PDA

View Full Version : How A Fuel Strike Could Affect You (UK)

The One
29th March 2012, 16:15
OMG at times i wonder how sad we are as a species Some government official says something and its panick panick panick.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2012/Mar/Week4/16198694.jpg

Talks to avert a fuel strike have been delayed until Monday as the Government clarifies its advice to motorists, saying they should only refill tanks when half empty.
Acas, the conciliation service, had hoped to get union representatives and tanker firms to the table sooner.

Unite members have voted in favour of a walkout and no date has been set.

But because the union must give seven days' notice before any strike, it means any action over the whole of the Easter weekend - which had been feared - is now less likely.

Amid criticism of the Government's handling of the situation and queues at some forecourts, Ed Davey, the Government been slammed by Labour for giving mixed messages to motorists.

The Energy Secretary has advised the public to top up petrol tanks to ensure they are two-thirds full.

He said: "I don't think they (drivers) need to queue, I don't think they need to change their behaviour very much."

Only a day earlier, Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude had advised motorists to fill a jerrycan - which can take 20 litres - and keep it at home as a precaution.

His suggestion was strongly criticised by petrol retailers and firefighters and was later described by transport minister Mike Penning as a "mistake".

Halfords said sales of jerrycans were up 467% on last year.

Labour leader Ed Miliband accused the Prime Minister of "presiding over a shambles on petrol" and suggested the Government has increased the risk of panic buying.

He called on David Cameron and Mr Maude to apologise to the country for their handling of the situation.

"They made a crude decision to play politics with petrol without regard for the consequence," he added.

The Retail Motor Industry Federation, which represents independent petrol stations, said sales of unleaded were up 81% yesterday compared with a usual Wednesday Diesel sales were up 38%.

Asda and Tesco said they had seen increased sales but insisted there was no need for consumers to change their normal shopping routine as no strike date has been set.

The AA said the number of extra customers buying petrol on Tuesday could have earned the Treasury £32m in fuel excise duty.

Around the country, some forecourts have reported shortages, others have run dry and queues have formed in some areas.

Dorset Police earlier called on some petrol stations to close temporarily to avoid queues blocking traffic.

There is no disruption to the fuel supply in the UK and members of the public should not panic buy," chief inspector Nick Maton said.

Hampshire police also said that "spurious rumours" online about shortages were fuelling panic buying.

Brian Madderson, who represents independent petrol retailers at the RMI, said: "What we had not expected was the Cabinet Office, responsible for crisis management, to say on Sunday, 'We're going to bring the Army in,' and on Monday to say, 'We're going to stockpile, that's what you should do'."

A better approach would have been to quietly discuss building up supplies directly with retailers without alarming the public, Mr Madderson said.

Petrol stations reporting low stocks can be partly attributed to escalating oil prices and high taxes as many forecourts cannot afford to buy very much petrol in advance, he added.

At the Cliviger service station in Burnley, Lancashire, owner John Sharp has had to receive emergency supplies of fuel.

"I blame the Government for causing the panic," he said.

"They talked about filling jerrycans and potential fuel shortages and all it made people do was come out and panic buy."

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16198659

Amity
29th March 2012, 20:55
It's really annoying!All the petrol stations around our area are all out, Had massive ques resulting in roads being blocked and general muppetry.

People moan about others panic buying then go out and fill the car "so they get some before it's all gone" DUH!!! lol

Kelly
29th March 2012, 22:05
Yeah same here, im in Liverpool, most places sold out, had to queue for ages today, how ridiculous is this????
This could be blamed on the government for saying what they did, but people are also responsible for believing them!!!
What are we, people or lemmings?????
Which i stated on the forecourt before getting in the car!!!!

RMorgan
29th March 2012, 22:18
Hey guys,

Probably this is just your government playing games, to blame Iran about it and get public support to start another war.

Cheers,

Raf.

Taurean
29th March 2012, 23:11
This may all be a distraction to deflect from the fact that oil prices are still rising when there is actually a glut of oil supply at the moment.

Anchor
30th March 2012, 01:40
How to store fuel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17548007

If you want to store fuel legal guidelines say you have to have the right container.

There are only two types you can use, the metal 10 litre and the 5 litre plastic can.

Both have to say Highly Flammable on them.

The maximum you can store at your home is 30 litres.

The jerry can is a 20 litre metal can. it is illegal to store petrol in one of these, this is because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container.

The government were encouraging people to break the law!

Muppets.

NOTE: These laws are for Petrol not Diesel, Diesel is a lot safer (but still not "safe") to store.

Taurean
31st March 2012, 10:25
You don't think this was all a prelude to this do you ?

http://www.freedomreigns.us/ALERTS.html

http://www.freedomreigns.us/ALERTS.html

What to Know, What to Do, and What Not to Do

Content copyright 2012. FREEDOMREIGNS.US. All rights reserved.

Ammit
31st March 2012, 11:15
Most garages in my area are dry, I often check garages as i drive past and some have really hiked the prices for unleaded. I am now down to half a tank and have kerbed my driving to save fuel.

I have heard of a few folk driving for miles and miles to find fuel to no avail, daft buggers...

RunningDeer
31st March 2012, 11:48
How to store fuel

Hi Anchor, I love your signature messages:

Every majestic oak tree was once a nut who stood his ground. [Act & act fearlessly!] [Be the calm!] [You are NOT losing it, everything is changing] [Trust no-one except yourself] [Meditate!]

seantimberwolf
31st March 2012, 11:54
This is just a big ****ing social experiment, its sickening that people fall for this ****.

It really angers me, i would not be surprised if this is also a way to "stealth tax" us into spending allot of money in a short amount of time before the financial year ends.
Its really upsetting and angering that people a t like savages and cretins over a form of energy that is truth be told about 50 years out of date and the government are just sitting on clean, safe and entirely free energy and people just lap it up.
I drive a car because i have too, i literally could not get to work if i did not, but if i lived in a city like Brighton i would not drive.

Sean Timberwolf

Daft Ada
31st March 2012, 12:18
I haven't filled my car, what possible difference would it make if I run out this week or next.
I totally agree with you Sean. That's exactly what went through my mind, bearing in mind the thieving bar stewards take 80% of the £1.42 per litre, creating a panic by telling the morons there will be a shortage and being 100% certain that the result would be total greed and panic to buy as much as possible, they guarantee to get millions in their coffers.
I couldn't believe the scenes of selfish greedy people filling their cars and then another ten Jerry cans in the boot, and screw everyone else.
Too stupid to realise that even doing that all they are doing is extending maybe by a week the time before they too are out of fuel.

Then of course there would be those who filled as many jerry cans as possible, so that when the fuel ran out they could sell it for ridiculous amounts of money.
Aren't people wonderful, I just love this planet :-(
It's a gimps of what it would really be like if it ever hits the fan, all these people talking about make sure you have food and this and that. Mate if you had the morons would kill you and take it all!

seantimberwolf
31st March 2012, 12:37
I haven't filled my car, what possible difference would it make if I run out this week or next.
I totally agree with you Sean. That's exactly what went through my mind, bearing in mind the thieving bar stewards take 80% of the £1.42 per litre, creating a panic by telling the morons there will be a shortage and being 100% certain that the result would be total greed and panic to buy as much as possible, they guarantee to get millions in their coffers.
I couldn't believe the scenes of selfish greedy people filling their cars and then another ten Jerry cans in the boot, and screw everyone else.
Too stupid to realise that even doing that all they are doing is extending maybe by a week the time before they too are out of fuel.

Then of course there would be those who filled as many jerry cans as possible, so that when the fuel ran out they could sell it for ridiculous amounts of money.
Aren't people wonderful, I just love this planet :-(
It's a gimps of what it would really be like if it ever hits the fan, all these people talking about make sure you have food and this and that. Mate if you had the morons would kill you and take it all!

I agree mate, this is a type of game there playing, they use fuel as a "quick boon" if you ask me,
It just seems that nowadays every year or so we go through some kind of fuel crisis weather it be a shortage or strike or the prices going up either way the result is always the same:
people rush to the pumps and the government make incredible amounts of money in a matter of days.!!

kingmonkey
31st March 2012, 12:57
This is actually one of my pet hates, to the point of physically feeling angry which i rarely do. The way people get so desperate and needy and acting totally selfishly. As the article states the union has to give seven days notice before any action is taken and none has been given yet. So why the mass panic.

It really saddens me to think how very dependant and trapped we have become on this stuff. A few days of vague threats and the mass panic that ensues.

Makes you wonder how bad things would become if there was a real shortage, or if the **** did hit the fan in some other major way? I just hope people can snap out of the me me attitude, but i fear its one of our basic survival instincts hard wired into us.