PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Language Limiting You?

RunningDeer
4th April 2012, 17:19
Giving your power away is not taking responsibility for yourself. (I know you know this ďstuffĒ, but sometimes hearing it in anotherís voice brings it into sharper focus [again]).

Unconscious mind spews out debilitating phrases which is constantly programing oneself into a life of paralysis:

- Iím clumsy
- I have a black cloud over my head
- I always loose my keys
- Accidents always happen
- Iíve always done it like that†
- I'm unorganized
- I'm a procrastinator
- Iím fat, skinny, stupid, an idiot
- Everyone hates me
- Iím afraid
- Iím weak
- I'm confused
- S/he did it to me
- It's because of my mother/father
- I can't decide
- Victim blaming†
- No one cares
- Poor me
- I canít do that
- Everyone is jealous of me
- Donít hate me because I'm beautiful, hubba-hunk, rich, smart
- Iím too scared
- Why me?
- I can never do that
- Lifeís a bitch

This list is endless. So I'll stop here.

Conscious Mind takes responsibility for oneself:

- Takes ownership of and for your own life choices, not what others think you should do
- Awareness of what you put out is what you get back
- Choices, choices, choices
- No blame, just get the job done
- See from the larger perspective

Paraphrasing David Icke: ďYou are Consciousness having a human experience. It's time to wake-up.Ē

Time to acknowledge your unique perspective and the gifts that assist the Whole of Humanity.†The End.†Period.

Peace,
WhiteCrowBlackDeer

Tarka the Duck
4th April 2012, 17:26
This is a list of the top 5 Regrets of the Dying, compiled by a palliative care nurse (Bronnie Ware).
It stopped me in my tracks when I first read it: the implications are huge...I've put this on before, but for those who missed it ithe first time, here it is again:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

Seikou-Kishi
4th April 2012, 19:01
Edit: sorry this post is so long, but I really hope it gives people techniques to retake control of their lives. You're the pilot, not a passenger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, any battle fought between the conscious mind and the subconscious mind will only ever end one way, and it won't be the conscious mind that comes out top trumps. The subconscious mind is countless times more powerful than the consciousness, even if it's not as clever. It's full of pre-programmed behaviour that 'theoretically' helps us deal with the world because in our early life (including pre-natal life) the conscious mind isn't as well developed and so doesn't restrict the huge flow of information.

That's a mechanism to allow children to learn so much faster than adults. If you tell an adult something, their conscious mind checks it against what it already believes (a phenomenon called 'the Critical Factor'; the belief need not be true) so the learning process is that much slower. Have you noticed when a kid asks a question and you give them an answer, they just accept it with "oh" or "yes". They might follow the answer up with a second question in sponge-like fashion, but they accept what they are told. This is the problem. In a wonderful atmosphere where the only lessons are positive lessons, people would develop wonderfully (and, in fact, built on such good foundations, a person could get through their life perfectly well never actually being conscious, since their autopilot would be pretty damn spiffing on his own), but in a bad atmosphere full of negativity, the children learn unhelpful lessons.

This is true of nearly all children. I would go so far as to say all children. Some children receive neglect and abuse and we are not shocked when such a childhood informs the rest of their lives, but how many of us have parents who drill it into us that we can be whatever we want to be while demonstrating just how riddled their own lives are with self-doubt? It is often said of the hypocritical, Victorian era parents "don't do as I do, do as I say". The problem is that children don't do as we say, they do as we do; they learn by observation much more than active tuition. We can tell them the world is their oyster all we like, but if we're acting like shrinking violets not only are they going to grow up as shrinking violets too, they'll grow up with the subconscious impression that we don't practice what we preach.

Of course, children are not the only people who have no critical factor (or a diminished one); adults very often disable their critical factor. They used to call it trance, but these days we call it vegging out. It is often assumed that a person's mind is always conscious during their waking ours, but actually the truth is very different: the conscious mind is conscious only when it's needed and very often it shuts itself off. If you've learned to drive, you'll remember how intricate and complicated it all was when you were first learning. Check the wing mirrors, the rear-view mirror, gear-stick... all that sort of thing, but now, if you've been driving regularly (and habitually, which is key) you will find that it all comes automatically.

