PDA

View Full Version : Retired Graffiti Artists being rounded for the Olympics

Soul Safari
18th July 2012, 12:56
Whats interesting in this case is that these people have been out of the game 10 years or more.

Please read as it makes an interesting case-

http://www.thelondonvandal.com/2012/07/graffiti-raids-across-london-as-police-sanitise-city-ready-for-olympics/

danceblackcatdance
18th July 2012, 13:29
This is what I don't get about the police in the uk, but maybe they are just as thick all over the world!

How is rounding up old retired graffiti artists going to stop the yout from doing it. Furthermore (not that I'm a psychologist) surely it really ups the anti for anyone with a political street art agenda and will make them want to do it even more?

Soul Safari
18th July 2012, 15:43
The police here have been on a major crackdown on all illegal for Graffiti Artists for the last 5 years or so with 2-3 year stretches being handed out to the writers who paint on London Underground.

Sounds like a good old fashion excuse to make up stats in run up to the Olympics. Also some people will be accused of 'inciting' graf through websites and mags. Even though they are just documenting an artform. The world has gone mad.

Draconian measures are in full force!

shadowstalker
18th July 2012, 15:54
Made me sick reading the story, knowing they should be after child molesters and murderers and rapists.

Maia Gabrial
18th July 2012, 16:05
Made me sick reading the story, knowing they should be after child molesters and murderers and rapists.

Yeah, I agree with you, Shadowstalker. They SHOULD be going after REAL criminals, if they know what one looks like.... (sorry, I couldn't resist that last comment!)

ThePythonicCow
18th July 2012, 17:16
They SHOULD be going after REAL criminals, ...
Their boss's boss's ... boss?

eni-al
19th July 2012, 03:27
Those arrests seems seem unlawful.
This seems like the idea of the Olympic organisers in requests with the police commissioner or just the London authorities attempting 'clean' up London to present it at its best. Police don't normally care about these minor crimes that happened more than 5 years ago, or they'd already dealt with it. Bureaucrats are in charge of the police these days, setting goals and targets, and getting in the way of actual urgent police work.
Those arrested should challenge their arrests in court, especially when their personal items have been seized.

Soul Safari
19th July 2012, 08:30
Another one from the Guardian-

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/artanddesign/2012/jul/18/graffiti-artist-adidas-banned-olympic

After speaking with a friend who was in the policeforce he said- What a total waste of time and effort which could of been spent on better things such as project Trident.

PHARAOH
19th July 2012, 12:01
It is now official, "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words". My oh my how the culture has grown. God bless creativity. :wizard: