PDA

View Full Version : What do you visualise in meditation?

ollie6986
6th August 2010, 20:43
Hello all,

I have been reading and learning a lot about meditation in recent weeks, in particular the importance of visualisation during meditation which is suggested to be one of the most powerful methods for bringing thought into manifestation and thus experience.

I am still relatively new to meditation so I know I have a lot to look forward to with the success that can be achieved through it. I want this thread to be a place where people share their individual meditation visualisations (basically what works for you), which should give others positive ideas and techniques to try out and hopefully enhance their own abilities. A common theme in many teachings is that there is a 'lack of a shared common vision in humanity as a whole'.

When you close your eyes and meditate, what do you visualise when you focus on your version of a beautiful world of unity, peace and harmonic balance?

I try to visualise the Earth from space, usually the view of the Earth you would see from the Moon. Once at that point I try to zoom in so that the Earth becomes larger and more clear. I have difficulty going past that point and maintaining focus because I am still at an early stage...but I'm getting there and I know it comes with practise and persaverance.

What do you focues on? Fire away .........

Steven
6th August 2010, 21:02
Practice and perseverance are part of your attitude, then you will go far. This is a language you will develop over time, but in my case, I use my own inner symbolical language that I construct little by little over the years. I visualize and also imagine the sound, smell, touch and taste if relevant.

If you close your eyes and I tell you; "Harmony on Earth" What do you see? The first few images that pops up in your mind are the best tools to communicate with your inner spirit.

Simply do not stay stuck on the technical side, it will help at the beginning but after a while, it becomes like watching an inner movie. Trying to impose a technique when your subconscious tries to suggest another way could be limiting. That is also true if you want to add a powerful ingredient to the visualization, which is the emotion. The emotion really comes easy if your subconscious is the engine, and your mind, the observer.

There is no best "image", the important is the meaning, your personal meaning. Because the essence of meditation is communication. Not the type of communication we use to do in day-to-day affairs, but rather to open a channel of free flow of thoughts/feelings where your subconscious and your awareness become synchronous, working together. At first, you need to calm down your brain and body.

Namaste, Steven

noxon medem
6th August 2010, 21:07
A life where meditation is not necessary, just here and now, for real.
And irritation not so much a part of understanding this illusion.
( - sorry for not being more accurate. My cat sits here on the floor,
eating a rat, so I am a bit distracted at the moment ..)

NeoEmc2
6th August 2010, 21:23
Hey there friend, welcome to the forum. Let me share my opinion and take it for what you will.

For starters let me just say that there is no right or wrong way or even a "best" way to meditate. I can also tell you that visualization is more for the adept. I would suggest to you to try not visualizing anything at first so you can get used to intentionally giving your mind rest. Once you have practiced that way enough times and you feel comfortable, move on to the visualization.

For me - speaking from personal experience - I try to blank/clear my thoughts. Every time a thought comes to mind I acknowledge it then get rid of it - pretend it's a dissolving cloud if you will. With practice this becomes easier and easier till you eventually get to the point where you are in deep meditation and your mind is clear. Letting go is also a good practice for clearing your thoughts. Let go of EVERYTHING - the room around you, the place your are sitting on and/or laying down and your body just to name a few.

I have tried visualization before with some techniques by the Hathors (http://tomkenyon.com/who-are-the-hathors). They are simple to follow and helpful as well. Check out the link and read about their Holons. I've used the Holon of ascension, Holon of healing and Holon of balance for visualizations before.

In reference to your question, if I am to visualize the earth I usually try to envelope the entire planet with green light and I try to hold that thought - sort of like keeping your mind blank. If any other thought comes to mind, I get rid of it and go back to the vision of the earth with green light. Why green light? Because of the heart chackra. The intention is to give love to the earth and every Being in it, thus the green light.

If you just started to learn about meditation another thing I would recommend to you is to get some music that helps to reach deep states. It helped me at first and I still listen at times, but not always. It's good for the beginner but eventually you should get rid of it. If you want to try this type of meditation, look up Jonathan Goldman. He makes some really good stuff.

Hope that helps

Wookie
6th August 2010, 22:30
Hi Ollie I am about at the same stage as you I think. http://www.kundalini-teacher.com/meditations/grounding.php I found this site while searching for meditation guide. Not sure if it what you are looking for but it helps me allot. Still working on making it a part of my daily routine but feel i have gained from the practice.

Peaceful Journeys. Wookie

noxon medem
6th August 2010, 23:23
thanks Wookie, for the link.
My last comment could leave the impression
that I do not understand the potential in
meditation, or practice it. That is not correct.
But because of my slow and easy way of life,
developed over many years, I do not do much
specific meditationtime. Maybe I should do more.
will read this and give it a try.

Edit:
just a first reaction, apropos the visualisation.
Quoting from link, on grounding:
"When you have the warmth, imagine that the top of your head is a flower."
- think I have to meditate on techniques not to feel ridiculous first, ahem..
Maybe other images work as well, does it have to be a flower ? A three maybe,
or a well, or is it specific that it is flower-power the force we are searching here ?
Guess I will figure this out or a way around it . This one is easy to agree on:
" Imagination is power! "

tone3jaguar
7th August 2010, 02:22
I visualize roots growing out of my root chakra and into the earth. Next I visualise the center of the Earth sending light to my roots. I then see the light travel up the roots, into my body, up my spine through the pineal grand and out of the center of my forehead. I do this before any meditation.

