PDA

View Full Version : Ray Bradbury - In Memorium

Whiskey_Mystic
6th June 2012, 20:56
A truly revolutionary thinker has left us. Thank you, Ray Bradbury, for entertaining us, challenging us, and showing us visions of the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

Debra
6th June 2012, 21:08
_W-r7ABrMYU
My first sci fi author .. Others have followed along with a mountain beyond fiction. But Ray was the first.

Carmody
7th June 2012, 13:09
A truly revolutionary thinker has left us. Thank you, Ray Bradbury, for entertaining us, challenging us, and showing us visions of the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

That was awesome! (In a childish sort of way)

It gives bookish nerds... scribbling away in poorly lit trash scattered rooms...some hope. :p

Carmody
7th June 2012, 13:58
Bradbury died in Los Angeles, California, on June 5, 2012, at the age of 91[43], after a "lengthy illness",[1][44][31][45] coincidentally during a rare transit of Venus.[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury,_Ray

sigma6
8th June 2012, 00:09
I enjoyed reading Bradbury, although at the time I didn't consider him a science fiction author, (even though I remember reading stuff like the Martian Chronicles) for some reason I never even tried to categorize him, he was just Ray Bradbury, and I was reading a Ray Bradbury story, which was going to be be one weird, entrancing, compelling, reading experience. His characters always drew you in and you were guaranteed to have all the unexpected twists and turns that you expected in the same vein as a twilight zone episode. His writing style was truly unique. I look back fondly on my days pouring over his stories.

Btw, does anyone remember the name of the hotel in Bladerunner that the engineer with all the dolls lived in? (that guy who invited Pris over to his 'place' ? ;-)

added this great eulogy to Bradbury with reference to the other greats...
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/06/06/ray_bradbury_s_death_did_the_author_of_fahrenheit_451_write_science_fiction_or_was_it_something_else _.html

Carmody
8th June 2012, 00:40
pqUtV8XWSes

eileenrose
8th June 2012, 01:23
Thanks man (Ray) for all the wonderful times we had together (through your science fiction writings).

You, along with other well known authors, kept me occupied and out of parental concerns (control) while growing up.
You were my inspiration to image other worlds, other races and to think outside the typical paradigm offered through education here in the U.S.A.
Without you (and all other sci fi writers), I would have been consumed by the materialism and greed displayed by other youths, who spent their time doing sports, getting after school jobs or working, all in the hope of having a successful career, 2 1/2 children, a family dog and a big house to put them all in. ...and thought that their only goal in life was to consume happily (while reality passed them by).

You taught me to look outside myself and to try to demystify the universe.

thanks, I needed that help from someone who cared too (and didn't think we were just stuck here on a planet of immature beings...and no one else existed in the Universe that cared or at least you helped us imagine there were such beings/ETs).

eileen rose

Cartomancer
8th June 2012, 01:30
I've always enjoyed his work. My first name is Bradbury after my mothers family name. I always followed what was up with him. He will be missed. One of the best in modern history.

Whiskey_Mystic
8th June 2012, 20:18
For me, it has always been a three way tie for who is the greatest.

Asimov
Bradbury
Clarke

There are many greats, but these three for me were the foundation. (Foundation Trilogy?)

Honorable mentions to H.G Wells and Jules Verne of course.

Hey, do you guys remember when we used to read books? That was fun.

leavesoftrees
8th June 2012, 21:58
For me, it has always been a three way tie for who is the greatest.

Asimov
Bradbury
Clarke

There are many greats, but these three for me were the foundation. (Foundation Trilogy?)

Honorable mentions to H.G Wells and Jules Verne of course.

Hey, do you guys remember when we used to read books? That was fun.

You left out Philip K Dick, a few of whose works were made into not very good movies (except Blade runner and Minority Report}

I try to spend an hour a day reading a book.. You should try it , a different experience from reading a screen!

Cartomancer
8th June 2012, 22:54
I Grok Bradbury,Heinlen, Asimov, and Clarke as well! I saw Asimov give a lecture when I was in High School. It was in about 1978. He spoke of a giant solar energy collector in space. I noticed about ten years ago the Russians actually attempted this! It was a memorable lecture for a young sci-fi fan. Anyone ever see the Saturday night live trekkie convention satire? One of the people is wearing t-shirt that says: "I grok spock" on it!

Rantaak
9th June 2012, 00:18
You don't have to burn books to keep people from learning - you just have to get them to stop reading.

Stop and smell the roses.

mojo
9th June 2012, 01:52
Since they say truth is stranger then fiction do you think that Mr. Bradbury got help for discerning the truth that was out there? oh yeah...;)

Whiskey_Mystic
9th June 2012, 02:05
Since they say truth is stranger then fiction do you think that Mr. Bradbury got help for discerning the truth that was out there? oh yeah...;)

No, I don't. I don't think it is necessary to accurately imagine the future. What is required is intelligence coupled with imagination. Clarke also saw the future this way and he is more famous for it.

Back when only a handful of us were on the internet (years before Mosaic), I predicted our new internet culture and the way we download media and do our banking and such. My friends thought I was wacky and had quite an imagination. They were right. And so was I. :-)