PDA

View Full Version : Cavemen Trump Modern Artists at Drawing Animals

Skywizard
7th December 2012, 14:44
Found this on Yahoo this morning and thought it was interesting and worth a post.
(hope this isn't already posted but I searched)

Can you believe some think they were almost animals and just lived in caves.
Don't think so!

Reading this reminded me of the commercial "so simple a caveman can do it". :o

Paleolithic people living more than 10,000 years ago had a better artistic eye than modern painters and sculptures — at least when it came to watching how horses and other four-legged animals move.
A new analysis of 1,000 pieces of prehistoric and modern artwork finds that "cavemen," or people living during the upper Paleolithic period between 10,000 and 50,000 years ago, were more accurate in their depictions of four-legged animals walking than artists are today. While modern artists portray these animals walking incorrectly 57.9 percent of the time, prehistoric cave painters only made mistakes 46.2 percent of the time.
Modern artists are also worse at capturing the gait of horses and other quadrupeds than taxidermists, anatomy textbook writers and toy figurine designers, the researchers report today (Dec. 5) in the open-access journal PLOS ONE.

See story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/cavemen-trump-modern-artists-drawing-animals-220459396.html

Peace
~skywizard

Ellisa
8th December 2012, 00:09
Whilst this is interesting, I think that the Da Vinci sketch is in fact accurate in some movements of a horse's gait. It is the raised hoof that is part of dressage and other displays, so is quite common to see. Also that prehistoric elephant is attempting a ballet pointe I think!

However I also believe that those 'cavemen' artists did make some wonderfully graceful and accurate drawings.