Celine
7th August 2010, 02:25
i feel myself in my purple happy place...

warm/bright purple light surrounds me..

sound and feel of water...

Ammit
7th August 2010, 07:52
I visualise ME, reflected in a huge mirror, I zoom in and out, rotate all around. Sometimes I will remove the mirror keeping my image and add bits of landscape to put myself in different settings. The other day I surounded myself with animals on a grass field in the grounds of a farm. Great stuff..

Majorion
7th August 2010, 09:29
You can take nice long breaths, slowly in and out, close your eyes and imagine that your lungs are filled with light, that grows brighter with each breath. There are many techniques to relax, it all depends on your preference of imagery, your favorite colors, so maybe you can feel like you're in a comfortably familiar place. I like celine's choice, purple is very relaxing, and I know its a bit feminine but if you're ever been in a room with purple lighting and a good lazy-boy, you'll agree.

Ammit
7th August 2010, 09:46
A good one is to visualise flying above a forest, hearing the trees russle as you pass them, see animals and swoop down to follow a lake and watch your reflection in it.

ollie6986
7th August 2010, 11:25
Some brilliant responses and pieces of advice everyone! I figured the replies would vary greatly as meditation is such a individual process for what feels comfortable and what works for oneself. There are some great suggestions which I will definitely experiment with. I never thought of incorporating smells and sounds into meditation, I suppose doing so invokes much more emotion which only makes strengthens one's abilities. My focus at the moment is achieving stillness and stopping mind chatter which is much more challenging than I first thought it would be

I have another question to the more experienced meditators on this forum. Has anyone that takes part in any group meditations, whether it be meditating with a small group of people in the same room together or participating in organised meditations with people in different countries at a specific time with a specific intention, found that they are able to achieve results/feelings/experiences that they are unable to produce during individual meditations? Testimony of the power of the aligning group mind is what I am probing for.

Thanks again for the advice and direction!!!!!!!

leavesoftrees
7th August 2010, 11:28
I visualize roots growing out of my root chakra and into the earth. Next I visualise the center of the Earth sending light to my roots. I then see the light travel up the roots, into my body, up my spine through the pineal grand and out of the center of my forehead. I do this before any meditation.

I like this . I came across Warren Grossman's work, who was given only a few weeks to live. Instead of lying in bed, he lay on the ground and connected to the earth everyday. The Earth healed him!

http://www.warrengrossman.com/home.htm

Since reading his work I ground on the earth everyday, connecting to the mother. It is very healing and puts me in a significant altered state/

SkepticSoul
7th August 2010, 12:21
Meditation is NOT only about visualisation or calming the mind or have no toughts what so ever...
It IS about exploring yourself in the first place.
Listen to your body, feel your body, sense your body and that what is hidden will reveal itself.

Peace

Steven
7th August 2010, 12:31
...Has anyone that takes part in any group meditations, whether it be meditating with a small group of people in the same room together or participating in organised meditations with people in different countries at a specific time with a specific intention, found that they are able to achieve results/feelings/experiences that they are unable to produce during individual meditations?

I have had many experience in group meditation/prayers and it is quite powerful. It looks like the sum of all parts is greater than all individual taken separately. Like 1 + 1 = 3.

I regularly participate in group meditation, Satsang style and I have seen marvelous things happening as a direct result of group meditation. What needs to be clear in a group meditation is the intention, it must be the same for all participant. The imagery used is personal.

Here on Avalon, we have the Nexus meditation group leaded by Samarkis who will be glad to share with you the power of a group. I'lll pm her for you.

A note about feelings: It is quite important that your come quiet and your mind should be relax before you visualize. If you focus on Harmony for whoever or whatever, and your inner feeling isn't harmonious for any reason, you send a contradiction to your subconscious and will receive contradicted results. If you want to see joy in the life of someone in great sufferance, you will have to "enfeel" this joy somewhat. Using another imagery to enfeel a given emotion is a good trick to produce the needed emotion.

Namaste, Steven

Celine
7th August 2010, 12:35
Very wise worsd Steven... somethings to ponder while i play with flowers this morning..

often i "meditate" while making bouquets or cleaning flowers... they, the flowers, pull me in...

Steven
7th August 2010, 12:41
Very wise worsd Steven... somethings to ponder while i play with flowers this morning..

often i "meditate" while making bouquets or cleaning flowers... they, the flowers, pull me in...

Ah! Then you are really, contemplating! That's the beauty of contemplation. It is a meditation called not by your mind, but by the beauty of Creation to your mind. It is quite powerful! I do it also with elements of nature and my kids are getting it already!

Namaste, Steven

7th August 2010, 12:54
I inhale silver light from the centre of the earth into my root chakra at the spine base. On each subsequent inhalation a red sphere of light slowly rotates clockwise. On the outbreath it gatheres pace and reverses it's spin anticlockwise glowing in brightness and richness of red. One I'm aware enough of this organic red sphere to actually physically feel it I move onto the next chakra in the abdomen. The earth's silver light moves upwards until I'm spinning an orange sphere clockwise on the in breath and speedily spinning it into form on the out. I continue this with the remaining 5 major chakras until I can see hear and feel all seven spheres twisting clockwise in unison and then exploding into fast spins anticlockwise at the richest imaginable colours for each.

Once I've got this image firm and can feel each chakra specifically or in total at command, I imagine the original silver light from the earth bursting out the top of my head (crown chakra) firing into the air a few feet. It then falls back down around my body as though I had an invisible egg around me. Always helps me to imagine this silver energy dripping like magnesium down the egg around me. When the silver energy hits the floor of my egg where my feet are I shoot it back into the earth where it came from.

So........at this stage I'm an invisible being with seven spheres of light rotating back and forth in unison. On the inbreath I draw from the earth charging every sphere. On the outbreath it fires out the crown, drips down my aura and gets powered back into the earth until I am no more than seven points of organic light channeling silver energy back and forth.

Once this feels very real, I have no need to try and quiet the mind, it just happens. Then I move onto any specific work I'd like to do after getting into the zone!

Steven
7th August 2010, 13:46
Here is the link for the Nexus meditation thread. Group meditation scheduled for all soul with good will!

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?9-2012-Nexus-Global-Meditation...All-Welcome!!!

If you want to share a personal "imagery" I use often; Imagine your inner space as a wonderful inner sanctuary or majestic castle or a natural earth oasis. Where lights are intense, sounds are harmonious, peace, harmony and balance reign. In the center of your inner home, you meditate in your favorite posture, calm, at peace with all that exist. You will draw from this magical place, all potential to create the reality you want to become and experience.

Namaste, Steven

conk
9th August 2010, 19:06
Leavesoftrees, I just read the book Earthing. Seems many people are awakening to the idea of grounding themselves to Mother Earth. The book explains in detail why it works and why it's so important. I am now sleeping with my body grounded. I have a special sheet that is impregnated with silver threads (conducts electricity) and this is plugged into the ground receptacle.

leavesoftrees
11th August 2010, 12:33
Leavesoftrees, I just read the book Earthing. Seems many people are awakening to the idea of grounding themselves to Mother Earth. The book explains in detail why it works and why it's so important. I am now sleeping with my body grounded. I have a special sheet that is impregnated with silver threads (conducts electricity) and this is plugged into the ground receptacle.

Thanks Conk I had not heard of this book but found it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Earthing-Most-Important-Health-Discovery/dp/1591202833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281529640&sr=8-1-spell

How do you find sleeping on the grounding sheet?Have u noticed any changes.

Indigeneous peoples used to sleep directly on the ground, with just a small fire burning nearby to warm them while they fell asleep. I wonder how it would be to be grounded like this every night of your life. I find just lying on the ground for 15 minutes puts me in an altered state of consciousness

greybeard
11th August 2010, 13:11
I am going to make myself some what unpopular with this.
Meditation is an observing aware state not a doing.
In the process of learning to meditate the cds the visualizations are helpful to encourage self discipline.
However the states achieved are likely to be hypnotic trance induced rather than true altered states of higher consciousness
As a professional Hypnotist I used visualization technique to deepen trance so I know the therapeutic value of it and the difference between that and the "real" thing.

Any attempt at control during meditation detracts from the purpose which is to discover the presence of God within.
"Be still and know that I am God" "The kingdom of Heaven is to be found within"
Im not of any religion but respect the teaching that is attributed to Jesus.
Self guided meditation is a bit like talking when you should be listening.
Eventually one gets fed up with the cds etc.
What works for me is.
I start sitting upright eyes closed do three Oms perhaps a short mantra then wait to see what happens.
Thoughts may appear to begin with, I just let them come and go without any comment or interaction.
After about fifteen minutes a strong outward pulling at the fore head, third eye level may occur.
I might feel something like a soft breeze brushing my cheeks, a tingling at the crown chakra.
Most times I will be aware of the movement of energy in my body and a strong rising energy in my spine traveling all the way up into my head and coming over into the the third eye.
Some times there is a feeling of bliss, this can be intense with tears of joy starting to roll down my cheeks.
I feel loved is the best way I can describe it.
Try it for your self, no technique required.
Nothing, or very little, may happen first few times, dont look for a result, just be there in the moment.
Regards to all points of view
Chris

frank samuel
11th August 2010, 14:34
Chris I very much relate with your meditation technique. Is fair to say that once you been to that place of love and compassion within your inner self there's no need for visualization because you are almost instantly transfer into that state of warm embrace, a feeling of oneness with the source and essence of all things.
Thank you for this thread.

Many many blessings to all.:wub:

kriya
11th August 2010, 15:57
Hello loves,

Great thread! Haven't had a chance to read through it all. But I too agree with Chris, use visualisations, chants etc.. as techniques, but they are not meditation. Meditation is the stillness that one gets after using these techniques that quiet the mind. It is in the stillness that the Cosmic beloved or your higherself, if you prefer, can be found and communed with.

Love,

Kriya