PDA

View Full Version : Can We Avoid "Bad Luck"?

music
25th January 2013, 07:16
When I was young, my mother gave me some advice that I didn’t fully appreciate at the time. My mother was an exceptional woman, and over the course of my life I have been happy to find the seeds and jewels she planted within me. Her advice was: prepare for the worst, and it most likely will not happen. This might superficially appear old paradigm, like taking out insurance, or being controlled by fear. When questioned, however, she replied: “there is no need for it to happen if you are prepared for it.” She went on to tell me this applied to all things, not just making sure you had a spare tyre. From where I am now, I see the energetic perfection in her remarks, and the principle works well for me. Whenever I consider the results or consequences, or possible accidents, in any given situation or action, two things happen: firstly, I learn all the lessons I need to learn through the consideration, so there is no energetic attraction within me for the lesson; secondly, consideration will often show me a different way – a better way – and so I act from the consideration of the heart, rather than the mind, and so I do more good and less harm. I am not perfect; I forget the simplicity of this sometimes. I apologise for any fallout from the times I act without consideration, but offer that this is a good principle with which to refine our relations with each other here. After all, becoming needlessly estranged from a person of good heart is pretty bad luck in my book.

The Arthen
25th January 2013, 08:57
After all, becoming needlessly estranged from a person of good heart is pretty bad luck in my book.

Nicely said. Of course it also doesn't mean that one shouldn't look out for oneself if the person really is bad news.

This comes usually after some period of maturity and thinking things through.

I realized that the youth of the manufactured culture, often like to dramatize 'estrangment' to make themselves feel like they are the 'unwanted' of the world.
And in doing so, they actually NEEDLESSLY or OVERLY estrange themselves from people more than necessary.

Not because half the time that they really were betrayed by people - but also to do with partly their urge to romanticize the estrangement as some sort of "drama".

And please folks - for those who think this is a "woman" thing; it just goes to show how ironically backward that is.

Most of my experience with these kinds of "youth romanticizing of estrangement" actually come from males....

markpierre
25th January 2013, 10:39
When I was young, my mother gave me some advice that I didn’t fully appreciate at the time. My mother was an exceptional woman, and over the course of my life I have been happy to find the seeds and jewels she planted within me. Her advice was: prepare for the worst, and it most likely will not happen. This might superficially appear old paradigm, like taking out insurance, or being controlled by fear. When questioned, however, she replied: “there is no need for it to happen if you are prepared for it.” She went on to tell me this applied to all things, not just making sure you had a spare tyre. From where I am now, I see the energetic perfection in her remarks, and the principle works well for me. Whenever I consider the results or consequences, or possible accidents, in any given situation or action, two things happen: firstly, I learn all the lessons I need to learn through the consideration, so there is no energetic attraction within me for the lesson; secondly, consideration will often show me a different way – a better way – and so I act from the consideration of the heart, rather than the mind, and so I do more good and less harm. I am not perfect; I forget the simplicity of this sometimes. I apologise for any fallout from the times I act without consideration, but offer that this is a good principle with which to refine our relations with each other here. After all, becoming needlessly estranged from a person of good heart is pretty bad luck in my book.

Good one Music. I was thinking 'not if you need it', and leave it at that. But you're so right. We need that confrontation because all lessons are passing through barriers,
but we can complete the process and maybe not have to see that one again.
But I will emphasize 'if you need it', and perhaps luck is just a very human idea for not understanding providence.
It works in it's best interest, not necessarily our own preferences.
I would imagine the greatest benefit should be my preference. If I always want it my way, well then I can probably have it my way.
But I don't know which way is best. Not without deferring to a belief or a value system. And I can't know where anything will lead me.
My way leads to exactly where I tell it to, and that's it.

The hardest experiences I've had I could never have prepared for, and they were the most impacting and changing. Almost impossible things.
I think there's a balance somewhere between flowing with providence, and keeping control. My ideas of love are just ideas. I like them enough
to feel compelled to protect them.
But it's hard to know really what's going on with the heart, because when it's really open, it's spontaneous.
And it's not very, when it's watched.
I'd rather be where I am in my heart so I know where I am, and have learned not to judge it, than be telling it what to feel.

music
26th January 2013, 03:14
After all, becoming needlessly estranged from a person of good heart is pretty bad luck in my book.

