PDA

View Full Version : 'Skipping Across the Globe' Game

TelosianEmbrace
25th April 2012, 10:03
OK, time for a bit of fun. I propose a game to highlight how interconnected we are. I'll give some guidelines, but if the thread isn't moving or any of you see a way to make it better, then feel free to tweak the rules.

*You post, stating time and location.
*You can only be the next to post if you come from a country that shares a border with the previous poster.
*In the USA and Australia, this will be broken down into states, so you can only post if you live in a state next to the previous poster. In England, it will be broken down into counties.
*You can post across oceans if there is a linear relation, for example a person from Florida can post after a person from Spain.
*For every day that no-one posts, from the exact time of posting, another degree of separation comes into play. For example, if you live in Victoria, Australia then after twenty four hours of no response, you can post after a West Australian.
*You can only post once in a twenty four hour period.
*You 'win' or exit the game successfully, if you can make a fourth post. You can play on to assist others, if you wish.
*A global win which we can all aim for is the traversing/mentioning of every country, including every state in the USA and Australia, and every county in England.

I'll start.
Victoria, Australia, 8.02 PM. I'm now going directly to bed and will tune in tomorrow. :sleep:

bennycog
25th April 2012, 10:11
nsw mr bennycog 8.10 pm.. not going to bed yet :)

TelosianEmbrace
25th April 2012, 16:45
OK, Bennycog. A few of the places with line of sight from NSW would be New Zealand, western South America, most of the South Pacific and California...

mosquito
26th April 2012, 01:41
This is a great, fun idea TE, but maybe it would move faster if the state/county rule didn't apply across national boundaries. So for example, NSW has the lines of sight you mentioned, but Australia also has lines of sight with Argentina, Indonesia etc. etc. If the rules stay as they are, we could easily get into a situation where the thread is ping-ponging (new verb !!!!!) around the USA, but if the last poster is from Kansas (which could happen because no one from the more Westerly states can be bothered to post), then we're snookered. Bear in mind that there should be a natural East to West drift. ;)

TelosianEmbrace
26th April 2012, 02:49
When first I posted, mariposafe, I did have the feeling that it should go in one direction, so how about this- you can post if you are connected to the East, North or South but you don't get any points. You only get a point for a post if you lie in a westerly direction from the previous poster.

As for your primary suggestion, I thought the idea of being able to post one state/county removed after every uneventful 24 hours passed would solve that. However, that rule wouldn't allow for fast game play. So.. let's adopt the rule that a poster who's state/county is in line of sight of the previous poster's country (Wherever he is within that country) can be the next poster. This would mean that, for example, a poster from NSW, Australia could follow any post from the USA. Another example- a poster from France could follow a poster from Shropshire, England.

Last location, NSW.