PDA

View Full Version : The man who drank the universe - 30 min half hour Ayahuasca Documentry.

EYES WIDE OPEN
12th December 2012, 13:58
http://vimeo.com/32460413

Paul
12th December 2012, 14:05
http://vimeo.com/32460413

Useful text from the link:

This is a 30-minute documentary following TV presenter and meditator, Alistair Appleton as he drinks the shamanic tea, Ayahuasca, for the first time.
Made with Brown Eyed Boy in 2004, the film documents the varied experiences of Appleton and several other individuals as they journey with this amazing Amazonian practice.
There's a bit of swearing, some talk of vomiting, but quite a lot of humour, insight and wit.

Hawkwind
12th December 2012, 18:36
I've had a couple hundred psychedelic sessions, about half a dozen of which involved taking ayahuasca. This is the most accurate documentary on the subject I've seen. As in, psychedelic experiences can range from horrific to ecstatic. Being in a safe quiet environment among people whom you trust (as depicted here) is a big factor in determining the quality of the experience and whether or not it will be of any lasting benefit.

conk
12th December 2012, 19:39
I've read that true shaman keep the real drug a secret among themselves. That they use ayahuasca for the 'tourists'. Anyone else read or know of this?

Maunagarjana
12th December 2012, 20:40
I've read that true shaman keep the real drug a secret among themselves. That they use ayahuasca for the 'tourists'. Anyone else read or know of this?

Some unscrupulous ones might pawn off some weaker brew, I suppose. Just because someone is a shaman doesn't mean they are ethical any more than just because someone is a psychic or a preacher means they are ethical. I've heard stories of people getting tricked this way, but then they usually seek elsewhere and find the real deal brew. But real ayahuasca is unmistakable. You'll know if you had it because it will be an ordeal of some kind and very visual. And you can even make it yourself because you can order the plants online (banisteriopsis caapi (yage) and psychotria viridis (chacruna) is the basic standard ingredients), though the guidance of an ayahuasquero would be advised. The ingredients of ayahuasca are not a mystery. There are different admixtures that different ayahuasqueros use depending on their own personal tastes and traditions. There is a pretty good list on this wikipedia page of possible plants that might end up in a brew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca#Traditional_brew

EYES WIDE OPEN
13th December 2012, 15:06
http://www.realitysandwich.com/video/substance_interview_johns_hopkins_psilocybin_cance r_project_participant

In this clip from the documentary The Substance, a John Hopkins Psilocybin Cancer Project participant discusses his therapeutic experience with psilocybin. Following a cancer diagnosis and successful chemotherapy treatment, he became preoccupied with his cancer, to the point of concern for his family and friends. After trying antidepressants and counseling, which had no lasting effects, he tried psilocybin under the supervision of doctors. The experience, which ranged from fear to ego-less tranquility, lifted him from his depression after a single day of usage. As a psychologist, he finds this to be "almost unbelievable."

conk
13th December 2012, 18:10

Some unscrupulous ones might pawn off some weaker brew, I suppose. Just because someone is a shaman doesn't mean they are ethical any more than just because someone is a psychic or a preacher means they are ethical. I've heard stories of people getting tricked this way, but then they usually seek elsewhere and find the real deal brew. But real ayahuasca is unmistakable. You'll know if you had it because it will be an ordeal of some kind and very visual. And you can even make it yourself because you can order the plants online (banisteriopsis caapi (yage) and psychotria viridis (chacruna) is the basic standard ingredients), though the guidance of an ayahuasquero would be advised. The ingredients of ayahuasca are not a mystery. There are different admixtures that different ayahuasqueros use depending on their own personal tastes and traditions. There is a pretty good list on this wikipedia page of possible plants that might end up in a brew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca#Traditional_brew
Thanks. I have a good reciepe and the ingredients. Seems a simple process, but I'm reluctant to experiment until I learn more. Not interested in a simple high (been there, done that), but looking for a more "mystical" experience. I don't think it's something to be done without the right frame of mind.

leavesoftrees
13th December 2012, 20:34

Blufire talked about this , but I cant find the thread. IIRC, when she was in the Amazon, she learnt that the shamans dont give their brew to Westerners

Paul
13th December 2012, 21:55
Blufire talked about this , but I cant find the thread. IIRC, when she was in the Amazon, she learnt that the shamans dont give their brew to Westerners
I suspect you mean this post: Shamanism – Getting to Know the Unknown (Post #70) (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?36550-Shamanism----Getting-to-Know-the-Unknown&p=382637&viewfull=1#post382637).

TargeT
13th December 2012, 23:14
Thanks. I have a good reciepe and the ingredients. Seems a simple process, but I'm reluctant to experiment until I learn more. Not interested in a simple high (been there, done that), but looking for a more "mystical" experience. I don't think it's something to be done without the right frame of mind.

I've had many brushes with psilocybin as a younger man, what I considered to be "recreational" at the time I now see as anything but; these experiences changed my perception of reality so heavily I often refer back to them when certain situations arrive.

I think I am growing to dislike the term "high"; perhaps that is applicable to barbiturates (which I have never tried so, this may be an unfounded prejudgment) but every other (natural, plant based) substance I have experienced was just a different way to filter reality, none seemed to impair cognitive functions, just change them (sometimes drastically).

I have found that a solid personality is key with psilocybin as I am sure it is necessary with DMT; if you are prone to fear or doubts a lot of preparation should be taken before the venture & a babysitter (err, guide... ;) ) would be highly recommended.

RMorgan
13th December 2012, 23:22

I've had many brushes with psilocybin as a younger man, what I considered to be "recreational" at the time I now see as anything but; these experiences changed my perception of reality so heavily I often refer back to them when certain situations arrive.

I think I am growing to dislike the term "high"; perhaps that is applicable to barbiturates (which I have never tried so, this may be an unfounded prejudgment) but every other (natural, plant based) substance I have experienced was just a different way to filter reality, none seemed to impair cognitive functions, just change them (sometimes drastically).

I have found that a solid personality is key with psilocybin as I am sure it is necessary with DMT; if you are prone to fear or doubts a lot of preparation should be taken before the venture & a babysitter (err, guide... ;) ) would be highly recommended.

Youīre right. Having a strong character and personality is the key.

Iīve seen so many people freak out while experiencing with Santo Daime (a christian/spiritualist/indigenous religion based on Ayahuasca), here in Brazil.

The thing is strong...much stronger than mushrooms.

Anyway, Ayahuasca isnīt harmless. People who adhere to Santo Daime and make it a weekly habit become really weird after a while. They become slow like a turtle, if you know what I mean.

I donīt recommend anyone to try it without a friend nearby to babysit you, just in case.

This stuff is potent!

Raf.

UDPATE:

This is how all ceremonies Iīve ever witnessed really are; Not like that five star beach hotel showed in the first video; I suspect thatīs Ayahuasca for gringos.

YLWEnZixwbU

People drink and keep dancing and singing these hymns all night long, as you can see it at the 09:00 mark.

Flash
13th December 2012, 23:31
Ok guys, no spirituality for me today, no development thinking, no nothing, except this:

I am so sad that Allister in the video is gay, I am soooo sad that I am too old, because gosh I found him handsome and sexy.....:confused: I would just LOOK at other of his videos lol

OK, now you can all pursue the spiritual development conversation.
This was just a sideline, could not not tell it ;)