PDA

View Full Version : The "Thanks" Button

Mozart
12th May 2012, 20:33

Avalonians,

I'm curious about what most of you do with the "Thanks" button that's on the bottom-left of posts in the forum.

Do you thank everyone with whose views are agreeable with yours, only?

Do you thank everyone in your own thread, no matter what, or are you selective?

Do you thank those who post good, well-thought-out posts, even if you disagree?

Are you picky with the thanks, or are you generous with your thanks?

Do you consider the thanks thingy irrelevant or to some degree important?

I'm curious as to how most of you handle your thanks to others with the "Thanks" thingy.

~Mozart

kersley
12th May 2012, 20:52
A bit of all I say. Go ahead and click on that thanks button.. please..

Alex Laker
12th May 2012, 20:54
I would probably consider myself quite stingy with the 'thanks' button. I tend to thank those who have taken the time to reply to a thread or post I've written regardless of whether I agree with it, or if I see a particularly poignant post (or out of irony, as is the case here). I don't see it as integral to the functioning of the forum, although it can be useful as an immediate gauge of whether your post is well received or not. View count and replies alone will not tell you that. It's heavily used unlike on other forums which implement the feature, so it definitely matters to people here... :)

karelia
12th May 2012, 20:56
Interesting thread, Mozart. :)

<snip>Do you thank everyone with whose views are agreeable with yours, only?

Not at all. I often find that it's the posts I don't agree with that inspire me to dig further down the rabbit hole and find new truths.

Not necessarily. If a post is completely off topic or offensive or or or, I won't bother to hit the button.

Absolutely.

Why be picky with something that doesn't cost anything? :)

Not irrelevant, for sure. Important? I don't know. I find it a nice way to communicate something without taking up too many bytes of space.

Likelihood is that there are as many opinions as posters, lol.

Vitalux
12th May 2012, 21:02
I see it as a butt kisser

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/phryque/th_kiss-my-ass.gif

RunningDeer
12th May 2012, 21:15
No, I thank those for their personal expression, and for showing me another point of view. Unless, it's so far out, then I don't.

I thank everyone for their participation. If the person has stated an outrageous or rude remark, I don't thank.

Most of the time.

Generous. If someone has taken time, and often the risk to express their view, I am appreciative.

I feel heard.

I'm curious as to how most of you handle your thanks to others with the "Thanks" thingy.
I thank others for putting it out there. If I see that someone never uses the "thanks button" for others, I don't use it with them. Once in a while, I'll still thank them if what they posted rings true or is helpful.

music
12th May 2012, 21:29
Well, there is one user on here who goes out of his way to thank posts that attack what I have to say, which is very spiritual behaviour. It's amusing, but yes, it is used as a personality or agreement meter only by many.

D-Day
12th May 2012, 21:34
I thank posts for various reasons, but mainly if they meet one or more of the following criteria:

- If they are informative.

- If they are well thought out, well researched, and well structured/presented.

- If they appear (to me) to be formulated around known fact/s, logic and common sense (as opposed to wild speculation and/or wishful thinking).

- If they present information or possibilities that I had not previously considered or had exposure to.

- If I agree with the overall sentiment of the post or I feel it portrays my on views on a topic of discussion/debate.

Alekahn
12th May 2012, 21:36
Adding a bit more perspective to this, here is a thread on the 'thank you' button started by NeverMind back in Feb...

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?40168-Can-we-eliminate-the-thank-you-button-or-at-least-rename-it

Thank you ;)

Mozart
12th May 2012, 21:44

Thank you for your amusing post, but I think that I'll pass on the idea of kiss'n your butt, man. <grin>

:tape2:

Debra
12th May 2012, 21:48
[I][QUOTE=Mozart;487098].

I'm curious about what most of you do with the "Thanks" button that's on the bottom-left of posts in the forum.
I use it a lot, love it, it´s a way for me to quickly let someone know that what they said was important
Not at all, if it is intelligent and suggests that I should be looking deeper, then it deserves acknowledgement.

Yes, unless they are talking with somebody else in the thread, that is not relevant to me or the thread.

A lot of the time, yes. And especially if they challenge my way of thinking, in a way that inspires me to search for more information, absolutely.
Generous - always generous - it is something that I practice in my whole life.

Relevant - because it enables quick feedback that the post is valuable and worth responding to

778 neighbour of some guy
12th May 2012, 21:53
Selective, to me it is a form of appriciation for the effort someone has made, of course i dont always appriciate everything, hence the selective bit, i guess its how i give thanks and get them as well.

Sometimes i even thank for some statement i read and absolutely hate, in that case the thanks means"thanks for the peep into your personality you just gave me"

Thanks can mean a LOT of different things

Debra
12th May 2012, 21:57

Thank you for your amusing post, but I think that I'll pass on the idea of kiss'n your butt, man. <grin>

:tape2:

I thanked Vitalux because, although it is blunt, I think there is some truth there too. Let´s be honest. My only evidence is my own observation of thanking amongst certain members. Makes me wonder, sometimes (when you consider the blend of the people and the topics under discusssion). But that is me.

Conversely, people who only rarely give thanks in postings - I wonder why, how they became like that. But again, that´s me.

Thanks Mozart
Zebra ;)

aranuk
12th May 2012, 22:09
I thank people for all different reasons, but mainly because I agree with them. I sometimes say thanks when most of their post I agree with. I don't read all the threads so it doesn't mean that I disagree if I haven't thanked someone. I sometimes thank someone if they have put a lot of time and research into a post, whether I agree or not. It is not a vote button.

Stan

gripreaper
12th May 2012, 22:14
I once left this forum because my posts were not getting enough “thanks”, so I am totally all about the thanks button.

You see, it’s not just a click of the mouse to me, it’s an expression of the underlying synergistic energies which are coalescing in the source field, and their adherence to the collective consciousness, and the effects these energies are having on the awakening of mankind and the ascension of all sentient beings within the cosmos, whether they are embodied or not.

Energies attract like sentience, as well as the resonant tones, timber and essence of those who have a similar resonant frequency and are sourcing and choosing to hold a certain frequency with others and can change perspective and also the contextual basis from which the viewer exercises their cognitive abilities to understand, as well as the emotional counterpart of the context, or the visceral cellular brainstem full and deeper light of the collective.

This can either resonate vibrationally all the way down to the brainstem level of consciousness, or just bounce off the subject boundary and only have a superficial collective adhesion to the underlying intended vibrational essence, or it could just be a left brain cognitive connection and not create any synergy between the two hemispheres of the brain, leaving one with just a patriarchal viewpoint and not touch the subconscious at all, which the right brain governs and ties into the emotional aspects of the total context.

So, when one has the impulse reverberating within their being, and this impulse unconsciously tells the mind to send the requisite signal to the right hand, in order to take the mouse, and move it over the thanks button, and click it, one should be fully cognizant of the further implications of this act and make it a holistic choice, with the full essence of the individual as part of the collective, and “click it” with all of the resonant frequency eminent within their being and allow the energy to flow into the coalescent matrix where the most collective dream can manifest.

Hope that clear that up for ya.

Rantaak
12th May 2012, 22:14
I click the "thank" button when I want to thank a person for what they have said.

It's a reptilian thing, it makes us feel good to share other peoples' approval. And it makes some people feel bad when a view that contradicts theirs gets more thanks than they did. But only because the people who are wrong tend to be way too obsessed with conformity and or democracy.

Debra
12th May 2012, 23:11
I want to thank myself here, but I am still waiting on my own personal thanks button to be installed. One of the reasons that I am still with facebook :p

post update:
oops, almost overlooked Raantak here .. here mate, here´s another thanks for you.

And Gripreaper -- genius response, could not agree more. You always say it so much better than anyone. The thanks button is not enough.

ljwheat
12th May 2012, 23:18
Its really not worth explaining -- THANK YOU -- :tape2:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up thank-you, thank you, or thankyou in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Thank You or Thank U may refer to:
"Thank you" or "thankyou" (occasionally British), an expression of gratitude
Contents
[hide] 1 Music 1.1 Albums
1.2 Songs
2 Other
3 See also
[edit] Music
[edit] Albums
Thank You (Declan Galbraith album)
Thank You (Duran Duran album)
Thank You (Jamelia album), or the title song (see below)
Thank You (Royal Trux album)
Thank You (Stone Temple Pilots album)
Thank You (Zemfira album)
Thank You (TRR50), a compilation album from the record label Temporary Residence Limited
Thank You (For Letting Us Be Ourselves), by Superstar
Thank You, by Michael Schenker
Thank You, by Nicoleta Alexandru (Nicola)
Thank You, by Ray Boltz, or the title song
Thank You, by Monkey Majik

