PDA

View Full Version : Anti-rape device for women..fascinating!!!

Kimberley
26th August 2012, 02:24

Anti-rape device for women..fascinating!!!

I learn something new every day...and this is such a great idea for many reasons...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-rape_device

An early prototypical anti-rape female tampon was invented in late 2000 by Jaap Haumann, a South African man, for the purpose of preventing rape.[2] Haumann's device was designed to resemble a tampon for ease of insertion, and consisted of a hard cylindrical plastic core containing a tensioned spring blade primed to slice when pressed against by the tip of a penis. Following activation, a portion of the tip of the penis would be removed, in effect performing a minor penectomy.

Rape-aXe

An anti-rape female condom using a different design was invented by Sonnet Ehlers, a South African woman. Ehlers was motivated to create it while working as a blood technician with the South African Blood Transfusion Service, during which time she met many rape victims. Ehler mentioned that she was inspired to create RAPEX (later renamed to Rape-aXe) when a patient who had been raped stated, "If only I had teeth down there,"[3] suggesting the myth of the vagina dentata. Initially called RapeX, the name was changed in 2006 upon discovering that RAPEX is also an EU warning system against dangerous goods on the market.

The Rape-aXe is a latex sheath embedded with shafts of sharp, inward-facing barbs that would be worn by a woman in her vagina like a female condom. If an attacker were to attempt vaginal rape, his penis would enter the latex sheath and be snagged by the barbs, causing the attacker excruciating pain during withdrawal and giving the victim time to escape. The condom would remain attached to the attacker's body when he withdrew and could only be removed surgically,[4] which would alert hospital staff and police. Like most condoms, Rape-aXe also usually prevents pregnancy and the transmission of HIV and sexually transmitted Infections.

Rape-aXe was unveiled on August 31, 2005 in South Africa. Although media coverage at the time implied that mass production was due to begin in April 2007,[5] the device has never been marketed to the public and it remains unclear whether the product will ever be available for purchase.

Criticism

Critics have objected to Ehlers' invention as "vengeful, horrible, and disgusting" and oppose its planned sale in drugstores.[6][7]

It is like we are going back to the days where women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape by wearing these devices ... Women would have to wear this every minute of their lives on the off-chance that they would be raped.
—Lisa Vetten (Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation, South Africa)

This is a medieval instrument, based on male-hating notions and fundamentally misunderstands the nature of rape and violence against women in this society.
—Charlene Smith[7]

Ehler responded to criticism in the FAQ section of her website: "As with everything in life there will be negative attitudes and I can't be responsible for people who refuse to educate men and feel the device is medieval," and responds by calling the Rape-aXe "a medieval device for a medieval deed."

Other critics fear that use of the device could possibly enrage an attacker and further jeopardize the victim.[8] Ehlers responded:

"Sadly, many women have been killed over time, as nobody can guarantee the outcome of any rape. However, the huge plus-factor is that the discomfort and pain is such that the rapist would be disabled temporarily, giving you time to get away and get help."

FYI if you click on the graphic it gets bigger and more readable...

Carmody
26th August 2012, 02:56
Dr. Adder

Dr. Adder is a dark science fiction novel by K. W. Jeter set in a future where the United States has largely broken down into reluctantly cooperating enclaves run by a wide variety of strongmen and warlords, with a veneer of government control that seems largely interested in controlling technology. Dr. Adder is an artist-surgeon, who modifies sexual organs of his patients to satisfy the weirdest of perversion*; he is clearly depicted as a partly criminal, partly countercultural figure in a future Los Angeles which anticipates the cyberpunk idea of the Sprawl.

The novel was completed in 1972, and first published in 1984 by Bluejay Books, with illustrations by Matt Howarth.[citation needed]

According to Philip K. Dick, the publication of this book was delayed for a decade due to the extreme violence and graphic sex, and but for this delay it would have been recognized as the first cyberpunk novel.**

* With the work done on one woman, who's husband was and enemy of sorts, Dr Adder..uhm...secretly added in a pair of actual (a smaller variety of shark, obviously) shark's jaw/teeth and muscles in the woman's vaginal canal...and when she had an orgasm, the jaws would clamp.....you see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Adder

(**Wikipedia is looking for a citation on this point. This point is made [and comes from] as an opening note in the first edition Bluejay publication of the novel, in the foreword of the novel)

The Arthen
26th August 2012, 07:25
I see the barbs facing INWARDS towards the pipe.
Which means, when the rape happens - the penis has to go all the way into the vagina BEFORE it gets impaled on the spikes, when there's an attempt to pull it out again.

Wouldn't we technically want the spikes to face OUTWARDS, so the penis already has trouble getting itself inserted??

Why would it be such that the dick has to go all the way in, BEFORE getting stuck??

Wouldn't that suck like hell for the rape victim? To have a dick stuck inside her and being potentially brought to the hospital along with the rapist to get it all removed?

christian
26th August 2012, 07:59
To give her time; otherwise he'd just notice it, pull out, get rid of the axe and go on.

The Arthen
26th August 2012, 08:09
To give her time; otherwise he'd just notice it, pull out, get rid of the axe and go on.

