PDA

View Full Version : Clean up your own mess and then you start cleaning up your own World.....

truth4me
20th November 2012, 16:49
First of all I'm not here passing judgement on anyone but I can pass judgement on actions. I'm amazed at the actions of people when it comes to litter. How damn hard is it to throw trash in a garbage can when it's right beside you? Seriously here. I work in a retail store we have a trash can right at the door yet people still throw used diapers right on the ground and it really PMO to see people dump their cigarette butts also on the ground. Let's see I've seen beer bottles and the card board boxes their come in,half eaten food in plastic containers that get run over br drivers,used non winning lottery tickets, clothes, candy wrappers galore,plastic cups,empty cigarette packages and on and on.....

I used to be in that crowd years ago and since my awakening I seen the errors of my ways and now it really hurts me to see how the everyday person trashes the planet.

If every person would take self responsibility in cleaning their own mess up and if parents would teach their children to do the same then the world would be such a better place.

Say you think we live on a Prison Planet? .............I think I know why.

Limor Wolf
20th November 2012, 17:23
Hi truth4me, I agree with your every word. I find myself bending to pick up litter from the sidewalk while walking on the street, sometimes twice in a row. I think you worded it very well.

They say peace begins within, and we might agree that cleanup too.

Jules
20th November 2012, 17:35
I agree Truth4me. People littering is one of my pet peeves also. I remember in school we had a project where we created our own island, we chose what was on it, and rules. One of my rules was no littering, or that person would have to do service to make the island more beautiful. Then I thought about it, this planet is kind of like my island. It needs to be treated well, and people should respect it. So that project made me think. People litter in my yard all the time. I get annoyed that I have to pick up after them, but I don't want to look at their mess either (that annoys me more). In a perfect world, those people would think, and not act so thoughtlessly toward the world around them.

boja
20th November 2012, 18:25
I also agree that the litter problem needs rectifying.

Until recently I used to enjoy walking around some lovely green fields locally, but my friends and I noticed the gradual increase of discarded litter. It reached the point where we took large bags and picked it all up.
Sadly, the problem slowly returns, and we are continually cleaning up behind these people.

I believe that the statement about parents teaching their children not to leave litter is extremely important.

GrnEggsNHam
20th November 2012, 18:38
It's funny because as I child I would often remark about all the garbage I saw as we drove down the road. I also remember a rather extensive anti-littering campaign going on when I was a bit older, probably around 1995 or so. Recently I too have noticed more and more litter amassing on our pathways(in spite of allocated garbage bins everywhere these days, because even I can remember when those did not exist). It's really rather comical to think these people believe their actions have no consequences. I chuckle as I pick up garbage right next to the designated trash bin. These folks truly believe their existence is meaningless and has no bearing whatsoever. That's the root cause if you ask me.

shadowstalker
20th November 2012, 18:57
I agree as well , my niece and her man do not clean up after themselves ( then they got the gall to complain that the bug guy wont do his job) but scream at there 4 yr old for not picking up after herself, really? does that work at all ...no..
The type of parents that are like "do as I say not as I do" peeves me to no end, but only cuz they treat there child as there personal slave..
If they want to make excuses for not picking up then its on them, but at least practice what you preach when it come to the next generation.

And I hate the fact that the trash pick up don't do recycle bins for apartment complexes.

And deposits only go for specifically mark bottles glass/plastics if it is not stamp they wont touch it, it goes right in the trash.

Oh man sorry about that, rant time, grrr, need to calm down, time to read a funny post.

Chester
20th November 2012, 19:15
Imagine if each of us took responsibility for the trash we throw out that comes from our own mind? The trash being "judgement" of one another. That is completely different than condoning unacceptable behavior. I agree it is unacceptable to litter. I also believe we should do our best not to create "trash" which has no way of assimilating with the ecosystem. Unfortunately, I can only impose these things upon myself or I may end up judging others as good or bad and that, to me, is the very worst trash I can throw around. justoneman

DeDukshyn
20th November 2012, 19:20
I have no issues telling people to pick up their s**t. People still usually don't, but even if I embarrassed them a little (which usually happens), I consider it a task completed ;)

A simple pleasant reminder is all it takes, and even if you didn't get the response you wanted, you still likely had some effect ;)

Daughter of Time
20th November 2012, 19:27
In Canada, there are fines for littering the streets.

Several years ago some relatives were visiting from Europe. They were shocked that people would walk a block to deposit their litter. In large cities, one finds trash and recycling bins in almost every corner. There are three bins: one for garbage, one for recycling paper products, and one for cans and bottles.

When I explained to my relatives that the fines here are: $500.00 for throwing any trash on the street, $750.00 for throwing trash out of a car's window, and $1,000.00 for throwing a burning cigarette out of a car's window, they understood. They also remarked that it was a pleasure to walk on such clean streets where one would not have to fear stepping into anything. I don't remember what the fine is for letting one's dog poop outside, whether on the street or in a park, without picking it up in a plastic, biodegradable bag, but I know it's quite steep.

I witnessed a man throwing his paper discards on the street after finishing the food he had consumed. Some people standing at a bus stop noticed and severely reprimanded him. At first he was angry and told them to mind their own business, but the crowd answered that keeping the streets clean is their business, so he picked up his trash and walked over to the garbage bin.

Of course, what happens in people's homes is another story. But the streets are indeed very clean here. If any garbage is thrown on the streets, it usually happens late at night when teen-agers are roaming around.

GrnEggsNHam
20th November 2012, 20:05

Several years ago some relatives were visiting from Europe. They were shocked that people would walk a block to deposit their litter. In large cities, one finds trash and recycling bins in almost every corner. There are three bins: one for garbage, one for recycling paper products, and one for cans.

When I explained to my relatives that the fines here are: $500.00 for throwing any trash on the street, $750.00 for throwing trash out of a car's window, and $1,000.00 for throwing a burning cigarette out of a car's window, they understood. They also remarked that it was a pleasure to walk on such clean streets where one would not have to fear stepping into anything. I don't remember what the fine is for letting one's dog poop outside, whether on the street or in a park, without picking it up in a plastic, biodegradable bag, but I know it's quite steep.

I witnessed a man throwing his paper discards on the street after finishing the food he had consumed. Some people standing at a bus stop noticed and severely reprimanded him. At first he was angry and told them to mind their own business, but the crowd answered that keeping the streets clean is their business, so he picked up his trash and walked over to the garbage bin.

Of course, what happens in people's homes is another story. But the streets are indeed very clean here. If any garbage is thrown on the streets, it usually happens late at night when teen-agers are roaming around.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/env-res/states-with-littering-penalties.aspx#va

Virginia
§ 33.1-346
Misdemeanor. Punishable by confinement in jail for not more than twelve months, a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $2,500, or both. In lieu of jail, the court may order community service in litter abatement activities.
Most states in the USA have similar fines/penalties. As noted above where I live. However they are not strictly enforced and are basically ignored :tsk:

I applaud Canada and it's citizens for keeping their environment a little more pristine than their neighbors to the south.

Corncrake
20th November 2012, 20:42
I remember visiting the USSR during perestroika (mid to late 1980's) and being surprised by the clean streets in Moscow, the immaculate underground (metro/subway) stations and lack of graffitti. I was told that people were encouraged to pick up litter and hand it back to the person who had dropped it. There were no advertising hoardings either. Of course this has now changed but it was very refreshing at the time.

truth4me
20th November 2012, 21:40
I mean we talk about serious issues from time to time here on the forum. Recently the Telsa death ray which is very real. There is nothing the average person can do about that YET the average person CAN pick up after themselves. I realize this problem of litter by humans has been here since when ever. It's the little things that keep us locked up here. Litter is not practing love of self for if you love yourself then you would love your neighbor and love nature and realize the beauty of nature. I'm teaching my grandson who is six and when his friends come over I tell them how important it is to pick up after themselves and explain in their terms why. I can't do nothing about my past actions BUT I have took control of the NOW in which I live.......trash in my world gets put in its proper place.

WhiteFeather
21st November 2012, 02:30
Mother Earth needs all the help she can get. And She's not too fond of the human species to say the least. She may ask us to leave soon. Shape up or ship the f..k off this planet. Great Thread.. Wanishi : )

If i may interject this video here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

shadowstalker
21st November 2012, 02:49
@ WhiteFeather
That commercial always makes me cry

Wind
21st November 2012, 03:40
It is shameful to see people throwing their trash to the streets when there are trash bins everywhere. People just don't care about anything these days. That's why the world is in such a sad state right now. We should respect mother nature, because she is beautiful as she is. It won't be always like that if we do not start to take take responsibility for our actions.

Flash
21st November 2012, 03:49

Several years ago some relatives were visiting from Europe. They were shocked that people would walk a block to deposit their litter. In large cities, one finds trash and recycling bins in almost every corner. There are three bins: one for garbage, one for recycling paper products, and one for cans and bottles.

This must not be Montreal for sure, I do not recognize such a city..... let me guess: Regina???

mosquito
21st November 2012, 05:54
Agreed, and frankly it's the attitude that bugs me, people just chucking things away when there is a bin right next to them, I genuinely can't comprehend it. The only time I threw litter on the ground is when I lived back in Britain and I was at a railway station, where the authorities decided to do away with rubbish bins in order to protect us from bombs - in that situation, I'd make a point of droppng litter, and hope the moronic managers would have fun cleaning up.

As for dog sh1t - don't get me started on that .......

torti
21st November 2012, 06:41
Here in New Zealand we also have laws against littering. But it is rarely enforced. One of my main focuses at Uni, was marine debris. Which lead me onto more and more forms of environmental pollution. And the core realization I came to, has already been stated here. It is how you are raised, the values instilled in you as a child, the respect you have for your own environment, and everyone shared this core value, even the bigger pollution issues would be reduced a huge amount.

I was born in Zimbabwe (Africa), and the litter there was incredible. Even thinking back on it now, it still shocks me. And I was a part of it. I wasn't raised to care about these things, I would very casually throw whatever I pleased where-ever I pleased. When I was 13 I went on a camping trip with some family friends. I remember sitting in the back of the truck, eating some crisps, and when I was done I just lifted the bag, let the wind catch it and let it go. The father (and the driver) saw this, and stopped the truck, made me get out and walk back to find the bag, and bring it back. I haven't done it since.

A few years ago I used to live on the West Coast in Auckland, beautiful wild high powered beaches. I used to go almost weekly to gather mussels from the rocks at low tide, and I would always take 2 bags, one for the mussels and one for all the litter and debris I would pick up on my way back. Nature would give to me, so I would give back by helping her breathe easier. I don't look with anger at people that litter, I look at them with a sense of pity. I see the lack of value in themselves and their surroundings, it is sad. As for picking up litter, it makes me feel good. I might not make a huge difference, but a difference I do make.

bram
21st November 2012, 06:58
As for dog sh1t - don't get me started on that .......

What about the dog **** Philip?

PS- any news from the interview?

Tony
21st November 2012, 09:08
We could start be watching what we say...and think!