PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Computer Geeks from a Computer Illiterate

wynderer
8th May 2012, 08:39
Hi All --

last night when i was turning off my computer, after i clicked on 'Turn off', a little box appeared on the screen reading -- i copied it verbatim --

' Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data.

Do you want to continue shutting down? '

& the little boxes below , w/ 'Yes'/ 'No'

my question : is this a usual thing w/home computers these days?

hope someone answers

wyn

Star Tsar
8th May 2012, 08:54
Sounds like another user was/is using a shared resource on your computer...
Do you connect via vpn to work or something?

wynderer
8th May 2012, 09:07
no -- just got this computer a month or so ago after using library computers for a couple of years -- & use it just for emails, Avalon, & checking my usual sites

Star Tsar
8th May 2012, 09:13
Ensure you have a antivirus & software firewall installed...

Trail
8th May 2012, 09:14
You seem to have shared resources on your machine, like a (part of a) harddisk.

If someone else is logged into a resource on your computer it will display that message.

If someone else is using remote desktop to your computer it will also display that message.

If you are absolutely certain you are the only one in the household that uses that machine, and only locally (straight on the PC and not via another PC) then you can opt to turn off all sharing functionality. You could stop sharing your drive(s) and stop allowing remote desktop connections.

Stop sharing drives:
Left click 'My Computer' and look at your discs, if a disc is shared it will display a sharing icon for the disc. Wich looks like a small hand pasted over the normal icon.

Stop allowing remote desktop connections:
Right click 'My computer', select properties, remote connections, and deselect to allow remote connections.

Good luck,
~Trail.

wynderer
8th May 2012, 09:27
thanks for answers, K.W.B. & Trail -- i do have antivirus stuff --

my next question is : who is doing this? i try not to be a selfish person, but i don't recall inviting anyone else to share my computer

i'll do that stuff you recommend, Trail -- thanks for the clarity -- but i do so under protest, as i get annoyed when i have to use my brain/mind to follow a pre-programmed course

wyn

sdv
8th May 2012, 09:41
If yoou use wireless to connect to the Intenet someone could be using your connection. Go to your network settings and change to Public Connection (the best protection offered by Windows).

Bryn ap Gwilym
8th May 2012, 09:54
thanks for answers, K.W.B. & Trail -- i do have antivirus stuff --

my next question is : who is doing this? i try not to be a selfish person, but i don't recall inviting anyone else to share my computer

i'll do that stuff you recommend, Trail -- thanks for the clarity -- but i do so under protest, as i get annoyed when i have to use my brain/mind to follow a pre-programmed course

wyn

Hi.

If you are using either a Windows or Apple operating system then in essence you have invited these corporations & their buddies to have a good look around. The thing is about Proprietary software is, folk don't own the software or the hardware that it is running on.

Maybe one of the coders on PA can have a look at your log files or even monitor the rig remotely.

Trail
8th May 2012, 10:15
If yoou use wireless to connect to the Intenet someone could be using your connection. Go to your network settings and change to Public Connection (the best protection offered by Windows).

This turns off sharing and even enables certain windows firewall settings accordingly. Usefull if you know ur the only computer on the network and do not use things like a mediaplayer.

wyn

I doubth someone is actually logged into your computer unless you are using an unprotected or WEP enable wifi router. All WPA and WPA2 passwords are really bothersome to crack, so unless you are someone very special, no average scriptkiddy is even going to attempt to crack your WPA(2) network.

A program running on your own computer can also be the cause of this and is often the most likely culprit.
To check who's logged on to your computer you can open taskmanager and select the users tab to see a list of users. There's even a resource monitor tool that can be selected from the 'performance' tab wich could show you wich resources are used and by whom (accountname).

LMAO @ the preprogrammed course :)

wynderer
8th May 2012, 10:33
Hi Trail -- not to say i think i'm special, other than being an abductee -- as i often say, looking back on my life i see how often i have been a complete dumbass -- but below is a copy of part of my post on Nexus last year re other annoying computer stuff:

'it may be more along the lines of something that happened when i was posting on voxnyc -- now archived as

http://www.voxfux.com/

[haven't checked it for a long while -- this is the site raided & shut down by 40 FBI, CIA, & Special forces Agents shortly after Shock & Awe -- threats were made against vox' mother to keep it down -- i was surprised to see a newer article -- tongue-in-cheek one re Pres Obama]

anyway, i found vox' site about 3 days after getting online [coaxed there by friends , 'dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century' as one friend said ] -- & where i got my political education

i posted quite a bit -- one time when i tried to post i got a message saying i was banned from posting -- i emailed vox, who checked it out for me [or maybe one of his computer guys did ] -- he emailed me that my IP [i hope that's the right term -- i'm not computer savvy] came up as a gov.mil.intel one

i've had a few other things like this happen in the 10 yrs or so i've used a computer'

Bo Atkinson
8th May 2012, 10:45
I accept and admire tech expertise, except for one thing... Computer formatting-stuff generally bores me, so simpler methods are more attractive to me. Sometimes it seems worthwhile to keep the machine unplugged from power, if it overheats (as when i'm not processing CAD work). I always cut the antenna wire inside, use older monitors, cut off the DSL-clip, so it slips in and out easily. Plug ethernet into computer only when downloading or uploading... Ya, play old fashioned, heh.

