PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour of meteor fragments while entering atmosphere?

McMaster
9th December 2012, 16:30
Hello all!

It's been a while since I've written anything here. And this question just popped in my mind while I was watching ancient astronauts on telly. Some years back while I was living in Australia, I saw what I think was a meteor. But now thinking about it, I'm not so sure about it. I drew a rough scetch about the whole event and will attach it to the bottom. It was late at night, I were having a smoke at the back and scanning the sky like I always were when outside. I saw a bright balll of light moving fairly fast from west to east direction. After a couple of seconds from the main ball of light literally dropped another light ball straight down on a sort of curved line, then another and another. Three balls of light fell from the main one and after that the main one faided fairly soon. Also those fallen fragments faided away quickly.

What I realised now was the fact, that if those fragments were just meteor fragments, wouldn't they continue to the same direction and with same speed than the main rock entering the atmosphere?

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=19572&d=1355070411

mojo
9th December 2012, 16:38
Thanks 4 sharing, I filmed something similar but only one object came down and it appeared the object was moving almost straight down instead of the angle you show in the drawing.

McMaster
9th December 2012, 16:41
Well, the movement was most likely straight down, curve is just representing relative to the movement of the main object and it is atleast almost 3 years ago, so don't remember every detail of it.

mojo
9th December 2012, 17:22
np...Your observation is very intriguing McMaster, and welcome back on Avalon.