[edit] Songs
"Thank You" (Bow Wow song)
"Thank You" (Boyz II Men song)
"Thank You" (Dido song)
"Thank You" (Hellyeah song)
"Thank You" (Jamelia song)
"Thank You" (Led Zeppelin song)
"Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)", by Sly & the Family Stone
"Thank You (for Loving Me at My Worst)", by The Whitlams
"Thank U", by Alanis Morissette
"Thank You", by Alcazar from Disco Defenders
"Thank You", by Amanda Lear
"Thank You", by Amy Diamond
"Thank You", by Bobbysocks!
"Thank You", by Chronic Future from Lines in My Face
"Thank You", by Ice Prince from Everybody Loves Ice Prince
"Thank You", by Jay-Z from The Blueprint 3
"Thank You", by Norman Bedard
"Thank You", by The Redwalls from De Nova
"Thank You", by Simple Plan from Still Not Getting Any...
"Thank You", by Sister Hazel from Fortress
"Thank You", by Swans from Filth
"Thank You", by Westlife from Turnaround
"Thank You", by Xzibit from Full Circle
"Thank You, No. 19", by Huey Lewis and the News from Plan B
"Thank U", by Ayumi Hamasaki from Love Songs
"Kind & Generous" or "Thank You", a song by Natalie Merchant

[edit] Other
Thank You (1925 film), a 1925 film directed by John Ford
Thank You (2011 film), a Bollywood romantic comedy
Thank You (TV series), a 2007 South Korean series featuring Shin Sung Rok
Thank you letter, a letter written to express appreciation

[edit] See also
All pages beginning with "Thank You"
I Thank You (disambiguation)
Thankful (disambiguation)
Thanks (disambiguation)

Delight
12th May 2012, 23:24
See also
All pages beginning with "Thank You"
I Thank You (disambiguation)
Thankful (disambiguation)
Thanks (disambiguation)

J5ZjrGdlNDo

the_vast_mystery
12th May 2012, 23:26

Avalonians,

~Mozart

I thank anyone who either posts something really insightful, touching, and/or helpful, especially everyone I debate with. I see that as me giving them thanks for the opportunity to gain additional knowledge and also in a way that I find particularly enjoyable. ^_^
So I actually thank a lot of people I disagree with, because through discussing what they believe even if they do not change my mind the mere fact that we had that discussion enables me to at least a little, expand myself by testing what I think and feel against the real world reflected around me.

Delight
12th May 2012, 23:28
I forgot to say when do I give thanks? It is just when it feels good to do it. I especially like thankful feelings.... delight

QELQB8LpSiY

gripreaper
12th May 2012, 23:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXZj4O5T25I

how bout getting off these antibiotics
how bout stopping eating when I'm full up
how bout them transparent dangling carrots
how bout that ever elusive kudo

thank you india
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you frailty
thank you consequence
thank you thank you silence

how bout me not blaming you for everything
how bout me enjoying the moment for once
how bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
how bout grieving it all one at a time

thank you india
thank you terror
thank you frailty
thank you consequence

the moment I let go of it was the moment
I got more than I could handle
the moment I jumped off of it
was the moment I touched down

how bout no longer being masochistic
how bout remembering your divinity
how bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out
how bout not equating death with stopping

thank you india
thank you providence
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity

Deega
12th May 2012, 23:59
Thanks Mozart, interesting to know members «thanks» behavior, here is mine.

No!, maybe on some occasion, as you know, we learn more from opposing view!

Members who contribute to a Tread I initiated will received a reply or a thanks for their participation in a selective way!

Absolutely!

Unfortunately, I would tend to say that I stand between the two extreme!

It has some motivation importance I would think!

All the best to you.

Deega

Realeyes
13th May 2012, 00:07
Great question!

There is actually an older thread discussing this very question that had some very human witty answers that made me laugh and agree with.

Sorry, I do not know where it is; maybe the Mods who remember loads can put a link up.

Cidersomerset
13th May 2012, 01:46
This has been discussed before and it really winds me up !!

As far as I'm concerned a thank you has many meanings ...A polite hello, an acknowledgement of a thread, a high how are you...What ever mood you are in its nice to acknowledge
someones efforts....

Ok you may feel its unworthy of your efforts to acknowledge the posts of lesser members ,thats your prerogative !!! I don't thank everyone but if I read a post I usualy acknowledge
with a thank you whether I agree with it or not, to acknowledge their efforts.....Unless of course I don't agree with the thread !!! Then I don't....

There are members on here that have hardly acknowleged anyone and I feel sorry for them for being so 'closed minded',,,,

Just say thank you and acknowledge the efforts of everyone ....Cheers Steve

GoingOn
13th May 2012, 02:21
Isn't it interesting how questions like this reveal so much (if we take the time to truly examine our motives)?

Currently, I appreciate the "thanks" button. It certainly isn't required for my participation here.

If I consider a given post inflammatory, it is unlikely I will "thank" no matter how well written the post; don't feed the chaos/trolls.

If someone appears to avoid thanking (based on the numbers shown with the user ID), it is less likely I will "thank" no matter how well written the post; the poster may have negative reactions to thanking and/or being thanked.

At present, I don't have a basis for comparison to determine if I am generous or picky with "thanks."

Unified Serenity
13th May 2012, 02:49
I click thanks when I like what they say, when I find what they say is thoughtful and well stated even if I disagree, if it's a thread a I started and they cared enough to comment and share thoughts agreeing or not I will thank them for taking the time to respond.

I do not like how the thanks button can be a semi-silent group think method to attack a person by someone really going after a poster and then the same people thank posts on many threads that have that "attack" feel to them. I believe the thanks button can often be used to form group think and therefore would rather not have it on the forum, but then you get a crapload of "Thanks" as the only reply. It's a catch 22 feature imo.

xbusymom
13th May 2012, 02:53
It's a reptilian thing,

*(it is NOT just a reptilian thing... kinda sounds like YOU are just doing 'the guy thing'... which makes it sound like you don't know what the H#77 you are talking about...)

anyway ... back to topic...

I hit the thanks button to show that people have made a difference in my life. If I resonate with what they said or if they have touched me in some way... whether I agree or disagree/ like or dislike... they made me think about something important to me... its a way to confirm like-mindedness and also a way to indicate that another person can be a 'teacher' I can learn from.

music
13th May 2012, 03:04
And it makes some people feel bad when a view that contradicts theirs gets more thanks than they did. But only because the people who are wrong tend to be way too obsessed with conformity and or democracy.

So it is the number of thanks that determine whether a person is "right" or "wrong"? That must be why the people working agendas cluster-thank each other - to make them "right".

mosquito
13th May 2012, 03:08
I thank people who have made an intelligent response, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. I thank people who make a contribution to a discussion. Most of all I use the thank you button as a way of saying "I hear you".

Being human, I suppose I am a little selective, despite trying not to be. I have a tendency to thank people who have said something which needed to be said and have received NO thanks for saying it. But I definitely refrain from thanking posts which are : fear porn, hate motivated, utterly f*cking stupid.

To those of you who believe you're stingy with your thanks, your stats say otherwise !!!

jackovesk
13th May 2012, 03:23
As my Father always says "Its important to give Credit (Thanks), when Credit (Thanks) is due"...

...and this exactly how I use the 'Thanks Button'...

I use the 'Thanks Button' with Integrity & Respect....:yes4:

So much so, that after reading a post I have Thanked initially & after re-reading it does'nt resonate that post will be De-Thanked...:noidea:

If you get a 'Thanks' from me, it is a genuine recogniton of your post, reciprocation, effort, view &/or Opinion...:)

Hervé
13th May 2012, 04:23
My personal prize piece, as of today:

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pQnZ7CM2CoopGjs3QSQG_dL7630XrfZkadWl_NGSpAR8PKbK tm_FprWrUHASF2WITQHrpP6keZLDW0A1hltsbRw/Image-2012-5-12-23h56mn29.jpg?psid=1

That day, I learnt that if I wanted my posts to be thanked, I shouldn't hit cult fundamentalists / New age Church believers' dogma in the teeth with a sledgehammer... (view it here (https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pQnZ7CM2CoopGjs3QSQG_dL7630XrfZkadWl_NGSpAR8PKbK tm_FprWrUHASF2WITQHrpP6keZLDW0A1hltsbRw/Image-2012-5-12-23h56mn29.jpg?psid=1)).

Since then, I always keep that tool to hand and to hell with the thanks.

KiwiElf
13th May 2012, 04:48
I use the thanks button for what it says - I found the information useful (translate as expanding my knowledge and awareness) irrespective of whether I agree with it or not.

But,... I'm an Elf! :P and that's just my take ;)

mind-scape
13th May 2012, 05:30
Thanks for the Thanking Thread!
Interesting to read through the responses. :)

<8>
13th May 2012, 06:26
Thanks for an interesting subject.

My view on this..

It's just a thought if you press that button or not.
It's how you have been conditioned that decides what thought that arises, you might believe that you consciously pressing the button, but that is just another thought.

How you react if people have pressed the button or not is of course conditioned thoughts also, you can get emotions that really hurts, to emotions there you are taping yourself on your back.
It's just the ego minds way and how it responds.

If you always press the thanks button no matter what people have said and you feel gratitude because you know that everyone is important to our experience here.
Then I would suggest that you are an enlightened person..

Ernie Nemeth
13th May 2012, 06:35
I thank more these days than before. I find that most people really like to be acknowledged - they wouldn't have posted if they did not have something to say. Who am I to judge its merits beyond the obvious, if there even is such a thing.

I often find myself looking at how many thanks a person has given out as a way to understand the size of the ego involved.

I must admit I look for thanks from my friends to judge myself - whether my post was useful or not. My friends would be the most honest, wouldn't they?

And I like to thank those with few thanks racked up yet to encourage them to continue posting - to build their confidence. I know it meant a lot to me when I first arrived.

Oh, I'm gonna admit I often log out and sneak back in to see if I've been thanked. There I said it. So sue me. lol

toad
13th May 2012, 10:41
I thank when I'm thankful. :D

Mad Hatter
13th May 2012, 12:40
I simply use it as a count of the number of posts I have read on this forum...not all of them useful mark you... simply a convenient way of marking where I may be up to in any particular thread since no other methodolgy is available.

Should something strike me as particularly deserving of my thanks I have the option of making an entry to express such along with the opportunity to state why.

So as of this entry thats 12,453 posts I've taken the time to read, some of which I may consider absolute drivel but then you will never know...:p

foreverfan
13th May 2012, 14:53
If I read your post and it make me think or laugh... I will Thank You.

Sidney
13th May 2012, 15:30
I very much like showing appreciation and/or acknowledgement and/or credit to those posts which I agree with, or really enjoy. But in all honesty, on this forum,,, that accounts for a very high percentage of what I read here, and on a laptop with a tiny little square thing that you have slide all over the place to get to the thanks button, it can be time consuming to give thanks to every post that I enjoy or appreciate, it realistically is not possible for me to do that. So I will take this opportunity to say to everyone here,that I love and appreciate all of your efforts and participation on this forum, and If i don't thank your posting, please do not take it personally, or think that I don't care about you or your opinion. Because I do appreciate all of you (except for the trolls, of course).:grouphug:

Mike
13th May 2012, 15:43
BALLS!!! not an honest poster among you in this thread!

aside from the posts i like or agree with, i'll thank...

-really long posts that i'm too lazy to read but are written by posters i otherwise respect and thanked by posters i respect.

-in threads where i have started an insidious trend of thanking everyone, and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them out (1 member once said to me (and this member shall remain anonymous unless she/he wants to claim this comment) in response to all the annoying thanking she/he felt compelled to do, that the only way out would be to fake their own death and return as someone who never thanked anyone. i laughed for days over this. thank you anonymous)

-i thank people who thank me a lot, even if i don't really like their posts, because i don't want to hurt their feelings.

-i thank new members because i want them to feel comfortable here

-i sometimes wonder why those i thank quite often do not thank me, when clearly my post has been brilliantly funny or witty, and often times wonder if they are simply jealous of my God-given brilliance and uncanny ability with words

-i'm often annoyed with those that are stingy with their thanks, though i secretly admire them because now that i've become quite liberal with mine, i've become annoyed at what i feel has become a responsibility, or an obligation

-confession: i once wanted my thanks to mean something, and rarely handed them out, and even pictured the elated faces of those who had received my divine endorsement, ordering their spouses and family members to the computer to witness the miracle -- "look honey, ive been thanked by CHINASKI!!! bloody hell, i can die now in peace!" Bill Ryan has mastered this technique, and he must feel like God when he clicks that little button, he being about as stubborn with it as a toddler with their favorite toy. i tend to think he gets a queer satisfaction out of this. ( i would!)

-i hypocritically thank people who single me out for praise, even when i can't stand them

-when i start a thread, which i rarely do, i feel a compulsive need to thank each and every poster for participating in it, and if i discover that i have missed someone, i'm overcome by persistent feelings of guilt, sometimes imagining that person as an unstable, emotionally disturbed individual whose sensitivity might cause them to overdose on pills or jump over a cliff at the slightest feelings of neglect; and not only will i go back and thank them, i'll also single their post out for special attention, replying to and praising it as if it had been written by God himself, even if it was the sh!ttiest post ive ever read.

-sometimes i'll thank a poster i like when they're debating with another poster i don't like -- even when i don't necessarily agree with it -- just to be spiteful.

-last but not least... sometimes, when i write something especially brilliant, i wish i could thank myself; and often wonder about the relative intelligence of the forum if said post is not recognized for the inherent genius that is clearly demonstrated. if the post *is* recognized by the forum, it is a wonderful ego boost and i love sitting back and watching the thanks pile up.

Snowbird
13th May 2012, 15:55
If a post touches me in some way, I will usually push the Thanks button. Sometimes I am not logged in even tho I would normally Thank the poster. Other times, I am so interested in what is being said by all on a thread, that I forget to thank.

Thanks for this thread. :lol:

Mozart
13th May 2012, 16:10
Awesome replies, everyone!

Sometime ago I had a couple of exchanges of PMs with our illustrious moderator, Paul, who helped me understand what the specific "thanks" and "posts" numbers referred to, to wit:

Ok, so let's use your counters as an example:

6,579 -- [This is the number of posts that you posted?]

2,520 -- [This is the number of thanks in the posts that you posted?]

Thanked 11,701 times -- [This is the thanks that you've given to others?]

2,596 posts -- [What is this number of posts?]

6579 - Number of posts I have posted - correct.
2520 - Number of times I have thanked others
11701 - Number of times others have thanked me
2596 - Some 2596 of my 6579 posts have thanks; the other nearly 4000 posts of mine were not thanked.

xbusymom
13th May 2012, 16:49

-really long posts that i'm too lazy to read but are written by posters i otherwise respect and thanked by posters i respect.

-in threads where i have started an insidious trend of thanking everyone, and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them out (1 member once said to me (and this member shall remain anonymous unless she/he wants to claim this comment) in response to all the annoying thanking she/he felt compelled to do, that the only way out would be to fake their own death and return as someone who never thanked anyone. i laughed for days over this. thank you anonymous)

-i thank people who thank me a lot, even if i don't really like their posts, because i don't want to hurt their feelings.

-i sometimes wonder why those i thank quite often do not thank me, when clearly my post has been brilliantly funny or witty, and often times wonder if they are simply jealous of my God-given brilliance and uncanny ability with words

-i'm often annoyed with those that are stingy with their thanks, though i secretly admire them because now that i've become quite liberal with mine, i've become annoyed at what i feel has become a responsibility, or an obligation

-confession: i once wanted my thanks to mean something, and rarely handed them out, and even pictured the elated faces of those who had received my divine endorsement, ordering their spouses and family members to the computer to witness the miracle -- "look honey, ive been thanked by CHINASKI!!! bloody hell, i can die now in peace!" Bill Ryan has mastered this technique, and he must feel like God when he clicks that little button, he being about as stubborn with it as a toddler with their favorite toy. i tend to think he gets a queer satisfaction out of this. ( i would!)

-i hypocritically thank people who single me out for praise, even when i can't stand them

-when i start a thread, which i rarely do, i feel a compulsive need to thank each and every poster for participating in it, and if i discover that i have missed someone, i'm overcome by persistent feelings of guilt, sometimes imagining that person as an unstable, emotionally disturbed individual whose sensitivity might cause them to overdose on pills or jump over a cliff at the slightest feelings of neglect; and not only will i go back and thank them, i'll also single their post out for special attention, replying to and praising it as if it had been written by God himself, even if it was the sh!ttiest post ive ever read.

-sometimes i'll thank i poster i like when they're debating with another poster i don't like -- even when i don't necessarily agree with it -- just to be spiteful.

-last but not least... sometimes, when i write something especially brilliant, i wish i could thank myself; and often wonder about the relative intelligence of the forum if said post is not recognized for the inherent genius that is clearly demonstrated. if the post *is* recognized by the forum, it is a wonderful ego boost and i love sitting back and watching the thanks pile up.

Wow! and since you come from a position of paranoia of NOT BEING LIKED, you evidently cant see anything but your own viewpoint of dishonesty and being untrue to yourself and have to make everyone else to be liars to match your world.

I tried to be someone other than 'myself' for a long time when I was younger... I tried to be the person everyone expected me to be... the trouble was that everyone each had a different expectation of How I Should BE, so I could never please anyone... and I was so confused and miserable!
and so... now I will go back and click the thanks button to show (according to my true feelings- as explained in my previous post) that you have made a difference in my awareness of how some people need to be untrue to themselves and hence to lie to the rest of the world.

RunningDeer
13th May 2012, 19:21
:moil: He's backkkkkk!

Dear Mr. Chinaski,
Thank you for your honest sharing.

WhiteCrowBlackDeer :ranger:

:wave: Tee...

karelia
13th May 2012, 19:33
*falls over laughing*

<snip>

I didn't know what I was missing, but upon reading your post I realized I didn't have a Chinaski fix for a while! Thank you for the hearty laugh! ♥

RunningDeer
13th May 2012, 19:42

Wow! and since you come from a position of paranoia of NOT BEING LIKED, you evidently cant see anything but your own viewpoint of dishonesty and being untrue to yourself and have to make everyone else to be liars to match your world.

Hello xbusymom,

I've PM Chinaski, and have gotten to know him.
He probably wouldn't want this out so it'll be our little secret. :secret:

Chinaski's really just a big Teddy Bear. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/SEVeyesC08_th.gif High IQ with a dark sense of humor, at times. He doesn't get a lot of sleep, so he's cranky. Who also has a really bad, chain smoking habit. (But now, I'm way, way off topic.)

:offtopic: Sorry. Feel free to delete.

Peace,
WhiteCrowBlackDeer
:ranger:

Mike
13th May 2012, 20:11

Hello xbusymom,

I've PM Chinaski, and have gotten to know him.
He probably wouldn't want this out so it'll be our little secret. :secret:

Chinaski's really just a big Teddy Bear. High IQ with a dark sense of humor, at times. He doesn't get a lot of sleep, so he's cranky. Who has a really bad, chain smoking habit. (But now, I'm way, way off topic.)

:offtopic: Sorry. Feel free to delete.

Peace,
WhiteCrowBlackDeer
:ranger:

100 cyber bucks for that spot on evaluation Dr. WCBD. and boy your couch is comfortable!;)

xoxoxo,
Mike

Mike
13th May 2012, 20:19

-sometimes i'll thank i poster i like when they're debating with another poster i don't like -- even when i don't necessarily agree with it -- just to be spiteful.

I tried to be someone other than 'myself' for a long time when I was younger... I tried to be the person everyone expected me to be... the trouble was that everyone each had a different expectation of How I Should BE, so I could never please anyone... and I was so confused and miserable!
and so... now I will go back and click the thanks button to show (according to my true feelings- as explained in my previous post) that you have made a difference in my awareness of how some people need to be untrue to themselves and hence to lie to the rest of the world.

yes, it's called projecting. guilty as charged.

