PDA

View Full Version : Genetically Modified Food Label Initiative Failing - Why?

pugwash84
1st November 2012, 14:37
23r2zIynato

I would want info about my foods!

Mozart
1st November 2012, 15:22
Thank you, Pugwash, for posting this.

Jeezzus, we Americans are SO STUPID AND A$$-FVCKED.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID AMERICANS!

Sidney
1st November 2012, 17:29
Manipulation at its finest. %&%&#)&(&*%&$^#!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snookie
1st November 2012, 19:26
Here is a link to a website where people are encouraged to donate so they can get the word out about Prop 37.

http://organicconsumersfund.org/donate/david-goliath.cfm

2nd November 2012, 04:12
They will suck the $$$$$$ out of the poor and uneducated making billions to develop even more insidious methods to sicken us all.

bram
2nd November 2012, 04:34
Labelling of GMO food would be great, but the food lobby will never permit it; in any event, its too late to fix the damage. GMO food crops are grown alongside non-GMO crops without any or adequate segregation, and consequently the GMO/ non-GMO crops are cross pollenating. This means that it is no longer possible to segregate GMO crops, or to even know how much of our food is affected by this experimental technology. Even certified organic food from responsible and environmentally concerned farms can be affected by cross pollenating, and we will never know, until the consequences begin to manifest.

apokalypse
2nd November 2012, 04:46
why do we even have GMO food anyway? people need to wake up stop being a robot obey and follow what ever these Corporations/Elites tell you to do.

bram
2nd November 2012, 08:32
why do we even have GMO food anyway? people need to wake up stop being a robot obey and follow what ever these Corporations/Elites tell you to do.

Increased profit for the agro-industrial corporations. Tomatoes that ''stay fresh'' on the supermarket shelves for months!!

Corncrake
2nd November 2012, 08:58
Thanks for posting. Remember also - and this includes the UK - that livestock can be reared on GM crops and then sold in the shops without labelling. As the article below from 2010 states (and I am pretty sure it hasn't changed) we could be unwittingly drinking milk and eating meat and dairy products from animals fed from genetically modified corn or soya beans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/7852762/Supermarkets-selling-meat-from-animals-fed-GM-crops.html

The Truth Is In There
2nd November 2012, 12:03
can't repeat it often enough. if people can't be bothered they deserve what they get. destroy what (or who) wants to destroy you or it will only get worse.

2nd November 2012, 18:21
I read a post somewhere from a man who used to work in this industry and his comment was this: that he had always understood the actual purpose of the GMO food to be that eventually pesticide could be used to spray all crops, GMO, non GMO and organic and the only crops left surviving would be GMO. So I guess the thinking is that if someone ever comes along and uses Agent Orange on the crops that the GMO crops will live through it. And the poor and uneducated get to be the experimental subject to see if and how long people will be able to eat the food and the effects.

blufire
2nd November 2012, 19:11
The labeling initiative is failing . . . . as will prop 37 because the foundational truth is GMO food is needed for the global population as a whole. The majority of humanity is slowly being acclimated (past 25 years now) to genetically altered food. “They” are slowly working through the problems . . . one generation at a time.

I and my family eat very little gmo food and raise sustainably almost all our food, But I have come to understand or at least acknowledge why mass produced and factory farmed food has become a necessity and will be even more so in the very near future.

There is thread after thread on Avalon about gmo food and how evil it is (most posters opinion) but I have yet to see any thread or information on why this scientifically created food has to be an option. I have broached this several times on PA but only get railed upon . . . and so I have (for the most part) stopped trying.

I have come to the conclusion that it is more kind to the population as a whole to believe that gmo food is evil and let them bitch and complain about it than to tell them the truth on the realities on why gmo food exists.

Dennis Leahy
3rd November 2012, 02:41
The labeling initiative is failing . . . . as will prop 37 because the foundational truth is GMO food is needed for the global population as a whole. The majority of humanity is slowly being acclimated (past 25 years now) to genetically altered food. “They” are slowly working through the problems . . . one generation at a time.

I and my family eat very little gmo food and raise sustainably almost all our food, But I have come to understand or at least acknowledge why mass produced and factory farmed food has become a necessity and will be even more so in the very near future.

There is thread after thread on Avalon about gmo food and how evil it is (most posters opinion) but I have yet to see any thread or information on why this scientifically created food has to be an option. I have broached this several times on PA but only get railed upon . . . and so I have (for the most part) stopped trying.

I have come to the conclusion that it is more kind to the population as a whole to believe that gmo food is evil and let them bitch and complain about it than to tell them the truth on the realities on why gmo food exists.
Hi blufire,

I'm perplexed as to your post.

"truth is GMO food is needed for the global population"? Is it your understanding that GMO food has some attribute that actually makes it live up to the claims (drought resistance, for example)? The GMO cotton is so disastrous in India that there is an epidemic of farmer suicides from failed GMO crops and deep debt to Monsanto. Remember, we're NOT talking about hybrids here, nor are we talking about the amount of food that can be grown on an acre, comparing organic to "conventional" (which is the use of pesticides and herbicides and chemical fertilizers.) Those are completely separate issues.

The separate issues:
Yield-per-acre: It may surprise you, if you believe that what is now called "conventional" farming is required to get high yields per acre. The largest study ever conducted (http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/July05/organic.farm.vs.other.ssl.html) - conducted over a 30 year period - comparing yields between organic and conventional farming, showed that the yields for organic and conventional were the same, but that organic farming used 22% less energy.

Factor in the fact that organic farming creates living soil, living micro-organisms that break down grains of "rock" into minerals (including trace minerals) that are bio-available for plants, and organic farming is also the long-term solution to hunger with nutrient dense and trace mineral rich food. This is something conventional farming cannot touch.

Hybrids and sub-varieties: Farmers and gardeners have been creating and selecting hybrids as long as there has been agriculture. Keep the seeds from your biggest and best pumpkin, or the few grains from a field of wheat that weathered a drought, and you are selecting - naturally selecting - desirable genetic characteristics. Take it a step further, and play the role of a bee as a pollinator, and you can cross strains/varieties of plants beyond what happens in nature. (Grow a small garden with 7 kinds of winter squash all together, and you will get all natural hybrids - I know from experience.) Hybrids are very important to large populations, because with careful hybridization, field trials, and seed selection, the farmer can get more yield, and/or higher nutrient density and/or other characteristics such as drought resistance. If you (you dear reader, not just blufire) have it stuck in your head that GMOs do have benefits, I would bet that you are confusing GMOs and hybrids.

GMO (genetically modified organisms): can be modified for a variety of reasons, and those reasons can range from something that doesn't sound scary (like crossing an apple with a grape - something that could never happen in nature, but sounds kinda tasty), with genetic modification that should be disturbing to everyone - such as crossing a fish with a tomato. (Yes, this was actually done.)

Further, the methods for forcing unnatural crosses, with techniques such as chemically breaking DNA chains and using viral strains to carry genetic payloads produce species that could never, ever have been on Earth naturally. Humans cannot evolve in a few decades to adapt to new species that have never been encountered. Or, humans may "adapt", but the consequences of the adaptations are completely unknown. Monsanto, the poster-child of malevolent corporatocracy, manipulated the legal system by buying their way into the positions of power and buying off legislators. They are an unchecked menace.

The legal groundwork for GMOs started with a Supreme Court decision to allow life forms to be patented. In Monsanto (and a few other GMO producer's) hands, GMOs have metastasized into a clearly greed-driven (not humanity-driven) technology including "suicide seeds" that will not sprout, other seeds that require the proprietary herbicide to get the seeds to sprout - these technologies and the outrageouly aggressive litigation against farmers that happen to be downwind of a Monsanto-tainted field, and it should be obvious that these are sociopathic corporate gambits. And, human beings are the guinea pigs for the (untested by Monsanto) long-term effects.

There is no need for genetically modified food.

Dennis
p.s. Blufire, sorry if this seems like a finger wagged at you. Please, aim it at Monsanto. I know you're the real deal - a "doer" while so many are "observers" and you are of the Earth. I'm guessing I either missed your point or you haven't paid much attention to Monsanto.

Mozart
3rd November 2012, 04:35
There is no need for genetically modified food.

Dennis

Wow, Dennis ... you wrote that post with no copy/pasting? If so, I'm impressed that you have done your homework. Excellent post!

And I agree with you totally. Eff GMO.

I have a personal experience with GMO foods. Years ago I stopped at a local farmer's stand and bought 5 ears of corn for a buck -- commercial corn -- and proceeded to eat one raw, as I almost always eat my corn raw, but almost always organic and not commercial.

So I fell for the siren song of cheap corn on the cob. In just minutes after eating that corn, I started to feel stomach pains, then the pains got worse rapidly to the point which I was on the floor at my place in total, effing PAIN. It was just about the worst pain that I've ever felt, ever.

Two hours of pure agony, then I recovered and had to spend a full day recovering in bed. It turned out that it was goddamn GMO corn.

The next day I went and bought organic corn on the cob and ate one cob raw. NO problem at all and it digested just fine. Wow. I never knowingly bought GMO veggies after that.

~Mozart

TigaHawk
3rd November 2012, 08:27
I still cannot believe people are ok with the idea of food producing its own pestacides to kill bugs.

But then forget about the fact that its not just a topical treatment of pestacide anymore. the plant ITSELF produces these toxins. which dont dissapear when you cook or wash your food. You injest it.

Similar to how a pestacide is "good for your teeth" (flouride)

phillipbbg
3rd November 2012, 08:38
If I was a food manufacturer I would be quite happy to label my goods as NOT CONTAINING GMO INGREDIENTS instead of everyone wanting the manufacturers to say when they have GMO in their goods why don't people focus on the other angle and make not containing GMO the positive...

After all every manufacturer is compelled by LAW to label their products and state ingredients so why don't they say GMO FREE seems like a no brainer to me, but obviously every manufacturer has GMO ingredients in their products....

You can see why sourcing your food in raw form is becoming ever more important.

bram
3rd November 2012, 09:11

Are you subscribing to the theory that we need GMO food because there is not enough food to feed the world? In fact there is more than enough food to feed the world. People are starving because they can't afford to buy it! At the same time, prices are held high by destroying vast amounts of food every year, and of course by diverting more and more edible foodstuffs to biofuel use- all to help the rich wetsrners to maintain their unsustainable lifestyle.

The majority of countries where people are starving are actually net food exporters, but the poor in those countries can't get near the food which is produced solely for consumption in the west. Criminal, isn't it?

But hey, back to the point. Why shouldn't GMO food be labelled, so that at least people can choose whether or not they want to buy it? It seems to me that any group of people who are seeking to conceal facts (in any situation) can't be holding an honest agenda.

blufire
3rd November 2012, 21:06
I only have a few minutes. Our power is still out in this part of Virginia (thanks to the haarp manipulation of Hurricane Sandy) and we only run the generator for short periods of time.

First a bit more regarding the OP and labeling initiatives . . . below is a post I made on the “Monsanto Preparing for the Worst” thread. Labeling will not work and will cost the farmer (honest farmers) a great deal more and therefore the consumer more. Therefore true organic farmers will be forced to stop farming for the general public. I know from personal experience because the expenses of becoming ‘certified organic” and remaining certified became too costly . . . .which is another reason unscrupulous farmers just buy the stupid label and stick it on their food . . . the same will happen with labeling. I no longer farm for the general public . . only for my family, friends and few trusted others.

Warning . . .huge ugly rant about to ensue . . . .

So many here think that buying food products with a little sticker that says “USDA Certified Organic” means they are eating GMO free and organic food????

Well I am here to tell you that this is one of the most infuriating stupid assumptions among the general public today.

I was one of the organic farmers who truly grew organic food right down to the organic food I fed my animals. I cut my cost to the bare bones so everyone could afford the food grown on my farm . . . . and you know WHAT????

My prices were undercut by many farmers in the Kansas City area who grew herbicide pesticide laden fruits and vegetables and bought the “usda organic labels” and stuck it on their products. ANYBODY can go to many websites and purchase that stupid little label.

I know for an absolute, clear, 200% fact that the buffalo meat that the Whole Foods and Hen House in Overland Park Kansas sold and probably still sells under the label New Grass Bison Co. of who says their product is all natural, grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free is a bald face filthy liar. I have been at livestock auctions and specifically buffalo auctions where we sold our buffalo that were no longer completely organic and natural usually from an illness that required a strong round of antibiotics. No only did he (the owner of New Grass) buy our buffalo that were no longer clean he bought any and all buffalo that was dirt cheap usually because they were sick or so old they were about to die. I confronted him more than once and his answer was to laugh and say what ‘they’ don’t know won’t hurt them and when I pressed him he would laugh harder and say well ‘sue me’. We could not get a contract to sell to Whole Foods and Hen House because New Grass undercut our prices with his nasty bison. . . . .

So yeah . . . be naïve and stupid . . . .buy food with that cute little label . . . it will be all right . . . . . eat and be happy

Dennis, thank you so much for your reply and finger wagging . . . . I am in no way offended or upset . . .especially since it is you doing the wagging. :hug: I am fully aware my posts dumfound many and seem very hypocritical, conflicting and confusing.

I have been at this ‘rabbit hole’ stuff for many many years now and this past summer I went down a very different rabbit hole and sat there for a very long time . . . while in this rabbit hole I examined everything I thought was “Truth” and l tore it apart and started examining it ALL from a very different place. It is through this reexamination that has enabled me to see clearly a much deeper, foundational (I feel) perspective and Truth.

My quandary is I would like to share my reexamined views from this very deep rabbit hole, but it is so very different than the opinions and views on PA. I just don’t feel I have the energy or time to devote to trying to explain or debate these new foundational perspectives.

I will say this. . . .from this new perspective the deeper Truths surrounding topics such as chemtrails, GMO, haarp, NWO, illuminati, human genome, solar cycles and climate change makes much more sense . . . . .

Everything you wrote in your post is mostly accurate and I agree and am very knowledgeable on the things you brought up . . . such as hybrids and yields.

Dennis you asked:

Is it your understanding that GMO food has some attribute that actually makes it live up to the claims (drought resistance, for example)?

My answer from the mouth of my new rabbit hole is . . . . fundamentally Yes. But not for this day and time . . . . I have come to believe the ‘controllers’ are researching food alternatives all the way down to seed for a time in the future. I have come to believe they have knowledge on what our future earth could possibly be like and are adapting as quickly as possible with as many alternatives to this possible new future Earth which includes extreme drought, constant climate change, pestilence and plague. I also believe these measures are not for the good of all humanity but for the preservation of a specific human genome.

Does this mean that humanity is doomed . . . . absolutely NO . . . we have the intelligence to watch unemotionally and pragmatically what the controllers are doing. Use this knowledge, turn it to wisdom and adapt on our own.

Maybe someday I will start a couple threads and see where they go . . . . . .

Paul
7th November 2012, 21:28
But I have come to understand or at least acknowledge why mass produced and factory farmed food has become a necessity and will be even more so in the very near future.
That might be the key sentence in what you wrote blufire, that explains your thinking, in a post that baffled many of us here.

Yes, blufire and some others with stronger backs and clearer minds than most of us can probably get about as much out of an acre of land as the big industrial farmers can.

But I'll wager that a big industrial farmer and a few employees can get a lot more out of 10,000 acres than blufire could, with traditional, back to nature, farming techniques and the same handful of people.

Such big agra methods aren't sustainable in their current forum; we're destroying mother earth and traditional human societies.

But, as blufire reports she is doing with coal mining in the Appalachians (here (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?41993-URGENT-REQUEST-Timeline-Manifestation-Now-&p=572863&viewfull=1#post572863)), one has to work through the current to get to the future, not just rant over what has been lost.

(Next time some one asks me what is the meaning of the word "work", I might be tempted to respond with a one word answer that will surely baffle the heck out of them if they aren't a member of this forum: "blufire".)

Hervé
8th November 2012, 02:00
[...]

I will say this. . . .from this new perspective the deeper Truths surrounding topics such as chemtrails, GMO, haarp, NWO, illuminati, human genome, solar cycles and climate change makes much more sense . . . . .

Everything you wrote in your post is mostly accurate and I agree and am very knowledgeable on the things you brought up . . . such as hybrids and yields.

[...]
. . . . I have come to believe the ‘controllers’ are researching food alternatives all the way down to seed for a time in the future. I have come to believe they have knowledge on what our future earth could possibly be like and are adapting as quickly as possible with as many alternatives to this possible new future Earth which includes extreme drought, constant climate change, pestilence and plague. I also believe these measures are not for the good of all humanity but for the preservation of a specific human genome.

Does this mean that humanity is doomed . . . . absolutely NO . . . we have the intelligence to watch unemotionally and pragmatically what the controllers are doing. Use this knowledge, turn it to wisdom and adapt on our own.

Maybe someday I will start a couple threads and see where they go . . . . . .

Hi Bluefire,

Please, read these PDF's and let me/us know if their contents corroborate your recent, profound understanding:

http://www.soldierhugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Geoengineering.pdf

http://www.soldierhugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Commenter-QA-Geoengineering-1st-Volley.pdf

http://www.soldierhugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Time-and-Timelines-1.pdf

From the thread: Geoengineering, Chemtrails, HAARP,World Orders, Time Lines and Ascension (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?51752-Geoengineering-Chemtrails-HAARP-World-Orders-Time-Lines-and-Ascension)

blufire
8th November 2012, 04:26
Amzer zo . . I am part way through the second PDF and I am pretty shook and relieved at the same time. Much of what he is saying is like an echo to my own thoughts. There are distinct differences though. I want to finish reading and digest the material and will respond on the other thread.

Paul you brought me to tears with your understanding and support. . . I thank you deeply

penn
8th November 2012, 04:39
http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/. This site has a shopping guide for non GMO products.

They also have (ShopNoGmo) a smart phone app that has third party verification of non Gmo food.

Some days are so discouraging when I think that I am making safe food and the next day find out I am not.

I watched the video Dr. Mercola had posted this weekend with the farmers talking about their court cases and troubles with the cross contamination of organic and GMO. I am so sad for the farmer's that are trying to fight this and for all of us eaters.

Paul
8th November 2012, 07:25
But I'll wager that a big industrial farmer and a few employees can get a lot more out of 10,000 acres than blufire could, with traditional, back to nature, farming techniques and the same handful of people.
One more thought ... if you count just the net food production, how much food can be shipped by rail and sea half way around the world, then the production of a single 10,000 industrial farm with a handful of workers is much larger than that of 1000 small farms, each of 10 acres, each tended by a small family.

Far too much is "lost", to the farmer and his family, in the case of small farms, from the perspective of the global industrialists. It's not food in the tummy that matters to the big industrialists; it's food sold into the global economic system at "competitive" (aka cheap) prices.

In the late 1800's, the wheat and corn crops of the US Midwest first became available via rail and steam ship to Europe in large quantity, at prices lower than could be grown locally in Europe. Many small European farms closed down as a result. That was a major element of the first great round of economic globalization in modern times. We are now coming off the peak of the second round of globalization.

If I grow something on my own farm and my family consumes it, that food is not involved in the global economic system (despite US Supreme Court decisions based on the Commerce Clause to the contrary.) Even selling it to my neighbor doesn't count. All such local production and consumption bypasses the world economic system. It's only the net production, ready to ship via rail and sea anywhere in the world, at competitive commodity prices, that supports the world economic system.

(Personally, I continue to buy milk, eggs, meat and other such produce locally whenever I can.)