PDA

View Full Version : Water, Water Everywhere, But Nary A Drop Worth Drinking. Solutions?

Dennis Leahy
11th October 2012, 19:32
Most of the water available to most of us is not healthful water. And we are highly privileged, because a huge number of people have only highly contaminated, foul water to drink.

Those of us with a big wad of cash can improve our water quality greatly (reverse osmosis equipment and alkalinizer equipment - or some would say, distillation equipment.)

Those of us without a big wad of cash need to be a whole lot more resourceful.

I'd like to start this topic off asking for assistance in greatly improving my family's drinking water quality, with a modest budget.

I have already spent about $150 to buy and install an under-sink reverse osmosis unit. The cartridges only last about 1/2 a year, and at about $30 x 2 = $60 for the dual activated charcoal filters plus the $65 reverse osmosis (RO) membrane filter, that adds another $125 each 6 months, or $250/year. Admittedly, this is already more than the average person would be willing to spend, and so the average person either just drinks whatever comes through their city's pipes, or maybe invests about $50 - $100 per year to run the tap water through a Brita or Pur or similar activated charcoal filtration system (and so, in the US, they drink fluoride and arsenic and benzine etc., but their water tastes better.)

I feel that I have done a lot for my and my family's health with this reverse osmosis plus activated charcoal filter, and the water "tastes" good (which is a funny way of saying it doesn't have a bad taste - it has a neutral taste.) Now I want to go at least 3 steps better (but spend as little as possible.)

My "tap" water, before or after running it through my filtration system, has a pH of 4.5. I want to alkalinize my water.

I have also been reading about the benefits of "structured water."

I have also been reading about the benefits of colloidal silver.

Can I add all of those together and make that my wish list? :)

I'm willing to start over. I say that because I have become aware of an artesian spring about 11 miles from my house. This water is free - come and get it. That means I could start with water that has no pharmaceutical drugs, chlorine, fluoride, and whatever else is in my incoming tap water. As an added bonus, this particular artesian spring water has a pH of about 6.0 to 6.25.

The bad news is that this particular artesian spring water has a high dissolved solids content (reportedly 260 to 280 ppm.) The water is not "neutral" tasting, and although I can and do drink it, it is difficult to get my family to switch from the RO water to the spring water. So, part of my success will be measured by my family's preferred water source - and I want that to be alkaline and structured.

Note that running this spring water through a tabletop/pitcher Brita or Pur (which supposedly does not really drop the dissolved solids down very much) does make the water taste much more neutral. So, whatever is slightly objectionable in taste is removed by simple activated charcoal filtration. That means my own system must include activated charcoal filtration.

Here's a link to a place where you can Find A Spring (http://www.findaspring.com/) in your area.

So, I have been trying to devise a system to filter the spring water. Something that looks like a water cooler, sort of, because I just spent the money (over $30 each) for two 5-gallon glass "carboy"-style (like a typical water-cooler) jugs.

So, any ideas? Please share your ideas!

I can build a sturdy stand (I have woodworking equipment), and I can either buy or make a ceramic water crock (I have access to a ceramic studio's kiln.)

At Paul's suggestion, I purchased a few pounds of potassium [I]bicarbonate. I'm hoping Paul will chime in here so I don't have to do a lot of experimentation, and I'd like to know about how much potassium chloride I would need to add to 5 gallons of 6.0ph water to get it to the "ideal" pH for alkalinized water: (8.0? or even higher?)

By the way, I'll stop here and mention that not everyone is convinced that alkalinized water has any benefit at all. Here's a strong detractor (that could be correct, I don't really know, which is why I'm asking) "Ionized" and alkaline water - Snake oil on tap (http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html)

"Structured" water seems to have positive effects on plants (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaOh7LMxpxg), and from someone that tore apart a structured water device, it appears that it is as simple as running the water over marbles or rocks to "structure" (alter the valence?) of water.

Other articles and videos talk about using sound frequency (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26TO9Nk3ENg) (such as 528 Hz) to structure water, or structuring water using blessings and/or intent (see Dr. Emoto's work, but also be prepared to honestly see criticism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_emoto) for Emoto's methods.)

I'm not terribly worried about getting swept-up in something that mainstream science can explain as definitely just a placebo effect, but a worst-case (if the method is free or inexpensive) is that it does nothing harmful - and there is at least a chance, even if only a placebo effect, of a positive outcome. I know the human mind is powerful.

=====================

My present thoughts on a system:
1.) Inverted, 5-gallon glass "carboy" with artesian spring water w/ added potassium chloride.

2.) Ceramic water crock, fitted with valve

3.) Activated charcoal filter (how to do this?)

3.) Marbles or rocks in a chamber

4.) Coil tube (copper or glass)

Willing to consider a silver coin with a low voltage DC current somewhere in the system (colloidal silver)

Willing to consider some way to generate a sound frequency through the water (not sure if there is a cheap way to do this or not. This could also be audibly annoying, and may not be feasible.)

I thought about having the marbles or rocks in the ceramic crock, but I think the water has to rush over and around these and impede flow to create the charge (or whatever a "photonic" structure unit actually does.)

I'll scribble a CAD sketch as I get closer to finalizing on a design, and will photograph the unit when done as well - in case that might be useful to anyone.

So, please, let your ideas pour forth.

Dennis

778 neighbour of some guy
11th October 2012, 19:39
Extremely good life giving post.

2 BUMPS up for this one.

UbsVuQDCGOk

sdv
11th October 2012, 20:12
Dennis, have you explored the power of intention?

What we feel and think and believe is far more powerful than any gadgets we can buy.

Bless, celebrate and enjoy your water, and it will be good.

If you need some kind of assistance, then put pictures of what is your ideal of water above all water sources in your home to bless celebrate and enjoy.

Just my very personal view!

PS If our water supply is completely toxic, then how do we explain those who use it and are not negatively affected? There are always anomalies, and I am exploring the possibility that it is in the anomalies that we find the truth.

meat suit
11th October 2012, 20:13
great project Dennis,

I have 2 points,
1. I would be very careful including silver and electric current if you are adding things like potassium or other electrolites.... you could end up with some dodgy ingredients and turn blue like the guy mentioned in the current colloidal silver thread...

2. go and study Victor Schaubergers work, he pioneered water vortex systems and other groovy stuff, I feel he is the main guy in the field to look at, everybody elses work is based on his.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wl-Temag9E

CdnSirian
11th October 2012, 20:17
http://www.filterpurefilters.org/

This type could be of use to you. I imagine a family might need 2 or 3. I'll look for a link where you can actually get one.

http://en.howtopedia.org/wiki/How_to_Make_a_Coffee-Clay_Water_Filter how to make one - then you need to fire in cow dung. Maybe a local potter could help you out with the firing part.

https://www.engineeringforchange.org/solution/library/view/detail/Water/S00067;jsessionid=461CA95B64153E5B1E4CC5D276E69C4F .asmeworker1

Manuals on left sidebar.

I use an Aquasana filter on my countertop - you can also get under the counter type, and the whole house type. The filters cost me $100 per yr. 2 filters, one puts minerals back into the water. It tests at 8.5 PH - the unfiltered tap water is 7.0. Recently their filters were redesigned to take out arsenic.

I use a Rainshower filter on the shower - well worth it. I fill the bath from the shower. http://www.rainshowermfg.com/page1/page18/CQ1000.html There are heavier duty shower filters but this one makes a huge difference in water quality.

modwiz
11th October 2012, 21:07
Victor Schauberger is the water wizard. The Order of Modern Wizards recommends all he had to say about water and the enhancers he invented.
http://www.schauberger.co.uk/home.html

Germane to our conversation are the filtration systems and structuring tools. His most basic, The Aqua-Vortex Funnel (structuring) would be my recommendation for common usage. Electric powered units are not my favorite. There are many offering and not one of them is anything but brilliant. By employing the KISS* principle, one cannot go wrong, or broke.

A staff pounding to Meatsuit for his excellent suggestion.:wizard:

*(keep it simple stupid)

meeradas
11th October 2012, 21:22
most basic

Yep, good stuff. http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/water.html#funnel

I'm using this one (http://www.devajal.de/) [it doesn't get more basic]

TargeT
11th October 2012, 21:39
I've been letting plants structure and filter my water (I juice now for most my liquids) but that's not very economical or sustainable with out a large garden in a good "year 'round" gardening area.

You could also look into the ancient water filtration methods the Romans and others used for fountains and wells; it was mostly different sized rocks & worked almost exactly like modern "salt" filtration units ("water softeners’") but without the need for the added "salts". (for a more permanent low cost solution)

great project Dennis,

I have 2 points,
1. I would be very careful including silver and electric current if you are adding things like potassium or other electrolites.... you could end up with some dodgy ingredients and turn blue like the guy mentioned in the current colloidal silver thread...

That was because he was putting salts into his colloidal silver generator, he basicaly did it on purpose and I really wonder "why" at times, then I take my tinfoil hat off and all is well....

see:
http://www.gold2live.com/Blue-Man-Smiles-After-Hoax.html

&

http://www.purestcolloids.com/blue-man.php

&

http://www.naturalnews.com/035219_colloidal_silver_blue_man_skin.html

etc...

cloud9
11th October 2012, 22:00
Hi Dennis,
I have to tell you that I've been interested in the subject for some time but at the end I haven't done anything about it so I don't have any advice for you in that regard but....
have you ever thought about changing your views about prosperity? It seems to me your main concern is not pure water but money.
The way I see it, if you spend X amount of $$$ on something, just forget about it and keep on doing whatever you do. Have you ever noticed how in the spur of the moment we buy something we don't really need or overspend on things and at the end we are not lacking anything? Of course, if you keep worrying about what you spent and believe that not more money is coming into your life, well.... it will be so.

I hope I'm not offending you in any way because this is not the advice you were looking for. I mean well when I'm saying this, do what you need or want to do and don't worry about the money, you are a powerful abundant being and you will be fine. ;);):cool:

Lifebringer
11th October 2012, 23:26
LEED Green Associate. Thinking of trying natural filtration of barrel, gravel straw, silt, gravel sand. Captured during rainstorm, and filtered through a few Brita's w/microorganism weave. I think that natural is always better, but if we get radioactive water, what's the life span of exposure according to the rads?

I'll also put cotton material in between the sand and gravel, to filter. Hope it works, won't know until it's tested, but I'm determined. Hey, has anyone been beyond the LuRay caverns and how far do they go to get away from radioactive areas?

Dennis Leahy
11th October 2012, 23:28
Hi Dennis,
I have to tell you that I've been interested in the subject for some time but at the end I haven't done anything about it so I don't have any advice for you in that regard but....
have you ever thought about changing your views about prosperity? It seems to me your main concern is not pure water but money.
The way I see it, if you spend X amount of $$$ on something, just forget about it and keep on doing whatever you do. Have you ever noticed how in the spur of the moment we buy something we don't really need or overspend on things and at the end we are not lacking anything? Of course, if you keep worrying about what you spent and believe that not more money is coming into your life, well.... it will be so.

I hope I'm not offending you in any way because this is not the advice you were looking for. I mean well when I'm saying this, do what you need or want to do and don't worry about the money, you are a powerful abundant being and you will be fine. ;);):cool:
I think you may be missing the point: I am looking for solutions that are inexpensive and resourceful, not only for myself, but also to share with others that may read this thread.

Though I don't have piles of money, I am a very very rich man. It would be hard to be more prosperous. My life is full of love and I am surrounded by people I love and that love me. My health, my food, and my accommodations are better than billions of people on this planet. There are never enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do, my mind is so enriched. Though I don't remember my spiritual journey from previous lives (yet), I am evolving spiritually in leaps and bounds in this lifetime, so again, it seems I would have a difficult time being more spiritually prosperous. I love sharing and giving whatever I can, and if more resources were allocated to me personally by the Universe, then my own life would change little but the Universe would simply be using this conduit to allocate resources more widely. But, this thread is about healthful water, not prosperity (especially financial prosperity.)

The dollar figures quoted in this thread are to assist others in making decisions about what they are able to afford with the financial resources they control. If I were to take a "money is no object" stance, not only would I not be able to financially afford the water purification system, but the thread would be worthless to almost everyone.

Have you ever noticed how in the spur of the moment we buy something we don't really need or overspend on things and at the end we are not lacking anything?No, not really. This does not describe me. I am not an impulse buyer nor am I caught up in consumerism. I am a caregiver to my family and am doing what I can within my means to ensure that as many toxins as possible are kept out of my wife and daughter. We live at a time and place with the highest number of man-made toxins in our air, water, and soil in history. I have spent the time to investigate the relationships between things like fluoride and the pineal gland enough to want to protect their (and my own) brains. It is my belief that my wife's breast cancer probably was triggered/caused from toxins that entered her body, and I will do what I can to safeguard her. (If your opinion is that she caused her own cancer, please hold-off on responding with that. It won't go over well with me.)

I've got to say I am really baffled as to why you posted. You say you've "been interested in the subject for some time" meaning you agree that pure and healthful water is something to strive for, but instead of talking about water purification, then you sort of lecture me on prosperity straight out of the movie "The Secret." I will guess that a fully Christ-conscious/Buddha-conscious being could probably drink the water coming out of the Dow Chemical factory with no ill effects, but the rest of us should probably be a bit more proactive about filtering our water. This thread is supposed to be about some specifics on how we can get the most healthful drinking water possible, starting from whatever source each of us has.

Dennis

TargeT
11th October 2012, 23:40
LEED Green Associate. Thinking of trying natural filtration of barrel, gravel straw, silt, gravel sand. Captured during rainstorm, and filtered through a few Brita's w/microorganism weave. I think that natural is always better, but if we get radioactive water, what's the life span of exposure according to the rads?

I'll also put cotton material in between the sand and gravel, to filter. Hope it works, won't know until it's tested, but I'm determined. Hey, has anyone been beyond the LuRay caverns and how far do they go to get away from radioactive areas?

why so worried about radio active water?

if rain water is a little hot, there's no worry, in fact it is probably healthy for you (see this thread for details: http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?46819-A-video-they-won-t-want-you-to-see--Galen-Winsor-nuclear-scam- )

I think a natural way could definately be rigged up, mixed with a little bit of silver for micro.s etc & your set!

Kiforall
11th October 2012, 23:48

What we feel and think and believe is far more powerful than any gadgets we can buy.

Bless, celebrate and enjoy your water, and it will be good.

If you need some kind of assistance, then put pictures of what is your ideal of water above all water sources in your home to bless celebrate and enjoy.

Just my very personal view!

PS If our water supply is completely toxic, then how do we explain those who use it and are not negatively affected? There are always anomalies, and I am exploring the possibility that it is in the anomalies that we find the truth.

I believe reiki healing purifies water, I would explain it like ionizing water. If passing universal energy through water has the same effect as ionization and formed an inner hydration cell I was wondering if the pollutant molecule would be taken up within the water molecule and removed from the body.

cloud9
12th October 2012, 00:13
Dennis,
I apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention at all. Somehow I figured it could happen but decided to do it anyway, also I congratulate you on your abundance but honestly I didn't get the feeling of abundance from your post.
Best of luck on your project.

Ron Mauer Sr
12th October 2012, 01:15
My gut feeling is that the Berkey filters will provide extremely high quality water. The filters are available in several sizes ranging from an inexpensive portable version to the larger stainless steel family size. It is my understanding that the filter process is the same in all their products.

I'd suggest purchasing the Sport Berkey $22.49 (http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Berkey-Portable-Water-Purifier/dp/B0026OKYPE) from Amazon (plus shipping) and evaluating the result.

I suspect any metaphysical exercises, or any other modifications done to the water would work better starting with pure water such as produced by the Berkey.

The larger family size Berkey filters have an optional additional filter to eliminate fluoride.

More info is available from the Berkey FAQ (http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ylh9N9OOhxU

CdnSirian
12th October 2012, 01:36
I certainly understand about the financial limitations. I bought my first counter top filter in 2006. Replaced it for a promo-priced 25% of the original filter apparatus which was $99.00, to get the new arsenic filtering stuff. I am aware that there are many more sophisticated units.

The clay filters seem almost ideal - no electricity needed. Please let us know where you go with this.

You can call Aquasana if you like and grill them on your questions. I have done this...it's not the ultimate system, but it's good. I probably replace filters before I need to, since it's every 6 months for a family of four.

In regards to fluoride, I think you have to get your body's receptor's filled with iodine, magnesium, potassium etc. so there is nowhere for it to go.

You're doing a great job of taking care of yourself and your family.

Dennis Leahy
12th October 2012, 04:12
Here a post made by Genevieve, in a different thread, about structured water:

I've just started structuring my water based on what I've learned on a website (and from a book of the same name) called Dancing with Water.

The website is amazingly generously informative. I bought the book (6 copies, actually) and am glad I did, but really, just reading the website will turn you on and empower you to structure your own water.

Structuring water needn't be expensive.

One of the authors, MJ Pangman, has answered several e-mails from me asking her questions. Very helpful and responsive!

I can't really say I've noticed a difference in my own body (I didn't do this to repair, but to enhance), but my plants are obviously benefitting from it.

I'm loving my water more than ever before, and I have a feeling it's loving me back.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
Genevieve

...and here a link to the Dancing With Water (http://www.dancingwithwater.com/) website.

Thanks, Genevieve! :~)

Dennis

GrnEggsNHam
12th October 2012, 12:32

So far I've been following this train of thought when it comes to my H2O consumption. This body of mine was grown on chemically "enhanced" water here in the USA(long before I found out about our water supply additives). So I've not cared as long as it came from the tap in my country, therefore meeting my standards for this particular body. I'm quite certain my body figured out what to do with these excess chemicals a long time ago. Otherwise I wouldn't be very healthy or shouldn't be... We humans are insanely adaptive, and people think cockroaches are hard to kill :p.

Anyways I'm interested in this now because I've recently adopted a little companion(9 week old Beagle). His body is still developing for this first year and I want to provide him with the best nutrition possible. I'm still researching foodstuffs but water was my first concern. He's my little buddy and I felt a strong bond/connection from the moment I held him close(heart).

As for me of course I will change to drinking the filtered H2O as well. Who knows perhaps I will become "superhuman" after ridding myself of all those "additives". :cool2:

Dennis Leahy
12th October 2012, 13:41

Bless, celebrate and enjoy your water, and it will be good....\

PS If our water supply is completely toxic, then how do we explain those who use it and are not negatively affected?...

So far I've been following this train of thought when it comes to my H2O consumption. This body of mine was grown on chemically "enhanced" water here in the USA(long before I found out about our water supply additives). So I've not cared as long as it came from the tap in my country, therefore meeting my standards for this particular body. I'm quite certain my body figured out what to do with these excess chemicals a long time ago. Otherwise I wouldn't be very healthy or shouldn't be... We humans are insanely adaptive, and people think cockroaches are hard to kill :p. ...

Why add stress to the body? Why force our bodies to be (like) the wetlands or be the filters? Why ingest carcinogens we have to fight off? Why ingest toxins that accumulate and reach levels where they degrade health? I have things to do while I'm on this planet, and don't want to be bogged down or sidetracked with easily preventable health issues that steal my vibrancy and divide my focus. You know, why allow "divide and conquer" on a personal level?

The same could be said for food - in fact, I know people that eat very poor nutrition and brag about how good they feel and are never sick (as if their continued poor nutrition will never catch up with them.) Contrast that with the reality that the leading causes of sickness and death are all diet-related. Life isn't measured in calendar days (quantitatively) but rather in vibrancy of health, clarity of mind, connection to Source, intentions to assist others being accomplished (qualitatively.)

When I was in my teens, I thought I was invincible. Now I'm wise enough not to think that, nor to allow (preventable) toxins to accumulate in me that certainly will have health consequences at some level of accumulation.

I've got to admit that I wasn't expecting anyone to argue that what's in water doesn't matter. Maybe that is a good (separate) topic, "Toxins in Water Don't Matter", and we could use this current topic for folks that think it does matter and want to discuss how to purify and/or "enhance" water.

The bottom line is that there are toxins in the water, and you can either use external filtration techniques to remove as much of the toxic contaminates as possible before drinking the water, or you can just drink the water-toxin tea as you find it, and allow your body to become the filter.

Dennis
p.s. If you have not already checked out the website for Charity:Water (http://www.charitywater.org/), I highly recommend it. It might be good to realize what a struggle it is for billions of people in the world to get clean drinking water.

modwiz
12th October 2012, 14:18
Seeing a few of these posts is evidence that there is 'something' in the water, and it does not appear to enhance cognitive ability.

The flouride is clearly working.

CdnSirian
12th October 2012, 14:39
I didn't know Berkey's could filter out fluoride. A water specialist whose articles I read says once fluoride is in water, nothing can take it out 100%. But better to get some out as well as stay mineralized.

Drugs in water is also a problem. Traditionally unused medicine has been flushed - a bad idea. Drugs also get into water through human urine and water treatment doesn't filter them out. Yuk. So we're all taking a bit of everyone's medicine.

I have Adya Clarity for emergency water purification-I've filterd some of my filtered water with it, and yes there's some weird looking stuff in the bottom of the bottle a day later. This water can then be run through a coffee filter.

I'm interested in the home made restructuring plate. Also the European bottle attachment for spinning, that doesn't require electricity. I looked at the site but I don't understand the "shop" page. Will re-visit. So much to do!

GrnEggsNHam
12th October 2012, 15:46
Seeing a few of these posts is evidence that there is 'something' in the water, and it does not appear to enhance cognitive ability.

I believe the effects of this poison are dwindling as generations progress. The human body is really quite amazing when it comes to survival adaptation. I mean how else could we possibly still exist as a species?

The USA supposedly implemented fluoride(H2SiF6, Na2SiF6 and NaF) around the 50's. That means my grandparents were consuming it in their adult lives. My parents were consuming it for most of their lives. And I've been consuming it ever since my conception via my mother In Utero. I say consume because it's not just from drinking. This water is used in just about all foodstuff production(raising/growing animals/plants).

My system has developed around these chemicals(chlorine is another example) and thus adapted accordingly. My children should(depending on mother) be able to deal with said chemicals even better than my system(body) can.

I would suspect that in another 100 years they will have to figure out some other way or add some more chemicals to our diets for "health" reasons.

This is not substantiated by any particular science and I am certainly no authority on any of the subjects I love to discuss :bounce:. But, I have a theory as to why all these young adults(25-30's) are developing cancers. These are the folks who grew up in an area with a good natural water table. They drank well water(usually very clean or at least compared to tap water+additives) as their bodies developed. While still ingesting small amounts of chemicals through foodstuffs. When they became adults and moved away, perhaps to a city. They drank the readily available water from the pipes. Thus inundating their relatively clean systems with chemicals. If their systems were CLEAN then they would've become quite ill. However they've been introduced to minutea amounts for 20(+) years via foodstuffs. So perhaps they got a little sick caught a cold or something. Anyways their body adapted as best it could and continued onward. 10 years later they've developed a cancer because their system was not suited for such a high exposure over time. I have a gut feeling that the cancer % to population ratio 50 years ago for 30's was much lower than it is today.***

This I literally just theorized while typing the above text. If there are ET's perhaps we humans are being developed into a warrior race for their army(we certainly have the violence part down). Perhaps resistance to minutea amounts of these chemicals is required on other planets we may be sent to conquer.

Oh and my cognitive functions are working as intended ;)

***You could argue that 50 years ago we lacked the imaging technology for early diagnosis.

Dennis Leahy
12th October 2012, 16:42
All righty then, back to the topic of affordable drinking water purification and enhancement.

On the post that I copied from elsewhere into this thread, Genevieve gave us a website to check out : Dancing With Water. On that site is an article about why we do NOT want to alkalinize our water, and I'd like to hear others that have researched this speak up. Here's the article: http://www.dancingwithwater.com/articles/alkaline-water-not/

Several good points are made, but one does not make sense to me:

You might be surprised to discover how many people who begin to drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Most of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this problem . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.
If digestive juice is 1.5pH to 3.5pH, and the article author can't be advising we drink "isoacidic" (same acidity as our body) water, then what is the "perfect" pH? (And I suspect the answer is: "it depends", but what are the guidelines?)

If that article is correct, then my quest to alkalinize my body and that of my family members (for disease resistance and vitality) should be via food (paradoxically, such as lemon juice), rather than through water. Those with something to sell, be it a book or a device, have an agenda, even if they are trying honestly not to. So, those of you who have researched this alkalinizing question and looked at both sides of the argument, what are your conclusions?

Dennis

Sidney
12th October 2012, 16:45
My gut feeling is that the Berkey filters will provide extremely high quality water. The filters are available in several sizes ranging from an inexpensive portable version to the larger stainless steel family size. It is my understanding that the filter process is the same in all their products.

I'd suggest purchasing the Sport Berkey $22.49 (http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Berkey-Portable-Water-Purifier/dp/B0026OKYPE) from Amazon (plus shipping) and evaluating the result.

I suspect any metaphysical exercises, or any other modifications done to the water would work better starting with pure water such as produced by the Berkey.

The larger family size Berkey filters have an optional additional filter to eliminate fluoride.

More info is available from the Berkey FAQ (http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ylh9N9OOhxU

I have the berkey , same one as in this video. I love it, its sim;licity, I have it on a small table that I pull over to the sink to fill. It makes 6 gallons at a time. The only problem is that lately they have had quality issues with their replacement filters. But I believe they have that ironed out. There is an extra flouride removal filter. I use that also. Great tasting, flouride free and I can feel good about providing my family with healthy drinking water. Now if there was just a simple solution for ice cubes and shower. : ( I have tried the shower filter head, I have very long hair and the pressure is so low I can barely get my hair rinsed.

Paul
12th October 2012, 17:15
If digestive juice is 1.5pH to 3.5pH, and the article author can't be advising we drink "isoacidic" (same acidity as our body) water, then what is the "perfect" pH? (And I suspect the answer is: "it depends", but what are the guidelines?)
I'd suggest alkaline water, but not drinking a lot of water with meals :). During the hour (for fats) or two (for proteins) that it takes my stomach to digest food, I don't flood it with water.

I alkalinize my water up to a few hundred parts per million (ppm) of total dissolved solids (tds) with sulfates (Willard Water (http://yhst-34846767927333.stores.yahoo.net/one-gallon-clear-concentrate.html)), Himalayan pink salt, and potassium bicarbonate (http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/leavenerthickener/potassium-bicarbonate.html), which better than sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda according to this article:

Diet, evolution and aging -- The pathophysiologic effects of the post-agricultural inversion of the potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet, by Frassetto L, Morris RC Jr, Sellmeyer DE, Todd K, Sebastian A. (pdf) (www.ionizers.org/pdf/3-scientific-articles/Diet_Evolution_and_Aging.pdf)This concentration (ppm of these tds) will show up as a pH in the high 7.x to 8 something, though if you are controlling what elements in your water, the tds seems a more useful metric to me than the pH.

Dennis Leahy
12th October 2012, 17:24
...I alkalinize my water up to a few hundred parts per million (ppm) of total dissolved solids (tds) with sulfates (Willard Water (http://yhst-34846767927333.stores.yahoo.net/one-gallon-clear-concentrate.html)), Himalayan pink salt, and potassium bicarbonate (http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/leavenerthickener/potassium-bicarbonate.html)...

...At Paul's suggestion, I purchased a few pounds of potassium chloride....

Oops! I had better go fix that mistake in my OP. I think potassium chloride is used s a murder/suicide tool, not for alkalinizing water. I did buy potassium bicarbonate from Nuts.com, but have not done anything with it yet.

Dennis

meat suit
12th October 2012, 17:25
what about boiling water before consumption.....
coming to think of it, I dont like drinking tap water..I always boil it and turn it into tea , coffee etc...
I must boil some, let it cool down and compare taste to straight from the tap.
with all the talk about restructuring , surely boiling is a pretty substantial re-arranging of water?? plus killing bugs and maybe evaporating off some chlorine???

Hervé
12th October 2012, 17:55
[...]
If that article is correct, then my quest to alkalinize my body and that of my family members (for disease resistance and vitality) should be via food (paradoxically, such as lemon juice), rather than through water.

[...]
Dennis

If you can get your hands on: "THE SCHOOL OF SELF-APPLIED PREVENTION" by the "Barefoot" Herbalist, it should explain the Alkaline/Acidic battle that goes on in one's guts and the observations can be transferred to juices and water. It is the North American equivalent to McBride's "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" (GAPS) as delineated in Dawn's thread "The Gut of All Disease..."

[...]

The boiled water is what Andreas Moritz calls "Ionized Water" in his book: "THE LIVER AND GALLBLADDER MIRACLE CLEANSE"

CdnSirian
12th October 2012, 18:27
http://healingtools.tripod.com/NK.html ozone generating for water purification and more....found this guy here:

nBj08Bb3xiM

I saw a violet ray machine when I was nine ( a long time ago) - haven't seen one since!

Paul
12th October 2012, 18:59
At Paul's suggestion, I purchased a few pounds of potassium bicarbonate. I'm hoping Paul will chime in here so I don't have to do a lot of experimentation, and I'd like to know about how much potassium chloride I would need to add to 5 gallons of 6.0ph water to get it to the "ideal" pH for alkalinized water: (8.0? or even higher?)

Glad to see that's potassium bicarbonate, not potassium chloride :).

Potassium chloride can be used as a salt substitute (I've used it that way myself in times past) in place of sodium chloride, for those trying to lower sodium intake.

But as explained in that pdf (www.ionizers.org/pdf/3-scientific-articles/Diet_Evolution_and_Aging.pdf) I linked in my previous post on this thread substituting both:

sodium ==> potassium
chloride ==> bicarbonate
is even more useful.

I use one tablespoon of potassium bicarbonate per gallon of drinking water (along with Willards, salt and fulvic ionic minerals). Get the total dissolved solids (tds) up to a few hundred parts per million (ppm). Search on Google for "total dissolved solids meter" to find a variety of tds meters for $20 to $40. These are small handheld, battery operated devices that essentially measure the resistance of the water between two electrodes, calibrated in ppm tds.

You can get potassium bicarbonate at either nuts.com, or at your favorite wine making supply shop.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Boiling will kill most bugs, and will boil off the more volatile compounds, such as chlorine.

It won't remove the heavier compounds, such as fluoride, other metals, some fertilizers and pharmaceuticals, or many of the by-products produced by chlorinating water.

CdnSirian
12th October 2012, 19:56
I have just ordered potassium chloride in powder form from swansonvitamins.com. I believe bicarbonate was available also. And citrate, but only in the 99 mg capsules. Sorry off topic :).

leavesoftrees
12th October 2012, 20:13
According to this post TTIIT says that RO and distillation kills beneficial flora in the gut

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?43548-The-gut-of-most-disease...-NOT-what-you-think-&p=559599#post559599

so which is the lesser of two evils - fluoride and chlorine in your water, or RO purified water that could be harming your intestinal flora? I've chosen RO for the last 10 years, and am looking to drink more spring water for those times when I just want a glass of water

Nanoo Nanoo
12th October 2012, 21:34
Water has the virtue of being able to carry intention. So to process it in this manner is a good idea.

The study of some waters in hungary and japan have found amzing differences in its makeup and researchers have found its because of the
" journey " the water makes over certain minerals etc.

Interesting fact, one drop of this water put into a gallon of normal water can change its structure.

In order to filter off fluoride you need either activted alumina or distilling water. Fluoride has a boiling point of 180 deg c so you can boil off water, capture the vapour and leave the fluoride behind.

Try this, put a jug of water in the chill section of the fridge. You will get a top layer like a disk freeze on top. Take this disk out and toss it. Cooling water can change its density and force other pollutants to float.

Crystals that are well charged change water makeup at a cellular level. Silver has its positive properties as well.

Or you can just collect rain water :-) its been filtered and sterilised by nature.

Question : do you remember when you used to put ice cubes in a glass then pour alcahol over them and the ice would crack? Try doing this today. The ice dosent crack anymore :-)

Why?

Paul
12th October 2012, 23:44
I have just ordered potassium chloride in powder form from swansonvitamins.com. I believe bicarbonate was available also. And citrate, but only in the 99 mg capsules. Sorry off topic :).

So far as I can tell, Swansons does not sell potassium bicarbonate, except in capsules in combination with some other salts.

All over the counter supplements in the USA are limited to no more than 99 mg of potassium per individual dose, per a long standing Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulation.

Marin
13th October 2012, 01:21
We also have the Berkey Water Filtration system.

$228.00: includes stainless steel filtration containers and 2 filters
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/systems/travel-berkey/

The filtration system removes the following:

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's)
Removed to below detectable limits - 99.9999999%

Alachlor
Atrazine
Benzene
Carbofuran
Carbon Tetrachloride
Chlorine
Chlorobenzene
Chloroform
2,4-D
dbcp
p-Dichlorobenzene
o-Dichlorobenzene
1, 1-Dichloroethane
1, 2-Dichlorpethane
1, 1-Dichloroethylene
Cis-1, 2-
Dichloroethyiene
Trans-1,2-
Dichloroethylene
1, 2-Dichloropropane
cis-l,3-
Dichloropropylene
Dinoseb
Endrin
Ethylbenzene

Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
Heptachlor
Heptachlor Epoxide
Hexachlorobutodlene
Hexachloro-
Cyclopentadlene
Lindane
Methoxychlor
MTBE
Pentachlorophenol
Simazine
Styrene
1,1,2,2-
Tetrachloroethane
Tetrachloroethylene
Toluene
2,4,5-TP (Silvex)
1,2,4-trichlorobenzene
1,1,1-trichloroethane
1,1,2-trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene
o-Xylene
m-Xylene
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/replacement-filters/black-berkey/
These filters need to be replaced about every 6months (depending on use) and replacement filters are about another $100.00.

For an additional $54.00 you can purchase the Fluoride Water Filters (last 3-6 months)
It removes:

Fluoride
Pre-oxidized Arsenic III and Arsenic V
MTBE
Other heavy metal ions

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/specialty-filters/fluoride/

778 neighbour of some guy
13th October 2012, 12:53
most basic

Yep, good stuff. http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/water.html#funnel

I'm using this one (http://www.devajal.de/) [it doesn't get more basic]

From the Sulis website, have no clue why it was not posted, thanks for the link Meeradas.

tNe_BiwdRuc

some more from Youtube.

Rs8bVmwplsw

TITOEOAZyQg

First 10 minutes of below video not so great, get better then.

mJhogR7YLps

CdnSirian
14th October 2012, 05:42

So far as I can tell, Swansons does not sell potassium bicarbonate, except in capsules in combination with some other salts.

All over the counter supplements in the USA are limited to no more than 99 mg of potassium per individual dose, per a long standing Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulation.

The potassium chloride is 730 mg per 1/4 tsp.

Paul
14th October 2012, 05:53
The potassium chloride is 730 mg per 1/4 tsp.

OK - sounds about right - give that I have marked my potassium bicarbonate container at 825 mg per 1/4 tsp (well, actually 3.3 gm/tsp).

I'm not sure why you point that out though?

CdnSirian
14th October 2012, 06:01
Sorry I thought you were understanding that you still couldn't get more than 99 mg per dose. I misunderstood you. :)

Paul
14th October 2012, 06:14
Sorry I thought you were understanding that you still couldn't get more than 99 mg per dose. I misunderstood you. :)

I can't legally purchase single dose vitamin/mineral supplements in the US which have more than 99 mg of elemental potassium per dose.

I can purchase a metric ton of potassium bicarbonate powder for use as fertilizer or in wine making.

I can buy a banana with more potassium, or purchase salt substitute which has more potassium in even a modest quantity (as you note.)

TargeT
14th October 2012, 07:08

Are you channeling the eagle? flour-ide eh? I agree flour is definitely an issue here. so is fluoride (haha, sniped ya back!)

modwiz
14th October 2012, 16:13

Are you channeling the eagle? flour-ide eh? I agree flour is definitely an issue here. so is fluoride (haha, sniped ya back!)

Not yet.:eyebrows:

Yeah, ya got me. Hate when that happens. :faint2:

zenith
27th October 2012, 18:00
Probably have to do the research on this one but I've been wondering about aquariums.
It's possible to create them with better conditions than can be found in nature with regards
to plant growth. Perhaps underwater plants are an effective filter and water conditioner?
This fellow Takashi Amano creates complete ecosystems where plants and fish live in
harmony with one another. Just some food for thought.

Peace