Haha, good point. Actually yeah ignore my previous post - I figured that at least once he's inside the victim, all she has to do is give a firm push.

ooouuuch.

deridan
26th August 2012, 08:58
and marketing of the devise and the devise itself is seen as 'cruel and vengeful'
...how so, what could be more cruel and vengeful than the act of rape itself.
..this is where the apparent ethicalness of our system fails us..... ethics ontop of a disastrous and non working system
--, i'd be very scared if i was a rapist, of fathers, brothers and other male involvements of that person...there is a natural response which comes from those, and it won't end with a slap in the face
(i've noticed this, within a mass, there seems to be a misgiven sense of entitlement)

wynderer
26th August 2012, 11:04
creepy -- i'm not much into 'creating one's reality,' but it seems that a woman who walks around w/one of these devices in her must be thinking about being raped a lot

it wouldn't work in wartime, anyway, when gang rapes of women & children are common -- the first man would get hurt, & then the woman/child would pay for it w/ a death quite cruel

really creepy that someone would even think about this

[edit to add: my post written from the p.o.v. of a woman who has been raped -- i never once have had revenge thoughts about injuring the man's penis -- it's his mind & soul that concerns me]

westhill
26th August 2012, 13:44
The trauma would have already started/occurred. Just getting to the point of rape and insertion...
It would not take long before rapists would check for this kind of device. I shudder to think where
in retaliation a new device gets created, the reverse. This is an escalation of violence instead
of dealing with the source/cause. Thank you wynderer for your post.

Kristin
26th August 2012, 13:51
This device could easily be turned inside out and used against the victim. There is enough pain in the world without creating even more weapons to be subverted to cause more pain. The device does not stop a rape, it only causes more pain in either respect. Not a healthy idea IMO.

From the Heart,
Kristin

Corncrake
26th August 2012, 14:24
I remember the debates/discussions on this subject when the device was first promoted around ten years ago and, as with any form of weapon held in self defence, if your opponent/rapist is bigger or stronger than you they can retaliate in so many brutal ways as to make this perhaps more of a provocation than a deterrent even after the act. Education is the way forward ... and this is particularly hard in superstitious cultures where women are still looked upon as second class citizens. There is a long way to go. Wynderer you are a very forgiving soul.

Pam
26th August 2012, 14:29
I see the barbs facing INWARDS towards the pipe

There will be much more damage and distraction with the barbs facing inward...Hopefully, this would immobilize the guy long enough for the victim to flee.the other way could just piss him off and incite more violence.It may be enough deterrent to stop the guy in the future...or it could just inflame him...who knows the psyche of a rapist....but it would be satisfying to see the perpetrator flip into the victim role...... It blows me away that these devices could be considered 'cruel' ...what the heck is rape???? I call this aversion therapy that just might work!!!!!

pugwash84
26th August 2012, 15:47
I think they should have to be prescribed by a doctor and maybe a barcode or some sort of identity number on them. That way if they find one on a man they would be able to find out who the woman is and make sure she is safe. Also if women are going for these it could work to deter men as they wont know who has one fitted and who hasn't.

Maia Gabrial
26th August 2012, 16:40
There's alot to consider about this type of protection. I'm not against women being protected from rape, but this thing has some flaws.
It certainly would make it harder on a rapist in the emergency room trying to explain how his peeny got tore apart.
I hope the decent men out there don't take offense to this type of "protection". They have nothing to worry about. Or do they? What about some of those vicious women out there who would intentionally try to harm innocent men and claim rape?

Will this become a mandatory thing for ALL women to wear? In reality, no one knows who's going to be raped at any particular time, right...?
Idk.... a part of me doesn't like this. As wynderer said, it's the consciences of these rapists that need to be focused on.... And I think that we need to stop following the agendas to harm each other....

Carmody
26th August 2012, 18:20
There's alot to consider about this type of protection. I'm not against women being protected from rape, but this thing has some flaws.
It certainly would make it harder on a rapist in the emergency room trying to explain how his peeny got tore apart.
I hope the decent men out there don't take offense to this type of "protection". They have nothing to worry about. Or do they? What about some of those vicious women out there who would intentionally try to harm innocent men and claim rape?

Will this become a mandatory thing for ALL women to wear? In reality, no one knows who's going to be raped at any particular time, right...?
Idk.... a part of me doesn't like this. As wynderer said, it's the consciences of these rapists that need to be focused on.... And I think that we need to stop following the agendas to harm each other....

That's why I made that thread, called "I'm my own stupid".

It's about how negative situations and surroundings can and usually does lead to negative thinking and thus negative solutions...which lead into a downward spiral of smaller and smaller circles of negativity.

A dive that is difficult to pull out of as the wiring required commit to such realization, that wiring itself has been removed from the mind, in the absolute and real literal sense.

This is why you find that those who have gone to negativity are so difficult to reach. The wiring to do so has disappeared..... and it literally becomes that much more difficult to do.

Sierra
26th August 2012, 18:51
In some parts of the world (not war torn yet), most rape is done by family, friends, colleagues, rabbis, priests, roshis, imans etc. the fallout would be rather personal.

And would there be small ones for little girls going to kindergarten? Church? Bigger ones for older girls going into the military (now they really do need some protection somewhere, somehow) ...

Rape is so prevalent, I think the information for something like this would quickly circulate in all the wrong places. Leading to a test of some sort prior to rape.

Sierra

nurgle
27th August 2012, 17:59
I remember the device came out into the public eye during the last World cup in South Africa. I don't think this thing is going to stop rape and violence towards women in that part of the world. I believe that it might stop a 1 on 1 situation but, in a group situation the device could very well esculate the violence towards the woman. I don't know, this thing is a very touchy subject. I would like to see the "real" numbers on the positive vs negative results of the device.

Ammit
27th August 2012, 19:39
maybe they could design one for choir boys,,, That would piss the church off....

Seriously, I think it is a fantastic idea.