PDA

View Full Version : Robert Bales Lawyer: Client Suffers PTSD Thu, Jan 17, 2013. Mefloquine, the Untold Story!

Tesla_WTC_Solution
19th January 2013, 15:56
Please read and try hard to understand the following, part of it is a personal account from personal military experience! TWTCS KNOWS people who lost jobs directly after being given Mefloquine tablets. This is a serious issue worthy of a closer look.

People are leaving Mefloquine out of the Robert Bales Debate -- WHY?

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xFUcwtUGrRB_lpEGpQD2tA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzI1O2NyPTE7Y3c9NDUwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zMjU7cT04NTt3PTQ1MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-01-18T033701Z_1_CBRE90H0A1X00_RTROPTP_2_USA-AFGHANISTAN-TRIAL.JPG

I don't know how most of you feel about Robert Bales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bales).

Personally, I don't think he should be killed. I think he ought to be carefully kept alive and studied so that we know exactly what went wrong in his mind on the night those Afghani civilians were brutally slain.

I've been keeping up a bit with this case and wanted to share my reason for the interest.
Robert Bales was allegedly given doses of the drug MEFLOQUINE, a synthetic drug used currently as an anti malarial and also a torture aid at Guantanamo Bay Cuba.

The Pentagon investigated Mefloquine use near 2004 but found the side effects to be worth covering up, and continued giving it to the troops as a whole while gov't contractors like KBR men got to take the better drug MALARONE.

http://www.awa.asn.au/assoc/logoImages/Kellogg%20Brown.jpg

Well the pentagon was told in 2004 that Mefloquine causes BRAIN STEM DAMAGE in rats. It holds that the human brain concentrates the drug in its own tissues at a rate of 100x normal drug levels. Isn't that awful?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/The_Pentagon_US_Department_of_Defense_building.jpg

Robert Bales was in the ARMY and the Army never stopped giving Mefloquine to the troops, not even after I WROTE A LETTER TO OPRAH AND MY STATE ADJUTANT GENERAL about the evils of Mefloquine.

We may never know if Mefloquine could have caused the TBI which may have led to the slaughter of nearly a score of civilian men, women, and children. I guess if every man in Afghanistan carried a gun, that wouldn't have happened to them. But some of those men are at home trying to take care of their families and by my knowledge that is the kind of good people Robert killed.

But what was the role of our gov't in devaluing the life of Afghanis?
As a former Air Force troop I can tell you, they brainwashed us by making us watch footage of helicopters and drones hurting afghanis and other desert peoples. In BMT. The videos were set to rock music and we watched them as a class.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Lariam.JPG/800px-Lariam.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/%28RS%2CSR%29-Mefloquine_Structural_Formulae.png/800px-%28RS%2CSR%29-Mefloquine_Structural_Formulae.png

Mefloquine hydrochloride (Lariam, Mephaquin or Mefliam) is an orally administered medication used in the prevention and treatment of malaria. Mefloquine was developed in the 1970s at the United States Department of Defense's Walter Reed Army Institute of Research as a synthetic analogue of quinine. The brand name drug, Lariam, is manufactured by the Swiss company Hoffmann–La Roche. In August 2009, Roche stopped marketing Lariam in the United States. Generic mefloquine from other manufacturers is still widely available. Rare but serious neuropsychiatric problems have been associated with its use.

The army and air force are not presented to us as something that can stop, something that can be reasoned with or calmed. They are presented to us as symbols and objects of power, first strike, greater reach, and even greater oversight -- when you are in the crosshairs.

P.S. I witnessed my fellow airmen being given Mefloquine at the Army outpost K2. Unmarked bags, no paperwork. We many of us had pre existing mental illness.
Those pills ended the careers of at least three people. Believe it can happen.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/51/apatriot.jpg
__________________________________________________ _______

http://news.yahoo.com/u-soldier-charged-afghan-massacre-had-ptsd-lawyer-033701019.html

TACOMA, Washington (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier charged with slaying 16 civilians, most of them women and children, near his Army post in Afghanistan was diagnosed before his deployment as suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and a brain injury, his lawyer said on Thursday.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Robert Bales, a decorated veteran of four combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan who is accused of gunning down the villagers in cold blood during two rampages through their family compounds in Kandahar province last March.
Military justice experts say the post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) diagnosis, if substantiated, may prove of limited value in helping Bales' attorneys pursue an insanity defense but could make it more difficult for prosecutors to obtain the death penalty, even if they can prove premeditation.

The disclosure that Bales had been diagnosed with PTSD followed a hearing in which defense lawyers told a military judge they were preparing a possible "mental health defense" for Bales, who appeared in court wearing a green military dress uniform.
The judge, Colonel Jeffery Nance, said such a defense would require a formal psychiatric evaluation and that he would order a "sanity board" of independent doctors to review Bales' mental condition.

During Thursday's 90-minute hearing at Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, where Bales is being held, defense lawyers also deferred entering a plea on behalf of their client and waived a formal reading of the charges against him.

Asked by the judge whether he understood that the case against him could result in the death penalty, Bales, 39, an Army staff sergeant, replied, "Sir, yes sir."

http://www.beforeyoutakethatpill.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Roche.jpg

" In August 2009, Roche stopped marketing Lariam in the United States. Generic mefloquine from other manufacturers is still widely available. Rare but serious neuropsychiatric problems have been associated with its use." ~Wikipedia.org

http://axisoflogic.com/artman/uploads/2/Robert_Bales_victims501.jpg

Whether a few die, or many die, there are people who care.
And look where this conflict has brought us:

http://www.texemarrs.com/images/trinity_site_obelisk_0809.jpg

Tesla_WTC_Solution
19th January 2013, 17:10
side note about malaria: old timers used:

Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink, in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter taste. It is often used in mixed drinks, particularly in gin and tonic.

we use rat poison instead. :(

GoodETxSG
20th January 2013, 13:38
PTSD gets over used and thrown around a LOT. I have S-PTSD, not at all fun to live with as I am sure I am not easy to live with... Anyway, I thought I would drop this link in as it describes PTSD and discusses how it effects family. Interesting read and educational...
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/ptsd-epidemic-military-vets-families

Tesla_WTC_Solution
20th January 2013, 16:16
I've not gone to the VA, GoodeTXSG, but was diagnosed by the state with PTSD (not combat related).
It's VERY hard to live with,
and besides, if you already have a mental illness,
mefloquine can make it a lot worse.

Please read about mefloquine danger to troops,
there are many websites,
just Google them.

HERE.

http://homecomingvets.com/the-mefloquine-controversy-is-this-anti-malaria-drug-dangerous-to-your-health-long-term/

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/2/6

Hypothesis
Adverse effects of the antimalaria drug, mefloquine: due to primary liver damage with secondary thyroid involvement?
Ashley M Croft1* and Andrew Herxheimer2
* Corresponding author: Ashley M Croft AshleyCroft@compuserve.com
Author Affiliations
1 Surgeon General's Department, Ministry of Defence, St Giles' Court, London WC2H 8LD, UK
2 UK Cochrane Centre, NHS R&D Programme, Oxford OX2 7LG, UK
For all author emails, please log on.
BMC Public Health 2002, 2:6 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-2-6

The electronic version of this article is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/2/6

Received: 17 December 2001
Accepted: 25 March 2002
Published: 25 March 2002

© 2002 Croft and Herxheimer; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article: verbatim copying and redistribution of this article are permitted in all media for any purpose, provided this notice is preserved along with the article's original URL.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/04/military-new-concerns-antimalaria-doxycycline-mefloquine-041112w/

New concerns rising over antimalaria drug
By Patricia Kime - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Apr 11, 2012 6:22:47 EDT
Navy Sonar Technician (Surface) Seaman Douglas Corrigan placed a Skype call to his wife March 25, 2011, from Rota, Spain, shortly after taking his first dose of the antimalaria medication mefloquine.

Preparing for a mission to a malaria-endemic region, his unit watched a video on the illness, and corpsmen dispensed two drugs: daily-dose doxycycline, and mefloquine, taken weekly.

Corrigan doesn’t remember getting a choice. He received a blister pack of mefloquine and was told it could cause nightmares.

“He told me he didn’t feel good,” recalled Nicki Corrigan, his wife of three years. “He said, ‘I don’t feel like myself anymore.’ It was a really weird thing for him to say.”

Corrigan’s personality changed radically, she said. The straight-laced husband and father began chewing tobacco, drinking and carousing. He climbed outside a three-story building to see whether he would feel fear.

Months later, at home, he was found tiptoeing around his basement, pursuing imagined intruders. He ranted psychotically and complained of daily headaches.

Medical tests showed no traumatic brain injury, nor did doctors believe he had post-traumatic stress disorder. They began suggesting he had a personality disorder or was a malingerer, faking his problems to get out of the military.

crossed and tossed

brain stem injury

http://themefloquineissue.blogspot.com/2009/01/full-report-on-meqfloquine.html

SUNDAY, JANUARY 18, 2009
The Full Report on Meqfloquine
Mefloquine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mefloquine is an orally-administered antimalarial drug used as a prophylaxis against and treatment for malaria. It also goes by the trade name Lariam (manufactured by Roche Pharmaceuticals) and chemical name Mefloquine hydrochloride (formulated with HCl). Mefloquine was developed in the 1970s at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in the U.S. as a synthetic analogue of quinine.

Mefloquine
Systematic (IUPAC) name
2,8-bis(trifluoromethyl)quinolin-4-yl]-(2-piperidyl)methanol
Identifiers
CAS number
53230-10-7
ATC code
P01BC02
PubChem
DrugBank
APRD00300
Chemical data
Formula
C17H16F6N2O
Mol. mass
378.312 g/mol
Pharmacokinetic data
Bioavailability
?
Metabolism
Extensively hepatic; main metabolite is inactive
Half life
2 to 4 weeks
Excretion
Primarily bile and feces; urine (9% as unchanged drug, 4% as primary metabolite
Therapeutic considerations
Pregnancy cat.
C (U.S.)
Legal status

Routes
oral

Contents
1 Uses
2 Side-effects
2.1 Neurological activity
3 Chirality and its implications
4 Recent peer-reviewed research findings from Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR)
5 Proposed development of a commercially available safety test
6 Popular culture references
7 References
8 Further reading
9 External links

Uses
Mefloquine is used to prevent malaria (malaria prophylaxis) and also in the treatment of chloroquine-resistant falciparum malaria. As Mefloquine resistance spreads, Mefloquine has started to lose its efficacy.
Mefloquine is the drug of choice to treat malaria (though not necessarily to prevent malaria) caused by chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium vivax.[1]
Mefloquine has shown efficacy in an in vitro assay against Progressive Multifocal Encephalopathy (PML). Biogen Idec has recently announced that a trial of Mefloquine in HIV-related PML is beginning.[1]

Side Effects
Mefloquine may have severe and permanent adverse side effects. It is known to cause severe depression, anxiety, paranoia, aggression, nightmares, insomnia, seizures, birth defects, peripheral motor-sensory neuropathy,[2] vestibular (balance) damage and central nervous system problems. For a complete list of adverse physical and psychological effects — including suicidal ideation — see the most recent product information. Central nervous system events occur in up to 25% of people taking Lariam, such as dizziness, headache, insomnia, and vivid dreams. In 2002 the word “suicide” was added to the official product label, though proof of causation has not been established. Since 2003, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the USA has required that patients be screened before Mefloquine is prescribed. The latest Consumer Medication Guide to Lariam has more complete information.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
20th January 2013, 18:59
Airstrike kills at least 7 near Syrian capital
By BEN HUBBARD | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago

Four of BP's 18 Algeria gas plant staff still missing
By Estelle Shirbon | Reuters – 21 hrs ago

Massacre of over 100 reported in Syria's Homs
By Oliver Holmes | Reuters – 23 hrs ago

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?54573-9-11-Terrorism-and-Freedom&p=619647&highlight=syria#post619647

Tesla_WTC_Solution
23rd September 2013, 16:08
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/army-mefloquine-green-beret-anti-malarial-drug_n_3953584.html

Army Decides Elite Units Shouldn't Take Anti-Malaria Drug Known To Cause Permanent Brain Damage
By PAULINE JELINEK 09/19/13 03:00 AM ET EDT AP

FOLLOW: Army Anti Malarial Drug, Army Malaria Drug, Army Mefloquine, Mefloquine, Politics News
WASHINGTON -- The top doctor for Green Berets and other elite Army commandos has told troops to immediately stop taking mefloquine, an anti-malaria drug found to cause permanent brain damage in rare cases.

The ban among special operations forces is the latest development in a long-running controversy over mefloquine. The drug was developed by the Army in the 1970s and has been taken by millions of travelers and people in the military over the years. As alternatives were developed, it fell out of favor as the front-line defense against malaria, a mosquito-borne disease that international health officials say kills roughly 600,000 people a year.

The new prohibition among special operations forces follows a July 29 safety announcement by the Food and Drug Administration that it had strengthened warnings about neurologic side effects associated with the drug. The FDA added a boxed warning to the drug label, the most serious kind of warning, saying neurologic side effects like dizziness, loss of balance and ringing in the ears may become permanent.

The drug's other side effects include anxiety, depression and hallucinations – conditions that some military families over the years believe prompted psychotic behavior in their loved ones, including killings and suicides.

Quoting the FDA's July safety warning, the Surgeon General's Office of the Army Special Operations Command sent a message to commanders and medical personnel last Friday ordering a halt in prescribing mefloquine for malaria prevention for the approximately 25,000 Green Berets, Rangers, Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations soldiers, command spokesman Lt. Col. Dave Connolly said.

The message also told commanders and medical workers to assess the possibility that some of their troops have been sickened by the drug but may mistakenly have been thought to be malingering or to have post-traumatic stress disorder or other psychological problems. That's because symptoms of toxic levels of mefloquine in the brain may mimic or be mistaken for other disorders. The message said questions about suspected cases of mefloquine toxicity should be submitted though the War Related Illness and Injury Center of the Veterans Affairs Department, which has been studying the issue.

"What this is is a wake-up call telling troops, `Look, you've been misinformed,'" said Remington Nevin, a former Army physician and epidemiologist who studies the psychiatric effects of anti-malarial toxicity at the Department of Mental Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Nevin is a critic of military policy on mefloquine, which he says the Pentagon should have stopped using years ago, particularly because it confounds diagnosis of PTSD and traumatic brain injury, two signature health issues of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Others point out that the drug has been effective in preventing malaria and many people have preferred it because it is less expensive and has to be taken less often than alternatives.

"I take mefloquine when I travel," said Dr. David Sullivan of the Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute. "For 80 percent, 90 percent of the people, they have no trouble with it."

Mefloquine is still prescribed to the traveling public and to volunteers in the Peace Corps, which also has reduced its use.

The new prohibition among commando units goes beyond guidance from top Defense Department health officials, who say mefloquine use by the different branches of the military has been dramatically reduced in recent years but is still given to troops who can't use alternatives.

The drug was given to 2,417 uniformed and civilian defense personnel and family members in the first seven months of this year, compared with more than 20,000 in all of 2009.

The Pentagon says it doesn't have data on the number troops who may have suffered ill effects from the drug. But two days after the FDA announcement, the department began a review "of potential neuropsychological effects on service members who were prescribed mefloquine," said Lt. Col. Cathy Wilkinson, a defense spokeswoman.

The review is expected to be finished in January.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
23rd September 2013, 16:14
I knew two men who became SO very sick after the deployment of the 130th AW where we were given UNMARKED BAGS of this **** on an ARMY BASE called K2, Kharshi Khanabad, in Uzbekistan, in 2004.

They gave it to us and said take a pill every DAY for 15 days -- you're supposed to take this **** weekly at most, unless you are already severely afflicted by malaria.

Malarone is the drug of choice and it was given to Kellogg Brown Root/Halliburton employees while the US Air Force and national guard were being poisoned in the line of duty --

The two men in my section lost their entire careers, their marriages, their sanity, and their friends, within one ****ing year of taking that drug.

I wrote an open letter almost 4 years ago on prisonplanet and on my blog, to General Allen Tackett, hoping to publicize the risk and danger being thrust upon noncombat troops in the war zone.

Now that Robert Bales and other military men have been completely disgraced and keelhauled by the media over what they did, you should know that they had been mentally compromised by following orders to take a drug that would effectively end their lives.

Bob
23rd September 2013, 19:14
Hi Tesla - I have used Malarone they have it mixed as follows Atovaquone and Proguanil Hydrochloride (expensive). I have used this for preventing Malaria symptoms. It does make one a bit loopy at the start, and can be toxic over long periods. The most I have ever used for Malaria prophylaxis was 28 days for the cycle.

Although I do know Halliburton folks who absolutely will not even use that and think that the medicines proplylaxis are worse than the malaria itself. I frankly wouldn't risk it (not having prophylaxis), and Dengue (no known prophylaxis) and Malaria from Mosquitoes is not something to play around with IMHO. I would never use Melfloquine personally.

The Mefloquine is the most horrible stuff I have ever heard of or researched. I know folks who have had various types of "military" inoculations and preventative meds which have put them through hell.

This is in from Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/army-mefloquine-green-beret-anti-malarial-drug_n_3953584.html