PDA

View Full Version : earth hour lights off farce

john.d
24th March 2010, 21:26
I dont normaly have a rant , but this turning your lights off for an hour on saturday night has got me standing on my soap box !
Ive heard a few people locally talking about it as if they are doing something to save the planet . I think its a total sharade giving themselves a pat on the back while still living totaly toxic lives , throwing tonnes of waste in landfill sites , using enormous amounts of fuel and putting chemicals down the drains etc etc .
How TPTB get 3D sheeple to feel good about doing nothing to stop the machine ....... then back to buiseness , turn the tv back on and put a ready meal in the microwave and turn the central heating up !
sigh
I wish more people would wake up .

Sigh

John

K626
24th March 2010, 21:53
I dont normaly have a rant , but this turning your lights off for an hour on saturday night has got me standing on my soap box !
Ive heard a few people locally talking about it as if they are doing something to save the planet . I think its a total sharade giving themselves a pat on the back while still living totaly toxic lives , throwing tonnes of waste in landfill sites , using enormous amounts of fuel and putting chemicals down the drains etc etc .
How TPTB get 3D sheeple to feel good about doing nothing to stop the machine ....... then back to buiseness , turn the tv back on and put a ready meal in the microwave and turn the central heating up !
sigh
I wish more people would wake up .

Sigh

John

Bit harsh on yer local Derbyshirians...:p

ArtyCarl
24th March 2010, 22:04
I'm with you John, I know some people will say 'it's a start' but there are a thousand office blocks in London with their lights blazing at all hours. It would be better to pass a law that all office buildings should shut off their lights (if not in use of course).

K626
24th March 2010, 22:07
I'm with you John, I know some people will say 'it's a start' but there are a thousand office blocks in London with their lights blazing at all hours. It would be better to pass a law that all office buildings should shut off their lights (if not in use of course).

That bothers me when I see that.

morguana
24th March 2010, 23:29
hi john d, wow that was the shortest rant i have ever seen, :bounce: lol, i agree to an extent with your sentiments (where is swami when one needs him? he had an interesting link re wwf) however the hopless romantic hippy in me says rock on candle power :hippie:. how i see it is this, any awareness of what humans are doing in a distructive manner is cool with me, i long for a world where folks live in harmony with the planet. i agree its all a bit just tolken gesture, but the idea of a mass directing of energy to a more positive way of living is good, even though its only for an hour. so i will be lighting a candle, and meditating on a cleaner planet for my future grandchildren. i try hard not to use too much electricity anyway, use candles, carpet sweeper, elbow greese, no power tools or kitchen things eg bread makers, blenders etc, ok things take longer to do but its in my eyes worth it (ok i know i am on a comp and internet)

much love m x

ArtyCarl
24th March 2010, 23:55
I have been thinking about this tonight and I have come to the personal conclusion that most people will only make an effort if it affects them personally. For instance if we had mass power cuts because we were using up too much energy then people would soon learn to switch off unnecessary electricals. I am sitting here in front of my laptop and looking around me it is embarrassing how much power I am consuming...shame on me...gonna turn off a few things to make me feel less guilty lol.

Humble Janitor
25th March 2010, 00:24
Yeah because anything you disagree with is a farce. You'd be surprised because I think it's a crock too. It's not going to do much to alleviate climate change. Just another empty way for people to pat themselves on the back.

Burke
25th March 2010, 01:43
when I go the the supermarket/grocery store and see all the soda cans, bottles, cereal boxes, plastic wrappings, cellophane sealers, colorful packaging that once bought is then brought home just to be removed and tossed in the garbage I just cringe at the waste...and to think this is going on all over the industrialized world, and that all that I saw in the store was but a mere drop in the ocean of wastefulness

it is mind boggling to to try and imagine how much we throw away in our lifetime, and how many people are doing it (myself included)

this simply cannot be sustained

and I seriously doubt turning the lights off for an hour will make any noticeable dent in it at all

sigh

THE eXchanger
25th March 2010, 02:00
i agree, with the rest of you - for one hour pointless

Swami
25th March 2010, 11:11
A farce.....?
Its a good lesson for things to come. Try it, pull out the fuses for a day....

Take a look at this 1001 Club, thats a farce...!

Background of the WWF and the 1001 Club

In 1948, the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) was erected, mainly by Sir Julian Huxley, a famous biologist. Later, in September 1961, Julian Huxley officially established the WWF, together with persons like Prince Bernhard and Prince Philip. Ten years later, around 1971, WWF officials Anton Rupert, Prince Philip, and Prince Bernhard came together and decided to form a club that would cover the administrative and fundraising aspects of the WWF, making the organization's existence independent from donations of the general public. Anton Rupert is said to have been the one who came up with the idea. Bernhard became the "figurehead" of the organization, a role similar to his role in the Bilderberg meetings. Bernhard was well liked, knew many people on both sides of the Atlantic, and as a prince, was considered neutral. Anton Rupert appointed the Belgian economist Charles de Haes as Bernhard's personal assistant. Bernhard and de Haes would approach most of the individuals who would be invited to the 1001 Club, which mainly were friends and associates of the two princes. In 1974, all the members were recruited, each of them having paid the one-time contribution of $10,000 to the Club's "1001 Nature Trust". From this point on, we have very little information on how the club organizes its meetings and how much each of the members keep contributing.

Source: http://www.isgp.eu/organisations/1001_Club.htm

whiterose
25th March 2010, 12:41
I totall agree that this is ridiculous, John, it is just something to give the sheeple the impression they are doing something to help. I was thinking about the candles that will be lit instead of the lightbulbs, won't they be adding far more carbon to the atmosphere in the form of smoke?

john.d
25th March 2010, 12:45
I lived in my van for a year , i know what living without power is like . The point is , we should be stopping the destruction of our rainforests and sea's etc , not telling people to turn their lights off for an hour to make them feel like they are actually making a difference when they are not .
If we managed to stop the free energy suppression alone , it would make a massive difference to our planet . We need change , not a pat on the back for the good work we are (not) doing .
Thats just my opinion of course but it has rattled my cage a bit .

John

MorningSong
25th March 2010, 16:29
Since this "drill" has been done for a few years now, might it be just that...a "drill".

Maybe "someone" needs the electricity feed to be low during that hour?

What if next year "they" tell "us" to prolong the absence of electricity to 3 or more hours?

What if it becomes a monthly/weekly thing?

Maybe it's just to help people adapt to a "potential" black-out getting them used to have other electrical resources or at least doing without for a "while"?

Just thinking (writing) out loud...

PINEAL-PILOT-IN MERKABAH
25th March 2010, 23:55
its not the carbon that the matter but the lack of oxygen, down to 10%!!!!!! in some large cities on earth. lights off is jsut part of the propaganda machine so that we can feel better when the green nazis come in your house and inspect every aspect of your existence. real pollution is not being adressed. i doint like peoples good will and hope for a better planet beiong mis directed by banking and corporate oligarchs for their own gain.

as ive stated we have the tech and finances to clean the plastic patch (twice the size of texas) between the atlantic and the pacific. do we hear about it on msm news ? NO!! becuase it will coist them to clean it up without making any profit. we cant be taxed or enslaved by cleaning up a dirty ocean. the elites really could care less about the enviroment, which brings us round to the 2012, earth , D.U.M.B.S they know something is coming so its too late to do anything about it?

rosie
26th March 2010, 02:07
For some of us it will seem senseless, here in Ontario, you are just asked to turn off your lights,
but not the t.v. :confused:

But, if this little ritual just happens to open and wake up another person, or child, just by the
act of having to think about the lack of power, then I have to say that all is not lost, some just
need to catch up a bit, and if this gives a little push, more power to it.

love & light