PDA

View Full Version : The Real Story of Spartacus

write4change
17th April 2012, 19:31
I got really swept up in the sinful pleasure of the Spartacus series on cable. Not my usual cup of tea but talk about a series that really let it all hang out.

I initially watched it to see what Lucy Lawless was up to---ooolala. LOL

It had been a long time since the Kirk Douglas movie came out and when I saw that in my 20s I was really disappointed it did not get the oscars it deserved.

So I started researching Spartacus and was amazed to find out how much biographical and historical material came out since the 60s.

Researching it I found an excellent movie on top documentary films on Spartacus that was genuinely historically documented. This is a really entertaining and enlightening film for free.

My point in writing this is about what goes on politically in movements; as Spartacus was a genuine movement.

What is not well known is the middle part of the story. Spartacus and about 70,000 people escaped and got all the way to the bottom of the Alps. He promised to bring them there and then did. The original plan was then to break up in small bands and everyone go back where they came from.

But the big fly in the ointment was the people. Once they got there, they did not want to do the hard work of crossing the Alps. They had come to love plundering and pillaging. Many of them thought they could hold Rome at bay.

They even insisted that since Spartacus brought them there that he lead them back. He told them they were going to certain death and they did not care. In some ways the people became corrupted by power. What was honorable about Spartacus is that he could have survived and more or less chose to go down with the people.

It is a great story but it is also a great warning and it is the warning that has been removed from conscious recall.

Cartomancer
17th April 2012, 20:23
Interesting that the first Sparticus was directed by Stanley Kubrick. He later went on to do 2001 a Space Odyssey as well as Eyes Wide Shut. He is the guy everyone says filmed the "fake" moon landings etc. He was supposed to have been on the inside of the world of the elite. I will check out the new one if it is on youtube etc. Thank you.

write4change
17th April 2012, 20:28
I could write a book on Eyes Wide Shut. It would be like the Zepruder ? sp film. We have all seen it. It clearly shows a frontal gunshot to the head first. No one has had the courage to do the right thing about that coup d'etate yet. Eyes Wide Shut is there is your face. An elite above all moral, ethical, and spiritual laws with nothing you can do about it.

Cartomancer
17th April 2012, 20:52
I could write a book on Eyes Wide Shut. It would be like the Zepruder ? sp film. We have all seen it. It clearly shows a frontal gunshot to the head first. No one has had the courage to do the right thing about that coup d'etate yet. Eyes Wide Shut is there is your face. An elite above all moral, ethical, and spiritual laws with nothing you can do about it.

That movie is a bad trip. It's like an accident you can't resist looking at. Kubrick was definitely in the know. Look at the stargate imagery and theme of 2001 that is now such a poplar subject matter. I'm going to have to watch the original Sparticus again though it is not hard to see the hidden aspects of that story either. Obviously in Eyes Wide Shut he was telling us about reality on a level I never really took seriously until I saw the movie. Do you think there are really .orgs like the ones depicted in the movie?

percival tyro
17th April 2012, 23:09
I haven't seen either film. Who are the messages aimed at and why?.

Cartomancer
17th April 2012, 23:17
I haven't seen either film. Who are the messages aimed at and why?.
Here's an interesting scene from Eyes Wide shut that may answer some of your questions. (mild adult content so we'll just post the link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttXcexCSOjs&feature=related