View Full Version : Monsanto lobbyist to run EU food regulator

Snoweagle
17th October 2012, 20:51
Related:
EU food labelling law spotlights strength of industry lobbying
EU agencies rebuked over spending
Green light for ex-commissioner's lover to join his new lobby firm

By Andrew Rettman

BRUSSELS - The European Commission has defended its choice of a food industry lobbyist to help run its food regulator, the European Food Safety Agency (Efsa) in Parma, Italy.

"Frewen wants the job because of her 'personal interest' as a 'scientist" (Photo: Masahiro Ihara)

The commission on 10 February chose Mella Frewen - the president of Brussels-based lobby group FoodDrinkEurope, who previously worked for Monsanto, a US producer of genetically modified food - as one of 14 candidates to join the Efsa management board.

If selected by a European Parliament jury in the next few weeks, she will keep her FoodDrinkEurope post while doing the unpaid Efsa job.

Commission spokesman Frederic Vincent said Frewen went forward "based on capability" and under an Efsa rubric which says the board should have people with a "background in organisations representing consumers and other interests in the food chain."

Efsa spokesman Ian Palombi said the board runs day-to-day internal business, but the scientific panels that decide which products get the green light are composed of "independent experts."

http://euobserver.com/institutional/115532

Start writing letters, sending emails, make YT commentaries/documentaries and advise people to wake up. This level of conflict of interest is plain genocidal. This is the sewer stench of corruption in its most blatant form. It must be challenged and it must be stopped.

Kiforall
17th October 2012, 22:37
I've just sent 2 emails, Tim Farron Lib Dems and Paul Nuttal UKIP.

Lets get the ball running!

Dear Tim,

Please could I voice my concerns regarding Mella Frewen being selected as a candidate to join the EFSA management board.

I believe that due to her previous position with Monsanto USA there is a clear conflict of interests. I do not believe that she will represent the consumers and other interests in the food chain.

Please could you bring this to the attention of the relevant MEP or provide me with the details.

Thank you,
Yours Sincerely,
Zoe

Ouroboros
18th October 2012, 08:55
Related:
EU food labelling law spotlights strength of industry lobbying
EU agencies rebuked over spending
Green light for ex-commissioner's lover to join his new lobby firm

By Andrew Rettman

BRUSSELS - The European Commission has defended its choice of a food industry lobbyist to help run its food regulator, the European Food Safety Agency (Efsa) in Parma, Italy.

"Frewen wants the job because of her 'personal interest' as a 'scientist" (Photo: Masahiro Ihara)

The commission on 10 February chose Mella Frewen - the president of Brussels-based lobby group FoodDrinkEurope, who previously worked for Monsanto, a US producer of genetically modified food - as one of 14 candidates to join the Efsa management board.

If selected by a European Parliament jury in the next few weeks, she will keep her FoodDrinkEurope post while doing the unpaid Efsa job.

Commission spokesman Frederic Vincent said Frewen went forward "based on capability" and under an Efsa rubric which says the board should have people with a "background in organisations representing consumers and other interests in the food chain."

Efsa spokesman Ian Palombi said the board runs day-to-day internal business, but the scientific panels that decide which products get the green light are composed of "independent experts."

http://euobserver.com/institutional/115532

Start writing letters, sending emails, make YT commentaries/documentaries and advise people to wake up. This level of conflict of interest is plain genocidal. This is the sewer stench of corruption in its most blatant form. It must be challenged and it must be stopped.

That's quite an old article you are quoting Snoweagle. (March 8th 2012)

At the time of writing Mella Frewen was only being put forward for a place on the board. However she didn't actually get a place on the board as far as I can see.

"In a unanimous decision, the political groups decided to reject Frewen’s candidacy. Richard Seeber (Germany, PPE) said in ‘Die Presse’: “We reached agreement across all political groups that we don’t support this lady’s candidacy, because we assume that her closeness to Monsanto will inhibit her objectiveness”.

The above quote comes from an article written 20 days later (March 28th 2012)

http://www.gmwatch.org/component/content/article/13801

Ahauchata
18th October 2012, 17:48
I consider myself a pretty mellow soul however want to see my Kundalini start flowing and this is the topic Monsanto!!! This to me is a corrupt and an organization that is against my personal grain of ethics! I don't know how many know this yet not to long ago the current administration now has appointed a former CEO of monsanto to head the FDA - now if that isn't something to think on I don't know what is.