PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners: Here's the Monsanto seed list

Kristin
28th March 2012, 04:00
Here is a detailed list of Monsanto brands. If you are putting in your garden, you may want to avoid these:

Beans: Aliconte, Brio, Bronco, Cadillac, Ebro, Etna, Eureka, Festina, Gina, Goldmine, Goldenchild, Labrador, Lynx, Magnum, Matador, Spartacus, Storm, Strike, Stringless Blue Lake 7, Tapia, Tema

Broccoli: Coronado Crown, Major, Packman

Cabbage: Atlantis, Golden Acre, Headstart, Platinum Dynasty, Red Dynasty

Carrot: Bilbo, Envy, Forto, Juliana, Karina, Koroda PS, Royal Chantenay, Sweetness III

Cauliflower: Cheddar, Minuteman

Cucumber: Babylon, Cool Breeze Imp., Dasher II, Emporator,
Eureka, Fanfare HG, Marketmore 76, Mathilde, Moctezuma,
Orient Express II, Peal, Poinsett 76, Salad Bush, Sweet Slice, Sweet Success PS, Talladega

Eggplant: Black Beauty, Fairytale, Gretel, Hansel, Lavender Touch, Twinkle, White Lightening

Hot Pepper: Anaheim TMR 23, Ancho Saint Martin, Big Bomb, Big Chile brand of Sahuaro, Caribbean Red, Cayenne Large Red Thick, Chichen Itza, Chichimeca, Corcel, Garden Salsa SG, Habanero, Holy Mole brand of Salvatierro, Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot, Ixtapa X3R, Lapid, Mariachi brand of Rio de Oro, Mesilla, Milta, Mucho Nacho brand of Grande, Nainari, Serrano del Sol brand of Tuxtlas, Super Chile, Tam Vera Cruz

Lettuce: Braveheart, Conquistador

Melon: Early Dew, Sante Fe, Saturno

Onion: Candy, Cannonball, Century, Red Zeppelin, Savannah Sweet, Sierra Blanca, Sterling, Vision

Pumpkin: Applachian, Harvest Moon, Jamboree HG, Orange Smoothie, Phantom, Prize Winner, Rumbo, Snackface, Spirit, Spooktacular, Trickster

Spinach: Hellcat

Squash: Ambassador, Canesi, Clarita, Commander, Dixie, Early Butternut, Gold Rush, Grey Zucchini, Greyzini, Lolita, Papaya Pear, Peter Pan, Portofino, President, Richgreen Hybrid Zucchini, Storr’s Green, Sungreen, Sunny Delight, Taybelle PM

Sweet Corn: Devotion, Fantasia, Merit, Obession, Passion, Temptation

Sweet Pepper: Baron, Bell Boy, Big Bertha PS, Biscayne,
Blushing Beauty, Bounty, California Wonder 300, Camelot, Capistrano, Cherry Pick, Chocolate Beauty, Corno Verde, Cubanelle W, Dumpling brand of Pritavit, Early Sunsation, Flexum, Fooled You brand of Dulce, Giant Marconi, Gypsy, Jumper, Key West, King Arthur, North Star, Orange Blaze, Pimiento Elite, Red Knight, Satsuma, Socrates, Super Heavyweight, Sweet Spot

Tomato: Amsterdam, Beefmaster, Betterboy, Big Beef,
Burpee’s Big Boy, Caramba, Celebrity, Cupid, Early Girl, Granny Smith, Health Kick, Husky Cherry Red, Jetsetter brand of Jack, Lemon Boy, Margharita, Margo, Marmande VF PS, Marmara, Patio, Phoenix, Poseidon 43, Roma VF, Royesta, Sun Sugar, Super Marzano, Sweet Baby Girl, Tiffany, Tye-Dye, Viva Italia, Yaqui

Watermelon: Apollo, Charleston Grey, Crimson Glory, Crimson Sweet, Eureka, Jade Star, Mickylee, Olympia

From the Heart,
Wormhole

Maia Gabrial
28th March 2012, 08:49
Thank you for this list, Kristin. I've been saving seeds and wasn't sure which ones were GMO....

blufire
28th March 2012, 11:07
Hi Kristin,

Perhaps a bit more research would be in order here. All the vegetable varieties you have listed are most definitely NOT GMO seed. They are hybrids. There is a huge difference. There are basically three types of seed available.

Heirloom or open-pollinated seed: These are the “old” varieties that have been around forever. You can save the seed from these plants and plant the next season and it will produce the same vegetable.

