PDA

View Full Version : Codex Alimentarius full speed!

Eram
12th December 2012, 09:34
As of 14 December, a European regulation is in action, that limits all health claims for foods, food additives and natural health care, unless approved by a regulatory authority.

earth-matters.nl (http://www.earth-matters.nl/13/6890/grenswetenschap/op-14-december-2012-zal-de-codex-alimentarius-in-de-hoogste-versnelling-worden-geschakeld.html)

Codex is a subsidiary body of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations and the World Health Organization (WHO). Codex develops international food safety and quality standards, including standards for the safety of food additives. Standards adopted by the Codex be made, assume that in a less developed country at least feasible. The Codex has more than 170 States in the framework, including the EU and the U.S. for decades participate.

One of the countries that will act as a test platform for the implementation of this regulation is the Netherlands.
They aim to implement this codex world wide.

Already, a homoeopathic apothecary (hahnemann (http://www.hahnemann.nl/)) received a penalty of 400.000 Euro (that's right...four hundred thousand) for acting in violation with the codex.
The penalty got remitted when they promised to change their policy.

A publisher of a popular Dutch magazine got a warning from the NVWA (The Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority) with a threat of a 30.000 Euro penalty for publishing an article wherein the writer referred to a particular brand of chocolate that claimed to have a beneficial effect on diabetes.

They mean business.
This regulation is not going to blow over like when they tried to ban the free downloading of music on the internet.

a few consequences of the implementation of the codex:
* Product names can not be associated with medical claims
* Publishers of journals should not recommend products with medical claims.
* Medical claims in food information leaflets, which are specially designed for resellers and professionals (such as doctors or therapists) are prohibited.
* Ads about food should not refer to other documents or websites that medical claims (about the product or its ingredients) contain.
* If a particular food is advertised on a website, there should be no connection or link, anywhere on that website, are to medical information about the product or any of the ingredients.
* A website with a particular food product may not link or link to pages outside the site with medical information related to these products, whatever the nature of the medical information. Even medical claims for products in a chat room on the Internet are prohibited.

Basically, what this means is that every website's or magazine's ability for informing or advocating a certain product for the benefit of your health will become under the full control of this codex.. and anyone who has studied this codex will find that the codex is written for and with the help of the powers that want you to be a slave of the Big Pharmacy companies.

http://www.codexalimentarius.org/standards/en/

Even Chat boxes and Fora where people communicate about alternative health means, will become prohibited, so the 'Alternative Medicine & Sciences' section of this forum will have to go as well.

What are your thoughts?

Will this be the draconian regulation that it appears to be?
Are we going to find ways to by pass this?

ROMANWKT
12th December 2012, 09:56
My only answer to all of them is BOLLOCK$, IT WILL NEVER WORK AND THEY KNOW IT, ITS ANOTHER CHALLENGE TO US ALL.

Regards

roman

Tony
12th December 2012, 09:57
We will have to go back to learning what the hedgerows have to offer!
...nettles...dandelions..hawthorn berries........ let's see if they can ban that!

Eram
12th December 2012, 10:13
...nettles...dandelions..hawthorn berries........ let's see if they can ban that!

I hope you are right, but there are signs that they will even find ways to restrict those.
In Canada, they are already trying to get parsley and lots of other natural produce prohibited.

http://www.dog-nutrition-naturally.com/natural-health-products.html

[... Health Canada is on track to eliminate 75% of natural health products.

Did you know that LAWS HAVE ALREADY BEEN PASSED removing your Constitutional rights to use safe, natural alternatives, rather than drugs?

The NHPD has actually being trying to close down this industry for years and years but, they are much closer now.

The NHPD has succeeded in having over 17,0000 natural health products taken off the market this last year.

For example...in their 'wisdom' a licence has been denied to Nature's Sunshine's pure ' parsley ' capsules.

Parsley...yeah, you know that stuff everyone grows in their garden, and puts on a plate for garnish.

Parsley has a long history of use for improving kidney function. Parsley is rich in sodium and potassium, necessary to regulate fluids in the body, lower blood pressure, and slow the pulse.