perhaps you won't be so harsh on me next time if i include a few smiley faces, eh?;)

everyone comes from a place of paranoia of not being liked, it's just a matter of degrees. besides, i'm not too terribly concerned with it -- the post was written with tongue half in cheek. i thought this was obvious. though i will thank your post so as to not hurt your feelings ok?;)

xbusymom
13th May 2012, 20:30
yes, it's called projecting. guilty as charged.

perhaps you won't be so harsh on me next time if i include a few smiley faces, eh?;)

everyone comes from a place of paranoia of not being liked, it's just a matter of degrees. besides, i'm not too terribly concerned with it -- the post was written with tongue half in cheek. i thought this was obvious. though i will thank your post so as to not hurt your feelings ok?;)

no slight taken, you were just being true to yourself in your own manner... I am just a person that 'needs' to call a spade a spade... although I do usually try to keep it kind and tactful... I was really taken aback and blown-over by the strength of emotion of the post...
yes, degrees of paranoia... I agree. I also agree that 'tone of voice' often times gets lost in the intention of the written texts. (and smiley faces would probably help) ;p

onawah
13th May 2012, 20:44
I just had to thank Chinaski for his posts on this thread...:laugh:
And I can relate to everything he said.
Whether he's being serious or just pulling our legs (and possibly his own), I always find his posts refreshing.
That's a very useful quality on forums like this, devoted to serious topics.
But which often fall prey to pettiness, egoic slights, cliquish behavior and other nonsense.
A good, sardonic sense of humor really helps to cut through all that.
THANKS Chinaski! :hug:

A Simple Human
14th May 2012, 05:41

Yes, indeed! ;)

Rantaak
15th May 2012, 00:33
It's a reptilian thing,

*(it is NOT just a reptilian thing... kinda sounds like YOU are just doing 'the guy thing'... which makes it sound like you don't know what the H#77 you are talking about...)

anyway ... back to topic...

I hit the thanks button to show that people have made a difference in my life. If I resonate with what they said or if they have touched me in some way... whether I agree or disagree/ like or dislike... they made me think about something important to me... its a way to confirm like-mindedness and also a way to indicate that another person can be a 'teacher' I can learn from.

I'm not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you are judging me for being male. I am both masculine and feminine. You are free, in fact, encouraged to believe that I am a raving crackpot. That is fine. I am here for the people who want to listen to me.

You also quoted me out of context. What I was referring to was the sense that people have about the approval of others. Our sequential tendencies are reptilian. That is science. Our brain comprises of three primary components; reptilian, mammalian, and neo-cortical. The r-complex is what drives our reactionary behavior. Very much like your accusation of my apparent ignorance. If I seem ignorant to you, don't listen to me. There are plenty of people that will :-). This has a lot to do with comfort. If one feels challenged, they will react out of insecurity. If one is secure, they will accept challenge.

We must accept what we are. The alternative community demonizes the reptilian complex of our alchemy. This is a result of the cascading disinformation that serves to placate those who fear our knowledge. We are all hybrids. The key is in learning to quell the beast within and allow all energies into our perception, past the veil of judgement. I hope that you can accept this truth.

And it makes some people feel bad when a view that contradicts theirs gets more thanks than they did. But only because the people who are wrong tend to be way too obsessed with conformity and or democracy.

So it is the number of thanks that determine whether a person is "right" or "wrong"? That must be why the people working agendas cluster-thank each other - to make them "right".

You have missed my sense of humor. I will elaborate upon what you have misunderstood.

Thanks determine how many people have thanked you for what you have said. This is often motivated by how your statements make them feel.

ulli
15th May 2012, 01:54
Funny thread. Feeling gratitude as I'm reading these posts.
Hitting the thank you button means I'm in appreciation mode.
Means I'm open to all kinds of opinions.
Training myself to even thank those people who I no longer resonate with.
Maybe they are going through a phase I was once stuck in myself,
and need a bit of acknowledgment. Maybe a thank you will help
them get past their issues.
But if a post makes my jaw drop I usually don't thank it.
There must be a connection there somewhere, between jaw and hand.
Gratitude is a virtue. We are on earth to acquire virtues.

divine_moments_of_truth
15th May 2012, 03:41
Ooooh I got one.......does a post with more "Thanks" on it make it more legitimate and believable? :nerd:

Ivanhoe
15th May 2012, 16:17
Being thankful is such a thankless job, so thanks anyway.