I have noticed my computer too busy when i'm just reading texts or thinking-off screen. I'm inclined to accept the general scenario of ET-ED involvement in everything, not that this has to be important. I have enough trouble with my 2d-3d design software. These demand occasional re-installing, upgrading, etc... My 3d software has been beta for the longest time, it could be innocent problems. But the big corporations are not friendly in my experience, like sdv infers.

Trail
8th May 2012, 10:56
he emailed me that my IP [i hope that's the right term -- i'm not computer savvy] came up as a gov.mil.intel one

i've had a few other things like this happen in the 10 yrs or so i've used a computer'

Okay thats some serious wickedness right there. I'd freak out if my IP would suddenly resolve back into something like that.

On the other hand it doesn't mean 'they' are in your computer. If 'they' are three letter intelligence agencies then they could reconstitute the contents of your computer without going through the trouble of logging into your computer.

They can:
* tap your electrical system and know whatever keystrokes your keyboard is making that way.
* reconstitue all your internet traffic wich IS already copied anyway. (and use AI on all your data to keep track of what your up to.)
* black projects have hardware technology to see whats presently displayed on your monitor, remotely. (without the need to install software on your pc).
* black projects can even copy all contents from your harddrives remotely while its not even plugged in or turned on.
* and i'm sure there are backdoors into windows just for the lower ranking agencies that wouldn't give you a notice about someone being logged in. lmao.

So i wouldn't worry too much about 'them'. As they already know everything. :)

Just my 2cts,
~Trail.

wynderer
8th May 2012, 11:02
my thoughts exactly -- not worry about it -- as i like to say, a woman's gotta know her limitations & pick her battles -- & having survived a black helicopter's attempt to kill me puts things into perspective [smile]

he emailed me that my IP [i hope that's the right term -- i'm not computer savvy] came up as a gov.mil.intel one

Okay thats some serious wickedness right there. I'd freak out if my IP would suddenly resolve back into something like that.

On the other hand it doesn't mean 'they' are in your computer. If 'they' are three letter intelligence agencies then they could reconstitute the contents of your computer without going through the trouble of logging into your computer.

They can:
* tap your electrical system and know whatever keystrokes your keyboard is making that way.
* reconstitue all your internet traffic wich IS already copied anyway. (and use AI on all your data to keep track of what your up to.)
* black projects have hardware technology to see whats presently displayed on your monitor, remotely. (without the need to install software on your pc).
* black projects can even copy all contents from your harddrives remotely while its not even plugged in or turned on.
* and i'm sure there are backdoors into windows just for the lower ranking agencies that wouldn't give you a notice about someone being logged in. lmao.

Just my 2cts,
~Trail.

Trail
8th May 2012, 11:08
having survived a black helicopter's attempt to kill me puts things into perspective [smile]

Alright, i'll bite....:

WHUTT??

That sounds very interesting.. i smell a good story here.. can you elaborate ?

~Trail.

wynderer
8th May 2012, 13:08
OK -- i'll tell it -- it was very weird

i was at the Ithaca [NY] Farmer's Market [on the shore of Cayuga Lake] w/a friend -- [she was also aware of UFOs/'ETs' but this is not about that] --- there's a little dock there where some boats were moored -- she knew 2 guys on a nice-sized sailboat, & they offered to take us for a sail to a swimming spot up the Lake

it was a hot sunny day, i love the water , so off we went -- weird trip to the swimming place, as no one talked to each other -- the guy who owned the boat was one of those tall blue-eyed blond dudes -- 'Nordic' types -- who are always showing up in my life & frequently talk about the Knights Templar [more weirdness]

so we get to the swimming spot -- we all jumped in -- i was paddling happily around in the nice deep cool water when way on the other side of the Lake, i saw a black helicopter appear -- one of those sleek thin ones, like the ones seen at the mutilation sites, from descriptions

at the same instant that i saw it, a BIG whirlpool came up from below direcly under me & began sucking me down -- i used all my strength to break free -- it was touch & go there for a bit -- & was resting in the water, gasping & panting, when ANOTHER one burbled up right under me, etc -- this time i was closer to my friend -- a strong woman/swimmer & used my waning energy to call HELP to her -- she was there ina jiff, i put my hands on her back, & she towed me to the boat

again, weird silence on way back

pls note that people went to this spot to swim precisely because it was a calm water area

Richard S.
8th May 2012, 13:38
Did you have another session open under another user?

GoodETxSG
8th May 2012, 13:40
having survived a black helicopter's attempt to kill me puts things into perspective [smile]

Alright, i'll bite....:

WHUTT??

That sounds very interesting.. i smell a good story here.. can you elaborate ?

~Trail.

Oh geese, here we go...

Ī=[Post Update]=Ī

They can:

Just my 2cts,
~Trail.

Yea, most of the countermeasures such as unsharing resources, disabling remote access in properties and the registry can all be circumvented with current hacking tech...

I have a HoneyPot computer set up outside of my firewall and on the otherside of a physical and another PC w/sw network scanner and sw firewall, then down the chain a Linux computer running VMware Workstation which I have a locked down (By Policy) VM Windows session that I do most of my work from. It is encrypted, as is the Linux system and all of the HD's. I setup some phony counter measures on the HoneyPot PC to give hackers something play with, then my software sends me an alert of any other connections to that PC or the network via which port and the IP of the intruder (Which is most likely spoofed)...

The old disabling sharing and remote connectivity measures just slow down a hacker and make them crack their knuckles and smile. Basically, if someone has the resources and determination... they are going to get in. Usually you let them in by visiting a web site they know you frequent or an email you open... do not have to open an attachment, just the email. Even via IM.

So, it is going to take quite a bit for anyone to make their PC too much of a pain to hack, so the hacker will move on. If you are a "Person of Interest" they WILL get in... if you lock down all of the doors and the OS... they can get into your home when you are gone and implant physical or software tech that is not detectable... Clone your HD etc...

Keep your important info on an encrypted external HD or Thumb Drive and keep it ON YOU, if you keep it hidden in a "Slick" they will find it and clone it too. Keep everyday normal info on the PC and some stuff that they think looks good to look into... the important data is always on your person encrypted... but keep a backup... encrypted somewhere burried or hidden away from anything you or your friends/family own.

You all are most likely people of interest just from visiting these sites even if you do not post. You are already in a database and catagorized. Anyway, do what you can, I like to leave little notes in important sounding files to them with smart remarks... I can tell when the file has been accessed and they have gotten the message... I love setting trip wires like that... it becomes a fun game until they get pissed off and remote format your HD and damage it to where you have to buy another one... Always keep surge protectors and connected to a UPS. They like to spike you computer too when they get mad and jack up your PC. There is no limit to their dirty tricks... By the way, Say HELLO to the People monitoring this site... :wave:

Ernie Nemeth
8th May 2012, 13:50
That is some weird stuff Wynderer.

I know my computer is being monitored. It whirrs obscenely and sometimes seems like its about to take off. I also always unplugg my ethernet connection when computer not in use. But like Trail says, they can get whatever info they want since we use windows, a corporation of not such a high standard.

To check sometimes I unplug ethernet just before shutting down and my computer freaks out. It takes it many minutes to close two programs that should not have been running in the first place. Also, every time we upload an upgrade to windows or adobe or other such program, they can do all sorts of nasty stuff and no one is the wiser, right?

So, for me anyways, it's now a non-issue. I just laugh at their antics, and try to mess with them just on a lark. Not that I can actually do anything effective to stop it.

Who cares, their time is numbered, soon they will be the ones exposed.

RMorgan
8th May 2012, 13:50
Hey,

Did it happened only once? What Windows are you currently using?

This might be a lot of things or itīs just Windows and one of its several bugs.

Before windows 7, other Windows used to deteriorate with time, requiring a regular format of your hard drive and re-installation of Windows.

If youīre using XP, ask someone to format your HD and buy Windows 7.

If youīre using Windows 7 and this problem persists, maybe itīs time for a good old format and re-install as well.

Cheers,

Raf.

wynderer
8th May 2012, 15:38
i just finished watching the AMMACH interview w/Marie Kayali, being blown away by all the similarities in our lives, including her almost drowning in a whirlpool in the ocean

& PS -- thanks for all the fix-it tips, but honestly, guys , i won't use them -- as i posted on another thread, all my computer problems always fix themselves in a day or two , or someone out there does it for me

OK -- i'll tell it -- it was very weird

i was at the Ithaca [NY] Farmer's Market [on the shore of Cayuga Lake] w/a friend -- [she was also aware of UFOs/'ETs' but this is not about that] --- there's a little dock there where some boats were moored -- she knew 2 guys on a nice-sized sailboat, & they offered to take us for a sail to a swimming spot up the Lake

it was a hot sunny day, i love the water , so off we went -- weird trip to the swimming place, as no one talked to each other -- the guy who owned the boat was one of those tall blue-eyed blond dudes -- 'Nordic' types -- who are always showing up in my life & frequently talk about the Knights Templar [more weirdness]

so we get to the swimming spot -- we all jumped in -- i was paddling happily around in the nice deep cool water when way on the other side of the Lake, i saw a black helicopter appear -- one of those sleek thin ones, like the ones seen at the mutilation sites, from descriptions

at the same instant that i saw it, a BIG whirlpool came up from below direcly under me & began sucking me down -- i used all my strength to break free -- it was touch & go there for a bit -- & was resting in the water, gasping & panting, when ANOTHER one burbled up right under me, etc -- this time i was closer to my friend -- a strong woman/swimmer & used my waning energy to call HELP to her -- she was there ina jiff, i put my hands on her back, & she towed me to the boat

again, weird silence on way back

pls note that people went to this spot to swim precisely because it was a calm water area

Rantaak
8th May 2012, 21:28
Nothing abnormal is happening - this is just a Windows bug.

Trust me, I've been working with computers for a while. You aren't being watched. They would much sooner tap your phone line.

the_vast_mystery
8th May 2012, 21:37
Nothing abnormal is happening - this is just a Windows bug.

Trust me, I've been working with computers for a while. You aren't being watched. They would much sooner tap your phone line.

This, so much this.
Now for the why part: Applications and services may run themselves under different credentials on your machine for any number of reasons. As such even though no external user is actually connected to your machine you can still get a message just like this because those other programs of yours are running themselves under a different account than your current one. This is normal and done typically for applications that might require some level of administrator privileges. All in all, nothing to be alarmed at.

WhiteFeather
8th May 2012, 21:58
Heres what i think is the problem. It seems that your hard drive or flash drive may be defective. I was in the computer repair business for a few years. And when we received error messages we googled these error messages. Heres some links which i googled. See what resonates with you. I dont believe its a virus. My intuition is telling me hard drive or flash drive issues. Go into google and search this phrase.....(copied it verbatim error message) exclude the parenthesis.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266677-32-error-verbatim-flash-disk

http://www.ehow.com/how_7309167_verbatim-won_t-copy-files.html

http://www.fixya.com/search/p444675-verbatim_store_n_go_95312_8_gb_hard/8gb

wynderer
8th May 2012, 22:37
i kind of trust vox -- he is one of our USA bluebloods, a hand-picked protege of Brzezinski who chose not to follow the path laid out for him -- being groomed for US Senator -- if he said my IP was a gov.mil.intel one at that time, i believe him -- there were some very smart folks posting on his site, & i'm sure he had top-notch computer guys

also i'm still not clear if this is a common occurrence -- do you all get the little box that says 'Other people are logged on to this computer' when you are shutting down? first time it ever happened to me

but it really doesn't matter -- i know that an eye is kept on me -- a lot of abductees live w/this

GoodETxSG
8th May 2012, 22:39
ummmm so why did they even start this thread?

I guess it is to be expected from previous posts, Ask a computer question for any Computer Geeks in the Forums and several people take the time out of their lives to give well thought out answers and some great info...

Then the OP posts that they are not going to take any of the advice and then start an off topic discussion about whirl pools and black choppers... :lie:

Then I being one of the posters that wasted my time I post that I am confused why there was a post in the first place... and then I am the bad guy... follow their posts in their profile and you may block them as I have.

I become their personal thread stalker in their mind when they started the ugliness in other posts that caused me to block them in the first place.

Get away weird...

:crazy:

wynderer
8th May 2012, 22:40
give it a rest Corey, OK? i feel like i've got a faithful hounddog baying after my posts

ummmm so why did they even start this thread?

wynderer
8th May 2012, 22:59
shamelessly bumping own post in hopes of further elucidation

i kind of trust vox -- he is one of our USA bluebloods, a hand-picked protege of Brzezinski who chose not to follow the path laid out for him -- being groomed for US Senator -- if he said my IP was a gov.mil.intel one at that time, i believe him -- there were some very smart folks posting on his site, & i'm sure he had top-notch computer guys

also i'm still not clear if this is a common occurrence -- do you all get the little box that says 'Other people are logged on to this computer' when you are shutting down? first time it ever happened to me

but it really doesn't matter -- i know that an eye is kept on me -- a lot of abductees live w/this

WhiteFeather
8th May 2012, 23:07
Again i feel its your hard drive or flash drive. Nothing more nothing less.

Bongo
8th May 2012, 23:12
Now for the why part: Applications and services may run themselves under different credentials on your machine for any number of reasons. As such even though no external user is actually connected to your machine you can still get a message just like this because those other programs of yours are running themselves under a different account than your current one. This is normal and done typically for applications that might require some level of administrator privileges. All in all, nothing to be alarmed at.

Thats your explanation there, that is the problem 100%. I have encountered this hundreds of times before, it is a very common occurrence.

you will no doubt be logged on as a user & not the administrator this is why this problem happens from time to time

P.S. this has nothing to do with internet access at all even if you didn't have internet access you would still get this problem

wynderer
8th May 2012, 23:13
i don't know what a hard or flash drive is [pls don't tell me] -- but i have had this computer only about a month, & it was all cleaned up by computer geek volunteers in Ithaca, one of our smart-people towns -- really smart computer geeks

& that still does not explain how my personal computer address was a gov.mil.intel one -- unless this also happens to a lot of you

i really don't like having to use a computer, but it's about the only way to talk w/others who are not sheeple

GoodETxSG
8th May 2012, 23:32

Yea, could be... as far as tracking someones IP, MAC or domain name it is a waste of time as anyone can download software to spoof their MAC/IP or ISP, Domain etc... I coudl download it and send an email or connect to a PC and make someone think it is the CIA, MIL NASA... or the Lithium Users Love Connection... you cannot trust anything that you pull up unless you have a full lab setup to track a user through all of the personal computers they have hacked and bounced their data over... could show it came from the ISS, Russia, your ex girlfriend or the Pentegon... I am gonna jump on another thread... have fun peeps.

the_vast_mystery
9th May 2012, 18:02
i don't know what a hard or flash drive is [pls don't tell me] -- but i have had this computer only about a month, & it was all cleaned up by computer geek volunteers in Ithaca, one of our smart-people towns -- really smart computer geeks

& that still does not explain how my personal computer address was a gov.mil.intel one -- unless this also happens to a lot of you

i really don't like having to use a computer, but it's about the only way to talk w/others who are not sheeple

shamelessly bumping own post in hopes of further elucidation

First of all it's good to understand what a user account means on a computer. Especially on newer versions of windows you'll need different levels of permissions to access different services and features on a windows PC. Windows wants all applications to run in as close to the non-privileged user mode as possible (This is why you have User Access Control in newer windows, it was Microsoft's way of hoping it would annoy developers enough to rebuild their applications to not need admin rights, instead it promptly pissed off customers, who disabled it.) So how some applications get around this is by installing additional user accounts with just the permissions they need and then the application or a service used by the application will run under the credentials of this user account. Some applications even need full administrator rights to run, those will be the ones you need to right click the executable and select "Run as Administrator" from the right-click context menu.

Whenever you do this you're running the application under a different, separate user account. Another case, as WhiteFeather was pointing out would be if you plugged in any USB devices like a Flash Drive http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/zFdC1opM7nxhSWwLrs7EOuhEkm6bAatEdEzlYrcepuIj5E8f_sqtxyR4RPVNKRkWt__3fMb65kkS0bfhLjOPru6Fu65DkLWwchI1 lNEzj-r7X4nc-y1XCozuvbcvlFZS8dOyb8_6n0K243hOrnMRsiqXSkbjGFoL9Cx3PEguQN4smVPpOiPb3PeCD8qeJtYUZ4UA3Ls and left an application using it running. The USB host process runs under its own user account if I remember right and that's why each USB device you have plugged in has the potential to trigger that error if you try to close out your computer while an application is using it. To windows it sees the USB host process that it's sending data to in exactly the same way as a separate user account, even though it's not being used by a person but by the USB host process to send data to/from your devices.

Now, that doesn't mean there isn't something going on here, but it's more likely than not being done in another way than this. As far as that message board you mentioned? One thing that's worth noting is that IP addresses are often assigned to major organizations in pools and that IPs can be recycled through various organizations at different periods of time. That may have been a former army IP that then got recycled and picked up by your ISP. I'd need to see the number and check it myself with multiple sources to ensure it's still currently assigned to them. Do you use any proxies or anonymizer services like Tor? (https://www.torproject.org/)

That does not in any way mean these two incidents are related. If they are there's some missing extraneous data that would provide a clearer connection. Furthermore your IP cannot be spoofed by means of merely compromising your PC. Your IP is assigned from your ISP and you cannot just plug in any number you want and become invisible to tracking. This is because without some form of return address record you cannot receive any information back. In short, you could send data and never know it got there. Services like Tor attempt to get around this by creating a special type of onion router network where data is all randomly routed across a series of places and then pieced back together at its destination. The point of this is so that you can still send/receive data but the person at the other end only sees that you're connecting to Tor and not who or where you are. In a traditional proxy situation you might have 1-3 layers of proxies set up to hide your IP but when someone's trying to find you if they can somehow gain access to those proxies they can look up your real address through the IP logs on that machine to see who was sending/receiving data during x time window.

Tor however does such a good job at cutting up your data and routing it so many different places that this approach becomes highly impractical since they might need to go through a few hundred places to track the entire path your data took from source to destination and re-assemble it. Not to mention the fact that it's sent with everyone else's data, so the more people who use tor the safer it becomes to hide within the crowd of packets. Now for someone purposefully to spoof your IP as an army.mil address would require someone to have gotten between your ISP and your destination and while they would need to compromise your computer to point it to their proxy then it should be trivial to detect by doing a traceroute (start -> run, type "cmd" press enter, then type tracert google.com) to see where your computer is routing your packets to get from point A to point B.

