PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of the movie "Atlas Shrugged Part II"?

applecrusher1992
8th September 2012, 15:13
I found this trailer for a movie called "Atlas Shrugged Part II" which is based on a book called "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. This book was published in 1957 but looking at the trailer and the Wikipedia page, it was a book ahead of its time and one that reflects the situation in today's society. I guess this is a book to put on the short list.

Here is the trailer. Enjoy :)

AF9QT43uDQU

nurgle
8th September 2012, 16:10
Yeah I saw the Part one on netflix, I don't know if it is still on instant, but I enjoyed it.

Carmody
8th September 2012, 17:32
Atlas shrugged is a neocon and tea partier favorite. It's kind of a sneaky way to bypass the basics of ethics and depth of personality and miss the depths of human existence. A capitalist version of humanitarian ethics as a depth missing hubris voiced as a near religious directive.

One must also understand that Ayn Rand was a notably close friend of Alan Greenspan, who was a major (in time and importance) chairman of the US private banking consortium called 'The Federal Reserve Bank', and that apparently one of her admitted fondest desires was to be the lover of a given serial killer.

As the lyrics from rush say, in the song 'closer to the heart', which is based on Neil Peart's fascination with the writings of Ayn Rand... at that time in his development (young and grasping for anything):

'And the men who hold High Places, must be the ones to start..to mold a new mentality, closer to the heart'

which is complete, total, utter horse****, as that is the part that is killing us, and those words are based on some form of idealism of our basic instinct to gather into groups and than have a 'head monkey' in the clan. Capitalism is related deeply to that form of intellectual and social insanity - which has no future for humanity. That kind of idealized self-affected insanity can and would function in a group for some time, but it is essentially a limited viewpoint and small circle within the greater circle of logic and experience, that reality truly is.

As Neal Peart grew and learned and understood more of the world, he distanced himself completely from the idea that Ayn Rand was worth even a single fart heard in a super gust of wind.

So... the viewpoint and writing of Ayn Rand, is borne on the winds of a limited world view, hands on the genitals, masturbating furiously, about how one could be a humanitarian capitalist via seeing the world in smaller view than it really is. Something born of limited intellect, limited understanding and limited empathy.

RMorgan
8th September 2012, 21:54
Atlas shrugged is a neocon and tea partier favorite. It's kind of a sneaky way to bypass the basics of ethics and depth of personality and miss the depths of human existence. A capitalist version of humanitarian ethics as a depth missing hubris voiced as a near religious directive.

One must also understand that Ayn Rand was a notably close friend of Alan Greenspan, who was a major (in time and importance) chairman of the US private banking consortium called 'The Federal Reserve Bank', and that apparently one of her admitted fondest desires was to be the lover of a given serial killer.

As the lyrics from rush say, in the song 'closer to the heart', which is based on Neil Peart's fascination with the writings of Ayn Rand... at that time in his development (young and grasping for anything):

'And the men who hold High Places, must be the ones to start..to mold a new mentality, closer to the heart'

which is complete, total, utter horse****, as that is the part that is killing us, and those words are based on some form of idealism of our basic instinct to gather into groups and than have a 'head monkey' in the clan. Capitalism is related deeply to that form of intellectual and social insanity - which has no future for humanity. That kind of idealized self-affected insanity can and would function in a group for some time, but it is essentially a limited viewpoint and small circle within the greater circle of logic and experience, that reality truly is.

As Neal Peart grew and learned and understood more of the world, he distanced himself completely from the idea that Ayn Rand was worth even a single fart heard in a super gust of wind.

So... the viewpoint and writing of Ayn Rand, is borne on the winds of a limited world view, hands on the genitals, masturbating furiously, about how one could be a humanitarian capitalist via seeing the world in smaller view than it really is. Something born of limited intellect, limited understanding and limited empathy.

I agree my friend, but itīs a GREAT book anyway; very well written with a very compelling story line.

In my opinion, you donīt have to necessarily agree with the bookīs perspective in order to enjoy it.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone, not as a philosophy book, but as a fictional novel.

Cheers,

Raf.

gripreaper
8th September 2012, 22:16

Yea, all the capitalist's who were creative (figure that one out) gave up and went to Shambala to sip pina colada's and take care of themselves while the lazy Liberals bastards starved to death because they wanted to thwart the eminence and beauty of Corporatocracies expansion and suck off the system without having to work...blah...blah...blah.

The context within which this book was written was to highlight the flaws of the system of corporate conservative capitalism versus liberalistic pseudo empathy for the disenfranchised. It would have worked if genocide had succeeded and all of the aberrant lower life forms of the genome had been exterminated and only the Aryan super humans were left to function within this super capitalistic system where everyone contributed and took care of themselves, but alas, too many variables occurred to stop that.

Now, we are going to have to wait for evolution to reach a point of unity of the right and left hemisphere's of the brain in conjunction with the energetic central column and the chakras, or we are going to be subject to a genome which remains within the control of the elite power structure, with a mixture of both corporatocracy and crumbs for the slaves on a plantation where you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

LarryC
8th September 2012, 22:22

I read Atlas Shrugged 2 or 3 times when I was in my 20s and at the time thought it was brilliant. If I reread it now, I'd probably find it dogmatic and simplistic. In any event, it's something of a stretch to say that it was prophetic. I still haven't seen the movies -Part 1 has been available on Netflix for some time. I don't see how they can make it seem relevant, when so much of it revolves around railroads, which are all but obsolete in the U.S. today. Ironically, most of the type of people who admire Ayn Rand disdain any type of public transportation.

As for Rush, they may have been influenced by Rand, but those lyrics don't in any way embody her philosophy, which was unapologetic selfishness. The idea that "those in high places must be the ones to start" is extremely misguided, but the words "closer to the heart" would NEVER have been conceived by Rand, who worshiped reason and the intellect.

Jules
9th September 2012, 01:26
Funny you should mention that. Yes I watched Atlas Shrugged Part I on netflix today, plus a documentary on Ayn Rand and Atlas struggled. She was very bright, and tried to warn people where the country (US) was going. She loved the concept of our founding fathers and the ideals of this country. People did not understand her books, and a lot ridiculed her work, she saw what was really going on, but could not stop it from happening, much to her angst. Many people who are genius and revolutionary do not get the recognition deserved until after they are gone. Now people appreciate her gift when the process she predicted is now in front of them.

Mad Hatter
9th September 2012, 08:06
Interesting even if entirely predictable range of views expressed. I suppose next will be the argument about which side has done more to raise the overall standard of living for everyone although London to a brick this will come from somewhere right of centre unless of course we have someone on the left in our midst deluded enough to try and make the claim for that side of the fence.

Be what it may, the 'borg' collective versus the individual I'd have no interest in either until one or the other is prepared to abandon the concepts of limited liability. It will only be at the point where every individual is held responsible for their actions on an unlimited liability basis that mankind will be forced to grow up, until then its probably best ones time is spent learning to enjoy the mess that is...

Carmody
9th September 2012, 17:30
Funny you should mention that. Yes I watched Atlas Shrugged Part I on netflix today, plus a documentary on Ayn Rand and Atlas struggled. She was very bright, and tried to warn people where the country (US) was going. She loved the concept of our founding fathers and the ideals of this country. People did not understand her books, and a lot ridiculed her work, she saw what was really going on, but could not stop it from happening, much to her angst. Many people who are genius and revolutionary do not get the recognition deserved until after they are gone. Now people appreciate her gift when the process she predicted is now in front of them.

The stumbling block:

Close friends with Alan Greenspan.
Desiring to have a love life with a serial killer.

Bit of an issue, that.