PDA

View Full Version : NASA’s STS-48 UFO/Ice Particles Controversy

Skywizard
11th October 2012, 09:14
I ran across this short video I made cleaning out my video archives and thought I would share it.

I know it’s old news but I still don’t think it has been officially solved… or has it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWUVTZhvHY&feature=youtu.be

--Possible explanations--

Wikipedia:
UFO/Ice particles controversy:
Video while in orbit on September 15, 1991 shows a flash of light and several objects that appear to be flying in an artificial or controlled fashion. NASA explained the objects as ice particles reacting to engine jets.

and…
--OK, here’s another--

debunker.com:
June 28, 1992

The RCS jets usually fire in 80-millisecond pulses to keep the shuttle pointed in a desired direction, under autopilot control (usually once every few minutes). These jets may flash when they ignite if the mixture ratio is not quite right. Propellant also tends to seep out the feed lines into the nozzle, where it accumulates, freezes through evaporative cooling, and flakes off during the next firing. The ejected burn byproducts travel at about 1000 ft/sec. One pulse usually emits about a quarter pound of propellant in a fan-shaped plume.

When small, drifting debris particles are hit by this RCS plume they are violently accelerated away from the jet. This is what is seen in the infamous "Case 2" sequence, where a flash (the jet firing) is immediately followed by all nearby particles being pushed away from the jet, followed shortly later by a fast moving object (evidently RCS fuel ice) departing from the direction of the jet (the streak is caused by the slow camera speed). If one plotted all the departure lines of the pushed debris and the expelled ice, they would converge at the jet's location.

These ice particles, in particular, form slowly inside the jets and elsewhere, as the fluid (water or propellant) seeps out and spreads over the surface, They take on the shape of the structure they form on. They can thus have just about any shape, usually flat. They have been seen and photographed for thirty years, about as long as UFOlogists have mistaken them for flying saucers. :der:

My middle of the road thoughts:

If it was actually a UFO, I don’t think anyone from the ground was shooting at it because of the flash. It possibly could have been HAARP (which can cause general devastation if they wanted to), or even another UFO somewhere shooting at this one.
I saw another UFO coming into view in the lower right corner but it wasn’t doing any shooting. :alien:

My take on the debunking, I can understand the cause for the flash, no problem. What I don’t quite understand is the particle (UFO) being accelerated away from the jet moving in approximately a 2:30 direction followed by the RCS fuel ice (missile) traveling in approximately a 1:00 direction. If the motion was created by a jet being fired, shouldn’t they both be traveling in approximately the same direction?

Just me thinking… :frusty:
~skywizard

The Arthen
11th October 2012, 10:54
Didn't you know this is strictly off-topic and could destroy your reputation?

:lock1:

No seriously I have the same questions you have regarding this footage. Thanks for asking once again.

WhiteFeather
11th October 2012, 13:46
That object seen in this video is a highly advanced Chinese (Made in America) Lantern which was later found out to be utilizing The Zero Point Energy Field. It has been debunked already by myself. Some Lame Stream Ass-tronomers state that it is still functioning and still floating around this vast universe.

13th Warrior
11th October 2012, 16:20
That object seen in this video is a highly advanced Chinese (Made in America) Lantern which was later found out to be utilizing The Zero Point Energy Field. It has been debunked already by myself. Some Lame Stream Ass-tronomers state that it is still functioning and still floating around this vast universe.

WF,

Have you had a lot of cats in your house lately?

Sidney
11th October 2012, 17:10

Did you know they have now equipped those lanterns with little space-proof tanks filled with swamp gas. Very fuel efficient. :rapture::flypig:

Seriously though, at the 28 second or so mark, in the middle right hand side of the image yu clearly see one of those "ice crystals" make a 45 degree turn. It is traveling to the left then turns to move in a straight upwards direction then veers off to the right. I am dumbfounded that they have the technology to equip ice crystals with auto-piloting features.:thumb: