PDA

View Full Version : Journalists, keep your integrity!

Tony
28th November 2012, 12:21
John Pilger is a hero of the journalistic profession who kept his integrity in tack to what is actually going on in the world.

Dear Journalists,
Please stand up for what is true and right, and not what you are told to say, or ignore.

vpTZKnNrnAQ

Tony
28th November 2012, 13:02
Is it possible that the new law to restrict the press, is NOT about restricting news papers, but to create fear in journalists?

Keep your nose clean and keep your job!

THIS GOES FOR TELEVISION AND RADIO COVERAGE.

Tony
28th November 2012, 14:12
Carrying propaganda....zero news!

lFDwdRXCg3I

Corncrake
28th November 2012, 14:33
Thanks for posting. I have enormous respect for John Pilger and really needed to listen to this while Leveson is summing up. I used to have so much respect for the BBC but now am often more concerned about what they are NOT reporting than the actual coverage. With regard to your last point, since the recent Newsnight debacle I have been aware of certain journalists I follow on Twitter going very quiet so yes there is fear out there. I really wanted to see Murdoch's power curbed but not at the expense of good journalism. It was interesting what Pilger had to say about Wikileaks too - I think (if the books I have read are to be believed) that in Julian Assange's rather capricious treatment of his chosen journalists/newspapers that he ended up making enemies of the press rather than allies. I think his own ego got in the way.

Grumpy Cat
28th November 2012, 14:47
If only we had journalists like Jeremy Clarkson in every arm of the media- he says it how is and damn what everyone thinks of him.

Corncrake
28th November 2012, 15:22
Really enjoyed 'Outfoxed' too - loved the way Roger Ailes the CEO and Chairman of Fox News (ex Media Consultant for Reagan, Nixon and Bush Snr) said they would like to be premiere journalists and would like to restore objectivity! The documentary then goes on to show Fox News' techniques'. 85% of guests on Fox News are republican and the few liberal guests interviewed are carefully chosen to be non-confrontational. For some of us Fox News is a joke but I have an American acquaintance from Florida living in London who has the Fox News channel on all day on every television in her house - and it's not for the laughs.

Tarka the Duck
28th November 2012, 15:33
Hello thorshammer and welcome to Avalon!

I'm not sure if you meant that tongue-in-cheek - if so, ignore what follows! :o

If only we had journalists like Jeremy Clarkson in every arm of the media- he says it how is and damn what everyone thinks of him.

Well, that thought makes my blood run cold…telling it like it is?! This is the man who is paid an obscenely huge salary (apparently in excess of £3m in 2012) to sail close to the wind, making outrageous statements in the name of humour.
As he said to Alastiair Campbell, "I don't believe what I write, any more than you believe what you say" I don't think shows much integrity...

For those of you unfamiliar with his gems, here's a flavour: he has…

…mocked Korean automobile workers for eating dogs and Malaysian ones for wearing "leaves for shoes".
… branded BMW as "Nazis",
…joked about the tragedy of the Chinese cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay
…compared a Toyota Prius camper van to people with "growths" on their faces
...called people who commit suicide by throwing themselves in front of trains "selfish"

And here are a few of his quotes:

On truck drivers:
You've got the change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute. Change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day

On public sector strikers:
I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families

On the Welsh:
What's the point of the Welsh?…all they do is provide a silly maypole around which a bunch of hotheads can get all nationalistic

On the Ferrary F430:
It's a bit wrong…that smiling front end…it looked like a simpleton…it should have been called the 430 Special Needs

On lesbians:
They should stick to wearing sensible shoes and not shaving their moustaches.

If you like the offensive, derogatory, puerile, stereotypical, bigoted, narrow-minded approach, I suppose he could be seen as "telling it like it is".
He gets off on causing outrage and indignation - but unfortunately he doesn't target issues that that actually matter,

Unfortunately, the celebrity Jeremy Clarkson comes across as caring only about the promotion of the celebrity Jeremy Clarkson.

Now John Pilger...there's class for you.

Kathie

PS sorry if I came across a bit strongly here :rolleyes: but some of the statements Mr Clarkson has made in the past push my buttons!
I realise that you are probably suggesting him as being a role model because of his outspoken manner and his refusal to self-moderate out of fear of possible consequences: looking at him in that way, I can see where you're coming from, thorshammer.

Tony
30th November 2012, 08:16
Who are you really working for, and why? Is it the truth, or someone else's truth you expound?

U0sXzlLAFDA

conk
30th November 2012, 16:06
Old Chinese saying: Journalist who cherish integrous attitude search for other job after dismissal.