Nicely said. Of course it also doesn't mean that one shouldn't look out for oneself if the person really is bad news.

This comes usually after some period of maturity and thinking things through.

I realized that the youth of the manufactured culture, often like to dramatize 'estrangment' to make themselves feel like they are the 'unwanted' of the world.
And in doing so, they actually NEEDLESSLY or OVERLY estrange themselves from people more than necessary.

Not because half the time that they really were betrayed by people - but also to do with partly their urge to romanticize the estrangement as some sort of "drama".

And please folks - for those who think this is a "woman" thing; it just goes to show how ironically backward that is.

Most of my experience with these kinds of "youth romanticizing of estrangement" actually come from males....

It would seem to me that the estrangement of youth is programmed into them somewhat by media/society at large. It serves certain agendas well that we become estranged, and that the safe harbour of the loving family unit ceases to exist. Even seemingly aware people can be misled into actually working the agenda of destruction of the family unit, all the while thinking they are emancipating humanity. There are no shortage of people who will encourage us to find fault with our kin. While this can be empowering and liberating when honesty is coupled with "forgiveness" (especially in it's higher expression as "compassion"), more often than not we become estranged in the process. Our parents and kin are human, to expect them to have made no mistakes robs them of their basic humanity. Family is the first building block of community, and perversely, as a society becomes more truly communal, rather than weakening the family bond, our sense of family is augmented.

music
26th January 2013, 04:19

Good one Music. I was thinking 'not if you need it', and leave it at that. But you're so right. We need that confrontation because all lessons are passing through barriers,
but we can complete the process and maybe not have to see that one again.
But I will emphasize 'if you need it', and perhaps luck is just a very human idea for not understanding providence.
It works in it's best interest, not necessarily our own preferences.
I would imagine the greatest benefit should be my preference. If I always want it my way, well then I can probably have it my way.
But I don't know which way is best. Not without deferring to a belief or a value system. And I can't know where anything will lead me.
My way leads to exactly where I tell it to, and that's it.

The hardest experiences I've had I could never have prepared for, and they were the most impacting and changing. Almost impossible things.
I think there's a balance somewhere between flowing with providence, and keeping control. My ideas of love are just ideas. I like them enough
to feel compelled to protect them.
But it's hard to know really what's going on with the heart, because when it's really open, it's spontaneous.
And it's not very, when it's watched.
I'd rather be where I am in my heart so I know where I am, and have learned not to judge it, than be telling it what to feel.

For me, if I want everything my own way, I am always wary of the ego. If we have returned the ego to its rightful role as one part of our 3D toolkit, and if we seat ourselves in higher consciousness (or the "heart", these are synonomous to me), the chances that the things I want are also the things that provide for the greatest common good are high. The things we think we want are vastly different depending on where our consciousness is seated at the time.

modwiz
26th January 2013, 05:21
Can we? The question as posed, is about possibilities instead of probabilities. I would then have to answer yes, given the rather open field presented by possibilities.

music
26th January 2013, 06:55
Can we? The question as posed, is about possibilities instead of probabilities. I would then have to answer yes, given the rather open field presented by possibilities.

Exactly. Probability perhaps is a concept native to those who believe that numbers define our reality, where possibility belongs to those who believe that numbers are merely one way of describing reality.

markpierre
26th January 2013, 07:48

That steps quite neatly into the realm of the unbelievable. Unless we limit the possibilities.

But they occur in the spaces between the efforts. Usually with a very great deal of need to allow them, or a very refined ability to suspend everything you know.
How many will do that? Well, it can be done. The first method is more available.

What does it take to need it that badly? I don't know. It takes whatever it takes.

greybeard
26th January 2013, 07:53
One man's ceiling another man's floor.
What may seem like bad luck can lead to good fortune.

