PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recomend a cheap but good gas generator please?

EYES WIDE OPEN
14th January 2013, 14:27
something like this? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=gas+generator&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.d2k&biw=1600&bih=857&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6770228536335888585&sa=X&ei=tRX0UMfdII-EhQfg6oGIBg&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAA

does anyone have one or knows of a good model?

Richard S.
14th January 2013, 14:44
Hi,

I've been looking into this for a while now.

Seems like the best ones would be diesel. Gas has it's storage limits, 6 months I believe.

Also heard propane is good.

As fas as diesel goes, it probably will be my option since I have oil heating combined with a thermo-pump.
I use very little oil but I like to keep the reservoir full. Seems like I can run the diesel generators on that very same "fuel".

I also have been looking into solar power, looking to build some panels on my own.

FYI,

Rick

scotusa
14th January 2013, 17:52
something like this? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=gas+generator&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.d2k&biw=1600&bih=857&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6770228536335888585&sa=X&ei=tRX0UMfdII-EhQfg6oGIBg&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAA

does anyone have one or knows of a good model?

Try this, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/generators/buying-guide.htm

lunaflare
14th January 2013, 18:16
I no longer own a car. Too pricey.
I borrow a car if necessary (pay for gas of course).
The "bartering" system between friends can work.
I use a bike, buy local and use public transport when possible.
I have saved money this way. In principle, I also not like being gauged with registration, insurance and license renewal fees. Keeping off roads shared with other drivers is also safer! :whistle:

EYES WIDE OPEN
14th January 2013, 19:12
Just realised I posted this in the wrong forum. Should be in the power forum.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Diesel seems the way to go.
That consumer link is very useful too. Thanks!

Strat
14th January 2013, 20:18
For what it's worth:

My 'other' job is with a sign company and I often have to bring a generator with me for installs. The generator I use is a Honda and the business (my parent's) has been using it for 20 years. I've been using it for like 10 years myself and have never had problems with it. Every now and then I'll change the oil and clean the air filter but that's it. It doesn't hesitate to start, smoke, or anything. Runs like it's brand new.

My only hesitation with the generator that the OP links to is that it features a "low oil shut-off feature." I, personally, wouldn't buy a backup generator with any feature like that. I'm very comfortable with mechanical systems though. Depending on your level of comfort you may want that feature.

Just as a heads up, these are VERY heavy (well over 100 lbs). I use a dolly to cart it around job sites but loading it in and out of the truck is a horrible task. I'm an average sized guy so anybody can load a generator in and out of a vehicle, I'm just sayin', ye be warned.