PDA

View Full Version : You-CAN Make a Difference!

CeltMan
3rd May 2012, 18:08
You-Can Make a Difference!

Especially in these turbulent times in which we live, there is a lot of talk about how we can be effective in influencing matters of politics etc.

Reading a lot of posts etc, there is the feeling that we as individuals can do little to affect change.
This is a message of hope, a true anecdote, which gave me hope, inspiration, and can hopefully inspire others to emulate what I did,..to actually make a difference.

Back in early 90’s here in UK, we were suffering a recession.
At the time John Major was the Prime Minister.
I was in the process of applying for jobs, requiring me to stay focussed, and very positive.
I always try to watch the news on a daily basis.

I was struck by the negativity I witnessed, and the constant talk of ‘doom & gloom’
(De-ja-vu anyone?!)

My background was in both sales, and as ‘a problem solver in manufacturing’.

After watching the news one day, and seeing John Major being harassed by the opposition in the House of Commons, I realised I was feeling a bit depressed.

I decided to approach the situation as if it were a ‘Problem Solving Project’
I sat down with a pen & paper, and started to make some notes.
These were the points that I made:

1) There is much talk about “The 10% unemployed.”

2) There is NO talk about ‘The 90% who are STILL Employed’!

3) Having been very successful in a recent sales career (top salesman two years out of 5), it is an accepted fact, that EVERY product has both good & bad points. The bad points should be addressed, (not ignored) BUT….then the numerous Good points should be Emphasised.

4) F.E.A.R. is an acronym, meaning: “False Expectations Appearing Real”.. this means that if we dwell upon an idea that is negative, it will take on a power in our minds and can even manifest as a reality.
e.g. When there is constant talk of “10% unemployment” people will start to hold back from spending, out of fear that they will be paid off, lose their jobs, and need those savings.
In effect that will become a reality, as shops close, because they have little custom, and cannot afford to pay their overheads. Shoe shops; clothes shops; travel agencies; furniture shops, etc, etc.

Hence it will become a ‘self fulfilling prophecy’!

5) Whereas it is appreciated that a recession is often started by a habit of ‘overspending’, when the reverse happens, then the recession will only be perpetuated.
So,- a Balance is required.

I took my time in composing this as a letter, ‘slept on it’, and then sent the edited version to my M.P.(Member of Parliament)

To be candid, I really did not expect to get any response, but it made me feel better to have expressed myself in writing to an official of HM Government.

In fact my M.P. did contact me, and said he was impressed with the manner in which I had expressed myself, and the content of my letter.

What I was not expecting, was that about ten days after sending my letter, whilst watching the 1pm BBC news, and ‘question time in the House’, John Major then stated……..Almost word for word,…MY LETTER!!

To say that I was gobsmacked was an understatement!
But, despite the use of my own phrases, etc, I was still not convinced that it was my letter he was ‘paraphrasing’

About six months later, I was working with a gentleman, who worked a lot with politicians and government in a consultancy capacity.
I mentioned the incident of my letter, and how J.M. had seemed to read it out.

This man then asked me: “Tell me, how many letters do you think it takes before the P.M. will take notice?
I hazarded a guess, - at approx. 200?

*** His reply astounded me: “It is THREE,…Well Worded letters”

Followed by: “So you see, it WAS Your letter the P.M. was paraphrasing in The House of Commons”

Now that incident gave me hope, that the individual, in a democracy, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I trust and hope that at least some here will read this and be encouraged to emulate my actions.

P.S. It is also worth noting, that there is an ‘official complaints procedure’ in place in most establishments.

One is not usually made aware of this, -for obvious reasons. So my point being, that if you are getting the B*ms Rush by an organisation, enquire about ‘their official complaints procedures’

transiten
3rd May 2012, 19:36
Inspirational CeltMan!

A taxidriver in Sweden told me that in Canada the government has decided that 50% of the news have to be positive and that pple are not as anxious to lock their doors...Is this true anyone?

CeltMan
3rd May 2012, 21:29
Inspirational CeltMan!

A taxidriver in Sweden told me that in Canada the government has decided that 50% of the news have to be positive and that pple are not as anxious to lock their doors...Is this true anyone?

hi Transiten,

I cannot speak for Canada, or much for other countries than here in UK.

I know for a fact that the MSM is heavily monitored and censored.

BUT, regarding 'making a change/stand'-IMO, the majority of people do not even know their rights in law.

Most live in such a stressful environment, that they cannot or do not wish to 'rock the boat', by researching any or much info.

What I am also suggesting, is that people could first acsertain the Facts, list them, and then,...after checking the relative law//their rights, present their case in a calm logical manner.

One thing I learned a long time ago, when dealing with courts of law, is that they appreciate cold hard facts.

I was good at presenting my case, if it was a business matter,(and won 100%)- but I admit I did get a bit emotional when I was fighting for joint custody of my children.

That emotion was not well received by the magistrates, and it perhaps took a while longer to achieve my goal.

the reason that I put that addendum at the end of my main post, was that I had an experience today, an ongoing debarcle with the local council over loose drain covers in the road.
I have been putting up with the horrendous noise for 9 weeks now.(this is when vehicles drive over the loose covers)

Despite phoning several times, and a botched repair yesterday, this continues .

It was only when I uttered those magic words: "I wish to escalate this matter", that the lady, who was trying to be helpful, and agreed it was totally unreasonable, then said "Do you want to raise this as an official complaint?"

This then made me recall, that indeed there are 'official complaint procedures' in place at most established organisations.

I am sure that the same can be applied to most other countries in the world, although I appreciate that procedures can and will differ.

Prob is, most people just want 'an easy life', so prefer to do nothing affirmative about any unaceptable situation.

ThePythonicCow
4th May 2012, 06:08
F.E.A.R. is an acronym, meaning: “False Expectations Appearing Real”.. this means that if we dwell upon an idea that is negative ...
False ... or ... Negative?

They are not the same.

(The notion that "negative" thoughts, which seems sometimes to mean "any thought disagreeing with my hope", should be avoided is becoming another form of Political Correctness. Bah Humbug.)

CeltMan
4th May 2012, 13:49
F.E.A.R. is an acronym, meaning: “False Expectations Appearing Real”.. this means that if we dwell upon an idea that is negative ...
False ... or ... Negative?

They are not the same.
(The notion that "negative" thoughts, which seems sometimes to mean "any thought disagreeing with my hope", should be avoided is becoming another form of Political Correctness. Bah Humbug.)

===========================
The FULL Quote, in its context, I STAND BY.

{{F.E.A.R. is an acronym, meaning: “False Expectations Appearing Real”.. this means that if we dwell upon an idea that is negative, it will take on a power in our minds and can even manifest as a reality.

e.g. When there is constant talk of “10% unemployment” people will start to hold back from spending, out of fear that they will be paid off, lose their jobs, and need those savings.

In effect that will become a reality, as shops close, because they have little custom, and cannot afford to pay their overheads. Shoe shops; clothes shops; travel agencies; furniture shops, etc, etc.

Hence it will become a ‘self fulfilling prophecy’! }}

Taking words out of context, and projecting a 'false' meaning to them, gives a 'negative' slant to my thread. Which frankly, considering, Paul, you are a mod, you should know better.

What strange games you play eh?!