - Kona. (all due to the winds). Ironic, huh?

HORIZONS
17th March 2012, 21:44
You are right about Oregon, if you can stand the lack of sunshine, it's perfect.

The sun part is what would be hard for me, as I am a sun stalker. Lack of direct sun on my body would be a big problem - maybe S. OR isn't as bad as further north is (?) as far as there not being much sunshine due to so much rain. Anyone know for sure?

Paranormal
17th March 2012, 22:29
I personally think it would be even better if you could buy the land & live in another country, like Canada. However, I'm sure if you prepare you'll be safe in the USA.

I looked at doing this in 2010 and we had a great idea - you put the land in a company's name and each person gets shares in this company depending on their investment - e.g. 10 % of money = 10% of shares. However, you shouldn't divy up the land as it's best to try to work it together for economies of scale.

Inevitibly people will fight and want to leave, so they must sell their shares to other shareholders first, or find a new person to buy them at the going rate.

dddanieljjjamesss
17th March 2012, 22:34
What ****?
What fan?
better to spread that manure where you are, when you are

in my experience of trying to create a community of strangers, it very quickly dissintegrates as you realize peoples conflicting goals.

better to immerse yourself in the community that does exist around you... and it does exist

that will promote change better than trying to isolate and 'survive' the '****'

spread the ****, more flowers will grow

another bob
17th March 2012, 23:37

The sun part is what would be hard for me, as I am a sun stalker. Lack of direct sun on my body would be a big problem - maybe S. OR isn't as bad as further north is (?) as far as there not being much sunshine due to so much rain. Anyone know for sure?

Hiya Horizons!

It depends how close to the coast you would plan to settle. A few miles inland and it's not too bad, but if you're a sun stalker, it might be a bit frustrating even then, since you would typically see a lot of rain during the season. Great for gardening though! If you're seriously considering it, set up Gold Beach/Bandon zip code of Southern Oregon on the weather website to get daily reports and see what shows. Good Luck!

HORIZONS
18th March 2012, 00:41

Hiya Horizons!

It depends how close to the coast you would plan to settle. A few miles inland and it's not too bad, but if you're a sun stalker, it might be a bit frustrating even then, since you would typically see a lot of rain during the season. Great for gardening though! If you're seriously considering it, set up Gold Beach/Bandon zip code of Southern Oregon on the weather website to get daily reports and see what shows. Good Luck!

Thanks AB - I appreciate that! :cool:

I guess I could always get a good quality light therapy bed, the kind with full light spectrum, to make up the difference. ;) I kind of want one anyway - that would be a good reason.

gooty64
18th March 2012, 13:10
It's great hearing all the ideas, experiences and comments on this thread! Keep em' coming.....

I will check in later as I am away from the computer today-Sunday.

Community, solutions, complaints, brainstorming etc.....it's all good! -gooty

wavydome
18th March 2012, 14:35
Timely thread gooty64,

Timely to study hard, all the plans we think up.... Back to the land is not easy-breezy. I've been at it 40 years by now, but gladly chose this struggle over others.

It freed my soul to become human, without all the clutter of big brother.
Evolvement without authoritarianism.

Great posts everyone, so many POVs to see.
Lots of good advice.......

One doesn't need to garden or farm-- One only needs a marketable service or asset to trade...

My additional recommendation is to web search :
csf + csa + "co-ops" + "farmers markets" + "local food" + (_______your dream location)

If your location has enough rain, it will have one or more of the search terms.

If you're into hot-dry places, websearch data or comments on the aquifer beneath it....
http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/depression/images/dustbowlmap.gif
http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/depression/dustbowl.htm

PS--- Clouds of dust vs rain... For free-warmth we got way into greenhouse or tarp-structures, etc... These came on strong in the 1970s with the intro of cheap plastic. Once you get the right design, upgrade the plastic sheet to the latest-greatest greenhouse plastic you can afford.

PPS- Plastic sheet and raw material which one can't produce at home...
Assortments of these have been my primary investment for 40 years.
Great stuff for barter, if one can easily preserve it, for when a fateful day may come.

xbusymom
18th March 2012, 16:09
What ****?
What fan?
better to spread that manure where you are, when you are

in my experience of trying to create a community of strangers, it very quickly dissintegrates as you realize peoples conflicting goals.

better to immerse yourself in the community that does exist around you... and it does exist

that will promote change better than trying to isolate and 'survive' the '****'

spread the ****, more flowers will grow

that makes a lot of sense too,
avoiding the "bloom where you are planted" philosophy defeats the holographic fractal-reality efforts

The Federation of Egalitarian Communities
http://thefec.org/
The nVISIBLE
http://www.nvisible.com/Links/CommunLinks.html
Fellowship of Intentional Communities
http://www.ic.org/

then maybe do the community thing (time bank, food exchange, etc) instead of joining up with a group

NancyV
18th March 2012, 16:29

I have been thinking about the Oregon Coast for the same reasons you have posted here - that is one place that I would consider to move to, and I will keep it on my radar, if I ever sell out here. I don't even want to think about how difficult life would be here without electricity and running water - but I have thought about it and the South Oregon Coast makes a lot of sense to me too. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this!
Brookings OR is actually known as the banana belt of the Oregon Coast since it has less fog, less rain and more sunny days - averaging 192 days with sun. Rainfall averages about 78" per year and the population of the town is a bit over 6,000. We started going to Brookings starting in 1985 when living in Ashland, Oregon, where I mostly raised my two children. They both live in Ashland now with their spouses and children. That's one reason we want to move to Brookings since Ashland is only about an hour and a half drive away. I love not having so much sun and was even thinking that Brookings might be too sunny for my tastes! After living in Las Vegas for 3 years we had our fill of sun, sun and more sun. When we moved back to Oregon it was such a relief.

Phoenix
19th March 2012, 14:33

Hiya Nancy And All!

Twin Flame... Is that something like soul partner? I love the term twin flame... May I use it??

Mulder
20th March 2012, 09:45
I often think of getting land and trying to live off it, but in reality - it's too difficult! Mainly because I can't farm or grow veges or raise animals - I'm pretty hopeless at all this, so I'd end up on barren land having to go into my local store for everything.

Also, I joined a ground crew in 2008 and just having a one hour meeting was a nightmare. For example, someone brought their daughter who acted like a b!tch, and the father just picked holes in all our plans. So I think a group would eventually "break-down."

Another thing is we're only buying time - TPTB will eventually "come for us" - OMG in the 1990s they could spot marijuana plants in the open with satelliates, so they'll know we're there.

However, if you feel you can do it, them it's worth a try, but I simply would fail at it.

Mulder
20th March 2012, 09:49
I would but you probably wouldn't like it when I played my Abraham Hicks channeled DVD's and CD's every day .......providing we still had power ;)

I'd drive everyone around the bend with my Cds and podcasts too! There's only so many show tunes humans can take listening to each day - LOL!

Hermite
21st March 2012, 09:33
Gooty, this was something I decided to do 6 years ago. I'm older than you and a woman. This is the hardest I have ever had to work in my life. Every day, chop wood, carry water. Some days I think I can't go on. BUT, most days I realize I am happier and healthier than I've ever been. So, there are for sure two sides to this kind of life.

Mostly what I wanted to show you, though, is this web site. http://www.off-grid.net/section/off-grid-101/ This is chock full of info and you will find a section where people are buying land, selling land or looking for others to get together with. Maybe look at that for a bit and it will help you with your decision. Whatever it is, I wish you the best of luck.

gooty64
21st March 2012, 22:04
OK Well who am I kidding and what was I thinking?

It was a foolish idea like you said Horizons.

Back to exaggerated consumption, meat and coke for me.

Hughe
28th March 2012, 07:56
@gooty64

Did you postpone your decision or gave it up?

Traditional farming is garbage period. Check out permaculture. It's new way of farming that a very lazy person like me can do it. Also I have to say one thing "Freedom asks for challenges sometimes." Freedom is to earn by oneself not given to us.

Be practical how to spend your money and time. Honestly I spent all my money to learn things, experience so far. I worked on a deserted house on my property to make it a shelter for me. And applying permaculture to grow organic foods on the land. I have to do everything by myself because I can't convince people to embrace new lifestyle that I have.

I'll have to make money for paying property taxes and utility bills for a while. Saving few thousands dollars per year then I will do whatever I want that requires little money. I'll have good food, a cozy house, electricity of course. City dwellers are slaves. They just try not to admit reality they are in. I was one of them years ago. Friends of mine still maintain slavery livings in big cities. I have sorry feeling for them but that's their choices make.

Being a farmer doing permaculture is an excellent choice. There will be challenges during the transition.

I do not have luxury of big land or money to go Permaculture courses at the moment. I need to do my best to work around for making it happens. I have property, healthy body that takes hard labor for a while, and will power and brain.

VxJDCy9BjFQ

v9QsUWE-zvM

Xd4X8oigRKk

Earth Angel
28th March 2012, 21:11
NO no no ..... i hope you are kidding , it is not a foolish idea..........you will always find people who tell you that you can't do something, just ignore that and go with your heart, do you want to do it ??then go for it!!! btw , where did you go?? you've been deactivated and we were just getting to be good friends !!:confused:

ps I realize gooty, if deactivated can't reply , so if anyone knows what happend to him between last night and this morning please PM me??

HORIZONS
29th March 2012, 03:44

If that is truly your attitude - then so be it - you would never make it in the farm lifestyle with that kind of thinking. This is a major life challenge, but it is not impossible - you just need to be sure and have great resolve - but it can be done. I was just stating my personal reality - it does not have to be yours - for in fact, even though I have had to fight for this like never before - it has truly been an awesome experience, and even thought I have doubts sometimes about maintaining my presence here in this life - I am still here, working my way through the difficulty of it all - and who knows what I will do in the future, for I have built a vary healthy life here in this pristine Dutch Creek Valley, and it is an asset in many ways.

Mulder
16th May 2012, 06:55
So what has happened? Has gooty64 gone and started the farm without us? I think we have some good ideas here for anyone who wants to go back to the land. Let's hope gooty64 returns here one day.