There is a long story were quuie a few bad things happened to a farmer--the villager said "Oh what bad luck" he said "Maybe so"
Last line was his son broke his leg---soon after all the villagers sons got called up to go to war---his son was allowed to stay home.
Every choice we make changes the potential of the future.

Chris

markpierre
26th January 2013, 08:03
For me, if I want everything my own way, I am always wary of the ego. If we have returned the ego to its rightful role as one part of our 3D toolkit, and if we seat ourselves in higher consciousness (or the "heart", these are synonomous to me), the chances that the things I want are also the things that provide for the greatest common good are high. The things we think we want are vastly different depending on where our consciousness is seated at the time.

That's sort of the issue really. I don't know anyone who knows where they've seated themselves, or if they use it for sedation. You sit where you sit.
If there's a judgement or if you're uncomfortable with that, that's the problem. Change is inevitable.
The only people I know that can identify what part of them is ego, really don't care what it does.
So I sort of give up on that.
Sometimes a volcano erupting or a fight with my partner is the greatest good. So I give up on that too.

music
26th January 2013, 22:28
One man's ceiling another man's floor.
What may seem like bad luck can lead to good fortune.

There is a long story were quuie a few bad things happened to a farmer--the villager said "Oh what bad luck" he said "Maybe so"
Last line was his son broke his leg---soon after all the villagers sons got called up to go to war---his son was allowed to stay home.
Every choice we make changes the potential of the future.

Chris

Yes, that is why “bad luck” is parenthesised. I know the above story, and while it may or may not predate the following verses from the Qu’ran, it is the same concept. In the 18th Surah (Al Kahf – The Cave), we find Moses accompanying Al-Khidr (the verdant one, the green man), and unable both to comprehend the actions of one seated in higher consciousness, or to transcend his ego and hold his tongue. Al-Khidr is an expression of the Trickster archetype, and more on this was in my very first post on Avalon here (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?32741-Are-you-a-Trickster)

18:65 And they found a servant from among Our servants to whom we had given mercy from us and had taught him from Us a [certain] knowledge.
18:66 Moses said to him, "May I follow you on [the condition] that you teach me from what you have been taught of sound judgement?"
18:67 He said, "Indeed, with me you will never be able to have patience.
18:68 And how can you have patience for what you do not encompass in knowledge?"
18:69 [Moses] said, "You will find me, if Allah wills, patient, and I will not disobey you in [any] order."
18:70 He said, "Then if you follow me, do not ask me about anything until I make to you about it mention."
18:71 So they set out, until when they had embarked on the ship, al-Khidh r tore it open. [Moses] said, "Have you torn it open to drown its people? You have certainly done a grave thing."
18:72 [Al-Khidh r] said, "Did I not say that with me you would never be able to have patience?"
18:73 [Moses] said, "Do not blame me for what I forgot and do not cover me in my matter with difficulty."
18:74 So they set out, until when they met a boy, al-Khidh r killed him. [Moses] said, "Have you killed a pure soul for other than [having killed] a soul? You have certainly done a deplorable thing."
18:75 [Al-Khidh r] said, "Did I not tell you that with me you would never be able to have patience?"
18:76 [Moses] said, "If I should ask you about anything after this, then do not keep me as a companion. You have obtained from me an excuse."
18:77 So they set out, until when they came to the people of a town, they asked its people for food, but they refused to offer them hospitality. And they found therein a wall about to collapse, so al-Khidh r restored it. [Moses] said, "If you wished, you could have taken for it a payment."
18:78 [Al-Khidh r] said, "This is parting between me and you. I will inform you of the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience.
18:79 As for the ship, it belonged to poor people working at sea. So I intended to cause defect in it as there was after them a king who seized every [good] ship by force.
18:80 And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared that he would overburden them by transgression and disbelief.
18:81 So we intended that their Lord should substitute for them one better than him in purity and nearer to mercy.
18:82 And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure for them, and their father had been righteous. So your Lord intended that they reach maturity and extract their treasure, as a mercy from your Lord. And I did it not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience."