PDA

View Full Version : Sins of the father? Can any bible scholars assist

kingmonkey
4th October 2012, 17:50
Hello people.

Im asking for some help finding some biblical quotes or for that matter any other spiritual texts (buddhist, hindu muslim, oh hell even channelling) relating to how ancestral linage effects us.

Im no scholar of the bible after haing a largely negative experience if religion in my younger years but i seem to remember something about the sins of the fathers lasting seven generations. Is this correct.

Or am i confusing this with the native indian belief that our actions influence the next seven generations.

Im really interested at the moment in the question of free will, creating our own realities vs the notion that karma exists or that we are affected by epigenetic.

In my own experience and the experience of observing my own family and friends, despite our best efforts to live a good life free from the mistakes and faults of your parents, many people share a remarkable pattern of becoming our parents and facing the same problematic behaviours. I've noticed that my particular life path seems to be following a similar path to my fathers regardless of my own intentions.

Is it that we have to carry the torch of our forefathers and pick up where they left off, are we to learn the lessons they failed to learn?

Any thoughts or ideas or biblical quotes would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

bmdb
4th October 2012, 18:04
Have a peak at this...http://www.openbible.info/topics/sins_of_the_father

kingmonkey
4th October 2012, 19:53
Okay thanks for that.

As always the bible seems contradictory in this respect, but thanks some food for thought........

sigma6
5th October 2012, 01:58
There is definitely reference to what you speak of in the Old Testament, I am sure, possibly the New Testament (not sure) But I wouldn't know the quotes without researching them, if you want to do some very quick easy research on biblical text check out www.biblegateway.com
It has almost every bible known, digitized, online, and searchable by keyword phrase and chapter/verse... and in different languages, wickedly excellent research tool.

You can learn and study biblical text 10 times faster than just reading it one page at time, (although we should all try and read it from a purely scholarly point of view, rather than have "church officials" do it for us... because it is a whole other story going on...

Highly, highly recommended

ghostrider
5th October 2012, 02:17
Remember they claim Adam made a mistake and all men pay the price for his mistake, far as I know there is no time limit on reaping what was sown by Adam. It is insane, one man messes up and all men pay for it, madness. Listening to his wife caused all of us big problems, in todays world if you listen to your wife , usually you come out smelling like a rose.