PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: Solar powered railway in Europe

Nickolai
5th September 2012, 08:47
Paris to Amsterdam – Europe’s first solar powered train tunnel The project, known as the “Solar Tunnel”, is the first of its kind in Europe in that it is the first time the railway infrastructure has been used to generate green energy. The €15.7 million ($21.5 million) project will supply 3300 MWh of electricity annually, enough to power 4,000 trains.

High-efficiency solar panels — 16,000 of them, with a rating of 245W each — were turned on, on the roof of a

high-speed rail tunnel in Antwerp, Belgium (all of which were supplied by JinkoSolar). The 3.6-kilometer (2.2-mile) tunnel was built to protect trains from falling trees as they pass through an ancient forest. The installation covers a total surface area of 50,000m˛ (538,000 ft2). The electricity produced by the installation will be used to power railway infrastructure, such as signals, lighting and the heating of stations. It will also power the trains using the Belgian rail network. The endeavor is estimated to reduce CO2 emissions by 2,400 tons per year.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/europes-first-solar-powered-train-tunnel-goes-live-on-belgian-h/

Nickolai

778 neighbour of some guy
5th September 2012, 09:57
Thanks Nicolai, great post, makes me curious about Jinko Solar products.

The €15.7 million ($21.5 million) project will supply 3300 MWh of electricity annually, enough to power 4,000 trains.

High-efficiency solar panels — 16,000 of them, with a rating of 245W each — were turned on, on the roof of a

high-speed rail tunnel in Antwerp, Belgium (all of which were supplied by JinkoSolar). The 3.6-kilometer (2.2-mile) tunnel was built to protect trains from falling trees as they pass through an ancient forest. The installation covers a total surface area of 50,000m˛ (538,000 ft2).

That is cheap as dirt, great initiative, i still dont get why dont just cover the whole train with flexible panels to make it go the extra 500 miles if neccesary, or why the nose of the train is not used as a wind turbine to charge up, its moving forward fast enough to generate some impressive power i think.

GlassSteagallfan
5th September 2012, 11:31
'Green' is a synonym for fasc.....ahhh, never mind

How fast does the train go, and what happens if it is cloudy and i'm late for work?

Bet you could go online and find a tweak for insufficient technology

Keshe: "Paris to New York in five minutes"

Lazlo
5th September 2012, 15:33

The €15.7 million ($21.5 million) project will supply 3300 MWh of electricity annually, enough to power 4,000 trains.

high-speed rail tunnel in Antwerp, Belgium (all of which were supplied by JinkoSolar). The 3.6-kilometer (2.2-mile) tunnel was built to protect trains from falling trees as they pass through an ancient forest. The installation covers a total surface area of 50,000m˛ (538,000 ft2).

That is cheap as dirt, great initiative, i still dont get why dont just cover the whole train with flexible panels to make it go the extra 500 miles if neccesary, or why the nose of the train is not used as a wind turbine to charge up, its moving forward fast enough to generate some impressive power i think.

Not cheap. This is 3.9 MWp at a minium of $3 USD per watt = $12,000,000 USD and coming in at less than 1000 MWH/MWp. Normlly the minimum for a commercial PV system is 1300 MWH/MWp...so this underproduces by 30% compared to a fixed tilt ground mount. The video shows that there is considerable inter-row shading. This could have been built on a brownfield cheaper and would have produced more energy.

But hey, this looks really cool and the taxpayers footed the bill anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way, because utility scale solar is what I do for a living, but this is not a "good" solar installation.

The turbine on the train does not work either, as it would produce drag and the power generated would be less than the additional energy required to move the train, a net loss. This is the law of conservation of energy.

778 neighbour of some guy
5th September 2012, 19:18

Not cheap. This is 3.9 MWp at a minium of $3 USD per watt = $12,000,000 USD and coming in at less than 1000 MWH/MWp. Normlly the minimum for a commercial PV system is 1300 MWH/MWp...so this underproduces by 30% compared to a fixed tilt ground mount. The video shows that there is considerable inter-row shading. This could have been built on a brownfield cheaper and would have produced more energy.

But hey, this looks really cool and the taxpayers footed the bill anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way, because utility scale solar is what I do for a living, but this is not a "good" solar installation.

The turbine on the train does not work either, as it would produce drag and the power generated would be less than the additional energy required to move the train, a net loss. This is the law of conservation of energy.

Uhuh, i get what your saying, however, considering the labour, the construction, materials, planning and the solar gear( not just the wattage, there is always more involved in this)..........cheap as dirt........ solar panels on my house would take me forever to make some profit ( yesyes, i said profit, why not)

Okay, no turbine then( dammit):rolleyes:

You are hired;) Please fix this then, i will reward you with a medium sized tropical island, a hammock and a fishing rod, okay and a canoo.