PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate to charity?

Strat
23rd December 2012, 00:16
Do you donate to charity? Which one(s) and why? If you don't, why not?

sandy
23rd December 2012, 00:26
Yes, I donate to families I know who are in need>>>why because I can and it is the right thing to do :)

GCS1103
23rd December 2012, 00:36
Most of my donations are to animal charities. I do that because I love animals and they need us to protect and care for them. I do make donations to a few "human" charities too.

D-Day
23rd December 2012, 01:02
No, not anymore.

Because what I have found is that a significant proportion of the money that gets donated to large charitable organisatiions never ends up reaching the intended recipients.

A good % of it goes to paying the salaries of (quite highly paid) CEO's, other execs, managers, and (of course) cutting through ridiculous beurocratic red tape obstructions.

I know this because I worked for a few of them when I was younger snd more naive.

The degree of inefficiency and wastefulness that is inherent in some of those organisations (when witnessed first hand) is almost unbelievable... if only you knew.

Nowadays, I prefer to help out in other (more direct) ways.... by volunteering my time and labour to help local community projects instead.

At least that way I know exactly how my "donation" is being utilised.

... and I also get the added benefit of seeing the fruits of my labour/donatiion and the effect it hss on individuals/communities first hand.

Grumpy Cat
23rd December 2012, 01:10
I'm currently donating monthly to Make-a-Wish, but I question where my money goes...

They pay fundraisers a not-inconsiderable amount (around £1.50+ minimum wage and bonuses) to "recruit" people on the street- to the tune of £8 a month, which is what I'm paying.

Their target, I learnt, is to sign up only two people a day = £16 a month in return for hiring someone, and paying them around £7.50 an *hour* to stand around in the streets doing this. How the hell does that make sense? Even me, with my god-awful mathematics skills can see that this doesn't add up.

SKAWF
23rd December 2012, 01:10
i stopped donating to the big charities, when i found out that they keep the money, bank it, and use only the interest for charitable purposes.
also i dont like multi million dollar/pound advertising campaigns..

also i dont like the fact that these days, they dont want you to give them £10 or something...
they want you to set up a direct debit so you can pay them every month.

what about cancer research?

THEY ALREADY KNOW HOW TO CURE IT!!!!!!!!!,

or the NSPCC (national society for the prevention of cruelty to children)

would that be the kids abused by the elites or the RC church?

or how about famine relief in africa?

a place where population control is rife!

so erm.....

no i dont.

i would happily donate to animal rescues though.!

Heartsong
23rd December 2012, 01:21
Yes, I do give to charities. Every January my husband and I determine how much and to whom we will give during the following 12 months. We live by the 3 S's: Save some, Spend some and Share some.
All of our charities are local and known to us. We give about 4% of our income.

modwiz
23rd December 2012, 01:31
Like many of the above, knowing about charities and their administration is like watching sausage or laws being made. :bad: When I used to walk the streets of NYC I would make sure I had a lot of singles (dollars) on me so I could give one to the many homeless who would ask for spare change. With rare exception, all would bless me. I do not walk past a Salvation Army pot without putting something in it. Again, more good wishes and blessings. I see someone standing in the cold, not wearing designer clothes. It is unfortunate that the sweet spot of heading a charity attracts the types that it does.

We need manageable communities again where we can take care of our own and not have to count on others to do what we no longer have the time for. Our kindness is admirable. Those who exploit it are not. It's all part of the plan until we wake up.

skippy
23rd December 2012, 01:31
Good idea Strat, let's create the Avalon Charity Fund and donate to charities of our choice. Can you set up the project and communicate the wire account to transfer the money?

Skip

astrid
23rd December 2012, 01:32
Mostly to friends whenever they need, and in all different ways.
Charity begins at home, etc.

At least i know where the resources are going, with big name charities,
who knows..

DoubleHelix
23rd December 2012, 01:33
Bravo guys.. some great reasons as to why I believe people shouldn't donate to charities.

I was once apart of a non-profit organisation where I saw some great things being done for the community. However, I also witnessed one of the bosses stealing money on a regular basis; later down the track she got canned and the police laid charges.

My personal opinion is that it's a little slack to donate money. You have no idea, nor guarantee, that your money will make it to the intended recipient. If you would like to help, then the best way to do it is in person. Everyone wins that way.

I give money to the homeless when ever I get a chance, I know it aint much, and it won't solve their situation, but it may put some food in their stomach.

Lancelot
23rd December 2012, 01:38
Cancer Research has to be the biggest fraudulent charity on earth. They take billions of peoples hard earned cash and do nothing to help the cause only line the pockets of their own employees and the pharmaceutical companies.

astrid
23rd December 2012, 01:48
These days it's also coming back the other way, as I'm slipping more into a
practitioner type role, and It's taking a bit of getting used too.
But giving is one thing, its a two way flow, and you have to
allow people to give back, if they so choose so that the cycle of transformation is a complete one.

Just my 20 cents anyways..

Kimberley
23rd December 2012, 02:25
Interesting question... I have given a lot in various ways over my life time. Currently I support those in need that I know personally and do not give to tax deductible organizations any longer because I know so many others that are in need that I know personally.

And when I give I do not expect anything in return, however the universe always returns through other various ways!!! And I am so very grateful to be able to give and to receive abundantly!

And I also give often to street people...and they most always say god bless you to me also!

Much love to us all!! :grouphug:

DeDukshyn
23rd December 2012, 02:35
I put in a couple hours of volunteer work down at the local Mustard Seed this last Thursday .. real help for real people ;) I don't have to worry whether my "time" was being used appropriately or not! ;) ;)

WhiteFeather
23rd December 2012, 02:43
I give to the street walkers and I also Donate my Human/E.T. Blood. Its very affordable and It has 12 to 22 different types of ET Signature Species Imprint Mixtures In It. Its nice to help out our Star friends here on Planet Earth. And its nice to share. Remember this TV Commercial, God Im getting Old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HeyqXESOg

An Added Bonus Video, LMFAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYzt1rEBx5Y&feature=player_embedded

Tesseract
23rd December 2012, 03:03
I donate to World Vision (WV) [actually this thread reminded me to do so - thanks], one option is that you can donate to pay for a specific critical asset (like a goat or share in a clean water scheme) so you can know what the money is being used for. They also have a fairly low percentage of money that goes into administration costs. Technically they are a Christian charity, I did look around for a non-religious charity at one point, but the ones I found were not using the money where I wanted it to go. So I put my (non)religious views aside and stuck with WV.

I also support Wikileaks and Wikipedia, the value of both can not be overstated IMO. The Wikileaks banking blockade can be bypassed by donating here https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/ This was recently set up by Daniel Ellsberg, John Cusack and others. The banks and governments conspired to shut down WL financially - glad to see the people are fighting back.

Nenuphar
23rd December 2012, 03:20
I donate to small organizations, mostly related to animal welfare and nature conservation. These two causes are near to my heart. I particularly adore animals, and have always had companion animals in my life. I also like to donate things like food, toiletries, and clothing to the local food bank, transition house, and Salvation Army. I know people who use the services of all these organizations, and I know people who work/volunteer at two of them. I am confident that my donations are being put to good use there.

I very rarely donate to big charities related to illness or medical research, despite my family being effected by M.S. and heart & stroke problems. I am not interested in funding administrators and huge advertising campaigns. The business of cancer, in particular, drives me nuts. Certain forms of cancer have practically been branded by immediately identifiable combinations of colour/flower/slogan....it almost seems like one will belong to a special, exclusive club if one develops specific forms of cancer. It is also too profitable for many of these organizations *not* to find a cure for the diseases they claim to want to fund research for.

:canada: For me, this 2012 review/analysis of 100 Canadian charities in MoneySense magazine was enlightening and helpful. It rather confirmed what I already felt at a gut level.

http://www.moneysense.ca/the-2012-charity-100/

Vitalux
23rd December 2012, 04:58
It tends to be more sporadic and impulsive with me.

On Thursday I gave a $100 bill to a homeless man that was begging for money by the side of the road.

http://michellejohnson35.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/homeless-man.jpg

He thanked me and then ran away with a huge smile.

That $100 bill I was going to use to pay for my membership at the YMCA, but I figured I would skip a month to make someone else feel good.:cheers:

sigma6
23rd December 2012, 05:35
charity begins at home

Ilie Pandia
23rd December 2012, 06:49
Hello Strat,

I have an indirect answer to your question. I recommend you get and read Richard Bach - Illusions. It's free on the web, well written, easy and very fun to go through.

Keep you question in mind while you read it and you will stumble on some stories that I believe will give you an answer. :)

Daughter of Time
23rd December 2012, 07:16
I've always helped out family members and friends in need.

I've given food to the local food bank.

I've given clothes and accessories to missions and shelters.

I've given to animal welfare like the humane society.

I've given money to plant trees in ravaged forests.

I do not give to large charity organizations. Once upon a time, when i had more money and less awareness, I did give money to larger organizations, but even if I should come into a lot of money some day, I think I'd drive around town and give it directly to the homeless and to some shelters that I know to be honest. Large organizations misuse and abuse donations. They will never get another cent from me even if some day I should be rich.

In other words, I will always give what I can, when i can, to the people and causes that really need it.

Mulder
23rd December 2012, 09:06
Yes, I donate to Child Fund as 80% of donations has to go to the children. Also, it's only $1/day and you get to write to the child.

Fred Steeves
23rd December 2012, 11:14
I kind of assume that I will cross paths with anyone who needs my help. Like the cold winter's day I was walking into a store, and there was a homeless couple hanging out beside it in the grassy area. It just looked like something was really wrong so I went over to say hi. They were already stumbling drunk at noon, starving, and the woman had been so drunk the night before she had actually lost her pants, even the underwear. So I told them to stay put, and bought some food from the deli, and a couple pairs of jeans from the Dollar Store at the end.

Sometimes we know families that are going through a rough patch, like the one we're going to see today, and we'll stop by unannounced with some groceries. It's too late to say no at that point.(LOL)

So yeah, we donate to those in our own little sphere of influence, in our own way. A way that we can see the help is going directly to where it is needed. How about you Strat?

Wind
23rd December 2012, 11:26
Sometimes I donate small amounts to different causes. If someone needs my help then I try to help them, I believe that by doing small things this world will eventually change into a better place to live in. Share the love.

Sometimes I wonder that am I doing enough because it kills me to see the world as it is. There shouldn't be people on the streets begging for money on cold winter nights. What has mankind come to?

Ki's
23rd December 2012, 14:55
The only regular type of donation I make is to free speech tv. Otherwise, we have a local church group in my town that collects food. They rent a small store in town and anyone who is in need can go in and get a bag of groceries. I donate food to them, take bags of animal food to the animal shelters and frequently hand out cash or sandwiches to a local homeless guy who is usually standing at an intersection with a sign that reads: "Will work for food".

Pam
23rd December 2012, 15:41
After giving to various charities and sometimes finding out that the money was used for things other than what was stated it would be used for I adopted the simple wisdom of the Wonderful Buckminster Fuller, " Find something that needs to be done and do it"..Seems pathetically simplistic but when you look at the world through this filter things adjust accordingly...I am now cleaning up garbage on a beautiful stretch of otherwise pristine beach. I had previously walked this beach silently cursing those that would destroy its pristine beauty by dropping their trash....now I leave there in a uplifted state of mind..

OOO
23rd December 2012, 15:42
I often ask myself the following questions:
Am I giving money to this person on the street because I need to make myself feel better?
Is it a selfish kind of giving? Oh look here is some money that I have and you don't?
What am I accomplishing by giving them money?

Sometimes it feels like its taking the path of less resistance. Kind of like giving the answer away without giving someone a chance to find out for themselves.

I always ask the question, why am I giving? Who gains in that situation?

Strat
23rd December 2012, 15:48
Thanks for the input everybody. You guys read me well, here is my issue with charity:

I have found is that a significant proportion of the money that gets donated to large charitable organisatiions never ends up reaching the intended recipients.

A good % of it goes to paying the salaries of (quite highly paid) CEO's, other execs, managers, and (of course) cutting through ridiculous beurocratic red tape obstructions.

I know this because I worked for a few of them when I was younger snd more naive.

The degree of inefficiency and wastefulness that is inherent in some of those organisations (when witnessed first hand) is almost unbelievable... if only you knew.

It was my grandparents of all people who first informed me of charity corruption (specifically Red Cross). I don't know the extent of these things, but as a web marketer I know how easy it would be to scam people.

I have been thinking about volunteering but I have medical issues which manifest sporadically and often screw up plans. On top of that, I really really want to help out those who live in countries which have no say in geo politics.

-------

I have decided to start sacrificing little pleasures in life in order to donate to charities. I haven't planned this out thoroughly but oddly enough that's how I pull off my greatest successes (guitar, web marketing, exercising, martial arts, etc); one step at a time, learn as I go and worry about all the issues 'later' (meaning never). I don't know why, I don't look too far into it, but life's issues always work themselves out. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe God's looking out for me, who knows.

The first 'pleasure' I will be sacrificing is the bar money I've saved up for celebrating christmas. I'm a broke bastard (especially after buying gifts) so it's not much, but I'm going to donate to this charity: Send a girl in Afghanistan to school for a year, for $52. (http://gifts.rescue.org/product/education/year-school?webSyncID=21044d7e-1b30-88dd-48c7-734e8c4d15a3&sessionGUID=45411e47-7536-4ab9-abed-7a83bba4e3da)

Let's say hypothetically speaking that site is a big scam and 100% of that money is going straight into somebodies bank account. You know what? That money was going to gluttony anyway. I tried and goddamnit I'm not going to quit just because I get screwed over along the way.

I figure every time I donate - no matter the denomination - I will read something/anything about charities (special thanks to Ilie Panda for the link). Knowledge is power, and I'm sure if I absorb enough of it I can find a charity which is not corrupt. I do not believe 100% of all charities are corrupt. It's just a matter of finding them.

This may be a lot of work but for Christ's sake when I think of how hard some people have it the least I can do is try.

Don't mistake me for being pious. I read a lot. The more I read the more I think I'm a ****ty person. I don't think there are any moral reasons to contribute to anything unless you feel you should. I do feel I should.

Good idea Strat, let's create the Avalon Charity Fund and donate to charities of our choice. Can you set up the project and communicate the wire account to transfer the money?

Funny you say this because this is my biggest goal in life (though it wont be associated with Avalon). I have a lot of know-how when it comes to the little details of these things (building a site, promoting it, etc). I don't have the time or frankly the money at the moment. I'm going to set up a charity when I have enough money from my business to fund it myself. 100% money will go to where it needs.

If people want to contribute, cool, if not, that's cool too.

Snoweagle
23rd December 2012, 15:56
These days I only give charitably when face to face with those that are needy.

Furthermore, I adopt the adage "to not supply continuous supply of water but rather provide a means of pumping".

(millions of dollars were promised to Aceh in the Phillipines after the Boxing Day tsunami; you might take a look and see if Aceh is any better off today)

gaiagirl
23rd December 2012, 16:20
I donate my time and am on the board of a local soup kitchen (6 years now). I also give money to folks when they ask me for it on the street. back when I had more of an income, I gave to many organizations, mostly animal and human rights folks. When I have more money someday, I don't think I will go back to that as I now understand that most of the funds donated are mismanaged or go to lining the pockets of the higher ups.

ghostrider
23rd December 2012, 16:29
I used to have money taken from my paycheck and sent to the United way foundation... It went to shelters for abused women and children giving them somewhere to go... I moved from that area, to another city ...and If I dont see firsthand where the money goes to help , I'm out. I take that stuff serious... where does an abused child go ? to the street or the government. Abused kids need somewhere to feel safe, and have a chance at a normal life. One day they will be adults , and in a myriad of positions, with the fear, or anxiety of the past in their minds, it will hinder their step up the ladder. they need all the help they can get... My step father was less than civil, I tried to stay with relatives, my grandmother, anyone , no one would take me in, I ran away and lived in abadoned houses till my mother seen the light... I thought every night about , man I wish there was somewhere to go, but no one would take me in. I stayed in school and hid it from my teachers...passing off bruises and cuts as me just fighting with other boys...My stepfather broke my nose and I never had it fixed , so now to this day I breathe on only one side , I'm always out of breath and dehydrated ...I have trouble sleeping , lack of air, it makes me snore like a grizzly ... I used to take my anger out on bigger kids picking on small kids, I was a small kid , now my anger is turned to love, see the importance of having somewhere to go, some hope ??

Earth Angel
23rd December 2012, 16:48
I agree totally.......when I moved from Ireland to my present home I was approached the first year by a sweet little old woman who asked would I like to canvas my neighbourhood each spring for Canadian Cancer Society donations.......I said sure and did it for 14 years.......then I became aware of how many people are still dying and what an industry it has become and I not only stopped donating to that cause but I stopped canvasing for it as well..... I couldn't bring myself to knock on the old woman next doors house who had lost her husband to cancer, and the man next to her who just lost his wife, and the woman next to her who also lost her husband and the man across the street from them who lost the mother of his three small children, and ask for more than they already given.....the lives of their spouses and here I am years and years later still collecting because we are SO CLOSE to a cure.......no way......we are not close, its there , its available, its just not big pharma......

Cancer Research has to be the biggest fraudulent charity on earth. They take billions of peoples hard earned cash and do nothing to help the cause only line the pockets of their own employees and the pharmaceutical companies.

but to answer the question, I give when I see someone in need, or walking past a salvation army box, but I resent big box stores asking me if I want to donate each time I purchase something because THEY get a big tax write off for my donation. They guilt you out too, always outside the beer store ....now I just smile and say no thanks because I know I will contribute in my own way and I don't have to explain it to them....but there is always that kind of shocked "OH, okay " response that the cashier gives you because most sheeple just say sure!

Ki's
23rd December 2012, 16:50
Am I giving money to this person on the street because I need to make myself feel better?
Is it a selfish kind of giving? Oh look here is some money that I have and you don't?

Sometimes it feels like its taking the path of less resistance. Kind of like giving the answer away without giving someone a chance to find out for themselves.

Don't view it as 'giving'...view it as 'sharing'. With the right set of circumstances any one of us could end up on the streets. The answer is compassion and I think we we all gain by that.

OOO
23rd December 2012, 17:07

Don't view it as 'giving'...view it as 'sharing'. With the right set of circumstances any one of us could end up on the streets. The answer is compassion and I think we we all gain by that.

Are you suggesting that one cannot feel compassion without physically sharing?
My belief is that everyone has their burden to carry, free will to experience the duality of life.
Who am I to meddle? I have yet to see how donating money has solved anyones burden.

It sounds selfish, but I am trying to understand this from a deeper level.

Thanks for the feedback.

greybeard
23rd December 2012, 17:10
Yes time and effort to the one below.

Chris

modwiz
23rd December 2012, 17:28

Haven't seen sophistry like this since I last read a NT Times editorial. Very long time.

OOO
23rd December 2012, 18:10

Haven't seen sophistry like this since I last read a NT Times editorial. Very long time.

Hey...like your quote says..."the unexamined life is not worth living"...

My mind pukes out a lot of crappy crap.

Hey...but hey look at the service I provide with my questioning...I am donating!

Ok...carry on....

DeDukshyn
23rd December 2012, 18:21
The last big charity run by the elite that got called out on only actually using 10% or so for charity, claimed that it is ok to do this because this is about the rate that all "great" (meaning elite run) fundraisers and charities of this type give.

Really, that is what the organizers said, basically: "We can steal your money you think is going to a good cause because everyone does." -- wish I had the link off hand.

When someone asks me for something like money for their sick kid to buy them shoes before Christmas, I often say "piss off!" because I know he is lying and can see his crack dealer on the end of the block. sheesh!

When someone down-trodden asks for a buck so he can get enough to buy beer, I may give him the buck, and tell him to never stop being honest.

The way I like to do most of my giving is very spontaneously. If someone in the line ahead is short cash for his / her purchase, I may make the entire purchase for them, or at least fill them in to what they need.

Sometimes, if I see someone walking the cold who obviously shouldn't be walking in the cold (I'm talking -30C), I offer a ride when I drive by.

I'll give to buskers who have real talent, and are working hard.

I donate stuff monthly to thrift stores, and never sell my old stuff after I no longer need it -- I always give it away.

I very rarely give to any large organization, I think the personal help that you can give to those in need is 1000x more valuable than just giving cash to someone else and hoping that it actually helps someone. And it also feels 1000x better to be able to see the appreciation and shock on someones face; then they may spread that joy a little or have it liven their day, the effect is manifold.

There is a huge difference in giving service vs giving money.

My 2 cents ;)

Billy
23rd December 2012, 19:32
I used to donate to many charities, mostly by direct debits through the bank. But my experience during the Bosnian war opened my awareness to the criminal activities of exactly where donations ended up. For example, Criminal Mafia organizations.

So to make sure that the fund raising activities i was involved with to assist the Bosnian Muslims, Arrived for the people i was trying to help, I created my own charity organization, After fund raising events in the form of small music festivals, writing to various businesses, I purchased 2 Mini Buses to help kids get back to school. I drove them to Bosnia and delivered them myself.

I no longer have this activity in my life, But my good friend Magnus who also was inspired by his Bosnian Experience at the same time, carried on his great work
which now covers more than 40 countries worldwide. Working from his tin shed not far from me he has helped thousands of children in India, Africa, Haiti. etc.

Magnus is someone i trust. He provides one decent meal per day to children at school, this encourages them to come to school to be fed and be educated. I know my donations are making a difference.

Mary's Meals is the name of the charity.

EowuHMxIrxk

gffFOkH19Mo

Peace

Nanoo Nanoo
23rd December 2012, 20:21
Yes i do but i donate my time.

I have set up a sort of casual councelling and healing service that has by fait helped people rehabilitate and re integrate into a good society.

I have a web site advertising free treatment to people who are below sustainability. This is direct charity and it is most effective.

I combine this withhealing practice mainly by using correct sequence of words. I have found that to be most useful.

Charity is about helping one help them self.

N

Billy
23rd December 2012, 22:28
Thanks for the input everybody. You guys read me well, here is my issue with charity:

I have been thinking about volunteering but I have medical issues which manifest sporadically and often screw up plans. On top of that, I really really want to help out those who live in countries which have no say in geo politics.

This may be a lot of work but for Christ's sake when I think of how hard some people have it the least I can do is try.

Magnus is someone i trust. He provides one decent meal per day to children at school, this encourages them to come to school to be fed and be educated. I know my donations are making a difference.
Mary's Meals is the name of the charity.
Peace[/QUOTE

I could introduce you to my friend Magnus. A beautiful Man. Founder of Mary's meals.

I bet this wee lass Martha from Scotland did not expect what would manifest when she started a blog about school meals here in Scotland.

I1zKIdV-oxY

Peace

Nenuphar
23rd December 2012, 22:56

I like that perspective - thank you. Nice one! :tea:

TigaHawk
23rd December 2012, 23:44
I currently work for a non profit organisation that rely's heavily on donations and government grants to operate.

this organisation supports people with an intellectual disability, from childhood to adult hood, to the point where they buy homes, and hire support workers so they have a home and can live when their parents pass on, or are no longer able to take care of them.

Realy good cause right?

There is a dark side to everything my friends!

The person that runs this organisation, is a Technology freak. We have THE LATEST computers, tablets, iphones, ipads. Our budget seems unlimited, i allmost got myself in serious trouble because my manager wanted me to throw out a perfectly good and working $800 iphone because it was "too much trouble" to get it unlocked ( i was PISSED at how quickly they wanted to throw $800 away when i see elderly people come in and donate.. and you KNOW the elderly here get BARELY ENOUGH to scrape by with their pension......) The "service users" are given old dell CELERON pc's (allmost what.. 10years old now?) because "they dont need anything better". Alot of the support workers that have PC problems have the mentality that getting them fixed or replaced is like getting blood out of a stone. Yet in head office, its a common occurance for some of the ..................... from upstairs send through a request for a new PC becuase their "current one is too old and should have been replaced long ago" (their pc was barely 2 years old.....)

They force all their staff to do spend a day with the "Service users", so you understand what it is like being in their shoes. I did mine, and i got invited to a Graduation ceremony for one of their literacy and learning classes, and i went!! it was wonderfull, it felt great, especialy seeing how far some of them had progressed since i first saw them (one in particular, would not talk to anyone, would sit by themselves... well, she was still not talking, but the look on her face, and she was running around to her other classmates, its huge!)

The director of this organiisation did not go to this ceremony, i asked around since, he doesnt go to any of the graduations. But whenever there is a fundraising event, meeting with government big-wigs for funding, or any sort of advertising for this organisation, his smug face is there.

I honestly believe there is no organisation that is true to what they say they do. Alot of money gets siphoned away into employee's pockets, and only a fraction to the people they say they are there to help.

I also believe (and know....) that there are people out there who beg, and make themselves look alot worse off than they realy are, it is their job to beg! its an easy way to make money! Between my house and the train station, smack bang in Brisbane CBD, there is often a young woman in a wheelchair that parks it along the side where all the people pass by (direct rout from train station to the mall, so it is very busy) She has nothing from her knee's down (amputated). When i first saw her she asked me for some money for food. I gave her a 20, she said are you sure? im like yes!.

I walk past the pretty much every day. With my new job at this non-profit organisation, i also see her on the train headed into the city, with a brother or close friend. She self mutilates, track marks on her arms, and most noticablly, has enough money not only to get food, but dye her hair red on a regular basis, and has a brand new book in her hand every week.

If you want to give genuine, real, charity, you have to do it yourself, and money is definately not the solution to all problems.....

Allways two sides to the story..... there is never just one....

**Edit*** Just wanted to point out, the organisation that i work for does do great things for the people that need it..... but it is very apparent that there is alot of money being misused and thrown around on things it should not. The people on the front lines, looking after the service users, teaching the classes, allways need more funding, assistance, and facilities.... but getting money for them is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE in comparison to how easily money is thrown around for people in head office. Hell they've bought a model of all the new big name tablets, just so the manager in IT can pick out the best one for the director to use personally. That was done with company money. The ones he doesnt want will be given to the IT managers and other favorited staff. Makes me angry >.<

rgray222
24th December 2012, 01:11
I rarely donate money but I do donate time, not much time at all, but enough to get a look inside the charities and enough to make a little difference.

GloriousPoetry
25th December 2012, 20:31
I use to donate to charity until I realized that when we do that we are supporting lack and this enables the pattern to continue.

Taurean
25th December 2012, 20:38
If our Governments served the People then there wouldn't be any need for Charitable organisations, it's just another stealth ( conscience ) tax.

hangel
26th December 2012, 00:32
Occasionally i give clothes and other no-longer-needed items to 'help the aged'. It kind of makes me feel sad when i hear that older people are getting easily forgotten and when they develop disability then the family seem to forget that these old parents spend teen years to bring the child up and now they are not needed. I dont know if this charity is corrupted or not. Every now and then they send me statement with how much money they rise out of my donation. AND AND interestingly they always say that i can CLAIM THE MONEY BACK for sold items. Yes, if you are registered donor then you can get some % of tax exemption from that income..

Honestly, im not giving these items to them to claim the money. Thats weird! i want the money to be spend on older people. Period. By sending this kind of suggestions they kind of rip me all the pleasure of giving. I dont need anybody selling my crap for me.

This is why i often look for less material ways to help people. I mean ways that wont involve obvious money exchange. I would spend time and effort for other people. This could mean money if i wanted to charge them, but i dont. i go and help or teach or do a favour for somebody, often i dont even know that person, but help with no money exchange is just so rewarding. In some cases it cost me to do something for somebody, but i dont count every penny.
But there was a case when i gave money to somebody because i knew he needs it for his bills.

All depends on what kind of charity gives you a sense of fulfilment.