PDA

View Full Version : Your life assignment.

Tony
8th October 2012, 10:26
From positiveMed.com

1. You Will Receive A Body.
You may like it or not, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.

2. You Will Learn Lessons.
You are enrolled in a full-time, informal school called Life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lesson or think them irrelevant and stupid.

3. There Are No Mistakes, Only Lessons.
Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that Ultimately “works”.

4. A Lesson Is Repeated Until It Is Learned.
A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it, then you can go on to the next lesson.

5. Learning Lessons Does Not End.
There is no part of Life that does not contain it’s lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.

6. “There” Is No Better Than “Here”.
When your “there” has become a “here”, you will simply obtain another “there” that will, again, look better than “here”.

7. Others Are Merely Mirrors Of You.
You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

8. What You Make Of Your Life Is Up To You.
You have all the tools and resources you need; what you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.

9. The Answers Lie Inside You.
The answers to life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is Look, Listen and Trust.

10. Whether You Think You Can Or Can’t, In Either Case You’ll Be Right.
Think About It.

Beren
8th October 2012, 10:53
11. Always bring your towel with you ... :)

Dennis Leahy
8th October 2012, 12:54
Good one, Tony. Printed out and stuck to the refrigerator.

Dennis

Lone Bean
8th October 2012, 13:15
I've always had trouble buying no. 7. I just don't think it's necessarily true. An example: I hate those who torture animals. I do not harm animals. I don't have that particular evil in me. There is no reflection of me in those who are cruel to animals.

markpierre
8th October 2012, 13:51
I've always had trouble buying no. 7. I just don't think it's necessarily true. An example: I hate those who torture animals. I do not harm animals. I don't have that particular evil in me. There is no reflection of me in those who are cruel to animals.

See lesson 4.

Tony
8th October 2012, 13:52

Hello Lone bean,

That could be a very subtle one. if someone does something evil, and we get angry, at that moment we have lost 'our' sanity, and we are out of control, just as the evil doer.

However saying that, it's quite normal to get angry, it show intelligence and empathy! However (again), we do not have to react!!!! We can note it, and if we are capable, bring the situation back to balance.

Some of my best teachers have made me angry!

markpierre
8th October 2012, 14:40

Hello Lone bean,

That could be a very subtle one. if someone does something evil, and we get angry, at that moment we have lost 'our' sanity, and we are out of control, just as the evil doer.

However saying that, it's quite normal to get angry, it show intelligence and empathy! However (again), we do not have to react!!!! We can note it, and if we are capable, bring the situation back to balance.

The lesson for those people is about abuse. Having been abused most likely. The lesson for the observer is judgement.

What's inside the mind of an abuser, so that you can judge him fairly?
Wouldn't you have to be one to find out?

ulli
8th October 2012, 14:53

Hello Lone bean,

The lesson for those people is about abuse. Having been abused most likely. The lesson for the observer is judgement.

....there may be still another lesson, that of making a choice and then take action.

Like asking oneself "what are you going to do about it?"
and then discovering that doing nothing can mean the anger one feels begins to fester and makes one sick, adding to the pool of suffering.

While on the other hand, getting involved in helping abused animals or people or even catching the perpetrators and bringing them to justice,
can lead to the healing of one's inner wounds.
(Silence of the Lambs was all about that...)

This would lead to yet another level of healing, namely that of the perpetrator having been caught,
and thus finding whatever voice of conscience was plaguing him, is finally being silenced.

Always lots of layers.

BrianEn
8th October 2012, 14:56
Very wise words in there. I first heard about learning lessons as the secret to life some years back on my very first listening of Coast to Coast some years back. I liked the concept so much that I tried to fashion around the concept. Since then I learned a great many lessons. Some had to be taught over and over again. The human part of me gets in the way. This last lesson I had to learn was a biggie(heart attack) one to swallow, but I really think I learned it this time. I`ve changed my diet drastically, quit smoking and feel much healthier.

Lone Beans. I think of it as more of your love animals coming out. Acts like that are quite despicable.

Fred Ryan
8th October 2012, 17:41
I have a hard time with #4. I've been working on some of these lessons for close to 50-years and still can't seem to get the hang of it.

I really enjoy your posts. Next time you're in San Francisco look me up, I'd love to buy you dinner!

Tony
9th October 2012, 07:20
Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.
Leonardo da Vinci

I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
Leonardo da Vinci

It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.
Leonardo da Vinci

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo da Vinci

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Leonardo da Vinci

Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.
Leonardo da Vinci

Life well spent is long.
Leonardo da Vinci

A well-spent day brings happy sleep.
Leonardo da Vinci

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
Leonardo da Vinci

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Leonardo da Vinci

Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo da Vinci

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see.
Leonardo da Vinci

The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.
Leonardo da Vinci

Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions.
Leonardo da Vinci

In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time.
Leonardo da Vinci

Water is the driving force of all nature.
Leonardo da Vinci

Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.
Leonardo da Vinci

He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast.
Leonardo da Vinci

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!
Leonardo da Vinci

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.
Leonardo da Vinci

Kiforall
9th October 2012, 13:10
Without coming across as 'religious' or as someone searching for answers through manipulated sources. I ended up on this site and enjoyed reading this article:
Fighting the Fight-Running the Race.
"If you will put your trust in the Word of God instead of in what you can do or see in the natural, you will be ready for the next round. Get into God’s Word and get your spiritual muscles built up. Then go back out there and meet the enemy at the center of the ring. Wind up and deliver him a strong, sharp uppercut punch with the Word of God, and knock him right out of that circumstance he’s been holding over your head!
http://www.rhema.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=240:fighting-the-fight-running-the-race&catid=46&Itemid=456

Peace of Mind
9th October 2012, 15:54
excellent Pie-n-eal.

Peace

Lone Bean
10th October 2012, 16:50
Emily Litella here, never mind!

nomadguy
11th October 2012, 05:04
Wonderful!, I snagged those quotes and posted them elsewhere, I hope you don't mind.
Cheers!

Jules
11th October 2012, 05:46
Interesting discussion. Judging abuse because one was abused does not tell us about those not abused that are against abuse, and want to do something about it. That being said, it is hard to go through life being affected by bad forces in your environment, unless you live in a bubble. Given that, we simply have a choice in how we react to others. Due to the fact there are laws of nature and laws of man, we should realize if we go beyond those laws, there are consequences. Cause and effect, so to speak. If we kill or steal from our neighbors, we might go to jail, or we might be killed ourselves. Judgement may or may not be part of the process.

markpierre
11th October 2012, 08:07
Judging abuse because one was abused

That's not what it said. Try reading what it says. Judging anyone/anything from a limited perspective is insane.
See if you can work it out.

Rocky_Shorz
11th October 2012, 08:17
assignment is a pretty tough word...

school paper due tomorrow and haven't gotten around to it...

most people even knowing what needs to be done, just don't...

afraid of failure?
too busy?
not enough time?
couch is too comfy?
not knowing where to begin?

Anchor
11th October 2012, 10:04
Super! I agree with them all !

Jules
12th October 2012, 07:31
Judging abuse because one was abused

That's not what it said. Try reading what it says. Judging anyone/anything from a limited perspective is insane.
See if you can work it out.

OK, I suppose I misinterpreted what being said, however judging someone or not is not easy. I don't want to serve jury duty, unless I have to I don't enjoy seeing others suffering due to misdeeds of another, and also knowing that I am not perfect too.

I am still trying to figure out why I am here, or anyone else. If there were aliens trying to visit here, I would wonder why anyone with intelligent life would want to do so. I definitely would discourage them if they told me "take me to your leader." Anyway, I'll try to treat others like I want to be treated, even if each person has different goals and needs that may not be like mine. Peace.

Tony
12th October 2012, 11:15
Judgement is not a dirty word.

Let's be honest, we are making judgements all the time. Judgement is not a dirty word.
Judging, discriminating, valuing is part of learning and evolving. We just make the mistake of mixing up the conventional/relative levels with the ultimate level.

Only at the ultimate level is there no judgement, as there is no judge and no thing to be judged.

At a conventional/relative level our judgements may be objective or subjective. Objective would be...“Is this hotter than that?”... “That looks more green.”...“That person seems tense.”
It is something that others could agree on.

At a subjective level, “I do not like that.”...”I want this!”...”I don't care.”
This is a personal opinion, created from our background and influences, and we will hardly ever agree!

This is how we run our usual lives, and of course it creates much suffering, and it keeps us in a prison of this vicious cyclic existence...of us going up and down all the time!

Judgement is to do with different levels of clarity. There are coarse, subtle and very subtle levels.
The coarse is to do with the physical world, the subtle is to do with the mind and the very subtle is to do with our essence/being.

We have a natural inclination not to judge, that is our essence/being, just being there, but still find ourselves judging! That non-judgement is our essence/being just seeing things as they are, like a child sees shapes and colours, hears noises, smell, touch and taste. But.... we are relative creatures! So we immediately search our acquired mental library for a label and get a reaction. In fact the reaction takes over our clarity of just seeing.

Once we recognise pure being and rest there, we then have a choice, to remain in pure being or interact with the relative world, for its benefit not ours.

The more refined we are, the bigger the picture. Sometimes we have to evaluate a situation and at other times it's right to let be. If an evaluation can create space, then that is positive.
Zen koans are meant to do that – putting the mind into neutral! This brings us to the enlightened activities of, pacifying, magnetising, enriching or destroying ego created situations.

Judging takes skill, and sometimes we get it wrong, so we learn. If we keep making the same mistake and get the same reaction, then we become a fixated personality.

At an ultimate level there is no judge, or anything to judge. However we can use the relative levels to peel away and understand the ultimate level...that is why we are here!

However saying all that, we do seem to have preferences. I like grilled tomatoes on toast!

We are beautiful fools,
Tony