It comes automatically because the process has been ingrained; that is, your subconscious mind has taken over leaving your conscious mind free to hold a conversation or run through your to-do list. Very often, people will get to where they were going, get out of the car and then realise they can't remember driving there. Often, people's conscious mind will come back into focus while they're driving and they will realise they've been driving unconsciously and apparently had no accidents. The subconscious mind is powerful, capable of intricate and complex manoeuvres and generally helpful

Where it fails is its child-like stupidity (the subconscious mind, being the mind of the child, behaves very childishly). When we learn bad things, our subconscious mind thinks "this is a harsh world, I have to take drastic action to keep the body safe." When we learn that there is no point trying because failure is guaranteed, our subconscious mind decides that it will preserve its resources by not letting you try. It is self-fulfilling prophecy. Treat your subconscious mind like an animal. It can't reason and it can't analyse its own behaviour to make sure it is behaving healthily.

This is the good part, though; the conscious mind does review its own actions. The conscious mind is reflective and allows us to change our programming by being aware of our behaviour and changing it. This is not the same as fighting that programming. In martial arts, we learn that if the enemy is too strong that it is not wise to go head-to-head in a yang-style clash, but to adopt a yin style and use their own force against them. Flow the lines of motion and take their momentum into your own movements. This is how to influence the subconscious. Animals and children both hate to be forced, but they can be manipulated rather easily. Don't force your subconscious, be gentle :-)

So how do you do this? Well you can learn techniques of self-hypnosis, but it can actually be much less involved than that. We've already discussed how the conscious mind (the part which prevents editing of the programming) isn't always active and we can use those moments of inactivity to access our programming. It is well known that people zone out when they sit in front of the television and that this is why advertisements have such a powerful effect. You can use similar zoning-out to rewrite your programming.

One technique you can use is to create your own videos or sound files with a computer programme. Fill them full of motivational ideas. Not just actively good things like "I stand in my own power. I am my own person" but also things like "I discard everything that hinders and limits me". Play these on repeat or loop them, then do your best to ignore them. Play them in the background while you read a book (distracting the conscious mind lets subconscious messages enter through the back door) or just sit and zone-out while they're on. Play them in your car while you drive. Most drivers drive subconsciously unless they're new drivers and nervous of the road, so double up the usefulness of your drives. Do you have to drive for groceries? Excellent, why not consider it a drive to clean your subconscious too? Pop the CD in the car, get to where you're going and let the motivational phrases seep into the subconscious.

Another way is to make use of the trance-techniques used by shamans. Take a short motivational phrase, something like "I am loved" (to combat the moping 'nobody loves me' thing that does much more harm than people realise), and repeat it continuously until you lose any sense of meaning. Keep speaking until the action becomes automatic, as though you can feel your lips flapping. Treat it like an active meditation: the repetition shuts down the conscious mind giving the phrase a powerful influence on your subconscious. The phrase will come to sound like a jumble of senseless sounds ('dime love', for example) and the longer you keep speaking it, the further it will sink in. If your conscious mind becomes aware don't fight it, just keep repeating the phrase and the conscious mind will shut off again.

(The problem with this is that the subconscious mind is programmed to turn on the conscious mind when it thinks the conscious mind is called for. You'll find when you repeat phrases that you trip over the words when the conscious mind switches back on. Just keep repeating it and your conscious mind will slink away again. You'll also find when you're watching TV and zoning out, if something unexpected happens your mind will snap back into focus. This is generally a good thing, but when you're rewriting your programming it is less helpful. Just ignore it. That'll give it the signal that it's not needed after all and it'll turn itself back off.)

I hope somebody finds this useful. To summarise (I'm sorry the post is so long) I will say: turn off your conscious mind and take advantage of its inactivity to reprogramme your subconscious. Don't just add motivational programming, but actively remove negative programming ("Nobody loves me", "I would only fail anyway", etc.) It is said in hypnosis circles that all hypnosis is self-hypnosis and that's true: the hypnotist is a guide, but only one person can turn off your conscious mind/critical factor, and it isn't him, it's you.

Be confident in the power of your subconscious. Be confident in your ability to change it. Be confident of the greatness of the results to come. Such confidence will only improve the results. If you are sceptical I say this: confidence is the greater part of the matter. Failure hampers confidence which hampers future success, while success bolsters confidence and future success. Knowing this, side-step the trial and error and be confident from the beginning. In other words: choose confidence, because it really is a choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, think of your mind as a lake and you're the ecologist. It's your duty to ensure that nothing gets in that will pollute the water. If you're one who listens to songs with bad lyrics, try to phase them out of your life. Such bad thoughts can be addictive and like most addictions they interfere with your body's ability to control itself.

Before you listen to music, check the lyrics out. If it has lyrics that will hamper you, it might be an idea to give serious consideration to whether it will be allowed to stay in your collection.

Compare these two lyric-samples from two different songs and ask yourself which you'd rather be instilling in your mind:

Good Charlotte ó The Young & The Hopeless
'Cause, I'm young and hopeless
I'm lost and I know this
I'm going nowhere fast that's what they say
I'm troublesome, I've fallen
I'm angry at my father
It's me against this world and I don't care, I don't care

or

Dima Bilan ó Believe
Cause I got something to believe in
As long as I'm breathing
There is not a limit to what I can dream
Cause I got something to believe in
Mission to keep climbing
Nothing else can stop me if I just believe
And I believe in me.

Alie
4th April 2012, 19:05
one thing I have removed from my language is calling an illness or condition "mine" ... like my heartburn, my arthritis, my depression. If you notice how commercials use this to create the "hook". I think it creates victimhood or ownership of disease, which is hard to shake off.

MorningSong
5th April 2012, 11:57
I think this video belongs here! Enjoy!

Hzgzim5m7oU

CdnSirian
5th April 2012, 14:44
A great list WCBD...for de-programming. Becoming aware of the busy-mind endless tape loop chatter can be quite revealing!

A friend sggested to me yesterday, that when using EFT tapping, Healing Codes, meditation, whatever technique, to include releasing negative phrases/emotion from the body organs, and restore the vacuum with the positive self-talk, into the body organs.

I do understand programming runs deep, but we do what we can eh?

sdv
5th April 2012, 16:53
Can you tell me more about EFT tapping? Have you had any personal experience of it? Has anyone else had personal experience of techniques to align oneself consciously and unconscioulsy with positivity and joy?

Peace of Mind
5th April 2012, 16:58
great thread...

If you're interested in more of this.....http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?37167-The-often-ignored-power-of-sound-and-language...

Peace

RunningDeer
5th April 2012, 17:46
great thread...

If you're interested in more of this.....http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?37167-The-often-ignored-power-of-sound-and-language...

Peace
Hello Peace of Mind,

Thank you for the link. It's really informative. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of it, but will give a thorough read.

Peace,
WhiteCrowBlackDeer

Peace of Mind
5th April 2012, 17:59
Iím not entirely sure why youíre apologizing, if itís about the infoÖplease, no apologies needed. These sought of threads are very important and beneficial. I should apologize to you for not finding more ways to support and promote it. Please continue to do what youíre doing, itís well appreciated. I donít own any knowledge because I always give it away freely.

Peace

9eagle9
5th April 2012, 21:03
I am hugely powerful,
I'm charming,
I'm drop dead gorgeous
I'm charasmatic
I'm fit
I have a brilliant mind

Trust me. I know from experience people don't like to hear those sorts of things either given the response I get

Your arrogant,
you have a superiority complex
you're conceited
stuck up
aloof
You're unspiritual

Not that that changes anything, just keep them to yourself if you are attempting to affirm your way from a state of woundedness even those who extoll the virtues of affirmative language will be the first ones offended by it when it comes out of your mouth.

It's okay for THEM to say that about you but our social programming makes it not okay for us to say it about ourselves but it is a process of knowing and accepting yourself.

9eagle9
5th April 2012, 21:15
Search EFT and tapping on YOUTUBE. You can also use emotional release techniques or Emotional freedom techniques. You will find lots of videos on tapping to at least observe the process. then pick a issue of your choice and tap ton it.

I use it daily.

If you feel like its not working,understand these things have a dis-integration and re-integration process of about 10 days . If you still haven't felt like you've blown your issue (issues provide symptoms of lack so you know what the issue is) you got into a symptom of the issue and not the root or the core.

I used it last night as I started realizing when I wake up in the middle of the night I felt guilt for sleeping or that I should be up doing something even though its 3 am. Or when I take a nap I'll wake up in a panic because "I should be 'doing something"

This results in a lot of broken sleep for me and I really need my sleep because I have a very physically and mentally challenging life and I really want that out of consciousness time.

I was raised in a family that viewed sleeping in or napping as a serious character flaw because you weren't doing things for other people when you were sleeping but was basically a means of self indulgence, and laziness. That is my conscious knowing of the issue.

The other side of this that I wasn't indulging or baby sitting other people or waiting on them when I was sleeping....lol.

Tapping brings up the feeling or emotion that causes the actual blockage so when I was sleeping I'd wake up to be met with overwhelming guilt. I could rationalize that away consciously, but the feeling was trapped, so I had to blow that.

That's not a serious disempowering program but I'm pretty happy I blew it.

Can you tell me more about EFT tapping? Have you had any personal experience of it? Has anyone else had personal experience of techniques to align oneself consciously and unconscioulsy with positivity and joy?

RunningDeer
5th April 2012, 21:17
This comment doesn't fit thread.

RunningDeer
5th April 2012, 21:21
This info doesn't fit thread.

Cilka
6th April 2012, 01:58
Hmm......It's not the language that is limiting me. I think that what is limiting me is a bit more complicated. I believe that before I was born I chose this pathway that I, Cilka, am right now on in this human body, and I wish I was more conscious of the limitations that I was setting myself for in this 3D world. If I did not create all these limitations I think that I could have contributed more to my life and the life of others. I dont want to sound depressing, but I feel that sometimes this journey I am living now is a waste of a journey. I also think that being on the other side, before we are born, we forget how hard life can be here in 3D. This is just my opinion, that's all.

9eagle9
6th April 2012, 13:03
You're right its probably not the core problem. But the language we use is a symptom of what is ailing us--core values. Changing our language without finding out the core value attached to what is prompting the thought that provockes the speech is the root of the problem. One can shift their language but it won't shift the core value, and it takes tremendous effort to do unless something in the inner landscape shifts.

I watch people attempt to affirm their way to 'money'. Doesn't work if the core value isn't budged. People who are in patterns of financially deficet usually lack self value, so no value is reflected in their external lives.

Stand in a circle of the piously spiritual who deny materialism completley and shout "Yah money. I LOVE money' and see what sort of reaction one gets. They attempt to attack character but they can't if one has self value. The money isn't responsible for my self value, its just a symptom of it.

A component of clairaudience is listening to the words people are using. You correct the conscious speech enough and they'll start speaking from the subconscious then you get a whole meal of what is going on in their inner landscape. Some people call this psychic. Psychic is someone who has lost most of their conditioning to see it in others and are adept at viewing what is occuring in someones....PSYCHE. Very dead on predictions are made from that. Core values prompt a repeated pattern of behaviors and actions.

Psychic, another highly misunderstood word.

People are the power generators in this world, you know whats going on inside their heads and you can know how they are going to shape our future with that power. They will block and depend on thoughts or they will allow the full expression of that power. We are portals for energy. Why so many 'psychic' predictions fail they don't take that into account that we are the portals of powers , its not external events shaping things, its us based on what is occuring in our psyche.

We don't understand our own language. We don't KNOW what it really means. We don't understand what affection and original thought means because we aren't looking at what is right in front of our face but going by other definitions that have re-defined our language. Speech is only a reflection of the thoughts in our head.