It is possible they could run a rootkit to hide this from your traceroute on windows, but if you're using a router you can run a traceroute from your router's control panel, and unless you're either using an unsecured router or a very old one you should be able to trust those results. Very few people bother to compromise router firmware unless it's some sort of extremely sophisticated hack. Of course, at that kind of a point there really isn't much else you could trust so if you don't see any results from the router I'd say that's about as good an answer as you're going to get as to whether or not your PC had been compromised and set to route all your data through a man-in-the-middle proxy to the army.

It's most likely just that you left an application running under different credentials when you tried to shut your PC down. But the above should give you an idea of what else you can check on just to make extra sure.

wynderer
9th May 2012, 18:30
i don't WANT to know how computers work -- someone else finally explained to me what i'd always suspected -- no one knows exactly how they work --all you can do is play around w/what is already there -- no real creativity

computers are part of the technology given to your Human sell-outs in the takeover of this planet -- IBM was one of the first to get the technology -- the guys who helped streamline the Nazi camps

this technology being a big part of the total mind control they have planned -- part of this was that all of us have to have the receiving end of the mind control technology in our homes -- your cellphones are a good excuse for all the mind control towers going up -- plus they get you to pay for this stuff

seehas
9th May 2012, 19:57
i didnt read all coments but this message appears on windows machines if the filesharing is active on the network device, its possible to mount fileshares via nbt on computers that are directly connected to the internet.

for example i can do a netbios scan to a tcp segment like 96.109.29.0/24 and find plenty machines that got filesharing active.

first step to close the door would be to disable filesharing on your network device, but a much better step would be to buy a router and dont connect to the internet directly.

the scenario doesnt mean a person hacked you or something like that, there are also many crawling bots out there and maybe one of them maybe connected to your ip-address...but best thing is closing the door ;)

i hope i could help u

the_vast_mystery
9th May 2012, 20:03
i don't WANT to know how computers work -- I just want someone to anecdotally confirm to me what i'd always suspected so I can feel more secure about my shaky beliefs -- no one knows exactly how they work -- and anyone saying otherwise is a witch! --all you can do is play around w/what is already there -- no real creativity

computers are part of the technology given to your Human sell-outs in the takeover of this planet -- IBM was one of the first to get the technology -- the guys who helped streamline the Nazi camps -- technology is all evil guys! we have to stop using it!

this technology being a big part of the total mind control they have planned -- part of this was that all of us have to have the receiving end of the mind control technology in our homes -- your cellphones are a good excuse for all the mind control towers going up -- plus they get you to pay for this stuff

Well thank you for confirming that you did not, in fact, actually want any help whatsoever with a computer problem nor have any interest in actual knowledge about computers or about what might actually be happening. But next time please be more clear with how you word these things, it confuses people like myself who would actually want to help. ^_^

wynderer
9th May 2012, 20:14
sorry -- i realized after my last post that i sounded very ungrateful to those who offered solutions --
& i could feel the intent to help w/most posts here

let me rephrase my original question:

Do others routinely get the little Windows box that says specifically 'Other people are logged on to this computer' -- ?

If so, & according to what i can glean from all the [helpfully offered ] techno talk, it was not actually 'Other people' logged on to my computer, but some program still up & running -- then why did Windows use that particular phraseology? i mean, someone presumably designs the little boxes & contents thereof

PS -- & i guess i did not make clear that the idea of someone getting into 'my' computer does not bother me -- as an abductee i am used to such stuff -- & i think i also wrote that any problems w/my computers in the past always disappear in a day or two w/o my doing anything

i don't WANT to know how computers work -- I just want someone to anecdotally confirm to me what i'd always suspected so I can feel more secure about my shaky beliefs -- no one knows exactly how they work -- and anyone saying otherwise is a witch! --all you can do is play around w/what is already there -- no real creativity

computers are part of the technology given to your Human sell-outs in the takeover of this planet -- IBM was one of the first to get the technology -- the guys who helped streamline the Nazi camps -- technology is all evil guys! we have to stop using it!

Well thank you for confirming that you did not, in fact, actually want any help whatsoever with a computer problem nor have any interest in actual knowledge about computers or about what might actually be happening. But next time please be more clear with how you word these things, it confuses people like myself who would actually want to help. ^_^

wynderer
9th May 2012, 20:22
misquoting me & adding things to my original quote w/o proper attribution to yourself -- not Kosher, dude

Ī=[Post Update]=Ī

bumping this after losing my temper in last post

sorry -- i realized after my last post that i sounded very ungrateful to those who offered solutions --

Do others routinely get the little Windows box that says specifically 'Other people are logged on to this computer' -- ?

