PDA

View Full Version : Helium 3 and the colonization of the Moon

frank samuel
7th September 2010, 09:57
I have always been fascinated with the moon. For the last five years on and off I have research a little bit on the subject of investments of mining projects on the moon in search of Helium 3.

Researchers and space enthusiasts see helium 3 as the perfect fuel source: extremely potent, nonpolluting, with virtually no radioactive by-product. Proponents claim its the fuel of the 21st century. The trouble is, hardly any of it is found on Earth.But there is plenty of it on the moon.

My theory and speculative thoughts on the Moon is that there's major investors from many countries who are mining in the moon for many years now. This has been a top secret project in which many countries have jump in the band wagon.

http://peakenergy.blogspot.com/2007/08/mining-moon.html

There's several propositions for long term investment this is just one of the articles found on the internet which caught my attention:

http://opiniojuris.org/2009/10/23/bilder-on-the-legal-regime-for-mining-the-moon/

http://luna-ci.com/category/helium-3/

The biggest problem with mining on the Moon perhaps, and this is pure speculation on my part, is alien interference, meaning , that you cannot conduct mining activities on the Moon without the watchful eye and approval of aliens who reside or use the Moon as a interplanetary base.

Some people would say that the reason humans have not travel to the Moon since the 70's is because of the extreme radiation due to the Van Allen radiations belts .
Although I am not a scientist I would disagree with that statement as there's areas in which ships can easily maneuver around the Van Allen belt.

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Dictionary/RADIATION_BELTS/DI160.htm

In conclusion in my opinion there's more at stake here than just the disclosure of aliens , it is the race to control and manage the production of Helium 3 on the Moon and beyond.

Many many blessings to all.:thumb:

frank samuel
7th September 2010, 13:00
Society is straining to keep pace with energy demands, expected to increase eightfold by 2050 as the world populations wells toward 12 billion. The moon just may be the answer.

"Helium 3 fusion energy may be the key to future space exploration and settlement," said Gerald Kulcinski,Director of the Fusion Technology Institute (FTI) at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Scientists estimate there are about 1 million tons of helium 3 on the moon, enough to power the world for thousands of years. The equivalent of a single space shuttle load or roughly 25 tons could supply the entire United States' energy needs for a year, according to Apollo17 astronaut and FTI researcher Harrison Schmitt.

When the solar wind, the rapid stream of charged particles emitted by the sun, strikes the moon, helium 3 is deposited in the powdery soil. Over billions of years that adds up. Meteorite bombardment disperses the particles throughout the top several meters of the lunar surface.

"Helium 3 could be the cash crop for the moon," said Kulcinski, a longtime advocate and leading pioneer in the field, who envisions the moon becoming "the Hudson Bay Store of Earth."Today helium 3 would have a cash value of $4 billion a ton in terms of its energy equivalent in oil, he estimates. "When the moon becomes an independent country, it will have something to trade."

Fusion research began in 1951 in the United States under military auspices. After its declassification in 1957 scientists began looking for a candidate fuel source that wouldn't produce neutrons. Although Louie Alvarez and Robert Cornog discovered helium 3 in 1939, only a few hundred pounds (kilograms) were known to exist on Earth,most the by-product of nuclear-weapon production.

Apollo astronauts found helium 3 on the moon in 1969, but the link between the isotope and lunar resources was not made until 1986. "It took 15 years for us [lunar geologists and fusion pioneers] to stumble across each other," said Schmitt, the last astronaut to leave footprints on the moon.

Helium 3 fusion is also ideal for powering spacecraft and interstellar travel. While offering the high performance power of fusion -- "a classic Buck Rogers propulsion system" -- helium3 rockets would require less radioactive shielding, lightening the load,said Robert Frisbee, an advanced propulsion engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena California.

"Although helium 3 would be very exciting,"says Bryan Palaszewski, leader of advanced fuels at NASA Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field, "first we have to go back to the moon and be capable of doing significant operations there."

frank samuel
7th September 2010, 15:56
Those people who know how the covert operations work will tell you if you follow the money trail you could easily find the truth. The reason why I have posted this information is that Helium 3 signifies an incredible amount of power for anyone who controls the production flow of this fuel source. A few years ago a few friends of mine in the Engineering field wanted to invest on some future energy resources, what we found was that the starting investment deposit was 10 million US dollars. I imagine that now is much higher.

The following is an article from an investment firm in Iraq.

http://www.investorsiraq.com/showthread.php?133051-Lunar-Mineral-Resources

Lunar Mineral Resources

http://www.geocities.com/moonsayles/resources.htm

The report we had discussed was from the American Geophysical Union. If you want to purchase lunar land, there are several agencies out there, but the only internationally recognized organization is the International Lunar Lands Registry. All of the others, from my experience and from the discussions I have had with others in the industry, are basically novelties and should be regarded as such, most specifically the "Lunar Embassy."

The next great "land rush" ?if not gold rush ? will be to the moon. The reasons are many, but it all boils down to one thing:

Figure that the cargo bay on the Space Shuttle can carry about 25 tons of materials returned from the moon (titanium or helium-3, for instance). Figure also that the current estimated value on a single ton of helium-3 is about $15,000,000. A single ton of helium-3 can essentially supply the entire U.S. with clean, safe energy for a full year. Finally, figure that the current price of a single acre of property on the moon (preferably on the far side, where concentrations of these minerals are highest) is around $20. Do you need me to do the math for you?

Prospecting For Helium-3 On The Moon
WASHINGTON, D.C. (American Geophysical Union)-- Future prospectors on the Moon may be assisted by resource maps developed from research by scientists in Arizona and Hawaii. The resources they will be seeking are not gold or diamonds, but helium-3 [3He], an isotope that is rare on Earth, but more common on the Moon. Helium-3 is expected to be the cleanest fuel of choice for potential 21st century fusion reactors, because its reaction is efficient and produces low residual radioactivity.

Fredkc
7th September 2010, 17:23
There is a global corp. by the name of SAIC. "Science Applications Int'l Corp"

I did some work for them, back in the mid-90's as a mechanical designer for a proton accelerator project. Not what I'd call the best of citizens, really. In fact I have since come to the conclusion that they are to 'things nuclear' what Halliburton is to oil. Hey, live and learn, right?

But I recall that even back then, several of the movers of the company left because they were going to work on the next 'hot thing' - mining the moon for H3.

There is a concern; or perhaps an added cost which should be factored in, here.

In order for life to exist on earth, our oceans need to be constantly re-oxygenated. Currently this is done by two means:
1. The currents caused by the earth's rotation.
2. The cyclical pull of the moons gravity (tides).

Item 2 is a function of the moon's mass.

So... if we mine the moon for anything, and bring it here... well, you see what you wind up with, over time. Call me old fashioned but, I can just hear what Corp. XYZ is going to say, "But the earth needs energy now! And besides, we're only going to do it 'till we 'just need glasses'." ;)

Is this a "deal breaker"? No, it isn't. But here, now, before the "gold rush mentality" sets in, is precisely the time to inject a bit of sense.

The cost of production, for H3 must include, from gitgo the additional cost of a 1:1 exchange of mass, between earth and the moon.
For every kilo we bring down, we must send one back. No exceptions.
Now, if the project still looks attractive to us, without the usual process whereby some corporation gets the gravy, and people are the sole bearers of the expense, then I'm all for it!:biggrin:
Fred

Luke
7th September 2010, 17:47
Hmm. first- there is no way you can make any Intl Corp do such deal. They would just buy scientist proving law of gravity is fake :P

Plus, I believe any hot fusion scheme is no progress at all. Costly, giant infrastructure needed, not something to fit in yer backyard. Or backpack. But fits the system all right.
But I'm generally skeptical towards any government or government-like entity. Free space should be for free humans, and that needs technology suitable for that. But do not expect something like this coming from govt of corporate labs. They want us, morons, do their pillaging for them, not flying around having phunn :p

BTW, mining on the moon ... "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_is_a_Harsh_Mistress)anybody?

Fredkc
7th September 2010, 18:19
first- there is no way you can make any Intl Corp do such deal. They would just buy scientist proving law of gravity is fake

We all know there is no gravity... the earth sucks!
http://fredsitelive.com/fun/rofl.gif

(sorry, cheap joke, had to be done)
Fred

frank samuel
7th September 2010, 21:07
Fred here's a thought based on the report that a space shuttle can carry 25 tons which equals 1 entire year of powering the US. How many flights can we make in a year? I'm not a mathematician but if I was an investor I would already started a long time ago.

There's other obvious factors to the mystery of why we have not officially travel back ,about a year ago you could access photo images of the moon exploring grid coordinates through the Clementine satellite, there's sure is a lot of areas that are completely block out, I wonder why ? The link is no longer available at the Naval web site.

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/research/

Who's in charge ? Often wonder about that . I think us humans got a lot more than we bargain for when we went to the moon.
Realistically speaking in about 40 years by the year 2050 in which most of us will no longer be here at least not on this body, the coming generations will live what we now see mostly in science fictions films, turning it into science fact.

Fred too bad us old foggies will be just part of a dusty broom by then.:haha::crazy_pilot::dance3:

neptuneforce
1st December 2010, 05:10
Middle Earth & the Hollow Moon

So I had this mushroom experience where I left my body for space and while looking back I saw the Earth & the Moon as these two dancing ovaries spinning in this galactic girl-power. When I came back home I had this realization about form..... things are either a VORTEX (Feminine/absence of a solid core) or a CORTEX (Masculine/presence of a solid core) just like the I-Ching lines

truthseekerdan
1st December 2010, 05:16
All I can say is that the Moon is not under earthlings' control.

Carmody
1st December 2010, 05:19
Hmm. first- there is no way you can make any Intl Corp do such deal. They would just buy scientist proving law of gravity is fake :P

Plus, I believe any hot fusion scheme is no progress at all. Costly, giant infrastructure needed, not something to fit in yer backyard. Or backpack. But fits the system all right.
But I'm generally skeptical towards any government or government-like entity. Free space should be for free humans, and that needs technology suitable for that. But do not expect something like this coming from govt of corporate labs. They want us, morons, do their pillaging for them, not flying around having phunn :p

BTW, mining on the moon ... "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_is_a_Harsh_Mistress)anybody?

My two favorites of his are 'Glory Road (I have a first edition) and 'Number of the Beast' (I have three of the first pressing)