Affection is misconstrued. Look at the root word AFFECT. An AFFECT is in motion. Not just behaviors that show fond regard for another. AFFECTIONS can be damaging. Ask any woman who has been charmed by the affections of man, and then dumped the next day. Still AFFECTION is regarded as a positive thing when it just is what is is. An AFFECT is occuring.

Literally i could walk in to any place and slam everyone with insults until they were all riled up, sour and in outraged and I'm literally (defined by literate) showing affection even though my tongue has disembowled everyone.

We live in an illiterate world. We don't know what words mean. Why? We've redefined words.

Origin-al thought. Look at the word. ORIGIN. From the source. Not neccessarily 'new' or different or 'previously unheard or un-thought of' but thoughts that are provocked from the ORIGINS. The source or 'the' Source. Genuine? Authentic? Un-influenced by anything outside of its sources. Because it came from a source that is not corrupted by programs, conditioning, etc? Not that its an idea that no one has ever had...its a thought that came from Origins.

Those are powerful expressions, ORIGIN-al thought and the speech that reflects that.

People tend to think Yes is more powerful than NO. Because we've assigned fawtly judgements to words. The same way we began re-defining words. Responsiblity. The core is Response. How we respond to something. Not shoulder the cares of the world or managing everything. Very Respnsible people are in actuality very 'careless' seeming.

Our spirituality tends to want to run along alongs of not wanting a care in the world but...care-less is still not considered a worthy character trait is it?

If NO comes from original thought its the power of the ORIGIN being expressed.

People get riled when I express anything of NO nature but can't really do anything about it. They can't get around it or change it .

I can't do anything about it if it came from the Origin. I could block its expression is the most I could do. Just shut and not say anything but then I'm judging Source or Origin-al thought. To allow Source to express itself without judging it is actually what humility is. It's not modesty certainly. Modesty springs from judgement or conditions--fear of what others may think of us. They may think us arrogant or all knowing.

Origins or Source thought isn't modest. And everyone knows that god is all knowing. If one repeatedly taps into Origin-al thought they do run the risk of being all knowing.

Hmm......It's not the language that is limiting me. I think that what is limiting me is a bit more complicated. I believe that before I was born I chose this pathway that I, Cilka, am right now on in this human body, and I wish I was more conscious of the limitations that I was setting myself for in this 3D world. If I did not create all these limitations I think that I could have contributed more to my life and the life of others. I dont want to sound depressing, but I feel that sometimes this journey I am living now is a waste of a journey. I also think that being on the other side, before we are born, we forget how hard life can be here in 3D. This is just my opinion, that's all.

RunningDeer
6th April 2012, 13:11
Iím not entirely sure why youíre apologizing, if itís about the infoÖplease, no apologies needed. These sought of threads are very important and beneficial. I should apologize to you for not finding more ways to support and promote it. Please continue to do what youíre doing, itís well appreciated. I donít own any knowledge because I always give it away freely.

Peace
Hello Peace of Mind,

You have much emphasis on the word "apology", it detracts from the original purpose of why you left the post. Though, thereís no doubt that we both have the sincere intent to share information.

Peace,
WhiteCrowBlackDeer

My original post: Thank you for the link. It's really informative. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of it, but will give a thorough read.

Iím not entirely sure why youíre apologizing, if itís about the infoÖplease, no apologies needed.
I wasnít apologizing to you.

I should apologize to you for not finding more ways to support and promote it.
None needed.

I donít own any knowledge because I always give it away freely.
I am in agreement with you - knowledge is shared.

Please continue to do what youíre doing, itís well appreciated.
Thank you, and Iíd say the same to you as well.

sdv
6th April 2012, 13:12
Is your language limiting you reminds me of Don Miguel Ruiz's - The Four Agreements :
agreement 1
Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
Am I on the right track in saying that language does not only refer to the words you speak but also the words you think and write?

DeBron
6th April 2012, 13:13
A person on this forum informed me that my name (DeBron) in Dutch means The Source. So I say I am DeBron every morning now. It is great.

I was having a conversation with someone about the music we listen to and how a lot of it is internalized and keeps people from being more than they are currently allowing themselves to be. I want to just thank you all for this thread and all the information within.

9eagle9
6th April 2012, 13:18
(a phenomenon called 'the Critical Factor'; the belief need not be true)

Yes in hypnosis which is all about navigating the subconscious, we call it the Critical Barrier.

It criticizes the truth and refuses it often times.

But if anything has been heard before it will be let it in. Not because whats been told is truthful neccessarily it lets it pass simply because its heard it before. This is why so many new age religions are created from old patriachal beliefs, they sound different in speech and expression but the core value is familar because its the same-- so people accept it or rather ...wait for it...RESONATE...to it.

Now we have a paradigm if you 'resonate' to something it MUST be truthful or applicable when its just a sort of chord pinged on the the Critical Factor or Barrier. A sort of mental deja vu. You've heard it before , that familiarity must be meaningful, so one accepts it.

9eagle9
6th April 2012, 13:40
Shamanic people are required to be impeccable with speech. That means knowing what what words really mean. Shamanic people are painfully honest because humanity has to learn to go back to origins or authenticity, not just what 'sounds nice."

they aren't just immpecable about positive things. A shaman may acknoweldge that you are composed of great beauty but you are also an idiot. I've had shamans clock me upside the head for not following instructions. Why the head? Something is so fixed there its preventing me from guidance...lol. They know by this time words will just be converted into cognitive resonance so bang up side the head. Percussion. Breaks up density. People think this is violent. Percussion is violent. Go watch someone playing a drum set one day. Tapping is percussion. Why EFT or tapping. It breaks up the density, where the program is nesting.

What do you do when someones staring off into space in a trance, you slap them on the arm. Hey wake up, your about to walk in front of moving bus!

When one is in a trance one always applies violence. Going into shoc?, tap someone between the throat and breast bone--hard.

The beat of the heart is arrested by some anomaly playing along its energetic source, what do we do. We pound on the chest.

Alas..violence has been corrupted. We can't employ violence because ...its 'not nice.'

We can be truthful with our speech a truthful and honest intention but our language is not understood so we unwittingly speak from a place that is doesn't have integrity. And a shaman will say "You have no fooking idear of what your talking about. You don't even now the words you are saying." But that's wrong to correct people.

And most people don't. They are just repeating programs instilled in the heads.

Look at the word sha-MAN. Now shamans are given a sort of supernatural over coating and its not that at all. There is nothign supernatural about a shaman. Their plain old natural.

Druids who were highly academic expressed this very well. They knew the language they spoke in and they didn't allow it out there to be corrupted and perverted. Very little written history the druids had.

Is your language limiting you reminds me of Don Miguel Ruiz's - The Four Agreements :
agreement 1
Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
Am I on the right track in saying that language does not only refer to the words you speak but also the words you think and write?

CdnSirian
6th April 2012, 14:37
An interesting part of healing with EFT tapping or The Healing Codes is the choice of language used to defuse a program. Sometimes I'll start off with a phrase and as I tap I start to feel "it's not that really, it's more like this". So as the feeling gets focused, the language gets sharply focused as well.

Then when one converts to the positive aspect of the issue, words can also be chosen and re-chosen to express the exact idea wanted.

I also love the Four Agreements - it's a good reminder to choose words carefully, including in one's self-talk.

Thanks all!

panopticon
6th April 2012, 15:19
This is a list of the top 5 Regrets of the Dying, compiled by a palliative care nurse (Bronnie Ware).
It stopped me in my tracks when I first read it: the implications are huge...I've put this on before, but for those who missed it ithe first time, here it is again:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

G'day Tarka the Duck,

This is probably one of the best posts I've read anywhere.
Thank you.
Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

v4leriana
6th April 2012, 15:23
one thing I have removed from my language is calling an illness or condition "mine" ... like my heartburn, my arthritis, my depression. If you notice how commercials use this to create the "hook". I think it creates victimhood or ownership of disease, which is hard to shake off.
yeah so true!