PDA

View Full Version : I believe our 'Earth' was given the wrong name...

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 16:24
Firstly there is 75% water on the surface to 25% land. There HAS to be more life in the oceans than on the land! Secondly all life, as far as we know, started in the oceans. We live on a water planet. At the very least it should be called Sea-earth.

please discuss if you agree ot not anyone who wants to.

Decibellistics
4th August 2010, 16:34
I just watched a pretty boss Explorer on Nat Geo called the virus hunters. Check it out if ya'd like. It was basically about how evolution occurs through viral interaction and the virus embeds itself in the DNA which they think may actually be one of the most important aspects of fetus development.

How bout, Searth? lol

Agreed, far more life in the oceans I'd imagine.

It was either bacteria or viruses that started it all. Land or Sea.

Fredkc
4th August 2010, 17:09
It's a rock.

Once you name something you can never get rid of it.

Celine
4th August 2010, 17:11
Terra is the true name is it not?

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 17:13
Isnt Terra the latin name for earth? Possibly Fred, but whats wrong with modifying the name anyway? ;)

Celine
4th August 2010, 17:15
And under those oceans/lakes/rivers/icecaps ...isnt there rock?

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 17:23
Yeah, do you know if anything lives in it? My only point is we live on an ocean planet cos most of the surface is covered in water..... ;)

Agape
4th August 2010, 17:26
If dolphins could speak they'd probably agree with you more ...

humanoid type of beings as we like to call advanced intelligencies with two feet usually enjoy firm grounds and fresh air and water just ocassionally..

Our bodies store lots of water inside , in synchronicity with outer environment . Actually, if there was more oxygen here, it'd feel much better .

Planets are nicknamed whatever you call them ...

:becky:

Steven
4th August 2010, 17:26
There are a lot of name for Earth.

The latin root :Terra (soil, ground) is today widespread, but it wasn't this way in the past.

The ancient greeks called it: Gaia

The ancient Sumerian called it: Tiamat

Today, its Earth, but might change in the future depending who writes the books!

And there is more to Earth than rocks! The four elements are everywhere on Earth!

Namaste, Steven

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 17:33
Dolphins DO speak. I think our brains arent large enough to understand them though.

I always liked the name Gaia. Think it means something along the lines of mother. Which is what 'Earth' is she keeps us alive.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic! :D :love:

Agape
4th August 2010, 17:43
In old Persian and Sanskrit languages, predecessors of modern indo-european language group where we all belong to some extent,

Earth was called Bhumi ( Bumi , Bum, for land in Old Iranian ).

It basically means inhabited place ( bhuvana is life ).

Agape
4th August 2010, 17:47
Dolphins DO speak. I think our brains arent large enough to understand them though.

I always liked the name Gaia. Think it means something along the lines of mother. Which is what 'Earth' is she keeps us alive.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic! :D :love:

Many cultures of old and tribes scattered around the globe referred to the earth as the 'Mother' of Life, while to the heavens or sky as the Father .

And sometimes..it was right the opposite..

:)

Wookie
4th August 2010, 17:57
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6056789081969524094#

Some interesting ideas about Earth and Tiamat. As for Dolphins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs

Peaceful Journeys. Wookie

Kulapops
4th August 2010, 18:19
You're Right... I think 'Sheila' is a terrible name for a planet.... how about we rename it 'Bob' instead?

Actually , dreamchaser... being slightly more serious now... I love the idea that says you can name everything you come across whatever you like... hills... rivers... mountains... woods. Give them names that have meaning for you. That's a very centred and special place to be.

Of course... it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else will know what you're talking about, but I love the idea.

So, that said... what is the name you would like to call the 'Earth' if you could call it anything you like... what would have meaning for you?

I see no reason not to start calling it that when you're talking to anyone about it. I mean at some point it's going to stick if it's a good name...

(Bob is probably not going to be that name however ;0) )

Thanks for the thread...

K

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 19:27
I like to call the sun the father personally.

I'll watch the first video later Wookie, thanks. Funny turn on the dolphins. Ive heard their brains are 40% bigger than ours, and that one half of their brains sleep at each time. But if theyre the 2nd smartest animals I wonder which are supposed to be the smartest?....