Hybrid seed: Hybrids are a cross between two different varieties or parent plants. Today we even have crossed hybrids with three and four parent plants; these are most often referred to as “super-hybrids”. Hybrids have a special quality that a gardener likes and tries to enhance through careful breeding. Hybrids can also be patented therefore enabling a company to charge more for the seed. Nature also creates hybrids when the wind carries pollen from one plant to another. The negative aspect on hybrids is you can’t save the seed and replant and expect to get the same vegetable. If you plant saved hybrid seed the following year it will revert back to one of the “parent plants” . . . .which ever has the stronger genetic traits. Remember basic biology on high school?

Genetically Modified Organism Seed (GMO) or like what I like to say genetically “mutated” organism: These seeds or plants have been genetically altered on a molecular level. Nature cannot create these Frankenstein foods. If you save seed from gmo-plants it will grow nothing or a plant that will not bear fruit. Also when gmo pollen is blown in the wind to heirloom or hybrids plants and cross pollinates it pollutes that plants ability to produce seed that will bear true or any fruit the following year.

I plant a mix of hybrids and heirloom varieties . . . . but I am careful to make sure the two garden plots are far from each other or have a hedge row or trees in between so the hybrids don’t cross-pollinate with my old heirlooms I have saved for years.

christian
28th March 2012, 11:15
All the vegetable varieties you have listed are most definitely NOT GMO seed. They are hybrids. There is a huge difference.

The list doesn't say GMO, it's just about not buying Monsanto products, isn't it? Not every seed from Monsanto is genetically modified yet. This exact list has been posted on many forums and blogs, that's nice.

blufire
28th March 2012, 11:37
Oh good point Christian.

Problem is unless you are buying strictly from small family owned “seed” farms or saving your own seed the basic gardener is a bit hosed. World-wide there are maybe three major “seed brokers” or major companies that distribute seed to all the other little seed companies. That’s why you will see these same varieties in gardening catalogs and bedding plants that are for sale at stores.

Also, too I guess. If we are going to boycott or not support Monsanto then we would not buy alomost no food from grocery stores . . . .fresh or canned . . . because you can bet the massive farms that grow these mass produced foods is buying their seed from a Monsanto based distributor.

It is most definitely a conundrum.

All the vegetable varieties you have listed are most definitely NOT GMO seed. They are hybrids. There is a huge difference.

The list doesn't say GMO, it's just about not buying Monsanto products, isn't it? Not every seed from Monsanto is genetically modified yet. This exact list has been posted on many forums and blogs, that's nice.

TigaHawk
28th March 2012, 11:54
The problem with GMO plants is...

You an have a hedge or seperate the garden's for miles....

A single Bee, Or Bug that flies to gather nectar/pollen from a GMO plant... then stumbles across a non GMO plant... contaminates the lot. ITs why they've got the big seed vault, so when it all goes to poo they'll have their little stash of safe, non corrupt food to grow.

Also, i think its criminal they dont have to label which fruit and veg in the supermarket is GMO/Non GMO.

becuase they damnwell know noone will touch the GMO if they label it.

Edit: I am pretty sure none of the Tomatoes in the supermarkets these day's are organic. U go to a supermarket and they all look perfect. barely any look... well "normal" (they're all "perfect" looking tomatoes) - Go to an organic shop and my goodness, u can see 1 or two that a bug's gotten into, they bruise easier, they are natural....

Ilie Pandia
30th March 2012, 12:32
Hello,

Are there any markers on the labels to tell you that it's a hybrid or a GMO seed?

king anthony
30th March 2012, 12:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnD-DiDRIJA&feature=related

Bo Atkinson
30th March 2012, 13:27
Hello,

Are there any markers on the labels to tell you that it's a hybrid or a GMO seed?

From what i have heard, GMO labels are not required and possibly banned in the USA.

Worse yet, we have had walnut and cherry grower-distributers, here in the USA, reprimanded for citing common-sense research, which mentioned health benefits of these foods. See http://www.naturalnews.com/ for more.

There clearly is a war against health in the USA. Nothing new, the current attack seems to be unfolding against the supplements industry.

Ilie Pandia
31st March 2012, 04:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnD-DiDRIJA&feature=related

Thanks for posting this video :).

I really recommend you watch this. Explains pretty well what the deal is with the GM food and exposes some of the myths around it.

PS: I've just read that in US is not mandatory to label food as Genetically Modified, but is against the law to label your food as NOT genetically modified, even if you are telling the truth. Go figure! (I don't have a link to said law, though)