Is that crazy or what??? ...]

http://optimumhealthvitamins.com/Articles/February2010Article.aspx

As a voting Canadian citizen, I am absolutely fed up with having my natural health alternatives removed by Health Canada’s Natural Health Product (NHP) Regulations, and want them stopped! Obviously some form of regulation is in order, but the agency has gone too far.

Health Canada is refusing to license over 20,000 NHPs with multiple ingredients for lack of documented proof that they are effective. Yet they knew long before the regulations were enacted there was no way that most NHP combinations would pass. (Clinical efficacy trials are rarely performed on such NHP mixtures, since they are not patentable.) Given that the most effective NHPs usually contain synergistic combinations of ingredients, it seems that getting rid of these products was Health Canada’s intention all along. And when Health Canada says they are “simply making NHPs prove their claims”, remember that all NHPs were forced to make a claim after Health Canada moved them into the Drug category.

Health Canada is out of its legal jurisdiction on this matter. Their legal authority applies only in criminal matters, and whether I want to use herbs like ginger, cinnamon, parsley, and turmeric mixed together in a capsule is hardly a criminal matter. Please consider the following:

These substances have already been combined in our food supply for thousands of years.
Virtually all of the ingredients in the NHP combinations in question have already been licensed for sale individually by Health Canada.
The manufacturing facilities for these NHPs have also been inspected and approved.
Most of products being barred have been sold in Canada to satisfied consumers for decades.
Problems have been exceedingly rare, with miniscule risk. According to Poison Control statistics, there has never been a death in Canada attributed to a Natural Health Product.

Shade
12th December 2012, 10:27
Even Chat boxes and fora where people communicate about alternative health means, will become prohibited, so the 'Alternative Medicine & Sciences' section of this forum will have to go as well.

a website with information about the codex:
http://www.healthymoneyvine.com/codex-alimentarius.html

[... "The proposed Codex Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements will not apply in Australia and will have no impact on the way these types of products are regulated in Australia." (4)
The bottom line is that no one knows what types of laws will be passed before Codex harmonisation occurs, and no country is safe from these international guidelines, regardless of what government agencies are saying in order to quell pre-emptively any potential public uprising. Many alternative health activists believe this may be a method to confuse and obfuscate the Codex issue until it is too late. Some Codex standards which are proposed to take effect in the near future, and which will be completely irrevocable once initiated, include: (5)

All nutrients (e.g., vitamins and minerals) are to be considered toxins/poisons and are to be removed from all food because Codex prohibits the use of nutrients to "prevent, treat or cure any condition or disease".
All food (including organic) is to be irradiated, thus removing all "toxic" nutrients from food (unless consumers can source their food locally). The precursor to Codex harmonisation in this area began in the USA in August 2008 with the clandestine decision to mandate the mass irradiation of all lettuce and spinach in the name of public health and safety. If the safety of the public was the main concern of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), then why were people not alerted to this new practice?
Nutrients allowed will be limited to a Positive List developed by Codex; it will include such "beneficial" nutrients as fluoride (3.8 mg daily), sourced from industrial waste.
All nutrients (e.g., vitamins A, B, C, D, zinc and magnesium) that have any positive health impact on the body will be deemed illegal in therapeutic doses under Codex and are to be reduced to amounts negligible to health, with maximum limits set at 15 per cent of the current Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)(6) You will not be able to obtain these nutrients in therapeutic doses anywhere in the world, even with a prescription. Potentially permissible safe levels of nutrients under the Codex are not yet set in stone. Some probable examples based on the European Union (EU) system may include:
...]

What are your thoughts?

Will this be the draconian regulation that it appears to be?
Are we going to find ways to by pass this?

This article [the linked one] is terrible!:

"All nutrients (e.g., vitamins and minerals) are to be considered toxins/poisons and are to be removed from all food because Codex prohibits the use of nutrients to "prevent, treat or cure any condition or disease"."

No.. the nutrient will not be forcibly removed from the food.. it is just that you cannot make claims about what it does medically. You can't claim that something cures a particular disease or whatever. Vitamins and supplements won't be removed from the market either. They are necessarily prescribed by doctors... they will ALWAYS be available on the shelves. What won't be allowed is claims from people and companies about what they have the power to cure medically.
The regulations do not prohibit the use of vitamins and minerals to cure diseases, it prohibits the claims that they do.

Forums of course are allowed to continue and speak what they like but products just can't link to this discussion on or with their products.

The assumptions this particular article has made are utterly ridiculous.

Eram
12th December 2012, 10:31
This article [the linked one] is terrible!:

"All nutrients (e.g., vitamins and minerals) are to be considered toxins/poisons and are to be removed from all food because Codex prohibits the use of nutrients to "prevent, treat or cure any condition or disease"."

No.. the nutrient will not be forcibly removed from the food.. it is just that you cannot make claims about what it does medically. You can't claim that something cures a particular disease or whatever. Vitamins and supplements won't be removed from the market either. They are necessarily prescribed by doctors... they will ALWAYS be available on the shelves. What won't be allowed is claims from people and companies about what they have the power to cure medically.
The regulations do not prohibit the use of vitamins and minerals to cure diseases, it prohibits the claims that they do.

Forums of course are allowed to continue and speak what they like but products just can't link to this discussion on or with their products.

The assumptions this particular article has made are utterly ridiculous.

You are right Shade... I should have seen that myself.
I will delete that part of the OP.

thanks for bringing that to my attention.

about the fora and Chat boxes... I'm not so sure.
I will have to look them up again, but I have read several sources that claim that this will become a problem as well.
It all comes down to how they will actually implement the guidelines.

Tony
12th December 2012, 10:40
Well, perhaps it's a stepping stone to their final objective.

Shade
12th December 2012, 10:48
Hey man, you don't have to change it.. it's just what some other person has written about it... it's all info.

And pie and eel, I think that there are limits beyond which they can't regulate. The public will support the product making false claims thing but they won't support you not being able to buy 1000mg vitamin C for example [if you wish to take 10 of those a day and diarrhea yourself to oblivion go right ahead.]. Products will be able to be made and sold but they will have to be very careful with what they say and claim the product is for. If they do that then they cannot be stopped. Agreed that is a big problem, because if they cannot link their product to information about what it is supposed to prevent or fix then how will people know why they are buying it? Well that just means that people have to do their own research. It makes it a lot more difficult for businesses and consumers but not impossible to source the things that you want to eat and take.

Tony
12th December 2012, 11:17
Hello Shade
I entirely agree with you. But I also have a sneaking suspicion that their time frame is over generations...if they can take word out of circulation, maybe people won't even bother looking. That's my main concern. It's already happening with people who are already so used to texting that they use a limited, common vocabulary and if the words become extinct, people may not be able to express how they feel. There will come a time when children won't know what a pencil is.

I truly hope I am wrong - that is why we have to keep discussing this (without exaggeration of course!)

Just off to make a herbal tea...
Tony

Paul
12th December 2012, 11:32
But I also have a sneaking suspicion that their time frame is over generations...
Over generations, and over populations en masse. Sure, a few will still have a clue, and so long as you're not too affectively informing others of such clues, you will probably get by under their radar. But if they continue to succeed in such endeavors, as they have in so many ways for a long time now, the general population will continue to deteriorate mentally, physically and spiritually, and continue to know less and less of such important matters.

mosquito
12th December 2012, 11:53

If they can make it illegal to pick mushrooms which grow in your own garden then why sould the hedgerows be off-limits for them ?

DO NOT COOPERATE !!!

Tarka the Duck
12th December 2012, 12:05

If they can make it illegal to pick mushrooms which grow in your own garden then why sould the hedgerows be off-limits for them ?

DO NOT COOPERATE !!!

Wow! Is that illegal somewhere?

Shade
12th December 2012, 12:39

DO NOT COOPERATE !!!

It is if they are hallucinogenic! Most places have mushrooms under law as a totally illegal drug. Some friends and I got busted once by the ranger at a local park collecting mushrooms. We had to put them back. Luckily we didn't have to put the rest of the ones in the car back too. : D I think at that point the laws hadn't been passed yet making them as illegal as they are now, but most rangers don't particularly care about it.

conk
12th December 2012, 18:26
If they can make it illegal to collect rain water, they will be successful in any endeavor to ban a substance or the knowledge about the substance.

Says the pharma rep: This Mother Nature bitch has had her day. Now it's our turn. F the natural order.

mosquito
13th December 2012, 01:43

DO NOT COOPERATE !!!

Yes, BRITAIN !!

DeDukshyn
13th December 2012, 02:36
Keep in mind ... they have been struggling to get this implemented for over 10 years so far ... there has been resistance and there still is. One of the best arguments against is the system that Canada implemented in the face of this codex. Guess what? It has been a great success and a model for other countries to follow as a superior system to regulation compared to that codex. It is still all regulated, where each natural health product requires a certification, based mostly on safety, with some scientific evidence of efficacy. If these can be reliably demonstrated, then an NPN is granted "Natural Health Product Number". It takes away a little freedom and makes it a bit difficult to get new substances approved, but at least it gets rid of the snake oil salesmen.

Bottom line, it is working well, and is fully superior to codex alimentarius in every way, plus doesn't send us into a downward spiral where bureaucrats control everything you put into your body as either a "drug" or a "food".

We shall see how this pans out, but with many countries now going GMO free (alimentarius is also designed to give power to Monsanto specifically to implement full GMO foods), and Canada's and a few other countries superior models, signing on to Alimentarius is like sealing your own coffin for the countries that choose this.

Tarka the Duck
13th December 2012, 09:08

DO NOT COOPERATE !!!

Yes, BRITAIN !!

Hi- at the risk of going a bit off topic, can you please elaborate? I haven't heard of this before :eek:

The only instances I'm aware of in the UK is Epping Forest where mushroom picking is temporarily banned drastic over-harvesting to feed the voracious appetites of the posh London restaurants, and magic mushrooms which, under the 2005 regulations, are not illegal to harvest as long as you do so with the intention of "disposing of them" safely...;)

Is there something else I've missed?

Kathie

mosquito
13th December 2012, 09:32
Hi- at the risk of going a bit off topic, that's news to me! Can you please elaborate?

The only instances I'm aware of in the UK is Epping Forest where mushroom picking is temporarily banned drastic over-harvesting to feed the voracious appetites of the posh London restaurants, and magic mushrooms which, under the 2005 regulations, are not illegal to harvest as long as you do so with the intention of "disposing of them" safely...;)

Is there something else I've missed?

Kathie

Well, assuming David Icke's website was correct, back in 2004 or 2005, it was made illegal to posess or pick "magic" mushrooms, including those growing on your own property.
I didn't mean mushrooms in the generic sense !

My point being that a government which gives itsself the right to tell you what you can and can't ingest in the first place, and further gives itsself the right to tell you that you can't use what's in your own garden, is hardly likely to baulk at telling you what you can and can't pick from public land (if there is such a thing in Britain any more).

Eram
16th December 2012, 13:01
Thank you all for your contribution.

I found a website (http://www.anh-europe.org/campaigns/codex#Individual) with more in depth information about the codex in general and also ideas and initiatives that are taken to do something about it.

some excerpts from this website:

=================================
=================================

Single greatest threat to our access to natural health products?

The Codex Alimentarius Commission is responsible for establishing a system of guidelines, standards and recommendations that guides the direction of the global food supply. It aims to tell us what is safe, but in the process often uses criteria that are manipulated to support the interests of the world’s largest corporations.

Admirable, some might say, but of course, just how are governments in Codex protecting health, based on what criteria and — what exactly is meant by ‘fair trade practices’?

Well, it’s certainly got nothing to do with the fair trade movement that aims to support farmers and producers in developing countries while promoting sustainability. It’s much more about a system of guidelines and standards that work to the advantage of the largest global food suppliers and producers. In such company, inevitably, small producers and suppliers get left out in the cold -- as do small governments that disagree with the thrust of some of the decisions made under the Codex banner.

Codex Alimentarius, certainly in alternative circles, is often claimed to be the single greatest threat to our continued access to natural health products and wholesome foods. Robert Verkerk, of the Alliance for Natural Health, challenges some of the misconceptions and explains both what Codex is really about and what else we should be concerned about.

---------------

Important issues which Codex affects that impact our ability to manage our health naturally

Genetically modified (GM) food

Driven by GM interests which argue world food requirements cannot be met without global implementation of GM
Led by USA and Canada; EU may cave to pressure
GM food plants being given the green light on safety
Terminator’ seeds could be approved for international trade
GM food animals are on the way

Organic food

‘Dumbing-down’ of organic standards to suit interests of large food producers
Promotion of large-scale, high-input agriculture and international freight
Approval of various synthetic chemical additives and ‘processing aids’ in organic foods
No outright ban on use of irradiation post-production
Labelling allows use of hidden, non-organic ingredients

Food additives

Approval as safe around 300 different food additives (mainly synthetic) including aspartame, BHA, BHT, potassium bromate, tartrazine, etc.
No consideration given to potential risks associated with long-term exposure to mixtures of additives

Pesticide residues

Allows significant residues of over 3,275 different pesticides, including those that are suspected carcinogens or endocrine disruptors, e.g. 2,4-D, atrazine, methyl bromide
No account taken of long-term effects of exposure to mixtures of residues in food

Food/dietary supplements

Setting very low maximum daily doses for supplements using scientifically flawed risk assessment methods
Effectively establishing international borderline between foods and drugs for nutrients, forcing therapeutic nutrients into drug category
Requirement for clinical trials to substantiate health claims; too expensive for small companies. Therefore provides passport system for big corporations and acts as obstacle to freedom of speech for smaller ones
Setting of unnecessarily low Nutrient Reference Values which seriously understate requirements for long-term optimum health for given sub-populations, age groups and genders

--------------

Wider impacts

Mexico, where the laws have historically been lax enough to allow a thriving natural and integrated cancer treatment industry to flourish, is now being forced to clamp down on its own laws. The Trilateral Co-operation Charter, signed by the USA, Canada and Mexico, is increasingly becoming the mechanism to tighten the screws in all three countries.

If the North American Free Trade Agreement proceeds, this will likely ensure that policies affecting natural health (including GM, food additives, pesticide residues and all the other things that Codex deals with) will be aligned to the existing European system. It's almost certainly why we see a transition away from Europe's traditional anti-GM stance towards a pro-GM stance—massively opposed by the European public—because that's the way the US and Canada want it to be.

Once these various trading blocs are aligned, smaller nations will be forced increasingly to dance to the tune of Codex.

---------------

The Bottom Line

29th Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU), Bad Neuenahr, Germany, November 2007

Given that Codex does not create laws but merely delivers guidelines, standards and recommendations, its outputs are characterised as innocuous by many governments and corporations that benefit from them. The reality is that most countries find they have no option but to harmonise their laws to Codex as they are unable to face the sanctions imposed on them by the WTODSB, the ultimate enforcer of Codex’s rules governing the global food trade.

When it comes to us either being poisoned by pollutants or chemicals in our food, or having our fundamental rights and freedoms restricted by losing access to wholesome, natural foods and nutrients, it is of course not Codex itself that provides the legal instrument that impacts us; it is the national and regional laws of countries. This distancing of Codex from the law seems to allow Codex to escape direct culpability—but of course also makes its operation so insiduous.

As the global food trade continues to expand and regional and local food production comes under increasing pressure from the biggest agricultural and food producers in the world, Codex continues its work. In some cases, Codex guidelines and standards are built on existing legal templates, such as in the case of the Codex Guideline on Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements, which is modelled closely on the EU Food Supplements Directive. Codex then allows this model to be exported internationally. In other cases, such as with GM foods, where the US legal model — which presumes GM foods are substantially equivalent to conventional foods and therefore intrinsically safe — is increasingly acting as the international model relevant to biotechnology products.

Although we can all engage with our governments to try to show them the short-sightedness of so much that they engage with within the committee rooms of Codex, probably our most powerful weapon is our ability to choose what we eat. While many of us are still able to exercise freedom of choice, one of the most effective actions we can take is to be selective in our choice of foods.

We should, for example, support those food production systems that contribute positively to our health, while rejecting those that don’t. We also have to ensure those around us — and especially our children — understand the importance of consumer power. Combine this with targeted lobbying of governments and elected representatives and we could see fundamental change to our food supply, a change that has the ability to facilitate our return to the foods to which our genes have adapted over millennia.

---------------

What can you do to influence Codex?

The short answer is that it’s extremely difficult to influence Codex. It's even harder if you're in Europe, as European Member States don't just act individually, they are also 'spoken for' by the European Commission which acts on behalf of the EU trading bloc. So even if you get the ear of the bureaucrats within your Member State delegation, this delegation is just one of 27 in the EU that is largely represented by a single European Commission bureaucrat. This is one of the reasons that it’s so important for concerned individuals in the EU to have an aligned view on what the problems are so that maximum influence in relation to the same key issues can be applied both to Member States Governments and the European Commission.

We would go one step further and argue that the difficulty in influencing Codex is likely to be the result of deliberately engineered decision-making process that prevents or at least greatly complicates individuals’ capacity to exert their democratic right.

One of the key requisites in having influence is to ensure that complaints about Codex are both accurate, and can be substantiated. There are many examples to show that misinformation on Codex has acted as a smoke screen to conceal genuine complaints, and this enables politicians and bureaucrats to have a reason to reject people's concerns. Too often, we’ve had feedback from members of the public telling us that when they have approached their elective representative with their concerns they've been told that their facts are wrong and that they have misunderstood the problems so there is nothing that can, or need, be done.

Bearing this in mind we have the following advice:

1) Inform yourself about Codex using reliable sources such us documentation available from the official Codex website and our own site. Inaccurate information or disinformation can be more damaging to the cause than no information

2) Focus on the following issues

Codex’s support for the global trade of simplified, nutritionally-inadequate, chemically-contaminated and increasingly genetically-modified foods
Codex’s lack of support or interest in community-based farming and food supply infrastructures which are known to offer high quality foods better adapted to local environments
The increasing ‘dumbing down’ of organic agricultural principles making them less environmentally sustainable while making them more amenable to large agri-businesses
Codex's lack of interest in the agricultural self-sufficiency of poorer countries
Codex’s support for hazardous food technologies such as GMO’s, chemical additives, pesticides and irradiation
Codex’s desire to limit beneficial and therapeutic nutrients delivered as supplements
The acceptance of risk analysis principles that are fundamentally defective scientifically when it comes to the consideration of nutrients, and foods with health benefits
Codex’s attempt to harmonise health claims using excessively onerous criteria to support claims which flies in the face of approaches that support the education of consumers in the field of healthy eating and nutritional supplementation
Pressure from World Trade Organization (WTO) for countries to harmonise to Codex recommendations, guidelines or standards, or face sanctions which might be sufficient to cripple the economy of smaller countries

3) Communicate these concerns (above) to as many of your contacts as possible both within, and outside your country

4) Write to and/or meet with your elected representative and ensure s/he works on your behalf to influence your government

5) Where possible work to influence representatives from the Codex delegation, their names and addresses being publicly available in the annual reports of individual Codex Committee meetings

6) Work to influence national laws such as those on GMO’s, food additives, food safety, pesticide residues, organic farming, food supplements and health claims that are likely to influence the development of Codex guidelines and standards.

In essence, some of the most influential laws are derived form the EU, the USA and Canada. This is therefore a call to citizens and food producers and suppliers from these three countries to engage with the law making system to the maximum possible extent in the genuine interest of public health.

---------------

Key action steps

In addition to the actions of the individual (above), actions on Codex can be divided into three main groups:

Political action: make sure you make your views about national laws and Codex known to your governments and elected representatives (see above).

Consumer action: how you spend your money is one of the most powerful ways of bringing change. Do not buy or eat processed foods, GM foods, or foods containing food additives wherever possible. Try to buy or cultivate organic foods or foods to which pesticides have not been applied. Support local and community based food production systems. Minimise the purchase of imported foods.

Social action: make others aware of the risks posed to our food supply by the global food trade and its control through Codex. Stay informed and use only reliable resources providing accurate information. Help your friends, relatives and other contacts to appreciate the risks of processed, GM and unnatural foods. Stress the importance of chemical-free, locally or regionally produced, whole foods in the diet. Get them to be active both politically and as consumers.

Eram
25th December 2012, 12:09
To illustrate how severe the impact of the Codex Alimentarius is.... here is the announcement on earth-matters.nl, where they inform that they will stop the wesbite, because of the codex.
earth-matters is the number one website in the Netherlands that informs about all the same topics that we discuss about on Project Avalon.

In 2013 the codex will be implemented worldwide.

===============================

The world hasn't ended
on December 21 2012.
Earth Matters did.
For now...

On December 14th the next phase of the Codex Alimentarius came into effect in the Netherlands. Since this date, EU regulations determine that health claims for foodstuffs and food supplements are no longer allowed in most cases. You can still write about the effects of supplements, but can’t offer products or refer to products in any manner, directly or indirectly. Violations are punished severely with astronomic fines of at least €30,500. The Netherlands is the first country where this new regulation has come into effect, to prepare for the worldwide implementation in 2013. The law has been presented under the disguise of consumer safety, but is actually an attempt by the pharmaceutical industry to put natural remedies out of action. The consequences are enormous for nearly everyone, because it greatly limits the freedom of speech and of press – a civil right. Producers and distributors of foodstuffs and food supplements, publishers of health magazines, journalists and websites with independent news are among those hit. Earth Matters has also technically been muzzled. Serious internal consideration has led to only one possible conclusion: we’re going to do things differently. And for this we need your help!

In three years’ time, Earth Matters has built up an enthusiastic reader audience that now consists of over 70,000 people. With over 50 authors and editors we have placed nearly 7,000 articles online and built up a valuable library. Approximately 65% of the visitors come from the Netherlands, the rest comes from 133 other countries. In November the site was visited over 225,000 times and more than 1 million pages were viewed.

Our dilemma
A concrete example of something that’s no longer allowed: if we were to publish that a plant such as plantain can help for a runny nose due to allergies or a cold, and we included a link on our site anywhere to a site which sells (a remedy containing) plantain anywhere on the website, even if this doesn’t have any reference to the effects of plantain, we’re already liable to punishment. If you don’t believe this, which we can certainly imagine, then we direct you to the NVWA’s website (Dutch). You can find the information there, deeply hidden. Various magazines and websites around us have already received very high fines which are legally irrevocable.

The consequence for Earth Matters is that an estimated 50-80% of the articles need to be removed, and even then a mistake is easily made. Complying with the new law is basically unfeasible for us. That’s why our dilemma is: either we comply with the law and can barely write anything anymore, or we’re recalcitrant and risk very high fees. In other words: either we lay our head on the chopping-block, or we continue irresponsibly… Is there another solution?

Our conclusion
Marieke de Vrij (one of the greatest visionaries of the Netherlands and author for Earth Matters) recently told Arjan Bos (founder of Earth Matters) that “the time of the pioneers is over. Even the time of the students of the pioneers and the students of the students of the pioneers is over. They have done their job. It’s now time for society to stand up. If society, the users of complementary health care products and services, doesn’t stand up now and raise her voice, the tide won’t be turned.” That was when Arjan realised that the process has progressed too far to be carried by merely a few people.

We have studied the new law and then looked at our management seriously and meticulously. We have come to the unexpected and unhoped-for, but unavoidable conclusion that Earth Matters can’t come online anymore in its familiar form under the new regulation.
(Of course we greatly regret that our extensive database is no longer accessible. We’re still researching whether we can offer the database through a different construction, for example through founding an association, but we don’t know yet if this will be allowed).

We can’t and won’t disguise or ignore the facts. One of the ten famous steps from Naomi Wolf’s work, who makes clear how a democracy turns into a dictatorship, has been put into effect for Earth Matters. Shocking! Don’t we live in a free country?