HORIZONS
4th August 2010, 19:36
How about...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Waterworld.jpg

dreamchaser
4th August 2010, 19:37
Yeah, naming ANYthing can be a very personal, and connecting thing to do. Ive always loved the name Gaia, but Im kinda stuck on Seaearth at the moment. Theres a name in the corner of my mind that encompasses WHAT the earth really is for ALL life! I just cant nail it down right now though. Sure it will come, in time.

Think yer right about Bob being not QUITE right aswell! ;) lol

how about......What Horizons?.............

Love and peace to all, Adrian. :love:

Wookie
4th August 2010, 23:00
I like to call the sun the father personally.

I'll watch the first video later Wookie, thanks. Funny turn on the dolphins. Ive heard their brains are 40% bigger than ours, and that one half of their brains sleep at each time. But if theyre the 2nd smartest animals I wonder which are supposed to be the smartest?....

well according to the book 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' mice
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/28/blue-mice.jpg
Planet Bob might be a "Titan AE" reference, not sure but not a bad sci fi movie with a planet named Bob
Peacful Journeys. Wookie

Celine
5th August 2010, 00:01
I think the OP is reffering more to "soil" then earth... Mass wise , there is alot more earth on this planet then water..

cute mice... why is one blue? lol

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 08:37
I accept that Celine. I welcome all opinions. But as far as surface coverage goes theres more water. You see what Im trying to express?.....

jaybee
5th August 2010, 09:08
I welcome all opinions......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oera_Linda

Themes running through the Oera Linda Book include catastrophism, nationalism, matriarchy, and mythology. The text alleges that Europe and other lands were, for most of their history, ruled by a succession of folk-mothers presiding over a hierarchical order of celibate priestesses dedicated to the goddess Frya, daughter of the supreme god Wr-alda and Irtha, the earth mother.

Wr-alda........ world ?

Irtha...... Earth ?

:thumb:

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 09:24
Celibate priestesses ? Poor loves...

:0)

I'm liking 'Waterworld' though.... don't think I could sit through the movie again though...

Also... we call it earth because that's where we live... I think it's an overassumption that the dolphins call it earth too. Being more intelligent, they probably have amuch longer name, something like

nourishing-water-mother-with-the-non-watery-bits-where-that-race-of-t*ts-live

K

jaybee
5th August 2010, 10:03
Celibate priestesses ? Poor loves...

I don't think celibate priestesses need your sympathy.....:p

Just googled the 'power of celibacy' to see what came up.

Just one example....

http://sensualcelibacy.blogspot.com/2008/10/power-of-celibacy.html

Not having sex is powerful because it enables us to reclaim our personal power. When I started having sex as a young woman, I got caught up in the manís dreams, the manís demands, the manís time. I totally lost myself..

:cool: :thumb:

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 10:22
Well, I wasn't being totally serious, but, yes... well if it's a free choice after all, then why not?.......celibacy is extremely popular in all religions, so it's probably for good reason.

However, it's the line that says 'presiding over...' that gets me. Inequality anywhere rankles my sensibilities and I hate to think of the presiding mothers enjoying life while enforcing a curfew on the adepts. Perhaps that's not the case, but why do power (presiding over) and sex (or lack of it) always seem to go hand in hand?

5th August 2010, 10:30
As Above So Below.....such a true statement all the time but also our relationship to earth and our own spirits.

I've always found it silly that we search the universe for spiritual answers and tend to forget to look inside. Just like we can visit space already yet have NO idea what's right here at home in our oceans. At least we're consistently backwards! lol

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 10:40
I think there would be a much better balance in everyone looking in AND out at the same time. Like temper whatever worldly wisdom we have with whatever wisdom we have in out hearts? Does that make sense?..............

Elandiel BernElve
5th August 2010, 11:05
Cool discussion going around here!

personally I favour Terra or Gaia in a universal way, meaning that for once and for all we decide one name for all languages.
English speaking people here think this planet is called Earth but you might consider all other languages perhaps. There's still more people calling it not (literally) earth but their equivalent.

Gaia is beautiful because it's a real name without meaning that as far as I know (but I might be wrong) isnt associated with an element or characteristic.

It's funny no one refers to colours here. We call our planet the blue planet and Mars the red planet. So a "colourful" name is out of the question?:p

frank samuel
5th August 2010, 11:28
Here's my two cents worth, the Earth, Gaia, Terra, Tierra or whatever you wish to call her has a life all of her own. If you believe in coincidences there's too many to be found how the balance of the nature in this planet is totally amazing. We are very well protected and nourish within this womb we call planet Earth. Some people feel out of place within it yet she does not complain she keeps supplying our lungs with oxygen , our bellies with food, our eyes with beauty. For all the destructive madness she has endure this planet never stops giving. If you ask me we humans,(multidimensional beings), have a lot to learn from this planet and maybe just maybe some day we will.

Many many blessings to all.:wub:

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 11:36
Gaia is one of MY favourite names for earth aswell Elan. Thanks for the post

Frank yer words completely resonate with me man! :D

Love and peace all. :love:

zenith
5th August 2010, 14:20
We could call it a dream, or an illusion.
Too real for some I guess. :)

Peace

Steven
5th August 2010, 14:58
We could call it a dream, or an illusion.
Too real for some I guess. :)

Peace

Yes, an illusion, but an illusion that matter ;)

Namaste, Steven

zenith
5th August 2010, 15:41
Yes, an illusion, but an illusion that matter ;)

Namaste, Steven
Does matter matter?
I think that's a whole other matter. ;)

Elandiel BernElve
5th August 2010, 15:50
I can can call you a (wo)man or an illusion, a dream maybe, a person and a human but fact remains youve got a NAME that identifies yuor uniqueness.

Gaia (ill call it that from now:P) is a planet, a rock, a floating object in space, a dream, an illusion, a holographic place but again fact remains we can give it a proper unique name to identify it.

Otherwise I could call all my friends hey illusion how youre doing today.. I think Id be lonely pretty soon.

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 15:54
I think that's a whole other matter. ;)

Those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. But someone made of matter can concievably have less influence on a person than someone not made of matter! ;)

:love:

zenith
5th August 2010, 16:37
I can can call you a (wo)man or an illusion, a dream maybe, a person and a human but fact remains youve got a NAME that identifies yuor uniqueness.

Gaia (ill call it that from now:P) is a planet, a rock, a floating object in space, a dream, an illusion, a holographic place but again fact remains we can give it a proper unique name to identify it.

Otherwise I could call all my friends hey illusion how youre doing today.. I think Id be lonely pretty soon.
I don't disagree. However I think if they were truly your friends, they'd still hang around. :)

;) dreamchaser

Peace

frank samuel
5th August 2010, 16:43
Earth matters, matters not, the ether energy is, energy perhaps more than that, now you see it, now you don't, puff where did it go, was it an illusion or maybe the illusion was us. Terra a feast for the senses, enjoy it while we still can.

greybeard
5th August 2010, 17:25
Read some where, cant remember where, that the whole cosmos pulses in and out of existence every mili second.
It may well be an illusion but I wouldn't recommend leaping off of a tall building saying "I dont believe in gravity"
The world is real enough, its our perception that prevents us seeing it and its inhabitants as it/we really are.
I agree with Frank, in that while I dont feel I really belong here, I do appreciate the magnificence of this earth and every breath I take.
C

Agape
5th August 2010, 17:30
I like the name Gaia for Earth because it represents not only the rock bellow our feet but the biosphere surrounding it that is actually much more important to us than the soil alone.

Ecosystem with many co-dependant factors where just one would not be enough to support our life, as intelligent creatures, as we know it.

When it's said Gaia I am picturing the little ( or big, as you wishes ) globular greenhouse with ponds and greenary and deserts and mountains and atmospheric bubble protecting the Life within.

Coincidentally , Greek name Gaia, Earth Goddess sounds right the same as Gaya in Sanskrit.

There, Gaya is derrived from the root :gay- such as in 'gayate' : 'to rejoice' . In another words, 'Place of Joy'.

Notice the words : joy and gay as examples.

Because the roots of many of our Indo-European languages were preserved as our ancestors subsequently migrated from minor Asia to old Persia (todays Iran ) , Indian subcontient and further through the vast northern planes to European continent,
common language roots can be traced to very far ( geographically ) and long ago.

But, ultimately, calling this planet Bob could save us from many future difficulties and social cataclysms I believe.

:)

Agape
5th August 2010, 19:00
Coincidentally again, I found this little Quiz called 101 Amazing Earth Facts on LiveScience news page today :

http://www.livescience.com/php/trivia/earthfacts/

Question 6 :

How much space dust falls to Earth each year?

Answer:

Estimates vary, but the USGS says at least 1,000 million grams, or roughly 1,000 tons of material enters the atmosphere every year and makes its way to Earth's surface. One group of scientists claims microbes rain down from space, too, and that extraterrestrial organisms are responsible for flu epidemics . There's been no proof of this, and I'm not holding my breath.

Question 7:

How far does regular dust blow in the wind?

Answer:

A 1999 study showed that African dust finds its way to Florida and can help push parts of the state over the prescribed air quality limit for particulate matter set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The dust is kicked up by high winds in North Africa and carried as high as 20,000 feet (6,100 meters), where it's caught up in the trade winds and carried across the sea. Dust from China makes its way to North America, too.

:lol:

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 19:25
See... I thought Bob would catch on soon enough... it's kinda friendly, accesible, non-threatening, whilst being short, punchy and well rounded, just like, well, just like planet Bob actually.

Look, there's even an 'o' in the middle of Bob... says it all really.

Now that's sorted we just have to find some new names for things like, knives forks and spoons...

I recommend 'Dirk', 'Susan' and 'Peppe' for starters....

Hey...just to really spin things around... we could rename everybody that has a name, with the name of an object instead. Hence, from now on, I am to be know as "bedside-night-stand"

Mods.. assistance please !!

BNS

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 19:34
Emm, Kula if you dont like this topic...................:|

;)

Studeo
5th August 2010, 19:38
Sol 3. Would be cool. Third Rock from the Sun.

Decibellistics
5th August 2010, 19:38
hey Bedside-Night-Stand,

I got dibs on Doppleganger

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 19:50
Erm... no .. I love this topic... I think it's a really creative and informative thread... something I actually feel I can contribute too.. which , believe you me, doesn't happen often at Avalon for me these days...

I mean.. it's something you can have an opinion on, without it being invalid. There is so much duality on threads that it's really refreshing to have an open ended thread.

just my little contribution :0) I like Bob by the way... oh.. here I go again...

lol...

P.S. Bedside-night-stand might just catch on too... kinda like it...

dreamchaser
5th August 2010, 20:12
Bob? Seriously Kula!! :s I mean are you absolutely SURE???????????? :D

A lot of people seem to like Gaia so far. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

much love

Elandiel BernElve
5th August 2010, 22:34
Im sorry man but to call gaia bob is like replacing my image of gaia (a beautiful serene divine woman in ancient greek transparant clothing) (ghehe just fooling around) by some big fat beer drinking, stinking laughing truckdriver.

Nah i would definately go for gaia:p

Sol 3 is cool as well:) I like the word Sol and the addendum 3 gives it a sci-fi edge as if we're already a spacefaring race that has just integrated in the interstellar highway system of Alpha Ceti 6 and Orion theta XM 12. And now our next stop will be at the beuatiful space oasis called Sol 3

Love to all

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 22:54
Well.. I think you just insulted a lot of Bobs out there, Elandiel :0) that's not the image I get at all. I think it's important to choose a name that has meaning for you. I quite like the idea of Bob... instantly I feel it's a lot more accessible... Gaia is a little more mysterious and makes me think like I need to know more about her than I do... I need to go and read up a bit more... whereas if the Earth was called Bob... well, it's like we're best of friends already

:0)

But seriously folks.. you could also play around with the letters for a new word... how about Igaa ? Or Agai or Agia ? Aagi ? Hmmm perhaps Gaia is the best use of those four letters,... but only because we're used to it. Just think... in a parallel universe somewhere there's a discussion on a forum somewhere going....

" But do we have to call the Earth Bob ??? I mean, it's not very grand , is it...? "

"But we've always called it Bob ! Everyone knows the Earth is called Bob. Even kids. What else would you call it ?"
"Well.. I was thinking of something a little more mystical..."

"Like what for example???"
"Well... I've always quite liked the name Gaia..."

"What? Gaia.. ?? As in the beer swilling, truck driving , stinky 20 stone woman...?"
"Well... I like it anyway...."

HORIZONS
5th August 2010, 23:18
See... I thought Bob would catch on soon enough... it's kinda friendly, accesible, non-threatening, whilst being short, punchy and well rounded, just like, well, just like planet Bob actually.

Look, there's even an 'o' in the middle of Bob... says it all really.

Now that's sorted we just have to find some new names for things like, knives forks and spoons...

I recommend 'Dirk', 'Susan' and 'Peppe' for starters....

Hey...just to really spin things around... we could rename everybody that has a name, with the name of an object instead. Hence, from now on, I am to be know as "bedside-night-stand"

Mods.. assistance please !!

BNS

So, are we earthlings - earthers - gaians - or perhaps boblings? LOL

Kulapops
5th August 2010, 23:24
Actually.. you've got my brain going on this Bob thing now... see I told you I loved this thread... it's allowing some creative thought process.

I was thinking, perhaps one of the reasons why we treat this planet in such a sh*t fashion, is because we don't relate to it. Earth ? What's that? It's dirt... not much special about that, people will think. Who needs to be careful around earth ???

Or call it gaia ? some mystical ... etherical distant name..you either buy into that (and personally I do, so don't shout at me already!) or you don't. What's Gaia ? Sounds suspiciously like somebody else's planet, don't you think? Eh..?

But hang on a minute... ! Start calling the planet Bob.. and immediately it's your friend ! As in

"Hey.. Wait !!! We can't do that to Bob !!!"

"Lay off Bob already !!! Don't you think he's been through enough ??!! "

"What the f**k were you going to do to Bob ??"

"Stop cutting up Bob! He doesn't like it!!! "

"Bob's just not been himself these last few years... we really need to take care of him"

"Hey.. I've got this great plan for Bob... it's really going to cheer him up..."

"You know.. I thought we could go over to Bob's... take a few beers and a barbie.. and see if he needs any help about the place "
See ? Instant Bob help in action....

zenith
6th August 2010, 03:37
It may well be an illusion but I wouldn't recommend leaping off of a tall building saying "I dont believe in gravity"
The world is real enough, its our perception that prevents us seeing it and its inhabitants as it/we really are.
Hi Chris,

I certainly wouldn't recommend jumping off tall buildings (unless your first name is Super).:)
Big difference however between merely saying "I don't believe in gravity", and genuinely not believing in gravity.
Might I suggest if we were to perceive the world and it's inhabitants as it/we really are, then we wouldn't perceive them at all.

Peace

ps- love your bedtime stories Kula, aka bedside-night-stand.:)

Studeo
6th August 2010, 05:07
I thought of another one. HOME

Elandiel BernElve
6th August 2010, 07:20
Cool, I just got up, wandered to my work looking at the blue sky and white clouds, dreaming of my divine girl gaia and hoping at work I could catch up on this discussion and yeah nice posts again:)

I must admit Bobs might be offended by my previous posts, but that of course is not the intention:p personally I've just never like the name bob...

Home is so true but once again not unique and not pronouncable by all languages

Mandala
6th August 2010, 23:50
When I first heard the word "Gaia", I loved it. Seems like home.

Agape
7th August 2010, 13:44
I was searching through multi-language dictionary today morning to check what is the Earth called in different languages apart from those most commonly known ( to me :lol:)

Besides else I found that planet is called planeta in Phillipino but planetary is called pamplaneta and that made me laugh.

And then I came accross the name for Earth in Finnish : Maa and thought it's one of the most beautiful ones I've heard.
I'd definitely want this planet to be called Maa.

Further on, with many clicks on and back I realized that we've totally surpassed the word Land which of course, should represent solid inhabitable land nevertheless it's closely related to :landing and that again gives great sense to me because we've once landed here .

In that connection I found few articles explaining names of different lands ,

such as the origin of the name of Egypt :

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/kmt.htm

India :

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_meaning.asp

50 States of US Confederation :

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0854966.html

And other...

I'm aware that USA is not called Confederation nowadays but apparently once it was ( 1781 ) and curiously enough..

there is a project attached to the Yale University called : The Avalon Project

that stores various historical documents dating as old as 4000 B.C. :

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/artconf.asp

:panda: