PDA

View Full Version : The Power to Choose Freedom

Brook
27th March 2010, 14:17
The power to choose Freedom

"Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom." We have heard that many times. What is also the price of freedom is the toleration of imperfections. If everything that is wrong with the world becomes a reason to turn more power over to some political savior, then freedom is going to erode while we are mindlessly repeating the catchwords of the hour, whether "change," "universal health care" or "social justice."

What we strive for , a "utopia" society structure with perfection...how to create perfection?

Let's go back to square one. The universe was not made to our specifications. Nor were human beings. So there is nothing surprising in the fact that we are dissatisfied with many things at many times. The big question is whether we are prepared to follow any politician who claims to be able to "solve" our "problem."

If we are, then there will be a never-ending series of "solutions," each causing new problems calling for still more "solutions."

Therein lies the never-ending quest, costing ever increasing amounts of the taxpayers' money and ever greater losses of your freedom to live your own life as you see fit, rather than as presumptuous elites dictate, driven by power and greed ..don't forget where the power elite play their game..Ultimately, our choice is to give up Utopian quests or give up our freedom. This has been recognized for centuries by some, but many others have not yet faced that reality, even today. If you think government should "do something" about anything that ticks you off, or anything you want and don't have, then you have made your choice between Utopia and freedom.
You have given your power to choose away to the very people who have taken it away.

Food for thought...the illusive utopia does exist..where does it exist?
It the mind of every one...in the KNOWING it does exist...but for who..and where..and when is the choice we must decide

Fredkc
27th March 2010, 15:22
G'Mornin', Brook;

If everything that is wrong with the world becomes a reason to turn more power over to some political savior, then freedom is going to erode while we are mindlessly repeating the catchwords of the hour, whether "change," "universal health care" or "social justice."
It always amazes me that in politics, and religion both, everyone is always clamoring for a "savior" that will rescue them, MOSTLY from themselves. That they will hand over their freedom (politics), or free will (religion), or even both to someone who comes along claiming to have their answer.

Once again, a question of balance. Or maybe a hope for it.
To me, the idea of free will, without the freedom to express, and explore it, is like having one arm gripping the bar, and the other one flapping in the breeze.

Fred

Brook
27th March 2010, 20:34
Good morning Fred!

Excellent way of putting it. I once read the White book by Ramtha...and weather you believe in the channeled information or not..the book talks of a Utopian society that seems it could really work if there were no controlling factors, and manipulated solutions....Ideas flapping in the breeze indeed ;)
G'Mornin', Brook;

It always amazes me that in politics, and religion both, everyone is always clamoring for a "savior" that will rescue them, MOSTLY from themselves. That they will hand over their freedom (politics), or free will (religion), or even both to someone who comes along claiming to have their answer.

Once again, a question of balance. Or maybe a hope for it.
To me, the idea of free will, without the freedom to express, and explore it, is like having one arm gripping the bar, and the other one flapping in the breeze.

Fred

stardustaquarion
27th March 2010, 21:58
From an early age I was interested in freedom, maybe because I had an oppresive father, maybe because I lived under a military regime...I wanted to be free and I blamed people because I thought it was people that entrap you and take the freedom of being what you are...now I have come to realize that I am free to be who I am now, it does not matter whether anyone loves me or not, what it matters is that I am free and I can chose what I think and where I am going. I no loger follow society's convetions, I no longer try to fit in, I just accept myself as I am now...and you know what, I have more friends than ever and all that I need...it is just a shift on beliefs. We can all be free now if we decide to be free :wave:

Brook
27th March 2010, 23:04
Stardustaquarion...it is truly our choice..and when I think of choice and freedom Henry David Thoreau comes to mind...a quote....

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor " ;)

Brook
27th March 2010, 23:34
Freedom, from an existential perspective, cannot be separated from responsibility. With freedom comes responsibility. Yet, it is common for many people to seek freedom while trying to avoid responsibility. While, at times, it appears that people may be able to succeed at this, there remains a psychological consequence. This consequence is often not very noticeable, but may find expression through guilt, anxiety, depression, or even anger.

Existential freedom is not the same things as freedom in the political sense we often think of it in America. In fact, political freedom could be view to be a rather shallow, though not unimportant, type of freedom. A person can be existentially free despite not being politically free, and a person can avoid embracing their existential freedom despite being offered great political freedoms.

There are several common examples of how people avoid responsibility in American culture. Conformity is one good example. Americans pride themselves on being autonomous individuals to the point of idealizing individualism. However, upon closer analysis, Americans find extremely creative ways of giving up their freedom. Americans conform through blind allegiance to various organizations and institutions including political parties and religious institutions. This is not to say that being dedicated to either of these are bad. In fact, often they can lead to very positive outcomes. The problem comes with blind allegiance where a person gives up their responsibility to critically think through the beliefs, perspectives, and values of the organization. When this happens, the individual's values are no longer authentic.

When a person gives their allegiance to an external belief structure, they may go in one of several directions. First, they often will become very rigid in their allegiance to the organization or structure to which they have committed. This type of conformity can be seen through various forms of fundamentalism -- religious, political, psychological systems, etc.

Second, they may present as being very committed to a belief systems or organization, but they feel very comfortable bending the rules where it does fit their desires. It becomes easy to bend the rules because they are not really committed to the underlying values system. However, when a person is deeply committed to authentic moral or value principles, they are less willing to act in ways which contradict these principles. The principles are authentic.

Another way avoid responsibility can occur through the belief that one is powerless. There can be many factors which are seen to render a person powerless. A person can perceive themselves as a victim of their environment, of various supernatural or spiritual forces, their unconscious, or a victim of their biology/genes. While an existential approach will recognize that all of these factors may influence a person, none of them render a person powerless or completely control them.

Free will and Agency

The will and agency are common words used to describe aspects of freedom in existential thought. 'Will' is a word that most people recognize, but have difficulty defining. One way of defining the will is to state that it is that aspect of the self which chooses or is free. In stating that people have a free will does not necessitate that they are entirely free. Rather, it is affirming that people are at least partially free. Few, if any, existential thinkers will deny that our biology, culture, and environment influence our actions and our will. However, none of these can take away the reality of some degree of personal freedom.

The idea of the will is an important point from a classical perspectives which generally is much more pessimistic about how free a person can be . This, in part, is due to conceptions of the unconscious. While both theories generally agree that we have an unconscious which can never be fully known, existential theories typically believe that the unconscious can be much more than theorists believe.

Agency is a complex term that many struggle with. In essence, a person is acting as an agent when they are exercising their will. Human beings sometimes act in a manner that is completely passive. That is, although they have the potential for will, they do not exercise it. In these instances, they are not acting as free agents; instead, they are merely acting as automatons or products of those forces which influence the individual. Therefore, the potential for agency is part of the human condition, but it is a part often not utilized.

Conclusion
Freedom and responsibility are foundational in understanding the human experience. If we are not free, then the other existential questions take on a very different purpose. However, if people are free, then issues of meaning, relationship, and human limitation take on a very different meaning.

http://www.existential-therapy.com/Special_Topics/Freedom_and_Responsibility.htm

Steven
28th March 2010, 11:53
Hello Brook. If I can contribute to your thread, here is my perception. The notion of Freedom is not that easy to grasp, because in our world, it was often linked to the notion of Power. But if, like you said, we go back to the Universe and look at Nature around us, we can have a glimpse of a different kind of Freedom. Because ultimately, the meaning of Freedom for anybody, is the answer to the simple question: I am free to do what?

Knowing the Universal Laws, knowing who we are and what we are here for is another notion of Freedom. If we compare someone with a lot of money and Power with someone having a vast knowledge of the Universe in which we live, both have Freedom, but their Freedom is quite different.

It is not the money we have that matters, but what we do with it. If Power and money put someone on the verge of devolution, destruction, oppression (in all its form), then Freedom becomes its opposite. To me, the guideline is balance and harmony. Unfortunately, in our society, what gives power to someone is not directly the amount of money he has, but the difference between his assets and the rest of the people. In other words, keeping the poors very poors and numerous is of prime importance for the ones in Power to maintain their Power. In the light of harmony, evolution and freewill, this kind of notion of Freedom is a trap, in which many falls.

My personal notion of Freedom begins with consciousness. If we are aware of the soul we are. The Spirit of Creation who dwells in our Heart. The mechanism of the Universal Laws and Principles. The Nature of our planet. I really feel being the master of my own life in expanding my personal awareness. This is my personal notion of Freedom.

Writing about Freedom is vast. It is never ending. We always have something more to add. It really ask for everyone's contribution...

Great thread!

Namaste, Steven

Brook
28th March 2010, 14:46
Hi Steve....Thank you for your self realization of freedom....that is the intention of this thread ..to give each and everyone the "power to choose freedom" through that self realization.

In conscious awareness, to wake it up and give it the power.

The power to be free

THE eXchanger
3rd April 2010, 05:19
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THE eXchanger
3rd April 2010, 05:21
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx