PDA

View Full Version : Chickens vs Gold

Czarek
5th July 2012, 02:42
An interesting piece that came out on the main stream media in Canada (CBC radio one).

Here’s the link to upload the podcast:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/media/audioplayer.html?categoryid=2245708998

“In Episode Two we try to tally up the value, price and utility of two commodities. When the gold standard of economic backup plans goes up against one of the most fowl, it's a tough job to determine who'll come out on top.
We hear from an urban agriculture advocate, a doomsday prepper, and we even call on a CBC Radio superstar for a little help. In the end, it's up to an economist to judge which commodity would be most valuable when traditional economies fail -- for example, in the case of a zombie apocalypse.”

I’m beginning to see a major push of the media to push people into selling all their gold for fiat. Recently, MSN news was pushing a story of gold going down to $700 yet strangely enough, central banks like for example China are buying gold at an unprecedented levels...

the_vast_mystery
5th July 2012, 19:36
I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, Gold is a trap. It has no intrinsic utility towards supporting human life and as such it's utterly worthless as a universal commodity. Grain, if we made money based on exchanges of healthy foods, such as wheat, vegetables, fruit, etc. we could set up a system of exchange designed around the maintenance of life rather than the maintenance of vanity.

Czarek
5th July 2012, 22:51
...a system of exchange designed around the maintenance of life rather than the maintenance of vanity.

I couldn't agree more.