PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower - can be seen across the Globe

nenosema
14th August 2012, 01:39
Space enthusiasts who have spent the past few days admiring the stunning images of Martian landscapes beamed from NASA's Curiosity would have been well-advised to peel their eyes from their computer screens and look up into the night sky to catch a glimpse of one of the most spectacular celestial light shows.

Stargazers in the U.S. and other parts of the northern hemisphere who stayed up late this weekend were treated to the dazzling Perseid meteor shower.

The annual display peaked early Sunday morning, providing a dazzling spectacle from California to Holland, from Hungary to the Canary Islands off the African coast, MSNBC reported.

Link with pictures here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2187494/Stunning-photos-capture-annual-Perseid-meteor-shower-blazing-star-spangled-skies.html)

__

The Perseid Meteor Shower occurs each August as
the Earth, following its normal orbit around the Sun,
intersects the orbit of dust particles left behind by
comet Swift-Tuttle. Think of this event as a car on
a road driving through a chute of snowflakes. In the
case of the meteor shower, these dust particles --
all of them tiny specks -- become extremely hot as
they hit the Earth's upper atmosphere at speesd of
20-50 miles per second. The hot particle generates
a streak of light before the particle is obliterated.

The best time of the night to observe the event
is when your viewing point is facing into the dust
stream, much as the best way to snowflakes while
driving is to look forward (through yor windshield).
This occurs when the pre-dawn side of the Earth
is moving towards the constellation Perseus-- i.e.,
early in the morning. (Thus the name of the meteor
shower.). That's when the count rate of events reaches
its peak. However, the occasional stray dust particle can
be seen burning up in the evening as well, particularly once the sky is dark.

There are several meteor showers during the year, the best of
which is the Leonids in November. For people on the west coast
of the U.S., the advantage of viewing the Persieds is that they
occur during the summer season of clear, relatively warm weather.
The moon will be in almost new, so the sky will be brighten only slightly
after about 2 AM.

Before you go, here are some tips for making the trip enjoyable.

∙•●It may be cool at night, especially when sitting out for hours, so bring warm clothes and drinks.
∙•●You'll be staring up and to the east for quite a while, so bring a blanket, and a comfortable pad or chair.
∙•●Count rates are typically 40 events per hour, more in some years than others, and more at dark sites than bright ones.
∙•●The Persides extend throughout August; however, the best nights are usually August 11, 12, and 13. The expected peak of the shower is before dawn on August 12-13.
∙•●The best viewing hours are between 2 and 4 AM when the Earth's face is facing into the grain/pebble swarm.
∙•●Cameras and binoculars won't do much good for seeing meteor showers. Yes, really. Bring them for other purposes, such as viewing the moons of Jupiter.
∙•●Faint streaks are far, far more common then bright ones. That's because the particles hitting the atmosphere are mostly grains with a few tiny pebbles.

http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/balick/perseids.html

Enjoy! :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/28syn7t.jpg

Cartomancer
14th August 2012, 19:45
I got up both nights over the weekend to check it out but was frustrated due to heavy smoke from nearby forest fires. In spite of that I still managed to see a few really bright and well defined shooting stars.

modwiz
14th August 2012, 20:53
I got up both nights over the weekend to check it out but was frustrated due to heavy smoke from nearby forest fires. In spite of that I still managed to see a few really bright and well defined shooting stars.

I'm frustrated that this event was not spoken of BEFORE it happened. I guess doom, gloom and navel gazing loomed more important. My finger pointing is largely in the mirror. My personal life took me out of my role of being a town crier for the better things in life. Pity that out of a whole forum there was not a one of us to allow members to look for this show.

Even Drake didn't mention it! :rolleyes::p

SilentFeathers
14th August 2012, 21:03

I'm frustrated that this event was not spoken of BEFORE it happened. I guess doom, gloom and navel gazing loomed more important. My finger pointing is largely in the mirror. My personal life took me out of my role of being a town crier for the better things in life. Pity that out of a whole forum there was not a one of us to allow members to look for this show.

I had it plastered on my site, but your right, we need to remind others more of these beauty's in life to bring about some balance here at Avalon. It has been a bit gloomy and doomy here on Avalon lately in most of these threads.

I took my wife up on top of a mountain Saturday night and got to see a few good streaks across the sky. It was good medicine to do that....I will follow your suggestion and try to post some of this good medicine on this site more often.

13th Warrior
14th August 2012, 21:05

Open that tent flap and come out once and awhile. 8^)P