PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Kelly's Rousing Floor Speech - Let American Job Creators Breath!

Alie
27th July 2012, 00:06
Out of the Woodworks ... slowly, but surely (?)

F1YQDjpuY_U

An American Cry for JOBS ---- Partisanship Not Welcome Here ...

GoodETxSG
27th July 2012, 00:35
This is all starting to leak out to the main stream media... finally. We just need to KEEP THE HEAT on them. We will soon be posting new petition and email campaign info as well as protest ideas. We just need more people following this group and we can use resources from the Tea Party, Occupy and other groups. THEY win as long as they can keep us arguing with each other.
WE need to come together with people we wouldn't normally work with to bring these criminals DOWN! Spread the word, others have carried the load of exposing this activity. Now we the people NEED to come out and make it a major issue in the news and in this political cycle.
www.facebook.com/BankAndPoliticianFinancialCorruption

the_vast_mystery
27th July 2012, 02:05
Um, Demand creates jobs, not Rich people, not a lack of regulations. Regulations can cost businesses money, and can make the operations of large businesses more complicated. However what's often left out when talking about regulations are specifics...because regulations get very specific about to whom they apply and under what conditions they apply. It's a lot like pork-barrel spending last election, it makes a great sound byte to campaign on until you realize that Earmarks (a more formal way of referring to them) are around 1% of the Federal budget and that targeting them will do very little to reduce waste.

Similarly the regulations that are most often fought against are safety regulations for large industrial companies. These are not mom and pop businesses getting plowed under by 1100 pages of regulations (I do love that he cited a bank as one of his sources of frustration though. Yes, I certainly hope the bankers are having a tough time legalese-ing their way around the latest regulations.) these are large companies that make hefty profits and are often complaining because if they could just "cut costs" more (which by "cut costs" they mean "Stop paying to keep their employees safe") they could issue a new round of bonuses or dividends. There's always room though to target specific regulations because there are most certainly very bad ones as well but trying to decry "Regulation" on a whole is like running a campaign against non-electronic money since it can be used to buy hookers and crack. (As in: Throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater.)

But I digress, lack of regulation does not directly create jobs. It might allow some people who were planning to do very unsafe or unhealthy things to start a business but other then that the effects are rather minimal. (Again, always room to cut out bad regulations that make no sense.) Neither too, do Rich investors create jobs. They do provide money but they only invest when they're sure they'll see a good return. They'll only see a good return if there are enough consumers with enough money who want to buy a good or service. So demand is what starts it, then an entrepreneur capitalizes on that demand (usually with the help of investors) and this in turn keeps the economy going.

If we want to create jobs we need more people to have disposable income they're willing to spend. Then businesses can appear to serve their needs, lather, rinse, repeat. Of course if you look at where all of the money is going:
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1934recoverychart.png it's obviously not flowing back into the hands of the people. Corporate profits are at the highest level they've been at since 1950 and yet real wages have remained stagnant (since the Carter administration) for anyone but the top 1% http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O4mvIVsUTB4/T42kc0eNWrI/AAAAAAAAGFo/EI08Hkw03Gw/s1600/Inequality+1.png

So there's not a lot of people with a lot of money right now, and that means a dwindling pool of customers for many businesses and a lot tougher of a sell to convince someone in say Venture Capital that you've got a business plan worth investing in. So the idea that if we simply burned government to the ground there'd be prosperity is patently silly. Burning government into the ground would, if done immediately, just give the people with all of the money even more power over our lives. That doesn't mean that Demand is always the problem either, but clearly those at the top have already made out quite handsomely after 2008 and the people below them not so much. So it seems sensible to focus our efforts there right now if we're serious not just about employing people but also paying them a living wage and ensuring they have a decent standard of living. We're not going to get that by removing the last checks and balances that prevent large businesses from employing their vast amounts of money to disenfranchise workers and force them to work in unsafe/unhealthy environments. (Which is not to say that was what was directly being advocated for either, but when a lack of specifics is present I can only respond to the general idea of removing all regulation, or at least removing the vast majority of it haphazardly as the speech would seem to suggest.)

Alie
27th July 2012, 02:14
Thank you The Vast Mystery for your information.

When I post videos such as these --- the content is important, but what I feel is even more important is what is happening when folks choose to speak out against the outrageous BS in congress and politics. The clapping of this Representative's speech (passion) gives me a little hope.

GoodETxSG
27th July 2012, 02:28
10,000 to be taken in Mass Arrests for crimes against humanity.
Hmm, I have hard lots of rumors of this happening for almost a year now. We shall see...
IF this were to happen how would YOU react?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eKhTUU35X4&feature=player_embedded

CdnSirian
29th July 2012, 02:04
My income and hours are down...yet every day on the way to work I see Bentleys and Rolls Royces that were not visible in my 'hood a few years ago.