If so, & according to what i can glean from all the [helpfully offered ] techno talk, it was not actually 'Other people' logged on to my computer, but some program still up & running -- then why did Windows use that particular phraseology? i mean, someone presumably designs the little boxes & contents thereof

PS -- & i guess i did not make clear that the idea of someone getting into 'my' computer does not bother me -- as an abductee i am used to such stuff -- & i think i also wrote that any problems w/my computers in the past always disappear in a day or two w/o my doing anything

Bongo
9th May 2012, 20:35
you can create about 6 user accounts on windows

so... you can log on as you (your account you log on with)

then run a program

then you can log off from your account

then log in using another account (account number 2) & the program will still be running from your account (account number 1).

what has been explained to you is that some programs that you use will have created another account without your knowledge so it can work on your computer & when you have tried to shut down the computer it has asked you are "you sure you want to shut down because other people are logged in to your computer" i.e. a program is running under another windows user account, NOT someone over the internet is logged in to your computer. even if you weren't connected to the internet this problem would still happen.

wynderer
9th May 2012, 20:41
OK -- still trying to understand -- my computer is set up w/only an admin log-on -- no other users

if other accounts can be set up in my name -- & i guess this happens to everyone? -- isn't this something to be concerned about?

pls be patient w/me

PS -- also this is the only time that particular little box appeared -- if this is common, why have i not encountered this before?

then run a program

then log in using another account (account number 2) & the program will still be running from your account (account number 1).

what has been explained to you is that some programs that you use will have created another account without your knowledge so it can work on your computer & when you have tried to shut down the computer it has asked you are "you sure you want to shut down because other people are logged in to your computer" i.e. a program is running under another windows user account, NOT someone over the internet is logged in to your computer. even if you weren't connected to the internet this problem would still happen.

seehas
9th May 2012, 20:46
are you connected to the internet directly ?

OK -- still trying to understand -- my computer is set up w/only an admin log-on -- no other users

if other accounts can be set up in my name -- & i guess this happens to everyone? -- isn't this something to be concerned about?

pls be patient w/me

then run a program

wynderer
9th May 2012, 20:47
i am not sure what constitutes directly -- as i said, pls be patient w/me

are you connected to the internet directly ?

pls be patient w/me

then run a program

RMorgan
9th May 2012, 20:53

pls be patient w/me

then run a program

Hi my friend,

Some programs prompt a window, during the installation, asking something like this: "would you like to install this software only for the current user, or for all users?".

This is a usual thing. Some other programs are installed for all users by default.

So, some programs run on one or more accessibility levels on your operational system.

Trust me, Operational Systems, can have the most weird bugs. When they donīt "know" the reason for a problem, these kinds of messages seem to be chosen and displayed almost randomly.

I wouldnīt worry about it at all.

Anyway, if you still feel suspicious about this problem, just ask someone to format your PC for you.

Cheers,

Raf.

wynderer
9th May 2012, 21:04
thanks, Raf -- OK -- another dumb question, about the 'accessibility levels' -- accessible to whom?

also, who designs 'Operational Systems' -?

[maybe other computer illiterates are also learning here]

Hi my friend,

Some programs prompt a window, during the installation, asking something like this: "would you like to install this software only for the current user, or for all users?".

This is a usual thing. Some other programs are installed for all users by default.

So, some programs run on one or more accessibility levels on your operational system.

Trust me, Operational Systems, can have the most weird bugs. When they donīt "know" the reason for a problem, these kinds of messages seem to be chosen and displayed almost randomly.

Anyway, if you still feel suspicious about this problem, just ask someone to format your PC for you.

Cheers,

Raf.

RMorgan
9th May 2012, 21:12
thanks, Raf -- OK -- another dumb question, about the 'accessibility levels' -- accessible to whom?

Hi my friend,

Cheers,

Raf.

Well, accessible to you and for the operational system, in this case, Windows.

The core of the Operational System codes are stored only in one place, your user profile, which access this core all the time, is stored in another.

So, basically, very basically, there are two levels here.

If there are more user profiles, in theory, one cannot access the personal info of the other, but both use the same core of the operational system.

Windows is designed by Microsoft.

There are better operational systems out there, but Windows is by far the most popular and compatible with the huge majority of software.

Cheers,

Raf.

the_vast_mystery
9th May 2012, 21:25

I already explained to you, EXACTLY why, to the computer a separate process run under a different account is the exact same as having a second user logged into windows. -_-;;
You then told me to go shove it because you apparently were proud of your ignorance and incuriosity about technology.

edit:

misquoting me & adding things to my original quote w/o proper attribution to yourself -- not Kosher, dude
Ī=[Post Update]=Ī

bumping this after losing my temper in last post

If it was not what you were implying with your words you could try to actually make a point that was not what you meant and re-explain yourself. Yes, I will accuse you of being willfully ignorant when after I went to great lengths to explain to you the fuller technical details (you ASKED for Elucidation) you then retort that you don't want to know about computers (yet you just ASKED me about computers! How does that make sense if you're not just fishing for someone to feed your own confirmation bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)?)

What you did, not Kosher, this was just me showing more clearly how you presented yourself. If this is a false representation you could actually try to say such and explain in particular how you are not just disregarding everything I said (at your request to HELP you) because it doesn't fit with your own pet theory about how your computer is being monitored. ^_^

Well in Windows case, Microsoft, although there's a thousand flavors of Linux or even a mac if you'd prefer. If you're a security nut there's even a special hardened flavor of Linux (supported by the NSA) you can use. Of course unlike windows Linux makes the full source code available so it's rigorously inspected by a community of free developers giving their time and effort to make a better OS. This also means many eyes to check for back doors, arguably making it more secure than a closed OS like windows or Mac OSX.

Now accessibility levels? Well to understand that you first need to understand what a multi-user OS entails. Traditionally computers started as mainframes and the OS Du Joir for big mainframes was unix. Since many small terminals had to access a big mainframe that meant people's work had to be separated. As such to do anything you had to log in with your own credentials and from there you would be granted a level of access to the physical resources on the machine.

Any files created for instance, by your account, could only be accessed by your account or an administrator. Just like how on this board we can edit our posts and moderators/admins can edit them as well. That's a way of thinking about it. Different accounts have different levels of access. This lets one computer do a lot of different things at once securely. Of course Unix was the basis for Linux (and technically OSX and up mac OS wise) but Windows did things differently at first.

Windows wasn't as strict with its accounting as Unix/Linux originally and that was what made it a haven for viruses because all they needed to do was hijack the active account on a windows machine (since windows originally had no real permission system to speak of) and a virus could change any file on the computer and do whatever it wanted. To combat this windows finally added linux style file permissions.

Now in the case of windows you'll have several accounts that have access to different sorts of Operating System files. Traditional user accounts may not change Operating system files, this is done because if a virus installs itself as a "user" and not an administrator, it can mess up your applications or data, but it can't do anything too nasty to the entire computer if it's not allowed to attack operating system files. (Patching operating system files would be how you'd hide the presence of a virus with a rootkit.) But you have to be able to alter certain files to do things like access/add/remove services, install drivers, etc.

This means that there will be in many cases more than a few windows accounts on your PC that you never see, which silently get used to run varying programs or services (background processes that support heavy lifting of data in applications as well as hardware access) that need access to certain important parts of the operating system. These accounts enable for the minimum access necessary to be granted to each application or process on a case by case basis, minimizing your exposure to viruses getting administrator rights and then being able to patch the operating system.

It's not a 100% air-tight situation but one of a number of tools used by windows to help secure your PC. One of the most common things that will happen is that certain Operating System services, such as the one your computer uses to make your USB data accessible to applications, will run under its own, separate user account so that your entire PC can have access to that no matter which user account is logged in (Even if you only have one account, windows does this so that it doesn't matter whether you only have one.)

So because of that, you can install applications, or an application can install parts of itself as services which may run under the main administrator or one of a number of lesser-privileged user accounts so that it can get access to operating system resources. To windows, an account is an account, it doesn't distinguish between accounts you created through the Control Panel and accounts created by an application during installation.

This means, more likely than not, that it was another application running and not another user account installed by a user. This happens often and I've received that same error myself when I've had programs running. If there really was a separate person logged in to your PC though then they would not be installing their own user account they would hijack your primary administrator account and then install a trojan (which you might notice on your startup list, type msconfig into your run menu and you can check which applications start up with your PC) under it which would give the virus writer full access to your machine regardless of who you logged in as. You wouldn't even know it was there until you managed to find and clean it with Anti-Virus software.

This is, sadly, the state of modern anti-virus but really you can't do much beyond keeping your software up to date, have a good firewall, good security settings, and to use an Anonymizer service like Tor to try and keep yourself protected. So given all of the above? If your PC is being watched or tracked there are ways to tell and this would not likely be one of them.

You're more than welcome to believe otherwise, but if there's no way to prove anything is going on, what good does this talk of suspecting it actually do towards getting you anywhere?

wynderer
10th May 2012, 01:42
thanks Raf -- you could start a career teaching a Computers for Dummies course

Hi my friend,

Cheers,

Raf.

Well, accessible to you and for the operational system, in this case, Windows.

The core of the Operational System codes are stored only in one place, your user profile, which access this core all the time, is stored in another.

So, basically, very basically, there are two levels here.

If there are more user profiles, in theory, one cannot access the personal info of the other, but both use the same core of the operational system.

Windows is designed by Microsoft.

There are better operational systems out there, but Windows is by far the most popular and compatible with the huge majority of software.

Cheers,

Raf.