PDA

View Full Version : New Moore Island disspaeared

kinsuemei2
25th March 2010, 13:41
In the bay of Bengal New Moore Island is about 2 meters above sea level it is claimed by both Bangladesh and India, except it's completely disappeared, this is proof that the sea level is rising, now I am not on board with global warming, hell after this past winter I doubt anybody in the USA or most of Europe can say it was warm winter.

I find this very interesting and wanted to share it so if anybody has interest they can do some research just in case they missed the MSN Article this morning.

New Moore Island was uninhabited, but of course slightly larger island that are inhabited are worried, if the some more of the polar icecaps melt, which is part of the earths life cycle in my opinion, not global warming, then they to might be submerged. I feel this is a situation that is worth just keeping an eye on in the future.

MorningSong
25th March 2010, 17:09
Yes, I think it's worth keeping a watch on, too.

Here's an article from 2005: "Disappearing Island Nations"

http://itotd.com/articles/499/disappearing-island-nations/

tone3jaguar
25th March 2010, 18:09
The oceans did not go up 2 meters. If it did then the entire Southern tip of Florida would be under water.

Swami
25th March 2010, 18:14
The oceans did not go up 2 meters. If it did then the entire Southern tip of Florida would be under water.

Yep, my thoughts.......

The land must have sunk.

MorningSong
25th March 2010, 18:40
I think this is probably what's happening:

Could islands be swamped because of sinking land and not by rising sea levels?
Scientific study into sea level changes indicate global warming is not to blame

Published: 12:02AM GMT 14 Dec 2009

SIR – Neil Tweedie reports (Features, December 10) that global warming is responsible for sea-level rises that are making the small Pacific Carteret Islands uninhabitable.

However, according to S. J. Holgate, a recognised world authority in geophysical research at the UK-based Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory in Liverpool, in his paper published in 2007, the following results represent the most comprehensive measurements of decadal sea-level change rates during the 20th century.

Between 1904 and 1953 global sea levels rose by 2.03 mm per year, whereas from 1954 to 2003 they rose by only 1.45 mm per year, giving an annual mean rate of 1.74 mm per year over the 100 years to 2003, or seven inches per century. Importantly, there was no increase in the rate of change over the whole century.

Therefore, the most likely cause of the Carteret Islands' inundation is land movement resulting from tectonics, and does not have anything to do with global warming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/6803669/Could-islands-be-swamped-because-of-sinking-land-and-not-by-rising-sea-levels.html

That's pretty much what the link in my previous post says, too.

Swanny
25th March 2010, 19:01
Yep, my thoughts.......

The land must have sunk.

Yea that's more likely

Swami
25th March 2010, 19:19
....and when the Earth is expanding, land will drop in several places.

So maybe its wise to look for more places where this is happening so we get an overall view......

kinsuemei2
25th March 2010, 19:51
Yes that makes more sense that it sunk, with all the tectonic activity with earthquakes happening on a daily to weekly basis, a lot of shifting seems to be happening. However as the ice caps do seem to be reduced and melting, then surely the ice cubes in a glass theory must hold some weight? as that water must be dispersed some how and make an impact even if it's small?

Humble Janitor
26th March 2010, 06:25
It could be anything but sounds more like the land is sinking than the oceans are rising, etc.

sygh
25th July 2010, 15:59
Would it be alright if i cited the story of Tecumseh which is contained in the book "The Frontiersmen"?

http://www.ratical.com/ratville/Tecumseh.html

If you haven't read it already, it's an amazing read.