PDA

View Full Version : Quit my job yesterday

Ammit
30th March 2012, 22:24
Hi all

Following on from problems i had at my place of employment a while ago, i quit yesterday. I worked in a serious learning dissabillity and bad behaviour environment, Sunday I had 2 residents wanting to kill each other, now, these two rather large buggers were about to go hammer and axe at each other just as i walked into the room. I had to get in between them as none of the other 5 staff would and try to calm things down.

I got kicked , punched, butted and clawed, I managed to corner one and sat him down, the other was a bit more wound up so i manhandled him to his room to try and calm him down, bugger me he give me a left hook from the devil himself hit me in the right side of my face.

I restrained from retalliation but have been left with a very bad jaw and an aching tooth.

Told my boss next day and I got told " its part of the job", what,,,,, hell no, I found a pot of vaseline and gave it to her, told her it would make it easier to shove her job up her ass. quit and done.

Still, i am lefty with a very bad tooth that i may now loose, that will make 3 on the same side just from care work.

Beware care work......

Ammit

VaughnB
30th March 2012, 22:27
STONE AGE MENTALITY, move to the canada vancouver, hawaii, scandanvain countries where they appreciate people.

Turcurulin
30th March 2012, 22:35
Wow, Ammit. I'm so sorry, brother. You definitely handled yourself well, considering.

You certainly deserve better than that job. I'm glad that you will not be exposed to that anymore - though I'm sure that those who you cared for will miss you considering who they've been left with.

I've read a lot of your threads and posts involving survival/living off the grid and have always been highly appreciative of your knowledge. If you don't have anything lined-up, I suggest that you hold some seminars if/when you are in need of funds. People will definitely pay to hear what you have to say.

Wishing you the best, dear-friend.

Mike
30th March 2012, 22:40
did you really hand the boss the vaseline?

did you really deliver the 'ass' line?

wow. awesome.:) as they say over in your neck a the woods: "Good on yer, mate!"

RMorgan
30th March 2012, 23:25
Hi all

Following on from problems i had at my place of employment a while ago, i quit yesterday. I worked in a serious learning dissabillity and bad behaviour environment, Sunday I had 2 residents wanting to kill each other, now, these two rather large buggers were about to go hammer and axe at each other just as i walked into the room. I had to get in between them as none of the other 5 staff would and try to calm things down.

I got kicked , punched, butted and clawed, I managed to corner one and sat him down, the other was a bit more wound up so i manhandled him to his room to try and calm him down, bugger me he give me a left hook from the devil himself hit me in the right side of my face.

I restrained from retalliation but have been left with a very bad jaw and an aching tooth.

Told my boss next day and I got told " its part of the job", what,,,,, hell no, I found a pot of vaseline and gave it to her, told her it would make it easier to shove her job up her ass. quit and done.

Still, i am lefty with a very bad tooth that i may now loose, that will make 3 on the same side just from care work.

Beware care work......

Ammit

Wow!! That´s so cool mate! Did you really gave her the vaseline??

I´m sure you´ll find a much better job soon, my friend!

As far as I can remember, you wanted to quit this job for quite some time, right?

Cheers,

Raf.

frances
30th March 2012, 23:38
Go to the doctors and have your injuries documented. Then apply for criminal injuries, that way you will have your dental bill covered. You may also suffer from various after effects of the assault which may not be obvious to you now, but will later be the case. Tell your union rep about the assault they will help you and guide you. Don't be a victim. You have rights. Get your compensation it is your right. Frances.

Cilka
30th March 2012, 23:48
Hi all

Beware care work......

Ammit

Before taking on a job like that you should have expected that it was not going to be easy taking care of mentally challenged patients. On top of their mental challenges they were probably being prescribed medications that made them more psychotic. You have to be really dedicated emotionally to be able to handle such a responsible job. And it is true that you should have expected to be exposed to such extreme stress. It is a good thing you quit, this job is definitely not for you.

By the way, I dont believe you that you gave your boss a jar of vaseline and told her to shove her job up her behind. Good luck in finding another job, hopefully one that will be more suitable for you.

Ammit
30th March 2012, 23:53
Yes, i did hand her the tub of vaseline, and yes i am also concerned as to the staff i have left them with. i may have been harmed but they are still people with needs, i dont hate them i hate the system.

Seikou-Kishi
30th March 2012, 23:57
I bet this boss who said it was just part of the job would be quick to say how it's not part of their job. Even if it is an occupational hazard, there's no call to be such a **** about it. You showed better restraint than I would have in your situation, though I'd never have been in your situation in the first place... it takes more of a sh!t than I could ever give to do that work lol

Flash
31st March 2012, 00:01
Occupational hazard or not, you may have workers compensation as long as you report the teeth and cheek injury as well as the stress it has caused you right away to a doctor. THe stress alone would explain quitting the job and getting compensation (as it is the case for bank hold up even if it is a work related hazard). You may have PTSD from it even years after the event. So get to a doctor for your own sake.

And luck for anoher job.

Hervé
31st March 2012, 00:40
Was any form of Ho'oponopono (http://www.idreamcatcher.com/hooponopono/) ever applied?

Adi
31st March 2012, 00:50
Hi

Im a carer in a Dementia/Alzheimer's unit in a nursing home, very tough jobs at times, management can be oblivious to the goings on with the residents, e.g. there aggression to staff and physical assaults ect,, I always found my experience with management as ignorant and egotistical, but I suppose we are dealing with humans after all!

Adi

RunningDeer
31st March 2012, 01:02
Sometimes the best thing is to Leap: This sounds off topic, but I'm here to say I made the big decision, and it was the best thing for my mental, physical, and emotional health. I choose life.

After 27 years of teaching it hit me in May, 2004, that it was time to leave. That huge life changing decision went something like this: Mind, “Woman, what do you thing you are doing? Are you nuts?”; Emotions, butterflies and excitement; Higher Self, peaceful, inner knowing, new leg of the journey. My life goal had become a search for the “State of Peace”. By the middle June, I walked away from the security of a job and chose to live a small, fulfilled life. By today’s standards, I’m poor but I feel like a millionaire.

2012 Goal: My goal for this year as it’s always been is to assist in raising consciousness. So that we all can move into this next great leg of our journey. So the label is “retired” with a small web and graphics business in an apartment. I spend most of my waking days in reflections, reading, writing, walks, all the stuff that everyone else does, but now have more time to do it.

WhiteCrowBlackDeer

Sidney
31st March 2012, 02:55
Go to the doctors and have your injuries documented. Then apply for criminal injuries, that way you will have your dental bill covered. You may also suffer from various after effects of the assault which may not be obvious to you now, but will later be the case. Tell your union rep about the assault they will help you and guide you. Don't be a victim. You have rights. Get your compensation it is your right. Frances.

I second that!!!! Take pictures, write all of it down, every single detail. And isn;t there anything like workmans comp you could have taken? BTW LOVE LOVE the vaseline statement. Kudos.

NewFounderHome
31st March 2012, 03:01
Hello Ammit

You must be working in one of this small, unorganized, untrained, unfunded government or private organisation then the public doesn’t now exist or if they would see how this works, they would be appolled about. So yes I have been there! I was appointed with highly aggressive mentally handicapped patients, psy urgency and psy intensive care and deficient with serious learning disability.

There are training to deal with these types of situations, mentally, psychologically, and there are step that go up as these situation are being dealt with. A type of situation like this is going from seeing a client (patient) having concerns or mood change climbing up the ladder to the other extremity of a physical restraint. But all of these types of actions are done as a team and not as a solo situation.

When I hear then your boss did say that, tells me a lot. Run away from this type of job and don’t look back. There are some very good jobs in this field but you must be selective. What you did live is the make money or save money and don’t give service and security to employee and client (patient).

I wish you the best. Take care of that tooth. You should have done your medical side before having left your job, sorry to say that! They will not help you there. But in any case, move on my friend, don’t stop on this, it is not worth it!

Peace and love to all

Anchor
31st March 2012, 03:06
All healing to you and your poor teeth.

I think you'll be able to fix them.

Amysenthia
31st March 2012, 14:49
Hi AMMiT,

So sorry to hear of what has happened. I definitely understand why you chose to leave. It sounds as if this was a badly run program without enough staff to deal with such issues. I agree with the others about making sure that you have these injuries documented. In order to get them on record as proof of how badly understaffed the place is and for your own protection. I work in emergency medicine in a large city here is the STATES and totally understand about how you can be attacked in these psychotic episodes. Please make sure you get medically checked out and do be aware that these incidents can lead to PTSD.

Best wishes to you.

seantimberwolf
31st March 2012, 14:55
I admire your courage,
I could never do such a job, I'm a patient person but the physical violence would push me over the edge and i would react.
Not proud of admitting that but i loose myself when someone gets physical and i do the same.

Your a head above me friend.

foreverfan
31st March 2012, 15:02
And I thought my job was bad.

seko
31st March 2012, 18:36
I admire how patience you are. Patience helps you act and not react. Not many people like you... a big hug to you Ammit.

Thanks for being here with us.

Whiskey_Mystic
31st March 2012, 18:42
I bet this boss who said it was just part of the job would be quick to say how it's not part of their job. Even if it is an occupational hazard, there's no call to be such a **** about it. You showed better restraint than I would have in your situation, though I'd never have been in your situation in the first place... it takes more of a sh!t than I could ever give to do that work lol

Exactly. It was part of your job, but not part of the job of the staff who stood by and let you get hurt. You probably would not have been hurt if they had helped.

Woody
31st March 2012, 19:20
Hi ammit, sorry to hear of your experiences caring in this situation, I used to work in a psychiatric intensive care ward a few years ago and yes it could get pretty scary at times. Some days I would go to work and before entering the locked ward would say a prayer asking for me to finish my shift in one peace that day.
Your employer has a duty of care to the patients/residents, it has to provide a safe working environment to it's employees and patients alike. Risk assessments have be done to minimise potential hazards etc.
I would contact the cqc and report the manager for not maintaining a safe environment for residents and staff, lack of training to staff who stood and watched, and probably poor staffing levels.
Then claim compensation for injuries.
I hope this is of use.
Regards Colin.

WhiteFeather
31st March 2012, 19:40
Sorry to hear about what you were experiencing in your work environment. Must have been a nightmare to say the least. Perhaps now you may find a more peaceful job to work. I'm Sending out my intentions for you if needed. Good Luck. Let a new job come to you swiftly. : )

WhiteFeather
31st March 2012, 19:46
Was any form of Ho'oponopono (http://www.idreamcatcher.com/hooponopono/) ever applied?

From Your Link, I Found This Highly Interesting Amzer Zo,,,“I didn’t heal them. I healed part of myself that created them”. To me that was the most fundamental revelation to date. That phrase alone explains the most important presumption of Ho’oponopono:

Lifebringer
31st March 2012, 19:56
Peroxide and baking soda rinse and then seasalt rinse twice a week. They'll be tight and healthy in a month.

Hervé
31st March 2012, 20:38

From Your Link, I Found This Highly Interesting Amzer Zo,,,“I didn’t heal them. I healed part of myself that created them”. To me that was the most fundamental revelation to date. That phrase alone explains the most important presumption of Ho’oponopono:

Yep!

jagman
31st March 2012, 22:49
Ammit, You need to document all your injury's .I hope you went to the emergency room, If not, Go to one now. Be sure and tell them at
the hospital exactly what happened.Next step call an attorney immediately. From the sound of your story, Your former employer will be responsible
for all of your medical bills also for physical and emotional damages.

Ammit
31st March 2012, 23:05
Hi folks.

Thankyou for your kind words and comments.

Sadly, I have no witnesses to being smaked in the mouth and the staff are backing each other up from what I am told. The guys from the other unit state they did what they had to to help but did not notice whome was where..

I would certainly have a hard time trying to prove my injuries happened there, glad I quit because it shows who my friends are and how distrustfull the human race can be.

I am now searching out for a local emergency dentist for the next couple of days, tooth is agony and have thought of whipping it out myself but dont have the bollocks to do it.

Thankyou my friends

jcocks
1st April 2012, 08:23
Hi folks.

Sadly, I have no witnesses to being smaked in the mouth and the staff are backing each other up from what I am told. The guys from the other unit state they did what they had to to help but did not notice whome was where..

I would certainly have a hard time trying to prove my injuries happened there, glad I quit because it shows who my friends are and how distrustfull the human race can be.

I am now searching out for a local emergency dentist for the next couple of days, tooth is agony and have thought of whipping it out myself but dont have the bollocks to do it.

Thankyou my friends

Get that tooth looked at pronto! I don't have the finances to myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would help you out with a few dollars (pounds) to help cover the bill if it were needed.

Good thing you left there. I've been employed in workplaces like that before. You don't need that **** - you only end up lowering yourself to their level eventually out of neccessity, and you don't want that. Better to keep your integrity intact. I pray you find the job your heart desires (and deserves!)

My love and light to you
Joel

songsfortheotherkind
1st April 2012, 09:53
Before taking on a job like that you should have expected that it was not going to be easy taking care of mentally challenged patients. On top of their mental challenges they were probably being prescribed medications that made them more psychotic. You have to be really dedicated emotionally to be able to handle such a responsible job. And it is true that you should have expected to be exposed to such extreme stress. It is a good thing you quit, this job is definitely not for you.

By the way, I dont believe you that you gave your boss a jar of vaseline and told her to shove her job up her behind. Good luck in finding another job, hopefully one that will be more suitable for you.

I think losing three teeth due to care work is an indication of a reasonable degree of patience, willingness and understanding of the difficulties involved.

'Should' is so often such a sanctimonious word. I believe the OP would have been cognizant of the aggravation factor of medications, given the work environment. Being cognizant of the contributing factors does nothing in the moment you're being repeatedly punched in the face and are in an unsupported environment. Both my mother and my Self worked in this environment at various times- many of those who did not take periodic breaks from the worst of it turned into cynical, uncaring individuals who were so used to the horror side that they didn't bother seeing it for what it was anymore. Even those who are more than emotionally equipped still hit the wall.

There are definitely more aware places to work.

songsfortheotherkind
1st April 2012, 10:00
Hi folks.

Thankyou my friends

Can you get hold of some clove oil? I may well be preaching to the already aware and I thought I'd put it out there anyway- I had issues recently with my teeth that left me almost raving bonkers with pain and I got hold of some clove oil. Not only did it help with the pain, it also ended up healing the cause of the problem. I then spent a few weeks doing regular visualising and rewiring of my nerve pathways and rebuilt the sheath over the damaged nerves, after being told that nothing but having it removed would fix it. I still have the tooth, no nerve damage, no pain. The body is pretty amazing :)

frances
1st April 2012, 15:44
You don't need a witness, make sure the assault is documented in the works accident book. Get it signed by the manager and make a copy of what is written down. Important that you have injuries documented by GP or other medical staff. Also the violent outbursts by the residents should be documented in the nursing records. You can move forward with a claim but you need to make sure the documentation is there for reference. The claim takes a long time to process. Frances.

Ammit
1st April 2012, 21:21
Thanks Jcocks, I would however never ask for financial help with anything but thanks for the thought.
Frances, I cannot as the staff refused to witness the behaviours before my smack, i guess because it would have instigated them as doing nothing to assist, as for the accident book, well, I have not been back and wont so that is a no no.

I will pay the dentist the fee and have the tooth removed. I will then be shot of the place and I am already clearing the clutter from my mind ready for the next job.

I have today spent time at my allotments and have enjoyed nurturing my plants, had my young son there too and made a great relaxing day, I plan another tomorrow, after a call to a local dentist of course.

Many thanks guys and gals, your comments and advice are very appreciated.

Bless you all,
Ammit

frances
1st April 2012, 22:09
Good luck, your right to cleanse the stress from your mind, stress can be malignant if it's allowed to grow, so your right to leave it behind. Frances.

GoodETxSG
17th May 2012, 10:29
Hi all

Beware care work......

Ammit

I just went through the same retaliation issues myself... keep your head up and fight... Do not go to the EEOC, but get an employment attorney like I did. They are bringing a huge case to the EEOC about my issue;

Hey friends,
On a similar note of US troops and most important the ones returning from the wars... PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injuries and Seizures related to the head injuries are causing MANY thousands of soldiers to be discriminated against, Not Hired, or Illegally Fired.

It actually happened to me, I ended up having a seizure on the way home from work because my job made me come in after having a cluster of TBI related seizures... then I had a few seizures at work due to the stress of the HR dept causing issues... they then fired me... very illegally. This happened in April and I have found a better job and am finally NOT working for ANY types of Banks now... But I have opened a MAJOR EEOC law suit that may be one of the biggest land mark case that will help hundreds of thousands of returning vets....

In Dallas we are doing a protest at that company, but going to the Facebook page for this protest and clicking "Like" and posting a comment will be a great show of support to the troops, Oath Keepers and wounded warrior groups that are watching this closely... MODS spank me if I am not supposed to do this but it is important... the site is http://www.facebook.com/jobdiscrimination