PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Wizard's Staff! - crystals, geometry, images, alignments - considerations?

DeDukshyn
22nd April 2012, 00:07
Hi all,

I'm taking a break from seriousness to get back to some fun and creativity (which is serious stuff, really ;))

What I want to do is build a "wizard's staff" -- I always felt I should have one, and as a kid constantly was on the lookout for better staff sticks in the forest. More recently, motivated much by the fact that I am an artist (creator really -- I just like to invent, design, and build / create -- not at all fussy about the media ;-)

So what I am asking for are any considerations of anyone who thinks they can contribute -- whether it be an off the top of your head reactionary comment to this post, or a well thought metaphysical guide to building wizard staffs, to anything in between, I'd love to hear it! I do already have a bit of a design in mind that incorporates several crystals, and sacred alignments, particularly around the head of it; but I won't be revealing my current potential design yet as I want a bit more feedback first.

I would be particularly interested if Carmody had anything to add for me - he seems to understand some physics and ethereal sciences that most aren't even aware of. I'm not looking for a truly functional or authentic "wizard's staff" (I don't need it to shoot lasers or capture souls or part seas) but am intent on making one, so I'm trying to do the best possible job to make the best, possibly practical, definitely artistic, possibly functional wizard staff I can.

I am willing to spend some money but not thousands of dollars - I don't want suggestions for laser beams, or insanely rare crystals that are not price practical.

My first thoughts were to use Lemurian seed crystals, but I'm not exactly sure what makes these special over regular quartz (I mean, what physical properties define "Lemurian seed"?) -- any crystal experts out there perhaps can give their insight.

Vogel cut quartz also seemed initially appealing.

53 degrees 11 inches (or is it 52?) also appealed as an alignment for certain crystals (the natural angle of a quartz tip I believe and the exact same as the Giza pyramids) -- any other alignment considerations are welcome -- give reasons.

Oak for wood seemed to appeal -- but any suggestions are welcome.

Images / symbols to carve into it --- I'm all open to suggestions here - give reasoning.

Quartz and Amethyst are the first crystals that seem to appeal for this project -- but I can use many crystals -- give me some ideas!

Well that's about it, as you can see I am still much in development stage, although I do already have a few intentions for the design; so at this point, all considerations are welcome!!!

Kindred
22nd April 2012, 00:23
DeD - I'll suggest another gemstone; Labradorite

from a web site: http://www.sobrietystones.com/resources/GemBook/Stones/meanings_gemstones_labradorite.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This stone is very good for enhancing night vision, and can be of great help in developing the ability to see auras.

Self Esteem: Labradorite promotes strength of will and a feeling of inner worth about your own abilities, while relieving insecurity and apprehension about your value as a spiritual being.
Creativity: Labradorite helps to combine intellectual thought with intuitive wisdom enhancing discernment in all situations. This gemstone elicits creativity by inspiring you to come up with original ideas and solutions to problems.

Diet: Labradorite is an excellent gemstone for those seeking to lose weight as it balances and regulates metabolism.

Career: Brings patience, which leads to better focus and concentration. This stone enhances perseverance, very helpful for those who are facing a period of sustained work, such as students at exam time, and for those who are prone to overwork.
Athletes and Procrastinators: It can stimulate physical activity, and 'kick start' the energy necessary to get into action.

Physical: clarify eyes, gout, colds, rheumatic fever, feeling cold, and lowers blood pressure.

Keywords: Psychic Wisdom, Promotes intellectual, intuitive, and mystical wisdom, calmness, intuition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going for oak, use white oak as red oak is more prone to rot and checks badly. Another good 'light' wood is ash - has a nice tonal quality with lots of 'flecks', particularly when varnished.

bluestflame
22nd April 2012, 00:24
kyanite is another good one

am currently working with river redgum for me wands

I also work with copper pipe with splayed ends fer holding spheres (like 4-8 pronged claw)

centre can be filled with tumbled crystal fragments "to taste"

modwiz
22nd April 2012, 01:14
If I see Carmody, I will let him know you asked for him. :thumb:

spiritguide
22nd April 2012, 01:31
This site is pretty extensive regarding crystals, types, properties and their metaphysical uses.

http://www.crystalinks.com/gemstones.html

For the capstone you should consider a herkimer diamond. The aspect of putting stones related to the four elements at the cardinal points around the staff just below the capstone is desirable.
Their is a color and frequency for each. When you cut the wood out from the tree or the tree itself thank the tree for sacrificing itself for your intentions. Ash is best but any wood will do. IMHO

Wishing you well on your project and be sure that if you add anything to the staff that it is of natural origin.

:peace:

DeDukshyn
22nd April 2012, 02:27
DeD - I'll suggest another gemstone; Labradorite

from a web site: http://www.sobrietystones.com/resources/GemBook/Stones/meanings_gemstones_labradorite.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This stone is very good for enhancing night vision, and can be of great help in developing the ability to see auras.

Self Esteem: Labradorite promotes strength of will and a feeling of inner worth about your own abilities, while relieving insecurity and apprehension about your value as a spiritual being.
Creativity: Labradorite helps to combine intellectual thought with intuitive wisdom enhancing discernment in all situations. This gemstone elicits creativity by inspiring you to come up with original ideas and solutions to problems.

Diet: Labradorite is an excellent gemstone for those seeking to lose weight as it balances and regulates metabolism.

Career: Brings patience, which leads to better focus and concentration. This stone enhances perseverance, very helpful for those who are facing a period of sustained work, such as students at exam time, and for those who are prone to overwork.
Athletes and Procrastinators: It can stimulate physical activity, and 'kick start' the energy necessary to get into action.

Physical: clarify eyes, gout, colds, rheumatic fever, feeling cold, and lowers blood pressure.

Keywords: Psychic Wisdom, Promotes intellectual, intuitive, and mystical wisdom, calmness, intuition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going for oak, use white oak as red oak is more prone to rot and checks badly. Another good 'light' wood is ash - has a nice tonal quality with lots of 'flecks', particularly when varnished.

Labradorite? never heard of it .. sounds like a Canadian thing ;) Qualities sound great! I'll check this out a bit further .. thanks for the wood tips!

DeDukshyn
22nd April 2012, 02:42
For the capstone you should consider a herkimer diamond.
I was looking at some of these today -- they were very impressive!

The aspect of putting stones related to the four elements at the cardinal points around the staff just below the capstone is desirable...
I had a similar idea - but parallel with the capstone and using four laser point quartz pointing in to a point above the capstone at 53'11". Both Herkimer and some Vogel cut quartz were appealing to me for the capstone - we must thinking along similar lines! Thanks to the advice on the four elements stones -- I'll check into this for sure! ;)

Their is a color and frequency for each. When you cut the wood out from the tree or the tree itself thank the tree for sacrificing itself for your intentions. Ash is best but any wood will do. IMHO
I usually try to go out into forests and look for already expired pieces, but yes - I already understand only my greatest appreciation will net me the greatest sacrifice! ;)

Thanks!

Mike Gorman
22nd April 2012, 03:33
You have to make the staff from "Lignum vitae" wood, this was the wood Merlin's staff was made of, it is very hard wood but has magical and powerful properties, it seems many of the wizard's staffs were made of this wood.
Personally I Would go for the 'minimalist' approach, perhaps one special crystal on the head, Rose Quartz is good, i am thinking the magic is all in the form and nature of the wood, so chose your piece of wood with great care and instinct, you will know it when you find it Perhaps you could carve a single Rune of power into the staff?..Fantastic project, please post a picture of the staff once you have fashioned it?

Whiskey_Mystic
22nd April 2012, 04:03
Before one can construct a thing, one must know what a thing is. What is a wizard's staff? What does it do? What is it's purpose? While we are on the subject, what is a wizard?

bodhii71
22nd April 2012, 04:07
I have a 5' segment of copper rod. Would it be possible to create a Orgone tip with a crystal and resin? Any ideas for something such as this? Thanks.

bluestflame
22nd April 2012, 04:30
lot of old ashtrays of bakerlite incorperated small bits of labradorite into the inside base for flashy decoration

DeDukshyn
22nd April 2012, 04:34
Before one can construct a thing, one must know what a thing is. What is a wizard's staff? What does it do? What is it's purpose? While we are on the subject, what is a wizard?

Very good questions ...

I guess for this exercise I'm the wizard ... ? But I'm not sure -- the creation of the staff seemed more relevant than the label. ;-)
I'm assuming, if it had any power, a wizard staff would be a manifestation amplifier? That make sense to me ;)

=[Post Update]=

I have a 5' segment of copper rod. Would it be possible to create a Orgone tip with a crystal and resin? Any ideas for something such as this? Thanks.

This topic seems interesting to me ... can you elaborate?

Whiskey_Mystic
22nd April 2012, 04:43
If you want to amplify manifestation, I suggest that you turn inward and focus on what it is within you that is between you and your goal rather than try to bypass yourself with technology.

Manifestation comes from harmony. Harmony comes from alignment.

Don't try to take shortcuts.

Just a suggestion.

DeDukshyn
22nd April 2012, 16:07
If you want to amplify manifestation, I suggest that you turn inward and focus on what it is within you that is between you and your goal rather than try to bypass yourself with technology.

Just a suggestion.

Perhaps you've missed my intent. This is a fun artistic project. When you asked what a wizard staff "does" -- I merely answered from the point of view of what I thought a real one would do if it were to exist. I have no intentions of building a manifestation machine -- HAARP already exists for that ;)

And my understanding and practice of advanced spiritual concepts such as conscious manifestation is sound, very sound; but thanks for the advice -- it was valid from it's perspective!

Mike Gorman
22nd April 2012, 16:22
A wizard is an archaic name for a wize'ard a wise man, the man who adopted the hermetic study of lore and herbal healing-among other subjects.
The staff is also an ancient symbol of learning, as in the Hypocrites staff, a weapon, an aid for walking-and in romantic fiction, a tool for concentrating
'power'. We can discuss definitions until the crack of doom, the guy put out he was embarking on a 'fun Crafty project', don't think he was asking
for a Pedantic lesson if defining the elements of the project-lets extend a little flexibility of mind and stop being patronising eh?

Whiskey_Mystic
23rd April 2012, 01:13

Just a suggestion.

Perhaps you've missed my intent. This is a fun artistic project. When you asked what a wizard staff "does" -- I merely answered from the point of view of what I thought a real one would do if it were to exist. I have no intentions of building a manifestation machine -- HAARP already exists for that ;)

And my understanding and practice of advanced spiritual concepts such as conscious manifestation is sound, very sound; but thanks for the advice -- it was valid from it's perspective!

If you are making a fun art project, I recommend avoiding crystals. That's like making a toy bomb but adding a nine volt battery and wires. I think feathers and turquoise might look nice. Leather wrappings can also be good and make it appealing to the touch as well. Maybe dangle some beads from it here and there. Good luck with your project.

UnrealDreams
23rd April 2012, 01:59

Very good questions ...

I guess for this exercise I'm the wizard ... ? But I'm not sure -- the creation of the staff seemed more relevant than the label. ;-)
I'm assuming, if it had any power, a wizard staff would be a manifestation amplifier? That make sense to me ;)

=[Post Update]=

This topic seems interesting to me ... can you elaborate?

I am new to the world of crystals, but I have been studying them a lot recently. Here are a few interesting stones which may be useful..
Cat's Eye Agate(also called orbital, or eye agate) is one to consider, because of it's ability to Amplify your own energy.
Malachite is also a powerful amplifying stone which absorbs negativity and needs to be cleaned after each use with clear quartz, never water.
Amber also absorbs negative energy.
Red Jasper may be useful. It is a protective stone used in defensive majic, as it sends negativity back to the original sender.
Sugilite is very intiguing. I'll paste the entire description here for you: Sugilite is a fairly recent discovery, named after the Japanese scientist Dr. K. Sugi who discovered it in 1944. The most significant find was in 1975 in the Kalahari Desert, in northern Africa.

A large deposit was found 3200 feet below the original discover, and it is believed that since the stone was found here, where mankind originated, that the stone was drawn from the depths of the earth by the force of the planets in order to protect humanity against damaging cosmic radiation. It is told to be the final warning to humanity of the end of the world.

Sugilite helps in understanding negative circumstance by showing one what is happening, and how it is out of balance. Excellent tool for mediation exercises to bring the mind and spirit back into attunement.

Sugilite assists in connecting the physical to the spiritual, it aids in understanding the spiritual reasons for the lessons we encounter, as well as bringing loving comfort from the Universe to accept the lessons for what they truly are. This gemstone will help us to follow our dreams and to become our higher selves. It enhances belief in ourselves, and negates feelings of lack, anger, pain, and other unwanted energies.

Sugilite is a balancer of the mind, body and spirit. It encourages peace of mind and a general feeling of spiritual love, and well being.

It is also told to protect against as well as dissipate anger and other negative energies whether from oneself or others.

Sugilite is said to strengthen the heart, aid in physical healing and reducing stress.

Sugilite is so full of energy that it never needs to be charged, but it must be discharged one a month amongst pieces of tumbled hematite stone.

Powers: Psychic powers, spirituality, healing, wisdom

Sugilite opens the mind and subconscious to higher influences. It is a very powerful channeling stone, and will aid in using one's psychic powers.

The vibrational energies of sugilite are best utilized by wearing small stones in jewelry. this give a constant flow of the stones magical qualities directly into the aura. However if you are not greatly interested in spiritual goals, you may wish to bypass this stone all together, as it is quite powerful.

Sugilite balances and heals all the chakras and the bodily areas associated with them, which in turn, allows for the free movement of kundalini energy please use with caution.

Good luck with the Wizard's staff!!

As I said, I am a beginner with no experience with these stones, so I can't give you a personal opinion.

DeDukshyn
23rd April 2012, 02:12

Just a suggestion.

If you are making a fun art project, I recommend avoiding crystals. That's like making a toy bomb but adding a nine volt battery and wires. I think feathers and turquoise might look nice. Leather wrappings can also be good and make it appealing to the touch as well. Maybe dangle some beads from it here and there. Good luck with your project.

Lay off the whiskey and stay off my thread, Thanks!

Whiskey_Mystic
23rd April 2012, 05:45
Lay off the whiskey and stay off my thread, Thanks!

Wow.

Your rudeness and disrespect are astonishing.

Rantaak
23rd April 2012, 08:43
I have a wooden broom handle that I carved and darkened some runes into.

Who puts a crystal on the end of a staff? Makes it hard to fight with.

Anyone can wield a staff. Some people even know how to handle one. My question for you is, are you a wizard?
If you are, then any staff you hold is a wizard's staff. If not, then it is some other wizard's staff.

Kindred
23rd April 2012, 11:56
DeDukshyn... It's a shame others are so quick to throw a negative spin on a light-hearted and simple inquiry.

I hope you have hours of enjoyment in crafting your project, and a satisfaction of creating something of beauty.

Most Importantly, Have Fun!

In Unity and Peace

Marianne
23rd April 2012, 16:08
Closing thread, as requested by OP.

Marianne
3rd April 2013, 01:47
Re-opening thread at request of OP.

DeDukshyn
3rd April 2013, 01:50
Thanks Marianne, and my apologies to those I was bickering with previously in the thread. I have completed the design, which incorporates an orgone generator, and have started to acquire some of the materials. I will put up some renderings / sketches and explain the purpose of the design in some later posts. The final design has turned out quite interesting for me and I will be pleased to share it, and the reasons why I designed it the way I did. It is rather complex -- and I will never make another one like this again, but rather take a simpler route.

Anchor
3rd April 2013, 08:50
Yes please - pics! Designs! Upload them somewhere and link here ;)

soleil
3rd April 2013, 16:54
i cant wait to see your staff!! ive been contemplating and planning to keep an eye out for long branches in my area that have fallen from the trees, to do this as well. i suppose this is a nice syncro on that. :)
id also like to hear about how it has aided you if at all noticeably yet?

DeDukshyn
4th April 2013, 02:10
i cant wait to see your staff!! ive been contemplating and planning to keep an eye out for long branches in my area that have fallen from the trees, to do this as well. i suppose this is a nice syncro on that. :)
id also like to hear about how it has aided you if at all noticeably yet?

Well it's not built yet ... just "designed" ;-) -- play on words I guess ... heheh

Everything is rather in slow motion for me, so it may be a little bit of time before it is 100% completed - plus I do expect to incur some financial costs which over a bit of time might be better for me.

So, I will start with merely a piece I wrote based on some research, gut feeling, some thoughts, etc; about a wizard's staff. It is older stuff so the design I'll post soon might not align with this text 100%.

Here is my initial thoughts on a wizard staff, in preparation for the creation of one. Let it be known I don't necessarily believe all this completely (although some), but am humoring it all--just sort of going with it.. ;)

Note: the design I went with differs slightly, pics to come soon.

The Staff: Back story

It seems almost all wizards of lore have a staff of some sort. I would imagine that a wizard would have to do a fair bit of traveling compared to your standard folk. Travelling far and wide to get only the best herbs, stones, potions and spells; and as wizards are not very common, they would have likely had to travel distances to be with other wizards and like minded folk.

With all that travel, surely a walking stick would be desirable. And with wizards being the type to keep things simple and efficient as possible, why not affix your special magic gems and stones to it so you don't have to carry them in a bag or risk losing them?

Modern folklore always depicts wizard staffs as being powerful and magical. Even look at Star Wars lore -- a Jedi Master is basically a futuristic space wizard. A Jedi's light sabre is his magical staff. The lore says that building their own light sabre is part of every Jedi's journey to knighthood. Much in the same way a wizard's apprentice would build his very own staff and affix it with carefully chosen crystals to reflect the intention of the user, a Jedi must travel to a crystal planet and carefully choose the right crystal that will link up with and amplify his mind's intentions and channel 'Force' power into his sabre. While a Jedi Knight could surely wield any light sabre, only the one he/she built himself will be able to fully amplify his/her intentions to manipulate 'The Force' to his or her fullest ability.

I like to think that the wizard's staff was born out of the necessities of long distance travel, but became utilized as a multi tool for a similar function as a Jedi's light sabre -- to amplify intention, provide protection, and be a device that can be used to manipulate 'The Force' (Chi? Prana? Orgone? ... same shxx, just different piles ;-)

So these elements are what I seek to emphasize while making my Wizard Staff; It will need to be a useful and strong walking / hiking aid, be designed to amplify intention / manipulate orgone, and strong enough to be used for basic physical protection if needed.

The Staff: Design

The basic design that I wanted to create is a bit complex and will require a fair bit of work over time. While I am more than happy creating something very simple -- and I likely will create some with "simple" in mind, the design that magically came to me is demanding to be built. I have modified it a little since then, but basically it will be the original design.

For the wood, I wanted a good hard, strong wood, like maybe oak or ash. Any type of Oak is quite popular for staff building, and so is ash. Willow is also said to be somewhat 'magical' but I don't think it will have the strength I am looking for, with a staff of this size. I heard recently that the most 'magical' wood of them all is holly wood, and a symbol of the power of the magic of holly wood is used to represent the power of media entertainment over the masses via "Hollywood". It sounds less strange when you realize that this world is "designed" entirely around ancient occult symbolism - basically a form of Satanism that is honoured and respected to this very day by very top ruling elite and their real life sorcerers. But I digress, that is another story ;-) Lightning struck wood is supposed to be the very best due to it being energized by the lightning bolt, but I am willing to use almost anything, as long as it "feels" right for the project -- that will be the final decision maker -- how it feels in my hand, and the suitability for the design.

The crystals will be chosen by both their known physical and metaphysical properties, as well as the way they feel to me. I will use some simple sensitive techniques to determine the overall capacity of the crystal, its immediate range of influence, and it's nature to either absorb or project energy within its range of influence. I won't go into details right now about how this process works, but it is common and guides can easily be found on the 'net for anyone interested.

I had in mind to bore into the top of the staff and create a small chamber to fill with some quartz crystals for amplification. After studying various successful designs of what are termed orgone generators, I realized I could easily turn that chamber I had in mind into an orgone generator. For those who don't know "orgone" is the term coined by Wilhelm Reich for a 'new' form of invisible energy he was learning to manipulate via types of 'technology'. It is fairly well accepted that what he was studying was already known as "chi" or "prana" or "life force" -- which would be the equivalent of "the Force" in Star Wars lore.

Pyramid geometry will be used in the placement of specific crystals around the head of the staff, with four natural crystal points offset to the outside of the head of the staff (via a brace), but pointing in toward each other at ~52 degrees angle, creating a 'pyramid of energy' extending from the tips of the four offset crystals. A Herkimer diamond (high energy quartz) will be used as the top stone, as they are excellent amplifiers for other crystals and their properties.

The 'walking' end of the staff will be wrapped in metal to deal with wear. As the metal wears it can simply be replaced, preserving the wood. The metal end will also seek to 'ground' the staff to earth and help ground out any unwanted or chaotic energy. To help facilitate this process a smoky quartz crystal, which is known for its powerful grounding properties, will be inserted into the end of the bottom of the staff before the metal covering goes over it. This will help draw energy that needs grounding through the wood and into the metal.

<diagrams needed>