PDA

View Full Version : Building trust - How to spot a liar

Unified Serenity
14th May 2012, 18:17
This was mentioned by Cliff High and felt it was worth looking into, and thought you all might find it very interesting in how to get to the truth and spot it which also means being able to spot a lie, for a lie is not the truth.

This was a good video:

At times:
"Lying is a cooperative act" Pamela Meyer

P_6vDLq64gE

Ernie Nemeth
14th May 2012, 18:47
Good video. I guess I am a liar too, then. Yup, she's right, I do lie.

Slightly off topic but...
There was once an old video game before animation could be handled by computers (crunching all that raw data). It was a dungeon where everything was just words.
At one point the gamer is confronted with this scenario:

There are two doors, one leads to your death, the other to a room of riches. Gaurding each door is a witch, one who always tells the truth, the other always tells a lie. You have one question you may ask to determine which door to take.
What is your question?

Can you figure out the solution? (sorry Us if this is not welcome here) (please delete if it is so)

EnergyGardener
14th May 2012, 18:51
Self Edited.

Bryn ap Gwilym
14th May 2012, 18:58
An interesting video. Thank you.

Shamz
14th May 2012, 19:53

There was once an old video game before animation could be handled by computers (crunching all that raw data). It was a dungeon where everything was just words.

There are two doors, one leads to your death, the other to a room of riches. Gaurding each door is a witch, one who always tells the truth, the other always tells a lie. You have one question you may ask to determine which door to take.
What is your question?

Can you figure out the solution? (sorry Us if this is not welcome here) (please delete if it is so)

In this scenario - lets say Door A leads to Riches and Door B leads to Death ( pain etc. )
So you will go to one of the witches ( also one other thing is...you don't know which witch always tell the truth and which always tell lie ) and ask her this question.

" If I ask the other witch about the good door...which door she will point me to ? "

Now lets consider the scenarios.

1. Lets say you went to the bad witch - which always tell lie - so you ask her the above question. Now she knows that since other is good witch- she will point you to Door A -- and since she herself always lie---- so she will say - Door B to your answer

2. Lets say you went to good Witch - ask her the same above question.... she knows that Bad witch will tell you to open door B because she always lie --- so Good witch will tell you door B is the answer to your Queston

So in both the cases its door B and you always open the opposite door -- to what any Witch will tell you.

If you are confused... read the question in bold...which you will ask one witch

TargeT
14th May 2012, 19:56

What is your question?

2dgmgub8mHw

OpHW0HxY044

;)

I lie at strange times, often to impress others, I (now) immediately catch myself and will correct myself on the spot (out loud) I guess its an old habit based in narcisistic mentalities of my youth... I also find myself tempted to lie by omission often to spare people "bad feelings" which I think may be an attempt at control on my part, though I haven't thought about it enough to feel confident about that.

I try my best to always be truthful, my own empathy (or is it ego?) and rationalization often gets in my way however.

danceblackcatdance
15th May 2012, 07:37

What is your question?

to find out the liar you hold up two fingers on your hand and ask either witch 'how many fingers am i holding up?' :) :)

jc71
15th May 2012, 08:56
Hi danceblackcatdance,

I think that would establish which witch was the liar, but not which door to go through.

The answer, I believe, is something along the lines of asking either witch "If I were to ask the other witch, which door to go through, what would they say?".

Just my thoughts....

J

danceblackcatdance
15th May 2012, 10:18
hey jc71 :) seems so! :)xx

Ernie Nemeth
15th May 2012, 16:43
You guys are just way to smart! Thanks US.

tenacity1
15th May 2012, 17:38
I grew up hating lies and those who told lies.. Had to delve in false diplomacy in the business I was in. Now, that I am out of it.. I LOVE getting in trouble for telling the truth.. More times than not I have to stand on my hands to keep from saying what I really think online and off..
If folks lie that is their karma..I'd rather not have that baggage