PDA

View Full Version : If I may? A pet peeve on the forum

mojo
19th June 2012, 14:11
It's been requested before by others and still concerns me the way it can be used. It's the way the "thanks" button can be a tool to show favoritism or alienation. I could list many examples and I hope others would agree with this observation. Even having the name of Bill Ryan in one of my started threads saying thanks would be awesome, but it points to what the problem is. Expectations...I dont think I'm alone on this thought. I sent a persoanl request in the past to the moderation team asking to think about changing the way we use the thanks button. The response was the thanks button is a way to show suppport and is not being used the way I mentioned to warrant changing. I wish the mod team to reconsider how the thanks button is used because it lists the names of the members. A happy medium would be to tally the number of thanks from us instead of list names and would show true support of the thread. Names just set us up for questions.

onawah
19th June 2012, 14:34
I think that's a good idea.
Perhaps an additional feature might be considered--a signal that would simply show that a member has read the post, if the member wishes the OP to know that. It wouldn't signify either agreement or disagreement, but simply that the post has been read.

RMorgan
19th June 2012, 14:41
Hey folks,

You must have in mind that is not so easy to make such modifications on the forum.

Most scripts and apps used to improve or change the forum´s experience actually cost some money.

I´m not sure about it, but I think PA is operating under a short budget.

Anyway, it´s a nice suggestion, mojo.

Cheers,

Raf.

Vitalux
19th June 2012, 14:45
In my understanding of nature of humans, we will complain about everything.
Therefore, no matter what this site does, there will always be someone that will complain about it.

Take the weather for example. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/allabtluv/Animated%20gifs/sunshine.gif
It doesn't matter what kind of day it is outside, there will always be some miserable bassturd that will complain about it :rant:

mojo
19th June 2012, 14:49
Did your understanding of human nature ever speak about compassion? Such as the way you alluded in your subtle response?

markpierre
19th June 2012, 15:37
Oh I don't know, my ratio is pretty bad. I don't feel too hurt by that. Or fooled.

We've made this point before, and I think we just got over it.

Cartomancer
19th June 2012, 16:09
I agree. I have noticed a few distinct gangs of people here. One of them even thinks nothing of attacking you just because you don't buy what their favorite alternative journalist is saying. One even uses psycho-analysis to try and screw with your head instead of just disagreeing with you. They also use the technique of posting one or two very long winded posts after the one you put up just so no one will interact or reply with what you said. I'm sure this happens normally some also but a pattern may discerned with specific "fans" of some topics.

I always thank everyone who posts on thread I started or comments on a post. Additionally if I was impressed with what they said.

I think there are people who use the thanks button as a kind of popularity contest. I am not going to "thank Mojo" out of solidarity for your opinion.

zebowho
19th June 2012, 16:15
Even though I appreciate your intent Mojo, this issue has been discussed ad nauseam.

I would suggest to anyone reading this thread to consider if the thanks button presents a problem then maybe, just maybe a closer look into ego is in order.

This is no personal attack on you Mojo, just an observation in cause/effect. I think ego brings these types of "issues" up because "ego" is concerned about "what others think".

When I thank a post, that "thanks" is intended for that person and his/her post (or something contained within it), not to show the rest of the forum that I thanked. When I get thanks on a post it only shows me that there was something that others appreciated. When ego is pulled out of it, "thanks" is nothing more than a little personal appreciation!

-z

AlternativeInfoJunkie
19th June 2012, 16:25
It's been requested before by others and still concerns me the way it can be used. It's the way the "thanks" button can be a tool to show favoritism or alienation. I could list many examples and I hope others would agree with this observation. Even having the name of Bill Ryan in one of my started threads saying thanks would be awesome, but it points to what the problem is. Expectations...I dont think I'm alone on this thought. I sent a persoanl request in the past to the moderation team asking to think about changing the way we use the thanks button. The response was the thanks button is a way to show suppport and is not being used the way I mentioned to warrant changing. I wish the mod team to reconsider how the thanks button is used because it lists the names of the members. A happy medium would be to tally the
number of thanks from us instead of list names and would show true support of the thread. Names just set us up for questions.

I don't think we should change it. I want people to know that it is me who has thanked them if they have said something nice about someone else in a post.

donk
19th June 2012, 17:14
my ratio is pretty bad.

2k+ in 485 posts is "bad"??? what's that, about 4 per? Jeez, I know I'm newb, but I'd think that's pretty good. Don't mean to call you out--I can't thank you enough for YOUR posts (and pms!! thanks thanks thanks!!)...just trying to get a gauge...what's considered a good ratio around here?

Seriously, I like what AIJ says. I like thanking people, but I don't always remember to--it's (the forum feature, not expressing appreciation!) brand new to me. I'm flattered if I get any thanks at all, but don't take it personally if no one else cares to.

And if you are paying attention to ratio or whether you get enough appreciation or what this "clique" is doing or that attention whore blocking your insights...aren't you kinda missing the point of the forum?

I came here to learn mostly and try to share and help when I can, without any expectations....a thousand thank yous to everyone who's ever posted!! (and a couple extra for markpierre, a personal favorite--I'd go and jack your stats up but I know you don't need that!!)

Much love...

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 17:33
I think the thanks button is very useful. Over time, it helps to show how your writing is affecting others, and who is affected.

When you get the same people who are always thanking your posts, then you know that they like your writing and support you.

When you get someone who occasionally thanks you, then you know that this post touched them in a specific way and helped them, or that certain topics you are more versed in.

When you get a lot of thanks, and your "thanks to post" ratio is high, it tells you that your writing is good and that the subjects you are responding to are well researched and that you know what you are talking about.

When I see a really long post that I'm hesitating to read, I look at who has already read it and thanked it, and often that helps with my decision.

Even the lack of thanks tells you something. It tells you that there is little interest in the subject, or your point of view on it.

Without the thanks button, we would all be wandering aimlessly in the wilderness of ideas, without any sense of direction or how we are affecting others.

Go and look at some of the "thanks to post" ratios of some of the people you admire and tell me if this is not true.

If I have a vote, I say leave the thanks button alone, and be thankful for it, and thank this post so that my "thanks to post" count will go up!

Ki's
19th June 2012, 17:58
You want to legislate gratitude? What is this congress?

It's a button.
A courtesy and an expression of appreciation.

Watch...it's easy....

Jean-Marie
19th June 2012, 18:02
When I read a post that in my mind is something that I wanted to see, hear, that I appreciate I hit the thanks button. I do not post frequently but I find when I do, it is best to just put the post out there. I do not want to look back and see how much thanks i got. It is not a popularity contest in my opinion. There will always be people who appreciate and people who do not appreciate. I am not going to judge others and I do not want others judging me.

We all have free will to thank who or what comments we wish. I am in favor of leaving the thanks button just as it is.

sirdipswitch
19th June 2012, 19:09
Such a silly thread. chuckle chuckle

love and peace
sirdipswitch

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 19:09
You are 100% right mojo, there are the "games of avalon" that many play, some include thanks button games. But really, who cares? It's child minded people playing childish games.

All we can do is not act childish ourselves with the thanks button. If you observe carefully, you can see which members do it with an agenda, but often like minded people relate more to others of their mindedness, and thus it just looks that way.

If we all wake up to psychological games played here against members, we can nullify their effects, by recognizing them as games, then give them no attention or response. It's part of a process we must all go through if we are to "evolve" as a species.

sirdipswitch
19th June 2012, 19:13
OH WAIT!! I better write something meeningfull or I may not get my proper number of meeningfull thank you's... riiiight!

love and peace... anyway
sirdipswitch

Eram
19th June 2012, 19:29
Hmmm,

Can someone please explain to me which posts or which kind of posts are not useful? Because since I'm a heavy reader on this forum I'm getting a mouse arm, thanking al the posts that I've read.
Could save me a doctors bill If I simply knew which posts I'm allowed to skip for the 'thank you button'

:bounce:

Whiskey_Mystic
19th June 2012, 19:39
I use the Thanks button a little differently. I will often thank a post that makes a point I disagree with if I think the poster has added to the conversation in a constructive way. Integrity, respect, and a civil discourse will often get a thanks from me regardless of the points being made. How we come together as a community is more important to me than the details of any one conversation. I figure if we can form a foundation of civil respectful community, the rest will work itself out.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hmmm,

Can someone please explain to me which posts or which kind of posts are not useful? Because since I'm a heavy reader on this forum I'm getting a mouse arm, clicking al the posts that I've read.
Could save me a doctors bill If I simply knew which posts I'm allowed to skip for the 'thank you button'

Hi Waky,

*waves* :cool:

I think the best posts are the ones that stay on topic. Often a good thread can degenerate quickly into a topic that has more to do with the people posting than the subject of the thread. I know you have seen this. I am guilty myself. Posts that further the original conversation are the best ones, in my opinion.

Eram
19th June 2012, 19:54
I use the Thanks button a little differently. I will often thank a post that makes a point I disagree with if I think the poster has added to the conversation in a constructive way. Integrity, respect, and a civil discourse will often get a thanks from me regardless of the points being made. How we come together as a community is more important to me than the details of any one conversation. I figure if we can form a foundation of civil respectful community, the rest will work itself out.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hmmm,

Can someone please explain to me which posts or which kind of posts are not useful? Because since I'm a heavy reader on this forum I'm getting a mouse arm, clicking al the posts that I've read.

Hi Waky,

*waves* :cool:

I think the best posts are the ones that stay on topic. Often a good thread can degenerate quickly into a topic that has more to do with the people posting than the subject of the thread. I know you have seen this. I am guilty myself. Posts that further the original conversation are the best ones, in my opinion.

Very true Mystic,

and I honour you for the level of integrity and respect and lots of other good qualities you show in your posts on PA.
I'm not always that self restrained and get carried away sometimes when humour is making an entrance in the thread.

My messages was on topic though... but maybe not so well explained.

In my point of view every post is useful.
Or better said.. The awareness I wish to have sees all posts as useful, so I practice this viewpoint by clicking all posts as useful.

All opinions and feelings attached to the thank you button are mere reflections of the mind constructions and maybe not really important in the end.

For me personally... It gives me a warm feeling when someone clicked my post for 'thank you' because it's proof for me that I'm not all alone in the digital space meeting point of PA.

778 neighbour of some guy
19th June 2012, 20:12
Thanking does not mean i side with a person, i thank for the post it self, this by no means makes me guilty of taking sides or making pals by asociation, i dont need that egotrip and am not that important to be thanked for the crap that also flows out of my brain into the keyboard once in a while and what i say on the forum is highly filtered anyway, just as it should be, its no use to always be as blunt as your opinion no matter how eloquantly stated. DO NOT TAKE BEING TAKEN SERIOUS SO BLOODY SERIOUS, IF YOU DO THERE IS THE DANGER OF BECOMING DEPENDED ON OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS OF YOU, VERY POSSIBLE FOR NO OTHER REASON OF THE FEAR IN YOUR OWN MIND OF BEING REJECTED, and thats how most problems start, you cannot be friends with everybody, and how a thank you can and is interpreted is very personal.

You should always thank yourself, because whatever you said or thanked for, to you this meant something at that time and it was important to say it out loud, this should at least be applauded by you, yourself, you are doing just fine, continue.

I get no thanks for plenty of posts, thats okay, apparently what i said was not interesting or maybe just plain bs or just me having a bit of fun....................... there is too much serious stuff going on on this forum and i have only one brain occupying my skull at this time, lets not worry about who aproves of what/why/how, if your pc and the thanks you get on forums rule your life..........................................please get a second hobby............. .

Step out your front door, take deep breath, look around, feed some birds in the park or your balcony, experience real life, smile at strangers, fart in an elevator do something else besides sitting at your desk, all this condensed information you are processing is so much bigger then you, do not forget to see the beauty of life and people.

Thanx;)

PS.

If there is someone you should all thank, that would be Ron Mauer, his information about responsable sustainable living in every situation incluiding SHTF is the most valuable i found on this forum, if the sky drops on our heads, greys **** on your lawn, the GFL declares us beyond saving, when no more money is around, you will eat and survive when prepared to live, fight, love for just another day. Please check out the off grid forum, no matter what happens, no matter who is in charge, you need roof and a meal, year round, thats what most important.

Maia Gabrial
19th June 2012, 20:24
Sorry, mojo, but I think the "Thanks" button is another way of saying, "I agree with you, but I don't have any comments to share".... When I see many thank you's on a thread, I see alot of people in agreement with the OP. It's another way of saying, "Good job" and "I appreciate that information". Alot can be said just by pressing that Thank you button....

markpierre
19th June 2012, 21:33
my ratio is pretty bad.

2k+ in 485 posts is "bad"??? what's that, about 4 per? Jeez, I know I'm newb, but I'd think that's pretty good. Don't mean to call you out--I can't thank you enough for YOUR posts (and pms!! thanks thanks thanks!!)...just trying to get a gauge...what's considered a good ratio around here?

Seriously, I like what AIJ says. I like thanking people, but I don't always remember to--it's (the forum feature, not expressing appreciation!) brand new to me. I'm flattered if I get any thanks at all, but don't take it personally if no one else cares to.

And if you are paying attention to ratio or whether you get enough appreciation or what this "clique" is doing or that attention whore blocking your insights...aren't you kinda missing the point of the forum?

I came here to learn mostly and try to share and help when I can, without any expectations....a thousand thank yous to everyone who's ever posted!! (and a couple extra for markpierre, a personal favorite--I'd go and jack your stats up but I know you don't need that!!)

Much love...

Ya you're right, it's better than it was. But it should be a gazillion. I should start a bunch of OPs that thank Bill in the title.
But I don't really know him.

Hint for the numbers sensitive: large quantities of OPs really get your numbers up, no matter how inane they are.

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 21:49
Hint for the numbers sensitive: large quantities of OPs really get your numbers up, no matter how inane they are.

yea, I've noticed that. I've tried a few OP's to get my "thanks to post" ratio up but they flopped, kinda like the new Tom Cruise movie "Rock of Ages". So, I'm grinding out the thanks one post at a time, and it is tough to get my thanks per post ratio above 5.126875.

firstlook
19th June 2012, 22:02
How one uses a tool is their own preference. That said, if you see something that you want to influence (peoples choices and behavior) I don't think you should structure things "around them". Its a genuine effort IMO, but your really just looking to satisfy your own desire. That said again, We are tribal. We tend to like certain opinions and ideas more then others.

Balance........I don't think its something structural. Its more fluid and has to be found through practice. A Structure can only choose something for you, then you move on to the next problem. Thanking someone should be something that is shared through all types of systems. Its just the ability to give someone some of your energy. That is Free Will.

IMO.

DouglasDanger
19th June 2012, 22:16
Many many times I see a person in the thanks section also add a one line post of " I like your post thanks!!" adding nothing to the conversation and mooting the point of the thanks button, I don't care mind you, it just looks like but kissery when I see that or post count mining..

What I'd like to see is an "I disagree" button added because not every post/topic is worth adding a rude/mean/ arguementative/whiney responce and sometimes you just need to know that someone disagrees with what your saying with out geting into an arguement with them. This would follow along the words of wisdom my grandfather use to use.. " I do not have anything nice to say, so I will not say anything at all", and just click I Disagree.

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 22:21
Such a silly thread. chuckle chuckle

love and peace
sirdipswitch

Wow, sirdipswitch, and you have a fairly respectable "thanks to post" ratio of 4.5698924. Now, I will tell ya, getting over the 5 per post ratio is tough. If you do your due diligence and research, and are cognizant of those who have ratios above 5, you will realize that this group is very well read, has a firm grasp on linguistics, and understands the etymology of the subject matter and the conjugation of the words and how they are put together.

Are you up to the task of moving your ratio to the next level?

Anchor
19th June 2012, 22:56
The thanks button is DEFINED by the software to mean a certain thing and it says it under each thanked post

The Following User Says Thank You to ***** For This Useful Post:

People can make up their own meaning, but its pretty clear what it was supposed to mean.

You are not your post count

You are not your join date

You are not your thanks count

You are not your thanks to post ratio

Games will be played because there are games players here.

LOL

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 23:09
You are not your post count

You are not your join date

You are not your thanks count

You are not your thanks to post ratio

Games will be played because there are games players here.

LOL

Now Anchor, I'm not going to thank your last post. I want to, but I'm having trouble with the underlying context and meaning. You have a very high "thanks to post" ratio of 5.66, which is fairly good, but if you are not going to play along with the humor and you continue to place ultimatums on what we are not, relative to the thanks button, I can assure you, your thanks to post ratio will go down. :rolleyes:

Is that what you want?

Fred Steeves
19th June 2012, 23:12
So, I'm grinding out the thanks one post at a time, and it is tough to get my thanks per post ratio above 5.126875.

I trust that's just an approximation Mr. Spock... http://www.bigtenfever.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 23:17
So, I'm grinding out the thanks one post at a time, and it is tough to get my thanks per post ratio above 5.126875.

I trust that's just an approximation Mr. Spock... http://www.bigtenfever.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I suppose you grabbed a calculator and checked, did ya? Well then you would know, that it has gone up today and is now at 5.1387362. Oh, I know that doesn't seem like much, but like I said, getting one's post count higher after you reach the 5 ratio is very difficult.

Been contemplating a couple OP's which might help. Got any ideas?

1inMany
19th June 2012, 23:30
Oh, wow, you mean there is such a thing as a post to thanks ratio?

Buahahahahahahaha

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 23:32
Tips to up your post vs thanks ratio:

I'd say be the first or second to comment on any new thread -- that helps as it gets you more traffic for potential "thanks", or how about starting as many threads as possible? Surely that will up your ratio. There's always the groupie option - try to secure some pretend "fame and celebrity status" then watch them follow you around just thanking everything you say, or maybe pay off a few who need the money anyway?

Just some options ... ;) Hehehe

ADDITION:
Yaaaa, like that ratio is really a good indicator for anything ..... ;) -- maybe I'm just pissed because my ratio is low ... the staff like me though, does that count? ;) lol ...

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 23:33

Buahahahahahahaha

Wow, your thanks to post ratio is the highest I have seen yet, 10.375262, and with a post count of only 487. That means you have only ten posts that have not been thanked.

That's impressive. I'm going to go look at your posts now and see what all the fuss is about!

1inMany
19th June 2012, 23:34

Buahahahahahahaha

Wow, your thanks to post ratio is the highest I have seen yet, 10.375262, and with a post count of only 487. That means you have only ten posts that have not been thanked.

That's impressive. I'm going to go look at your posts now and see what all the fuss is about!

LMAO

Well, I was going to say LMAO, but it was too short, so now I have to explain why the LMAO is now a paragraph.

Aw, now I have to go find those 10 posts.....

Anchor
19th June 2012, 23:38
Now Anchor, I'm not going to thank your last post. I want to, but I'm having trouble with the underlying context and meaning. You have a very high "thanks to post" ratio of 5.66, which is fairly good, but if you are not going to play along with the humor and you continue to place ultimatums on what we are not, relative to the thanks button, I can assure you, your thanks to post ratio will go down.

Is that what you want?

Seriously, I don't care, do your worst :)

Fred Steeves
19th June 2012, 23:38

I suppose you grabbed a calculator and checked, did ya? Well then you would know, that it has gone up today and is now at 5.1387362. Oh, I know that doesn't seem like much, but like I said, getting one's post count higher after you reach the 5 ratio is very difficult.

Eh, being a simple man, it's all pretty much just straight forward for me gripreaper.

1 "Thanks" in purple = 1 point.

1"Thanks" in yellow = 5 points.

1 "Thanks" in red = 10 points.

1 "Thanks" in blue = 25 points.

1 "Thanks" from Bill (in red) himself? Even better than getting that ever elusive gold star as a kid. You remember? On that chart your parents made, that when you have aquired 30 of them, you get to go to Disney World or something?

Come to think of it, do ya'll want to know what my pet peeve is now? Why the bloody hell can't we thank our own selves on a post well written? That's what I wanna know...

Why, my thanks to post ratio could most certainly be enhanced over time...

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 23:40
Now Anchor, I'm not going to thank your last post. I want to, but I'm having trouble with the underlying context and meaning. You have a very high "thanks to post" ratio of 5.66, which is fairly good, but if you are not going to play along with the humor and you continue to place ultimatums on what we are not, relative to the thanks button, I can assure you, your thanks to post ratio will go down.

Is that what you want?

He should have used the sarcasm font ... ;) I don't think a response was needed ;) My 2 cents.

1inMany
19th June 2012, 23:40

Eh, being a simple man, it's all pretty much just straight forward for me gripreaper.

1 "Thanks" in purple = 1 point.

1"Thanks" in yellow = 5 points.

1 "Thanks" in red = 10 points.

1 "Thanks" in blue = 25 points.

1 "Thanks" from Bill (in red) himself? Even better than getting that ever elusive gold star as a kid. You know, on that chart your parents made, that when you have aquired 30 of them, you get to go to Disney World or something?

Come to think of it, do ya'll want to know what my pet peeve is now? Why the bloody hell can't we thank our own selves on a post well written? That's what I wanna know...

Where have I been? Under a rock? There are COLORS of thanks? I am really watching the wrong stuff around here!

Anchor
19th June 2012, 23:41

Is that what you want?

He should have used the sarcasm font ... ;) I don't think a response was needed ;) My 2 cents.

LOL, I know.

Here is another he doesn't need to thank :)

1inMany
19th June 2012, 23:42

Is that what you want?

Oh! Oh! Yes! People would soooooo get me if there was a sarcasm font!!! or maybe an "I'm being funny" font!

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 23:43
Anyone who can make me giggle even a little - whether intentional or not can expect a thanks from me ;)

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 23:43

Now Fred, your thanks to post ratio isn't bad. I'd love to have a 6.7952127. You realize how close that is to 7?:high5: ;) :whoo:

1inMany
19th June 2012, 23:44
Anyone who can make me giggle even a little - whether intentional or not can expect a thanks from me ;)

Okay, what kind of a sense of humor do you have? Ready.

gripreaper...get ready...

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 23:47
Many many times I see a person in the thanks section also add a one line post of " I like your post thanks!!" adding nothing to the conversation and mooting the point of the thanks button, I don't care mind you, it just looks like but kissery when I see that or post count mining..

What I'd like to see is an "I disagree" button added because not every post/topic is worth adding a rude/mean/ arguementative/whiney responce and sometimes you just need to know that someone disagrees with what your saying with out geting into an arguement with them. This would follow along the words of wisdom my grandfather use to use.. " I do not have anything nice to say, so I will not say anything at all", and just click I Disagree.

Or just move on and find info that works for you -- even easier!!! It's called keeping the "noise to signal" ratio low.

gripreaper
19th June 2012, 23:50

Is that what you want?

LOL, I know.

Here is another he doesn't need to thank :)

Sorry Anchor, I'm thanking this one and there's nothing you can do about it.:p

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Is that what you want?

Oh! Oh! Yes! People would soooooo get me if there was a sarcasm font!!! or maybe an "I'm being funny" font!

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/buttersnap/gifs/strofl.gif

DeDukshyn
19th June 2012, 23:50
^ POST UPDATE: Fail

Edit:
^ Edited POST UPDATE: Win!

UPDATE: Yes! Four Thanks! that's gonna increase my "ratio!" --- just post useless BS! -- that s the secret! ;)

er ... no offense to the "thankers" ;)

modwiz
20th June 2012, 07:14

Now Fred, your thanks to post ratio isn't bad. I'd love to have a 6.7952127. You realize how close that is to 7?:high5: ;) :whoo:

If I did the math correctly, (pretty sure I did), 8.169014. Must be the thanxhex.

markpierre
20th June 2012, 07:42
Well, I think we've adequately 'undone' the issue again, though I don't remember it being this fun before. But no disrespect to mojo of course, because it is kind of an odd thing wondering if anyone hears you at times, or why people seem to love things that you consider idiotic.
Then we have those game ruining individuals who just chronically thank everyone for no apparent reason other than to be grateful for everything.That makes me suspicious.

And since I've chosen to threaten my numbers further by posting so late into a thread that probably has a limited life and readership, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone in the world even if they're not here to thank me for it, for daring to come into this ridiculous paradigm, to help try to sort it out. God bless ya.
If it's just sheer audacity or an innocent mistake, that's okay by me.

THANKS!

lookbeyond
20th June 2012, 07:48
Thanks for the laughs I had in reading through this thread, just what I needed today!

On a serious note though, I can see the good and evil of the thanks button, but thats just 3 D isnt it?

In my sincerest font,

Kind Reguards, iookbeyond

gripreaper
20th June 2012, 07:56

If I did the math correctly, (pretty sure I did), 8.169014. Must be the thanxhex.

I took the 10,258 thanks that Fred has gotten in 1505 posts, and divided 10,258 by 1505 to get the thanks per post ratio of 6.81. Did I do the math wrong?

Not that I don't think Fred deserves a higher thanks to post ratio, because he does.

modwiz
20th June 2012, 08:05

I took the 10,258 thanks that Fred has gotten in 1505 posts, and divided 10,258 by 1505 to get the thanks per post ratio of 6.81. Did I do the math wrong?

I was referring to my own ratio, where I divided my thanks given to others by the number of my posts. If I use your formula then my ratio will drop a bit to 7.5718034
Thanxhex still fairly effective. LOL

Sorry for my lack of clarity as to who the formula was being applied to.

Whiskey_Mystic
20th June 2012, 08:23
I'm always shocked when people thank my post. I'm like "Someone actually took the time to read that?" Yeah, I still have issues.

Instead of thanks, I wish we had little gifts we could give each other like puppies, cake, and flowers. Emoticons aren't enough. Someday when we all have replicators, we can actually send each other cookies.

markpierre
20th June 2012, 08:29
When I do the math for myself I fudge it a little, in case someone out there was sick on any of the days that I felt particularly brilliant.
And what about guests?

Maybe if we offer new members a bonus of a thousand thanks or so, so they don't get caught up in this problem.

Hmmmm, Modwiz raised a startling issue with me. If I work out my thanks received/thanks given statistic,
I don't deserve to be here.

But I do agree that Fred deserves a puppy.

ulli
20th June 2012, 08:31
Anyone who needs to increase their ratio just post "goodnight, folks!" on the Here and Now thread ...you'll be surprised how many people will show you gratitude

Curt
20th June 2012, 08:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0&feature=player_embedded

God bless and all, but really, really....

:p

modwiz
20th June 2012, 08:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0&feature=player_embedded

God bless and all, but really, really....

:p

The OP cares. Really cares. Probably needs a hug.

Mad Hatter
20th June 2012, 12:05
Thanks one and all thats another 56 posts added to the tally...some good, some bad, some funny... sh!t eh, bit like life really.

DeDukshyn
30th August 2012, 03:46
OMG! They changed the way the "thanks" calculates! I definitely lost ratio here ... lol ;) ;) ;) <heads back over to "Here and Now">

Rocky_Shorz
30th August 2012, 05:40
I like the thanks button to see who is brave enough to like my posts...

one of my favorite recently was a joking comment I made to Eagle, she's a big girl and most likely laughed seeing it, but who was brave enough to click thanks...

1 person...

I wouldn't change a thing...

when she gets back she most likely will want to kick my butt, but it's ok, if it is a reason for her to drop back in, I welcome it...

lookbeyond
30th August 2012, 05:54
Yes , Mojo i understand your point of view. I also agree that every post is useful .The game players have a bit of evolving to do,

Kind Reguards lookbeyond

modwiz
30th August 2012, 06:09

one of my favorite recently was a joking comment I made to Eagle, she's a big girl and most likely laughed seeing it, but who was brave enough to click thanks...

1 person...

when she gets back she most likely will want to kick my butt, but it's ok, if it is a reason for her to drop back in, I welcome it...

I would welcome her back as well. Not too sure about that opportunity presenting itself.

Rocky_Shorz
30th August 2012, 06:19

1 person...

I would welcome her back as well. Not too sure about that opportunity presenting itself.

well, she deserves a sub forum for her training with a disclaimer that finger screws are getting off easy...

ThePythonicCow
30th August 2012, 06:21
I am closing this thread at the request of the original poster.